Gracenote Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Gracenote Interview Questions

Updated Sep 22, 2017

3.1

Design Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Gracenote.

Interview

A series of phone interviews leading to an internship position. Casual but corporate vibe. Everyone was very friendly on the phone and made the process easy and painless. Follow ups were scheduled promptly.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Queensbury, NY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Gracenote (Queensbury, NY).

Interview

Very comfortable (if that's possible) interview process. Spoke briefly with HR (not the same person from the phone interview though from someone from the Bay Area). Then was brought in front of the manager of the department, and then in front of a few developers. The architect was great at explaining the workings of the position and what was to be expected for the position, had been there for many years which is promising. Much more tech oriented than some other co's in the albany/upstate area. Seniors expressed that a lot of the software written was in-house, so I look forward to that.

Interview Questions

• Write pseudo code to reverse a string in place. Asked how you would go about solving something similar to the "Einstein Puzzle". Asked various relevant questions about working on a team, on which resources I relied upon in my day to day work, which program languages or other tech I am interested in learning in my free time. Interviewer seemed to grasp every technology that I brought up and mentioned where it might be applicable to the exact things they would expect me to be working on. Again, promising!   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Gracenote.

Interview

Asked about my previous role as a PM. They seemed to be looking for people with relevant work experience. Asked whether I had experience creating PRDs, product roadmaps. The recruiter came across as rude.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your previous role as a PM. What did you do? Why do you want to work for Gracenote?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Gracenote (San Francisco, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

The interviewer gave a brief overview of the company and what they do, asked me what I knew about the same, and then asked about my qualifications for the position — which languages I know, what databases and operating systems I am familiar with, and so on. We determined that the job wasn't a fit, but he proceeded to spend fifteen minutes discussing where to go from here with me, which was both unsolicited and incredibly helpful. As far as failed interviews go, this was the post positive I've had.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Gracenote (Emeryville, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

A telephone screening interview followed by 3 separate in-person interviews with a HR representative and 2 technical managers on the same day. I was asked several general questions regarding technology and responsibilities.

Interview Questions

• How would you create an efficient distributed logging system?   Answer Question

Content Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Gracenote (Emeryville, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

I applied via LinkedIn and received an email from HR a few days back. HR then setup a phone call with the hiring manager who asked few database questions. Then they sent me an assessment test which was moderately complex. I submitted the assessment in given time then I was invited for an on-site interview.

I must say they mentioned in an on-site interview that very few candidates completed the assessment so they invited everyone who completes the assessment. So if you got an assessment to completed; do it and you'll probably get an on-site interview!

PS. They have a beautiful view from the office. And they really make sure you're PASSIONATE about the music industry!

Interview Questions

• SQL questions. The person was expecting me to write queries. I told them that I can conceptually tell them how to solve the problem but I wasn't able to code because of lack of syntax practice   Answer Question
    • If you want to track the KPI's for the music industry, what all data you would want in your database?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Gracenote (Emeryville, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

Investigated company through GlassDoor and LinkedIn. Discovered a Gracenote developer who was known to a mutual acquaintance and chatted online a bit. Main point of interest: growing, dynamic company where people stay a while (6-10 years or more).

Applied online, phone call with company recruiter. Set up phone call with dev group's supervisor ("Product Owner"), had a miscommunication, set up for the following business day. Set up 3-hour onsite interview, then extended to 4 hours due to one interviewer being in Korea at the time. Received detailed interview schedule ahead of time.

Interviewed with 4 pairs or trios of people, 3 of them online through Google Hangouts. Brief interview then technical question or two in each. Some white-board pseudocode, some editing on a computer while sharing the screen. Challenging but not absurdly technical.

Received & accepted job offer 1 week later, after a few more phone calls.

Interview Questions

• Given two files of sorted text information that may have duplicates, and not being able to load either of them fully into memory, how would you create three files of "In A but not B," "In B but not A," and "In both"?   Answer Question
    • There are 3 doors. There is a treasure behind one. What are the chances of choosing the right door? Without changing your choice, I open one of the other doors. How have the chances now changed?   Answer Question
    • You want to keep track of 4 threads in a program. How do you make sure there are no collisions?   Answer Question

Accounting Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Gracenote in April 2016.

Interview

Applied online and they replied very fast after I submit the application. I got an email from HR and scheduled for a phone interview. The interview questions are mostly behavioral questions and no big trick.

Interview Questions

• How familiar are you with excel? why do you want to apply for this intern   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Gracenote (Emeryville, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

- Product Management related Qs
    - Company Structure discussion
    - Career Goals
    - Ideas to improve the product
    - What music/video do you use currently
    - Tell me about yourself
    - Take me through your background
    - Cross-cultural experience sharing, if any
    - Do you know how embedded systems work?
    - Things to take care of in a requirements document

Finance Manager Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Gracenote (Emeryville, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

I interviewed in 2015. It took a month with two-4 hours interviews. I have met with peers, HR and upper managers. The scheduling part is very smooth, and interview went well. I declined the offer since I don't' see the work life balance culture there.

Interview Questions

I found out there is no work life balance there even I was told there is.