Goodby, Silverstein & Partners Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 9, 2018

2.6

Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners (San Francisco, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

The process at GS&P was great and very fluid. I interviewed first with the HR director and then moved on to members of the team (I think 10 in total). It was a long few days but everyone was very nice and easy to talk to. This interview style was conversational and relaxed.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel about brands responding on social media in times of crisis?   Answer Question

Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Someone in 'employee services' reached out to me on LinkedIn about the role a few months back and set up a phone screen that she ended up totally flaking on. Given I had been upfront that I was happy in my current job with her before we set up the call, that should have been the first red flag but I had so much respect for the agency that I decided to reschedule and eventually was invited in for round after round of in-person interviews amounting to one full day interview and three separate shorter interviews. It was almost too casual because nobody had any thoughtful questions to ask in my opinion. The interviewers were all nice but it was obvious there was a lack of direction and the team was not very cohesive. One interviewer, in particular, was about 20 minutes late and proceeded to engage in a conversation with someone else that had bursted into the room in the middle of what little time remained. Still, I was optimistic about the account I'd be working on and what I could bring to the role after I had received good feedback after each round. I finally met with someone returning to the agency who did not seem to understand the role at all nor had he been briefed on anything. This final interviewer was nice but at this point, it was clear the agency lacked direction and was pretty top heavy resulting in a culture that felt just checked out. I figured I'd flesh out some of these red flags if they presented a good offer. My recruiter then told me she would follow up with me "early next week". The next week came and went without a word so I made a call and emailed again to check in which went unreturned for yet another week. I then reached out to withdraw my candidacy and provide some feedback given their brand as an agency had been so tarnished by this whole process. Within minutes I received a "we are going in a different direction anyway" kind of response from my recruiter. No mention of the fact that I had called and emailed earlier to withdraw my candidacy given the experience. I forwarded the email chain to an agency partner and decided to just walk away feeling grateful I dodged a bullet and had gained a new appreciation for my current job I was already happy with. The recruiter asked to follow up on the experience I had mentioned but of course never bothered to respond when I suggested a few times for us to connect. I wasn't surprised given the experience I had had but it's still unfortunate that my time was wasted and that I was treated with such disrespect from an agency I had once admired.

Interview Questions

• Why are we hiring for this role and what does this role do?   Answer Question

Art Director Interview

Interview

Speaking to interns, the interview went well. I got hired on the spot. Your book speaks volumes, so without good previous work, it's probably pretty impossible to get a chance here. The chances of getting hired full time during the internship are slim to none.

Assistant Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

This is a company I had been wanting to work for throughout my advertising career. I could tell you all of their award winning campaigns and think through most of the strategic insight they unearthed. Unfortunately, the interview process really made me think twice about this agency.

I was first connected to the New York office by Rich Silverstein himself (met him at my university where he gave me a name of his coworker and I later found the person on LinkedIn). I had a brief informational interview with another woman and she referred me to HR at the San Francisco office. I contacted HR there and received very flaky responses and cancellations on phone meetings that we were supposed to have. The conversation ended there.

Five months later I contacted the same HR rep in SF, knowing she might be more interested in talking to me after getting more experience during a job I took in the meantime. She was interested and we had an informational interview that went well. She was nice and seemed friendly and easy to talk to. The interview led to her contacting me about a month later with a job opening. I was flown out to SF to meet with two account teams. I had seven interviews over the course of the two days. Times were moved around and meetings were rearranged but all seven interviews went on. The people seemed nice, though I had my reservations about the vibe of the office and the city as a whole.

Before I flew back home I sent HR a thank you note and asked when I would hear back from them. A week went by with no response so I sent another follow-up email. Nothing, so I sent another follow-up. Crickets. Another week went by (a total of 4 weeks) and I finally heard that they decided to go with another candidate.

Now if I would have heard within the first two weeks some kind of update that they were still interviewing candidates, I would have been completely fine and even more willing to accept that I did not get the job. However, after being strung along for an entire month with no update, I really lost respect for their HR process. Not something I want to deal with again.

Interview Questions

• After speaking about some work I had produced at my previous job, I was asked to evaluate my supervisor's decisions on the direction of the campaign.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners.

Interview

I met with the head of the department and recruiting manager and was contacted the next day to come back for interviews with people in the department I was applying for. I came back a couple weeks later and met with 4-5 people and was there for about 4 hours total. All of the interviews were casual and conversational, they just want to see if you would fit into the culture and if you're capable of the job you're applying for.

Application

Interview

At least 3+ rounds of interviews. Took roughly 3 weeks. The process was pretty easy and had great communication all the way through with the hiring team. Interview first with the hiring manager/HR team and then move on to the specific team/brand.

Interview Questions

• What is unique about you and what can you bring to the agency?   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners (San Francisco, CA) in June 2010.

Interview

The company seemed very chill. I noticed the dress code was casual and employees can bring their pets in which I thought was cool. The interviewing process itself was fairly standard. Meeting with two people, each interview took about 25-30 minutes each. I was asked what it is about marketing that interests me, what marketing projects I've worked on and what I know about the company. What happened after the interview is what was a huge let down for me. I was told they would contact me for a follow up group interview. I tried to get in touch with the company to follow up on my status and didn't hear back for weeks. And I heard I didn't get the job through word of mouth which isn't the most professional way to go about this.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners (San Francisco, CA) in March 2010.

Interview

I networked in through a friend that works there. I've heard that they don't accept random applicants as they are mostly concerned about culture/fit (aka "the beer test") and a solid agency background (which is great). I interviewed with their recruiting manager first and she did a great job grilling me -- lots and lots of poignant questions like why I left certain jobs, technical questions about my capabilities/digital experience etc... a few weeks later I interviewed with account directors and a group account director... all in all, it was a good interview experience and the people are nice.

Interview Questions

• Why did you leave this job?   Answer Question
    • They will ask if you're up to speed on the very latest in digital and mobile... etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners (San Francisco, CA) in March 2010.

Interview

I only had a day of interviews. It was a rapid fire of four different employees from varied levels within Goodby. They expect you to have a lot of questions, so be prepared to ask. They'll judge you if you don't have a good set prepared. You should ask about everything from how people like their jobs to what the group / project dynamics are. They're busy people, so don't waste their time with generic questions either.

Interview Questions

• What was the most difficult situation you've faced while managing a project and how did you manage it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

1 phone interview with HR, 5 interviews live in 1 day before getting a job offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not a lot of wiggle room with salaries, as there are tiers.