GumGum Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 1, 2017

2.9

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at GumGum (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

The recruiter was very friendly and prompt. The first round was a basic Java/SQL test. The next round was a Spark coding assignment followed by a coding interview on the phone. Then I was called for the onsite interviews with 2 rounds - 1 presentation and 1 technical.

Interview Questions

• A presentation was on one of my projects and they asked a lot of questions about it.   2 Answers

Big Data Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at GumGum.

Interview

I applied online for the intern position, but I believe the process for the regular position is fairly similar. The procedure involves:

a) an online code test that asks basic java questions

b) A coding assignment, which is a real world application, similar to what you would do on the job. I had to write a spark job to extract information from log files. This step is very important and requires some effort. Nevertheless, I really enjoyed it and I learned new things when doing it.

c) A shared screen coding test which is fairly straightforward. It is significantly easier than the coding assignment and I do not think that it is possible to fail it, provided that you completed the assignment. You are asked to write a function that performs a given operation and then write a few junit tests to test it.

d) An interview with the team members. I had two rounds, with two team members each time. These guys are young, cool and friendly. I was mainly asked Java and SQL questions and although I was not always swift to respond, they were patient and worked with me giving more info so I could reach a solution. They made me feel very comfortable, as if we were having a conversation. Even if you don't know the answer, they key is to present your train of thought so you can show them that when given a task you can work around the problems, gather more info about the things you don't know and reach a solution.

Overall it was a very positive experience.

Interview Questions

• (Java) Private variables, immutability, comparators, hash tables, data structures, complexity   1 Answer

Office Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at GumGum (Santa Monica, CA).

Interview

Phone interview. Then in person interview with 3 different people. Timely and a bit repetitive since all 3 asked and addressed the same exact things. No response to follow ups and no one ever bothered to reach out after interview, even after I sent emails.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at GumGum in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online. First, did a basic Java and Sql online test, then did a coding project in Spark using Scala, and then screen interview.

It was my worst interview experience. The interviewer was very arrogant and hostile. Can not imagine how to work with him!

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at GumGum in February 2017.

Interview

Java test about basics in the language, then did a coding project in Spark, and then interview with VPeng, and then final round interviews with 5-6 people. This many rounds in the interview for a summer internship, including learning new technologies for the coding project? Really?

Interactions with the team were always hostile on their end. Any time I didn't know an answer to their Java syntax questions that you could trivially just google, they would always say something to the effect of "You didn't know that?" or "Did you ever take an object oriented programming course?"

Algorithms questions were all very easy. But it seems like they were looking for "Java language experts".

Image Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at GumGum (Santa Monica, CA).

Interview

First e-mails, then a friendly phone interview, then an assignment, finally on-site interview with multiple groups of multiple people, including developers, group lead, SVPs. Everyone was nice all the way. After the phone interview there was an assignment with fairly flexible deadline, its acceptance was a requirement for the on-site interview.

Interview Questions

• Questions about experience, projects, topics, fields of research and development, some specific professional questions (some superficial, some more in-depth).   Answer Question

Copy Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at GumGum (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

I applied online and heard back from HR about a week or two later. Set up an initial phone call with HR which went really well, they are extremely nice, outgoing and friendly and easy to converse with. It was a pretty basic screening, lasted maybe 15 minutes and just reviewed my resume and past experience, and why I was interested in the position. A week later, I had a phone interview with a senior member, this interview was much much harder. He asked really good, but hard, questions! Wanted to know a lot of specifics about past experiences, my interest in the tech world, my interest in the business world, exct. It went well, but by the end of the call I think we both agreed it wasn't a great fit with my interest and background. I didn't get an offer, but wasn't upset. I really enjoyed the interviews and thought they did a great job!

Interview Questions

• How do you stay relevant and up to date in the tech world
      How would you help revamp our twitter page
      What interests you in the tech world
      Answer Question

Image Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at GumGum.

Interview

Got an interview through recruiter.Had a pre screen phone call for the interview and it was a pleasant experience. The phone call went well but they did not get back for over two weeks, even after emailing them. They Later emailed me that the position was filled.

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at GumGum.

Interview

I agree with majority of the reviews. They seem to show lots of interest in you and will lead you on. The process took over a month and HR seemed unorganized when scheduling interviews. The team seems very professional however I suggest to keep other job options open while applying.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at GumGum (Chicago, IL) in May 2016.

Interview

I really thought the interview reviews on here could not be true. However, this was without a doubt this was the worst phone interview I have ever had. The recruiter called late and for the first two minutes or so just asked how my day was going several times, it was very obvious she did not know what to talk to me about. When she asked why I was interested in GumGum, I mentioned their advertising units and how I thought they were unique. She told me I was confused and that was not what GumGum does, and then immediately retracted saying I was right, but she was new to the company. The rest was equally as bad.

She asked me to have a phone call with the hiring manager later that week and we discussed a time for the call. I followed up with an email a few hours later and asked her to let me know if she was able to schedule the call and confirm with me. I didn't hear back from her until 5 minutes before the call was supposed to happen to confirm the call, she called three times when I was unable to answer. Then followed up with a strongly worded email about any confusion and why I had missed the interview. I decided to bow out of the process after that.

Interview Questions

• The questions were very standard. Why are you interested in this role, why are you looking to leave your current role, etc.   Answer Question