Gracenote Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Gracenote Interview Questions

Updated Sep 6, 2018

Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Gracenote (Emeryville, CA) in September 2009.

Interview

Phone screen was standard in terms of discussing background and experience. Had a good rapport with the interviewer (director of engineering), and it seemed like what they wanted to do was a good fit for what I was looking for. The onsite interview consisted of several hour-long 1:1 or 2:1 interviews, mostly focusing on practical problem solving, logic puzzles, and Java programming skills.

Interview Questions

• Several logic puzzles, all very similar to the so-called Einstein puzzle, but much easier.   1 Answer
    • How would you design a system for importing messy data, cleaning and filtering, and merging with previously imported data, which may have duplicates?   Answer Question
    • Many of the typical Java language questions, such as thread safety and the various language trivia that many companies ask.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Gracenote (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

phone interview ask to write a four end point app, get back to me after about two weeks, then another phone screen, ask to see my code samples. Then email me to have an on site interview. There are 5 people in the onsite interview, two technical, 3 non-technical. The questions are not hard, but need to prepare.

Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Gracenote (Emeryville, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

My university recommended this company for me. I had a phone interview, asked about my previous experience and skills, like languages, projects, etc. The manager explained their projects, teams and positions. After that I had a face-to-face interview, which included 2 more people. Totally the interview was half the day at the manager's room & cafeteria.

Interview Questions

• What do you want?
      What did you do before?
      Which do you prefer music or video?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Queensbury, NY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Gracenote (Queensbury, NY).

Interview

Very comfortable (if that's possible) interview process. Spoke briefly with HR (not the same person from the phone interview though from someone from the Bay Area). Then was brought in front of the manager of the department, and then in front of a few developers. The architect was great at explaining the workings of the position and what was to be expected for the position, had been there for many years which is promising. Much more tech oriented than some other co's in the albany/upstate area. Seniors expressed that a lot of the software written was in-house, so I look forward to that.

Interview Questions

• Write pseudo code to reverse a string in place. Asked how you would go about solving something similar to the "Einstein Puzzle". Asked various relevant questions about working on a team, on which resources I relied upon in my day to day work, which program languages or other tech I am interested in learning in my free time. Interviewer seemed to grasp every technology that I brought up and mentioned where it might be applicable to the exact things they would expect me to be working on. Again, promising!   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Gracenote (Emeryville, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

A telephone screening interview followed by 3 separate in-person interviews with a HR representative and 2 technical managers on the same day. I was asked several general questions regarding technology and responsibilities.

Interview Questions

• How would you create an efficient distributed logging system?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Gracenote (San Francisco, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

The interviewer gave a brief overview of the company and what they do, asked me what I knew about the same, and then asked about my qualifications for the position — which languages I know, what databases and operating systems I am familiar with, and so on. We determined that the job wasn't a fit, but he proceeded to spend fifteen minutes discussing where to go from here with me, which was both unsolicited and incredibly helpful. As far as failed interviews go, this was the post positive I've had.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Gracenote in August 2013.

Interview

Written code exam followed by in person interview. In person interview was for 4-5 hours with various algorithms to solve. The entire team that you might be interacting will be in the interview panel. They try to engage and help than to assess and intimidate.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Gracenote (Emeryville, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

- Product Management related Qs
    - Company Structure discussion
    - Career Goals
    - Ideas to improve the product
    - What music/video do you use currently
    - Tell me about yourself
    - Take me through your background
    - Cross-cultural experience sharing, if any
    - Do you know how embedded systems work?
    - Things to take care of in a requirements document

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Gracenote (Emeryville, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Gracenote practices age discrimination. Submitted resume online. Got quick reply and scheduled phone call with recruiter. Was asked about background, relevant experience, recent roles and why interested in Gracenote. Though I have exact qualifications being sought, I was rejected as overqualified.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Gracenote (Emeryville, CA) in March 2010.

Interview

a typical phone interview conducted, followed by a face-to-face interview following week or so (maybe 1.5weeks?) with 3 people, including 2 colleagues and one HR rep, all individually. all very nice and friendly, HR was very informative about benefits etc. unfortunately, didn't get the job but was very nice to actually call me (rather than nothing or template email) to let me know they've decided to move on with a different candidate.