HBO Interview Questions | Glassdoor

HBO Interview Questions

Updated Feb 16, 2018

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HBO.

Interview

Applied Online. Got an email for an online test 2 weeks later. After the online test, was called on-site for a technical round. Had 3 interviews on site with different hiring managers and recruiters.

Interview Questions

• Write a program to shuffle a deck of cards? Asked more about the projects and what technologies i used for some particular projects and what i did in my free time.   Answer Question

Media Relations Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at HBO.

Interview

I applied a month ago via a referral. Then I was sent an email that looked like spam from talent acquisitions inviting me to click a link for a video (HireVue) interview. Initially I thought it was spam or a fishing scam. I researched HireVue and it's some sort of AI/ computer that analyses your answers and facial expressions. The video is timed (3mins or less). No interaction with a contact or a human. No idea what happens to the video after you submit it. Nor did I hear back either way months later. Impersonal process.

Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at HBO (Seattle, WA) in July 2017.

Interview

The interview process was long and involved. There were at least 2 phone screens with recruiters, which was followed by an interview with a more senior member of the team. After that, a writing sample was requested which was followed by a long session with one of the senior members to discuss the writing sample. This was followed by an all day onsite interview, which was heavily focused on a long case interview.

Overall the interview process moved VERY slowly with no commitment on timelines and expectations.

The onsite interview was overall one of the most condescending experiences I have been a part of. They expect a certain level of understanding of certain concepts pertinent to HBO and ding you heavily for not being able to question those concepts in an interview/case setting. All of which is fine, but the focal point becomes your short comings for 3-4 hours of a case interview rather than what skills you can bring to the table. The requirement should be at that point to only bring in only people with experience in the technologies and industries desired, rather than trying to bring in talent experienced in different setting. HBO is NOT a tech company and the interview process reflects that.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at HBO (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

The interview process is still technically ongoing despite having been nearly 6 months. I applied online, and got a phone interview pretty quickly. Then I went in for an in person round with the hiring manager. I was told that they loved my unique experience and that the recruiter would be in the process of scheduling a second round... It's been a while so I've since given up but I should have heeded warning signs during the 1st round. The hiring manager was not paying attention to my responses despite seemingly listening intently. I would respond and they would ask me the same exact question as a follow up. Ridiculous. These people are solely going off of their luck associated with a covetous brand. However, if any indications show, they are very disorganized, slow-moving, and not at all decisive. Absolute waste of time.

Interview Questions

• Name an example of when you used data to inform your decisions.   Answer Question

Account Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at HBO (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

Easy going, pretty simple and straight forward, people seemed passionate about their job.
    I met with 3 separate people, the first time i met with 2, then came back for a second round and met with one more. It wasnt that bad and moved quicker than i thought it would.

SDE2 Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HBO.

Interview

For two weeks process, HR is really nice. I got a phone screen opportunity, I was excited that.
    But unfortunately in the very interview morning, I got Email to say the interviewer found the better resume than mine, the she cancelled the interview.
    That's unbelievable.

Interview Questions

• The first phone interview comes from HR, she was so nice, asked some questions about your resume.   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HBO.

Interview

Sort of a "phone screen" in person, first round interview. I would say phone or video would have been a more efficient first round, but I enjoyed who I met with.

Interview Questions

• Whether or not the commute would be comfortable for me   1 Answer

Manager, Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at HBO (New York, NY).

Interview

Standard interview experience. Interviewer asks general question about background, current position, and why you're interested in the position at HBO. I spoke about my familiarity with HBO marketing campaigns and creative. I also discussed competitors marketing and creative to illustrate overall knowledge of marketing practices.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through a typical day in your position? What role/contributions have you made to the team?   Answer Question

IT Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HBO (Miami, FL) in March 2017.

Interview

HBO visited my university at a career fair. Gave them my resume and a week later got a phone call asking me if I was available for on campus interview which consisted of two part. First part was question about me and the second part was questions related to technology.

Interview Questions

• Since you are a computer science major why would you like to work for us?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at HBO (Pittsburgh, PA) in February 2017.

Interview

The entire process lasted for 2 days. Day 1: Had a chance to talk with the recruiters at college career fair. Was shortlisted for interview the very next day on campus. Haven't received the verdict yet

Interview Questions

• I was asked to talk about the projects in my portfolio.   Answer Question