Golden Frog Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Rewarding Experience"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Golden Frog full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked at Golden Frog for just over 6 years. There are many reasons why I have enjoyed my time working for this great company.

1. They value my work. The company spent the first 4 months evaluating my job skills and ensuring I could meet the requirements of the job. I received consistent feedback on my performance, and as I was able to meet and exceed my manager's expectations, I was quickly given more.

2. The company seems to be consistently changing and adapting its processes as it grows. The company has steadily implemented Agile, first in the software teams, and now expanded throughout the organization. We were using Rally, but have recently moved to Jira. That decision was made because Jira was more able to support multiple teams working on projects. The Company has adopted Confluence, Slack and Sharepoint to facilitate documentation and coordination.

3. The executives at the company have worked together for a long time and have a track record of building successful companies. Over the last 2-3 years, they have reacted to employee's feedback in a positive way. The level of communication has grown exponentially. Most recently we moved to new office space, which was something many of us were asking for. They've expanded vacation, work from home, implemented a more casual work attire policy, and are investing in more training. I love that this company continuously expands its benefits year after year.

4. The 401(k) contribution plan is amazing. It does have a ramping vesting period, but now that I have been here for 6 years I am 100% vested. I currently receive a contribution equal to 12% of my compensation, and that contribution % grows every year. I have never had such a generous contribution and I feel like I have been rewarded for loyalty with the company.

Cons

When I started I wasn't married and the health insurance contribution was great. I've since married, and the cost of the spousal portion wasn't covered. This wasn't great, but the company has kept my overall compensation competitive, so it hasn't been a huge deal. However, other companies I have worked for provided some, if not 100% coverage of spouses and dependents.

Advice to Management

Please keep doing what you are doing. I love working for you and I plan to keep working for you for a long time.

I've read a number of the negative reviews, and I think that it is unfortunate that some people have not had the same positive experience I have. The company has many long term employees, and based upon my interactions with my co-workers, I think most people feel the same as me.

Jun 5, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. We are very excited about our new office, as well as expanding our PTO, it’s nice to hear you are excited about those changes too. Please continue to... More

"Culture cultivates fear instead of respect"

I worked at Golden Frog full-time

Pros

You will learn to keep your financial house in order, as you could be fired at any moment with no severance or notice. A good place to work if you are doing a dissertation on ineffective executive leadership.

Cons

It is glaringly clear that leadership is not respected beyond the Co-CTO and President level, and that leadership takes no consideration of the impact of their decisions beyond their ivory tower. The lack of desire to accommodate the voice of the director and manager leadership team in process discussion as well as a blatant vacuum of understanding of what it takes to deliver software in an efficient manner is not a culture anyone would want to be a part of.

To be clear, there’s some confusion in some of these reviews between CEO and president. The CEO has a good understanding of leadership and that to be successful you assemble a group of smart, talented people in a room and let them work to their strengths. In my opinion, the president does the exact opposite of this.

The president has been observed making shocking statements in meetings which highlight his apparent lack of understanding of project delivery. If an individual can’t understand what the words “At Risk” mean, they shouldn’t be leading a company. Making the statement "Scrum Masters have the easiest job in the world" is another example of not having an understanding of the importance of leadership to an organization. A belief that Project Managers are “limousines”, and not realizing they are a driver to results is another prime example of his statements to the staff. Telling your leaders “So What?” in regards to problems brought to them in team settings reinforce the belief that there is a fundamental lack of respect to individuals on the teams. It’s no surprise the most productive and collaborative time the company ever experienced was the four months the president was hands off from execution. The current culture is now a culture of “If someone doesn’t directly report to you, don’t even consider giving them an action item in a meeting.”

Golden Frog is doomed to join the long list of companies which a son has ruined their parents legacy as long as the CEO believes that talent outside his children cannot lead his companies to the next level. The sister company Data Foundry’s success is heavily dependent on leadership outside the family. Golden Frog’s president’s lack of exposure to other environments (and distrust of his staff) will tarnish the company brand and reduce its profitability in the long term - this is true at the CTO level as well. An effective CTO would push back on the irrational demands of the president, and stood up for their teams. Unfortunately, the CTO’s have no trust or faith in their organization, regularly belittle them, and make little to no effort to coach the members of their team. To be fair, one of the co-CTO’s has made tremendous strides in improvement, however they both would be served well with exposure in other companies to help them understand what leadership and teamwork truly is.

