HCSS Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 12, 2017

3.1

Min-Level Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sugar Land, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at HCSS (Sugar Land, TX) in April 2017.

Interview

Standard question and answer session. If you've done this in the past 8-10 years, you'll get it. There was a math test upon entry, but I think they just want to make sure you can solve the issues they create all of their business from. Entire interview took 2+ hours, but it was well worth it. The environment tour was awesome. Straight out of Silicon Valley, but in Texas. I have never been in a work environment like this before. It is the main reason I am striving to work there.

Interview Questions

• Sample test questions shouldn't be shared, as they are essential to what the company requires as far as knowledge. But if you can read a word problem, and analyze exactly what is being asked for, you will do fine. Other questions were very normal. Describe a difficult situation and how you handled it. Tell me how you designed the solution to that issue. What are your weaknesses, what are your strengths. Why are you interested in HCSS? Basically, if you aren't interested after the tour of the premises, just leave. One last item, I was asked to sketch out a sort of diagram on a white board to illustrate a solution I referenced in a previous question. So know what you are talking about, and don't lie, as someone will pick up on it.   1 Answer

Technical Support Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sugar Land, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HCSS (Sugar Land, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

The interview process is somewhat long, multi-staged. The various folks I encountered there were quite friendly. The questions themselves were generally not what I was expecting, more to do with how I reacted to situations in the past rather than technical merits.

Interview Questions

• How did you handle a situation where you did not meet customer expectations?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HCSS (Houston, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

First they ask you to solve simple math problems, 14 of those, you must get them correctly 11 out of 14 to go to the next round. Then, your resume will be reviewed. Then, set an appointment for phone interview.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions. Why you want this position? About the company, the products and services...   Answer Question

HCSS Response

Dec 30, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Advisor

Thanks for sharing your interview experience and walking through some of the steps of our current hiring process. The process can also be found on our careers site at careers.hcss.com so you can see ... More

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at HCSS.

Interview

Took online test twice...passed but got a mail first time saying we have reviewed your resume and would like to go ahead with other people...and second time passed but havent heard anything from them yet. Its weird that they take such test for an experienced software professional and the process is stupid. They should atleast give a chance with basic coding test. Anyway i had a bad experience with this.

Junior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sugar Land, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at HCSS (Sugar Land, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

Math test to start, selected for taking a coding assignment. A recruited followed up with a coding assignment that needed to be submitted within 24 hours. Online status -"you will be followed up by a recruited to schedule an on-site interview". few days later, online status - "Unfortunately you were not selected"

Interview Questions

• 1. Build an application that rolls a six-sided die to obtain a random value between 1 and 6.

2. Introduce the concept of a cup so that multiple dice can be rolled at one time.

3. Create a loaded die that, given a predetermined number, will land on that number 50% of the time

(we can't be too obvious with our loaded die).
      1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HCSS (Houston, TX).

Interview

Pretty standard interview with four different people. It took about three hours in total, with less than half of that was actually interviewing. They ask about previous experience and general object-oriented design concepts. Most of the interviewers were pleasant and spoke well of the company. They were all pretty laid back and nice. The only person that seemed to contradict that was the IT director. He honestly gave me a bad sense about working for them compared to the others.

Interview Questions

• They asked about encapsulation.   1 Answer

Video Production Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sugar Land, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HCSS (Sugar Land, TX) in June 2016.

Interview

What interview process? I submitted my online application along with resume and link to my online portfolio. I then was given a link to take this absurd 14 question math/logic's test. I failed it. I'm not an uneducated person. I have a college degree from a real 4 year school.
    But I also haven't had to use math since college. I'm a video producer professional with over 15 years of "real world" experience. I have an outstanding track record with a very impressive portfolio. I'm extremely qualified for this position. But unfortunately math is not my strongest suite. It's ridiculous too have to take a test completely irrelevant to my position. I never have to decide what my sales should be if I have a salary base with 6% commission. Or how much a taxi ride would cost if the first 1/6 mile is $1.50...it's $.25 for every remaining 1/6 mile and then you go 10 miles and have to figure out the total fee. Huh? Why does anyone need to know that in order to tell a story, shoot beautiful video and edit a fantastic eye-catching film for a client? Bottom line is it's their loss.

I wish HCSS luck in finding a talented video producer that will meet ALL their expectations...good luck with that. Reynold's & Reynold's and HCSS should be partners..because they both have the same style of interviewing with a test made for engineers and young cheap college graduates. Do they want experience? I doubt it.

Interview Questions

• Absurb 14 question timed math/logics test. Then an in-person math test to prove it was you taking it online (from what I've read).   Answer Question

HCSS Response

Jul 5, 2016 – VP of Marketing (Dan Briscoe)

Hey, thanks for the feedback and for taking the time to submit an application. I feel your pain as I've had good friends fail the test and only 30% of applicants pass our logic test. We hire less ... More

N/A Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HCSS.

Interview

3 days of interviews. First day, 30 minute phone screening. Second day, interview with HR and the head of your department as well as supervisors of that department (I interviewed 4-5 different times that day). Third day, interview with the owner.

Expect to stay at least half the day on the second go around of interviews. Long process, but worth it. Relatively low stress interviews.

Technical Support Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sugar Land, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at HCSS (Sugar Land, TX) in May 2016.

Interview

The interview process was long and began with a basic math test online. After passing the test I was contacted by talent acquisition to schedule a phone interview. This led to two more rounds of interviews with direct management and senior management and a final interview with the CEO.

Director of Training Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sugar Land, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HCSS (Sugar Land, TX) in February 2016.

Interview

The process starts with an online application and a math/logic test. The test is a series of word problems relying on 8th grade level math to solve....anyone interested in working for a tech company must minimally be at this level as your customers and colleagues will talk in technical terms. The logic comes in the form of being able to comprehend the word problems and derive methods (equations) to solve...please note that you must distinguish pertinent data from superfluous data as a few problems do not require all the data provided to obtain a solution. If you get to the on-site interviews you will be asked to take another test as verification (show your work). Between the two tests there are 28 questions (and for me 28 correct answers).

If you pass the initial application and test hurdles, there will be a phone interview...about 30 minutes; and it could either focus on your work and education background or on your how you would work in the position for hire...or a combination of both.

Pass that hurdle and you'll be called in for f-2-f interviews. You will interview with four or more folks; some individually, some in a groups. Don't be surprised if you are interviewed by the CEO/founder himself. The group interview is generally a presentation to show how you would accomplish a task related to the position. If given a time limit ...do not go over! Focus on the subject!

Interview questions are standard fair...with a twist. These folks have already mapped out what they need to or desire to hear in the responses. There is serious thought behind what they ask so give serious thought to your answers...as always be truthful.

Interview Questions

• Where do you think you'll be in 10 years at HCSS?   1 Answer