Grocery Outlet Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Grocery Outlet Interview Questions

Updated Sep 8, 2017

2.3

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Grocery Outlet.

Interview

Very personable and they asked great questions.

#1 submit application
    #2 phone interview
    #3 In person
    #4 2nd In person Interview
    #5 got called to start the following week

Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Grocery Outlet (Emeryville, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Too Long and unproductive...Unorgonized no one know who or what
    Visit corporate office nice open offices, everyone was busy around noon, too many low profile mangers and executives waited hours long to be greeted

Recruiting Interview

Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Grocery Outlet (Emeryville, CA).

Interview

I had multiple phone interviews with various members of the Grocery Outlet team, followed by an in-person interview at the corporate office that consisted of meetings with multiple key personnel.

One thing that was consistent throughout the entire process was that every person that I met/spoke with showed a genuine interest in me as an individual, as well as my professional background. The tone of each meeting was one of much more of a conversation, more than a traditional "interview", which also showed me that they valued me as a person, as opposed to just another candidate.

As part of my interview process I also visited several Grocery Outlet retail locations, and spent time speaking with each of the owners/operators. Again, they were all very welcoming and gracious with their time, answering any questions that I had regarding their experience with the company. At every level, I was pleasantly surprised with the level of transparency that everyone had with what life is truly like as a member of the Grocery Outlet family. When the time came to travel to the corporate office, they took care of all the travel accommodations, and followed up several times to make sure everything was taken care of.

Overall, it was a first-rate experience.

Inventory Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Grocery Outlet (Emeryville, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

I was contacted through LinkedIn, the process took 4 weeks (because of scheduling, not because of a lack of communication). I was very impressed with Grocery Outlet's HR team, they were quick to follow-up and were very transparent and helpful throughout the entire process.

First, there was a phone call with HR; then I was brought in for a three rounds of interviews with various employees the position would be closely working with; and a final interview with three rounds of cross-functional team members. The people were excellent, very smart and you could tell they loved being at this company.

Interview Questions

• Personality/Fit questions that were based on your work history.   Answer Question

Assistant Buyer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Grocery Outlet (Emeryville, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied online and was asked to do a video interview with prerecorded questions. It's a little impersonal but just do it because I found out later that most applicants didn't even bother finishing and the ones that did were put right at the top of the list. After a week and a half they contacted me to schedule an on site interview.

What to expect:
    -1 Hour interview with Director for the team that you're applying for
    -30 min interview with Buyer(s) who you will be working with directly
    -30 min interview with Director of another team

They have valet parking for visitors which is great. They'll offer you water when you check in at the front desk but don't drink it or else you'll need to use the restroom by your third interview. Their interview styles varied where some would try to get you off your script so they can see how you react while others were more willing to shoot the breeze. After a couple of days they called me with an offer.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you would be a good fit for the Beer & Wine team?   1 Answer

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Grocery Outlet (Emeryville, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

I was referred to the position by a colleague working at Grocery Outlet. We discussed the job, people and culture.

I submitted my resume and was offered an interview schedule within the week. The offer letter arrived about one week later. The entire process took about 3 weeks.

The offices are modern with many bonuses (beverages/fruit are supplied, to-go lunch refrigerated section that is charged at 1/2 off the already low price. There is valet parking, ping pong and air hockey for delight or frustrations.

No one has an office, not even the executive committee. However, there are several small and medium sized conference tables available.

If you are commuting via mass transit, the Emery-Go-Round picks up/drops off at McArthur Bart Station and travels 4 stops to your destination.

Interview Questions

• All of the interviews were conversational. I shared a deck of previous merchandising/advertising projects and we went discussed.   Answer Question

Assistant Buyer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Grocery Outlet (Emeryville, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

I first completed a video interview, followed by a phone interview with behavioral questions. I then was asked to come onsite for any interview. I spoke with two different buying directors, 3 buyers, and 1 assistant buyer. Questions were relevant and reasonable. I felt the group I spoke to was diverse and appropriate for the position at hand. I was given several breaks, offered beverages and snacks, and given a tour of the office.

Interview Questions

• Why are you qualified for this job?
      What experience do you have?
      Why are you interested in Grocery Outlet?   1 Answer

Corporate Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Grocery Outlet (Emeryville, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Super friendly people and VERY professional. You get the feeling right away that people really enjoy working here and are proud of their brand. The building is bright and open, they have a gym, ping pong, air hockey and a well stocked kitchen and yoga classes. It has a bit of a start up feel which is pretty incredible for a 70 year old company!

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santee, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Grocery Outlet (Santee, CA).

Interview

Pretty straight forward interview. Manager tells you what you will be doing. Tells you that the store just opened and they're trying to get on their feet. Informs you that the store can sometimes be fast paced.

Staff Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Grocery Outlet (Emeryville, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

Quite friendly. I had two interviewers. They described the history of the company and what the job duties were. What they expected of you and took me on a tour around the office. Very polite and were able to answer any questions I had. Gave me all the info I needed, from what my duties would be and the normal work schedule. Wrapped up with letting me know when I will receive a response.

Interview Questions

• Asked about background experiences and just a few questions about why you want the job and how your past experience would fit the position. Why you chose to apply for the position.   Answer Question