The president’s lack of faith in letting leaders expand outside their sphere of influence highlights the short sightedness that embodies his time as leader. It's painfully obvious to the teams that the efforts that both CTOs and president have attempted to embody have placed them all in an state of extreme discomfort. Their default position is mistrust and annoyance. After asking a few questions about a new process and how it would impact them, a manager made a statement to an executive (paraphrased) "You know I'm trying really hard to make this successful and want the company to succeed, right?" The executive's response, in a public area where this was heard by the managers' peers was "Actually, I don't." Who leads like this?

Another example is during the company Christmas party, when the leaders had the opportunity to intermingle with the staff and bridge the communication between leadership and individual contributors - instead they all chose to sit at one table, away from the staff. A leadership team who consistently gets feedback that there is an “Us versus Them” mentality and subsequently continues on this path of segregation truly doesn’t take feedback seriously. You should only consider joining Golden Frog if you have a strong desire to push a 20 year old company into the beginnings of adolescence.

It’s utter arrogance to believe that leadership shouldn’t be heard in a forum to discuss a new company wide process initiative. The president walked into a project retrospective with a solution, and cherry picked ideas which aligned with what he perceived as wrong, rather than listening to the individuals who actually experienced that pain and what they needed remedied. After weeks of being told individuals would have a forum to provide feedback and work towards a solution, the president arrived ten minutes late for the retrospective and asked his subordinates to remove the majority of the people invited to the meeting. They have a uneducated belief that a tool can replace people in process - analogous to thinking a screwdriver could replace a mechanic.

To be successful in leadership at a Powerhouse company your primary focus is to shield the talent from the short sightedness of executive leadership. The president’s default positions are to assert dominance rather than leadership, dictate rather than listen, fire rather than coach - if you research "Traits Bad Leaders Have" you will end up with a checkbox of traits I feel these leaders possess.

Leadership invests a significant amount of time attempting to discredit the negative reviews on Glassdoor as "disgruntled employees". Let's be clear - I'm not disgruntled, I'm sad to see such talent being abused. It was an affirmation in my beliefs as a leader to see our differences of opinion result in a huge swing away from success and team collaboration when I was forced to abandon them, and I wish the remaining team members the best of luck.

Advice to Management

Let the CEO see how the business is being dismantled from the inside, what a truly toxic place it has become, and bring in new C level leadership.

"Listening to Donald Trump..."

I worked at Golden Frog full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some decent people who work hard.

Cons

...reminds me of Golden Frog's CEO. Listening to the news over the last couple days and I kept thinking, where have I heard that before. It's the CEO. He's that type of crazy - with similar views of the world.

"Distrustful, Toxic"

I worked at Golden Frog full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers - smart, friendly, very rarely do you have someone who is toxic or difficult to work with
    Good location, easy parking

Cons

CEO distrusts employees and makes irrational decisions. The exec team is comprised of yes-people who charge their team (that'll be you!) to try to meet whatever terrible, irrational idea the CEO has come up with. One member of the exec team is particularly paranoid and toxic - that person successfully gets people fired if they are somehow threatening to their power or they imagine some slight. If you don't get fired, you will find it difficult to get anything done or have any influence if this person doesn't like you. They are paranoid and you are not dealing with a rational adult.

Exec team has no ability to plan strategically. They come up with irrational, unachievable goals and then drop them. They change course without notice. They do not communicate. They are used to running a small shop and don't understand how to plan and implement initiatives in a company of with multiple teams who have multiple stakeholders. Several key members of the exec team fundamentally don't understand Scrum. They don't understand how stories need to get written, vetted, and put in a sprint. They fundamentally don't understand planning. It's the long timers -- they use to run the company by themselves. They're very defensive, distrustful, and will not change.

When their bad decisions and terrible management lead to missed goals, they look for someone to blame. It's a CYA culture where everyone, including the members of the exec team, are trying to look for someone else to blame. Those with the least power tend to get tagged. That can be you. Yes, even if you've done nothing wrong.

On several recent occasions, they have offered jobs to individuals and then taken back the offers even after paperwork is signed. Those people are left without a job. If you accept a job here, PLEASE request something in writing from the CEO indicating your hire was approved! It's the CEO who is behind these incidents. He HAS TO approve your hire, otherwise you are in a very vulnerable position. It could be 2 days before your stat date! Be warned.

