Golden Frog Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Golden Frog Interview Questions

Updated Mar 23, 2017

2.6

Front End Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Golden Frog in February 2017.

Interview

The interviewers didn't seem prepared at all to interview me. One person arrived late and in a huff and refused to shake my hand when I stood up to greet her. The PM interrupted me in one answer to say, "THAT'S WRONG." The three people interviewing me kept referencing inside jokes and trying to seem "cool" but it came across as really awkward and unprofessional. They told me they would get back to me at the end of the next week but they took a month to contact me. They offered me a job, surprisingly (I can only guess they offered it to others first and they turned them down), despite me getting a bad vibe from the interview.
    They also claimed it was a "front end engineer" position but they don't use any JavaScript frameworks or even much JS at all and just wanted me to do CSS/HTML.
    I can honestly say it was the worst interview experience I've ever had.

Senior Product Manager - Mobile/Desktop/Web Applications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Golden Frog (Austin, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied to the position in October 2016. Almost a month later I was contacted by their recruiter who wanted to set up some time to speak. The recruiter seemed to be checking questions off a list ... but still the conversation seemed to go well. I was informed of next steps and told to look out for an invitation to interview with the President of the company.

A month went by and since I never got that invitation, I decided to send a follow up note to inquire about my candidacy. Its 2017 now and I still haven't heard back even though the role continues to show up in my job search agent.

Have the decency to reply back to candidates and inform them of their application status.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your current role and how that's relevant to this opportunity?   1 Answer

Product Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Golden Frog.

Interview

Applied online. About a week later I had a "gatekeeper" interview with a recruiter who had no business doing the interview. They were not knowledgable about the position, seemed to be checking questions off a list, didn't know the nuances of the work required for the position I interviewed for, and could not answer my questions with anything resembling coherence. It was disappointing and maybe it showed in my tone. I didn't get past the gate.

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Golden Frog (Austin, TX) in April 2016.

Interview

Phone screen with an HR Rep, in-person interview with the President, CTO, and another Product Manager. The third step was described as an in-person interview with other related people within the company, including software developers. The first in-person interview ended with a promise to contact me within a few days about next steps, however that took over seven days.

Interview Questions

• What opportunities do you see to improve our product?   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Golden Frog (Austin, TX).

Interview

This was probably the worst interview I've had. The interviewers were very scattered and did not have the interview properly set up. I was then taken to a tiny room where there weren't enough chairs nor anywhere to work out given questions. Two of the interviewers actually cussed multiple times in front of me and one of them would stare at me and chuckle when he didn't like the answer I gave to the questions. Very unprofessional, to the point to where I just wanted to get out of there.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have from your previous position   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Golden Frog (Austin, TX) in November 2015.

Interview

My initial screen with the recruiter went very well. I was then brought in to interview with the President and the Hiring Manager.

The interview with the hiring manager was exactly what you would have predicted. I was told that the next steps would be gaining access to the product and providing my own feedback.

However, the interview with the president was one of the worst interviews I had ever been through. There was not a single question that was asked regarding my competency for the role. Instead I was asked very inappropriate questions regarding my previous company. At one point it was clear that the president didn't even know which role I was interviewing for. It was a highly unprofessional interview and I believe there were questions that were asked that could be considered illegal.

Mobile + Cloud Product PM Interview

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Golden Frog.

Interview

Golden Frog appears to be full of smart, down to earth, underpaid people. I interviewed several times, like the others posting here, once on the phone and three times in person with different groups within the company.

It seems that none of the current apps in their portfolio make money or have clear KPIs attached to them, so this really muddies the water for what exactly they are looking for in a product manager, other than "here it is fix it". Each group I talked to had a different idea for what a product manager's role should be. While I wouldn't have minded trying to change some of these practices, I wasn't willing to do it for little pay.

When I was asked to come back for a fourth in person interview (this is about 10 weeks into the process) I asked what the salary range was having already told HR up front what I made at my last job. The maximum end of the range was 30% below what I had told HR. I was frustrated they would string me along all this time only to completely low ball.

Also, they don;t do signing bonuses so don't expect one. There is also no real bonus.

But again, the people seem really cool, so maybe if you are really looking for a lifestyle type job and don't mind getting paid very little, this could be it for you!

Also, they implemented one of my product suggestions (one click button in app to select fastest server) that I gave during an interview. It was either an incredible coincidence timing-wise, or they used my intellectual property and I didn't receive anything for it.

Don;t waste your time.

Linux Systems Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Golden Frog (Austin, TX).

Interview

I applied online and I believe I got contacted a few days later by a recruiter from golden frog. I did a phone interview and was contacted almost a month later for the 2nd interview with 2 managers. About a week later I got a offer and submitted my background check which took another week to process. Altogether the hiring process took 2+ months.

Interview Questions

• They asked me fairly simple questions such as how do you open up a text file, what a partition is, where are passwords stored and what my previous technical background was.   Answer Question

Systems Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Golden Frog (Austin, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online and got a interview a week later. When I got there, everyone was pretty casually dressed. The boss/manager came and got me from the front lobby and walked me to his office. There was 3 people in the office interviewing me: the manager, the engineer that I would be interning under, and another employee who joined in the interview watched and asked a couple questions, but wasn't really there for the interview.

I was asked a general questions like how I found out about them, what I knew about their products, general technical questions, what I can bring to the company. Overall they were easy to talk to, very nice and casual feeling. If I knew more about the company and the position being offered I would have done a lot better in the interview. The interview went well despite me not being very prepared. If I did some research on what the company did and what the position was about I would have done very well.

Interview Questions

• They asked me how well I know linux, like do I know what certain commands do. To explain what RAID is and a few of the different kinds. They asked if I knew what OOP was. Also they asked if I knew what the company did(which I honestly didn't) My biggest tip would be to know about the company and what the position does and you'll be fine.   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Golden Frog (Austin, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

Very simple, zero behavioral questions, strangely enough. Just got asked about school, my favorite language, and what I know about RAID and the rest of the time I spent asking my interviewer questions.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about RAID?   1 Answer