People are fired without notice here. They claim to do PiPs but do not. They may interview for your job behind your back and then fire you -- you will be told you did something wrong but it will be the first you've heard of it and they will have been planning it for a while. Even if you are a traditionally high-performer, this can happen to you if you're in the best place to be blamed or you offend the wrong person. They will likely fight your unemployment claim.

Be careful about giving two weeks' notice when you leave -- on several occasions, they let people go as soon as notice is given, and they do not pay you for the two weeks.

If you're thinking this won't affect you, please disavow yourself if that notion. Like a lot of others have said, I read these reviews and dismissed them. But they're true.

I left on my own accord.

Advice to Management

Oh sure, like they'll start listening now.

Jun 5, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. It’s certainly disheartening to read your level of frustration, especially regarding your belief that we would not have listened to your critical... More

"Depressing place to work. Toxic work environment."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Golden Frog full-time

Pros

You get a dedicated computer to work on.

Cons

I felt that that Golden Frog is a sick place to spend most of your waking hours. I existed in a place of fear, stress, intimidation, and poor decision making from management.

I felt that fear is what management uses to drive the company.

I observed very little stability at this company with such a high turnover rate of employees. It’s almost a comedy routine. “Where did so and so go?” “Oh, she quit.” or “Oh, he got fired.” How can so many people move in and out of such a small company?

The company moved to a new building but the upper management is mostly the same. It’s the same people that have worked for the company for a VERY long time. The company is family-run. I don’t see the culture changing. Keep this in mind if you plan to apply for any position at Golden Frog.

I experienced very childish behavior on the part of management, as well as poor decision making. This behavior is reflective of the childish behavior of senior management. I felt a pervasive “nasty” attitude that will never go away because it is perpetuated by senior management. Like attracts like and so new managers appear to “think” just like the senior management. As other reviews have stated the management needs serious training.

I never felt valued as an employee. There is a core group of long-timers. I felt the rest of us are just pawns. I felt that if you keep your head down low, you stay. I knew something was wrong early on when I started seeing so many people quit. I was verbally abused many times and wonder why anyone would stay there beyond a pay check.

I was reminded on a constant basis that you can be fired for any reason at any time. Yeah, we get it. If that is the attitude of the company then why would anyone want to work here? It’s ironic that there are social events for chili contests, costumes, and pumpkin carving. Who wants to participate in these types of activities when you are just waiting for the hammer to drop on your head?

The company holds meetings on a semi-regular basis but made no announcement to acknowledge the death of a fellow employee. There was no mention of where to seek counseling or of funeral services. There was a display in the foyer but that’s it. What kind of company treats employees this way?

The company provides a “bonus” in the form of a 401K contribution. I consider a “bonus” to be cash in my pocket - not something that will be taken away from me if I leave the company before the 6-year point. New employees could potentially wait over a year to receive ANY 401K contribution. How does this benefit the employee? Considering the extremely high turnover at this company it appears the company gets a lot of its 401K contributions back. I feel that the 401K “bonus” plan is a scam.

I witnessed a turnover rate of people in this company that is well beyond any company I have ever worked for. They don’t seem to know how to hire people or try to work with the people that they hire in order to keep them. It appears that one wrong move and you get the boot. I learned of a number of people that have flat out left the company due to poor treatment and is astonishing.

I felt there was always an extreme level of pressure to get whatever done quickly in time for artificial deadlines. Perhaps this kept the owners happy that we are rushing and seemingly productive, but actually getting no where. This process provided no room for thoughtful reflection and led to chaos on a day-to-day basis. I felt like it is an operational environment with constant damage control.

I felt employees are apparently seen as something to tolerate while making money for the company. It would be nice if the president, CTOs, etc., would stop by occasionally and ask how things are going but with sincere interest and not to find fault. Most of the time you get the cold shoulder.

There is one thing that I keep in mind from my experience at Golden Frog - your environment has very highly influence on your well-being. If you value your well being I recommend working somewhere else. If you value your career do yourself a favor and find another company to work for. I don’t recommend working here.

Advice to Management

Get management training. Hire a consultant to review your processes, handling of employees, and benefit plan.

Jun 5, 2017 – Human Resources

I am sorry you had such a negative experience at Golden Frog. As you know, you left behind 200+ employees that work within our organization. We do have many long-term employees, many of which have... More

"Sadly, not the place they advertise to be"

I worked at Golden Frog full-time

Pros

Most of the worker bees are great people and are doing a great job.
    There are a couple of managers that are doing their best to make a positive impact on their teams.
    Ability to work remotely a couple days a week.
    New office space (old one was dark, dreary, and depressing).

Cons

Basic benefits with high employee premiums.
    Sad PTO allowance.
    Cannot be proud of the company I worked for -- lots of unethical things going on.
    No community involvement.
    Senior directors and c-level people are just sad -- there is no clear path of where they are going, work to be done, or how to get there. The blame game is prevalent - because none of the family clan can ever admit wrong-doing.
    I have witnessed several occasions where people are walked out the door with no indication of what was coming (one time was a group of 6-8 team members all let go at the same time). Many of my coworkers (and me) were constantly on edge wondering if we were next to be canned with no explanation.
    Unfortunately, it seems that everyone from co-owners down to c-level management seem to think that they must present a heartless persona at least to the workers. I've known people to reach out to the owners for aid and not get any response -- and have witnessed the sad death of a co-worker that virtually went unnoticed by the upper management and owners.

Advice to Management

Realize that the company is made up of more than your family.
    Be more transparent with your employees about the company, it's future, it's struggles, etc. If you are, you would be surprised to see how much more your employees would care about the company.
    Bring in a consultant that can mentor the management team on how to manage the people of the company.
    Show the people that they are truly valued for all the work they put in.

Jun 5, 2017 – Human Resources

I am sorry you had such a negative experience at Golden Frog. We do value feedback, and as you know the company has been surveying and meeting with all staff to find ways to improve as an... More

"Toxic culture, poor benefits."

I worked at Golden Frog full-time

Pros

The products are great, and the office has a nice view.

Cons

- C-level executives, VPs, and Directors, at this place are terrible. Older reviews reflect the current state of affairs here.
    - Benefits are poor.
    - Very high turnover due to a hostile work environment, which creates a toxic culture.
    - Micromanagement and manipulation from the top all at the way down.

Advice to Management

Majority of the Directors and Executives all need a crash course in Management 101 and should be canned.

"Operations manager"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Golden Frog full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most coworkers are nice, knowledgeable and willing to help. The owners are personable minus their sons.

All the positive posts are coming from HR it's funny they actually ask employees to post positive posts on sites so more people want to work here. That is wrong on so many levels.

New gaming idea for faster connection is coming soon and being beta tested.

Cons

Salaries are LOW
    Benifits are horrible
    No short or long term disability offered
    No vision insurance
    Dental is expensive
    No life insurance offered
    No maternity offered
    No cell phone reimbursement but they want you to put it on your phone so they can monitor you
    401k is nothing fabulous
    Internal corruption between vendors and employees is clear but what do you expect from a small company that trusts too much
    Employees talk bad about each other and have no respect for management or owners
    Most employees seem to fear for their jobs on a daily basis
    One employee is so dramatic, wastes time talking and never gets any work done, than lies to people about others and blame others for being stressed out yet. When in all honesty they are doing it all themselves and upper management does nothing yet but it's coming.

Advice to Management

Clean house
    Stop trusting your long term employees they are taking under the table
    Give better salaries you can afford it
    Pay more into the health care to help employees, offer vision insurance, offer disability etc.
    Listen to good employees that have real concern for the company.

9. "Great company to get some experience at."

Current Employee - Linux Systems Technician in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Linux Systems Technician in Austin, TX

Pros

I had an all around great experience working at Golden Frog/Giganews. Really awesome people to work with and a great place to get some experience in the server/Linux world. I would recommend to anyone who is trying to get a start in the Linux field.

Cons

The pay is a bit lower then a lot of other companies out there and there wasn't a lot of opportunity to move up.

Advice to Management

The only advice to management that I could give is to try to find a little bit more opportunity to the individuals who are willing to learn.

10. "Technical Support Representative"

I worked at Golden Frog full-time

Pros

Great place to work! Very friendly staff in an very up and coming world. Everybody on the staff treats EVERYBODY with the most respect of any former places I've worked.

Cons

pretty long shifts that drain you. Tough to have kids and a wife while dealing with the shift rigors and daily life of being the only department that encounters customers daily.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you guys are doing. Every single supervisor I had during my tenure there was absolutely great. Engaged with the team daily and held our team to a high standard.