HCSS Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
HCSS Founder & CEO Mike Rydin
Mike Rydin

Pros
Cons
  • He gives out an overly generous profit-sharing check each year when he could otherwise distribute it to just the executives (in 5 reviews)

• HCSS' cons are that they are extremely picky in who they choose and the hiring process is difficult (in 4 reviews)

"Awesome Work Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at HCSS full-time

Pros

HCSS's mission statement includes the statement "... while providing a great life for our employees" and working here has clearly shown that. From the many great amenities on campus to the openness of the employees, HCSS strives to make work life enjoyable on a daily basis. HCSS strives to hire people who fit this culture and for the most part, really works. Yes, there are so many great details, like the gym, the basketball court, the slide, the tracks and the free drinks/coffee, but it's the culture of this place that just sets it apart. Even with a large staff, you feel very close with one another with plenty of smiling faces that you will pass in the hallways. I've worked in different environments in my career and I must say, working at HCSS is undoubtedly the best place I've work at to date.

Cons

Sometimes personal views can override professional judgment when making certain decisions within a department and their qualified employees.

Advice to Management

Set aside personal beliefs/wants and take a moment to really take your qualified employees and their views/experience into account.

"Technical Support Analyst"

Current Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Spring, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Spring, TX

I have been working at HCSS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. The support that you have from your peers
    2. The Benefits are pretty awesome
    3. They make sure you're not stuck behind a computer all day. They really do encourage health, mentally and physically (video games, height adjustable desks, free fruit, activities, etc.
    4. Free food on Fridays
    5. No matter if you're the new guy or the old guy, everyone is given equal respect and treated equally.
    6. The opportunity (it's actually encouraged) to move up the company.

Cons

I am only filling this in because it is a requirement from Glassdoor. No cons.
    Good Pay, Great Benefits, They give profit sharing, they give you stock, awesome coworkers, and cool managers. What else would you want? I have my dream job.

Advice to Management

Keep it up

"Senior Developer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at HCSS full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you are willing to stick your neck out, you will be heard. Too many don't figuring there may be a backlash. There won't be unless you are burning down the house! You can make a difference. You have a chance to make a new feature/product better.I have done it time and time again. It is great to hear from customers and trainers about how you did something to make their jobs better!

If you want to hide in a corner and get a check, I guess you can. You won't get far for long. If you are good,work hard and even better have new ideas, you can really make a difference, be respected and make good money. What else do you want? We also get great profit sharing each year.

Cons

The company has gotten large enough to start having too many meetings instead of just doing.

Advice to Management

Don't get me wrong, I believe in the measure twice and cut once method, but Sometimes the meetings are over the smallest things. Meetings on how to greet people at UGM or how to set up projectors, how to scan badges, just silly. There is inclusion and then there are participation trophies. This needs to stop.

"Google of Sugar Land"

I have been working at HCSS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company offers a great benefits package on top of the amazing culture that it maintains. The employees and customers alike are both a pleasure to work with. This company is very family oriented and works to ensure employees have a good work/life balance. I have never been surprised by management or the decisions they make since they are incredibly transparent.

Cons

The learning curve and interview process can be a deterrent for some applicants.

Advice to Management

I would continue to operate in the same fashion but consider building clear paths of advancement to other support roles.

HCSS Response

Dec 12, 2016 – Director of Support Services (Admir)

Thank you for your review. I'd really like to learn more about the advice for career paths for support roles. We have been working on defining a clear career path in support and are finalizing the ... More

"It really is 'that' good"

I have been working at HCSS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You are given opportunities for growth. Your supervisors go to bat for you. A typical day can consist of a relaxed workload that affords you the opportunity to get a quick workout in at the gym, a lap or two around the walking trail and a pick-up game of basketball around lunchtime—all while working and interacting with great, helpful, energetic people. I am also making 30% more than what I was making 13 months ago with a different company—and that is even without factoring in the profit sharing.

Cons

The only comment I have is that some initiatives are not planned well. There is a tendency (on rare occasion with regards to my work) to put a deadline on something and move too quickly through the planning phase where you might have to back up and redo work. Again, this is on rare occasion with my position. More often than not, if a mistake is made everyone learns from it. Luckily we're past the election now, but as an ESOP where we are told to think as if we are the owners—I know that many of us would not have elected to use company money to donate to Republican campaigns.

Advice to Management

Be a bit more open to visible change. What is great about HCSS is that workflow processes are tested and changed if they're not working. The look and feel of our overall product is a bit dated, and it's the only thing holding us back from knocking out all the competition. We have robust, highly functional products that just need a bit of a facelift.

7. "Great work environment"

I have been working at HCSS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Owners live by their mission statement. Great working environment. Company provides learning and education funds.

Cons

New internal career position requirements are not clearly defined which makes it more difficult for internal hires to pursue.

Advice to Management

Continue the great work!

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Technical Support Supervisor in Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Support Supervisor in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at HCSS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Wonderful coworkers
    - Modern work environment with awesome amenities (gym, basketball court, track, etc.)
    - Company pays for wellness related events
    - Very generous profit sharing each year
    - Collaborative, open-door environment. Management seems to genuinely care about their employees.
    - CEO of company lets any employee schedule time to drive his rare Porsche. How cool is that?

Cons

- Career growth and opportunities can seem limited if you're used to working at larger organizations.
    - The review system could be revised to better account for the differences in each department

Advice to Management

Keep innovating. Continue investing in your employees. These are exciting times for the company and I believe our best years are yet to come.

HCSS Response

Oct 24, 2016 – Director of Support Services (Admir)

Thank you very much for taking the time to fill one out. We are in the testing phase of replacing our current review system with more customizations to accommodate the different needs per position ... More

"A Truly Great and Unique Place to Work"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at HCSS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

HCSS is such a refreshing change of pace from the big corporate IT environments most Houston software developers find themselves in. It's a successful product company with a strong emphasis on employee happiness and wellness. The environment is extremely collaborative and supportive. Everyone is in the same building so there are fewer meetings and way fewer conference calls than other corporate environments. It's a little piece of silicon valley culture, here in Houston.

Cons

Every company has it's potholes, land mines and unwritten rules and HCSS has more than some others. There are lots of do's and don'ts that you have to learn to be really successful, but there are also lots of people who want you to be successful who will help you navigate the waters.

Advice to Management

Consider coming up with ways to reduce the amount of "walking on eggshells" that occurs in some situations. For example, the 75 day review process creates a lot of pressure and stress that could be counterproductive.

"Heavy Construction Software best example of an Exponential Organization"

Current Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Houston, TX

Pros

Exceptionally:
    - positive work environment
    - caring and helpful staff
    - cooperative teams
    - efficient workflows
    - quality products

Fantastic opportunities to grow in the computer with new initiatives that seem to appear often. I left a company I thought I enjoyed, but I wouldn't think twice about staying with HCSS for a lifetime.

Cons

I would love the ability to further invest money in the company (Outside of the ESOP). We have a lot of very cool initiatives being proposed in the company and having some additional capital may further their speed and success.

Advice to Management

Continue the amazing work in leading this company in becoming a successful and happy exponential organization.

HCSS Response

Aug 5, 2016 – Sr. Support Manager (Admir)

Thank you for your review. I don't think we have the option to invest beyond the current offerings, but I can talk to Steve about it. I am glad to see that you have a very positive outlook on the ... More

"Great Atmosphere and Great Place to Work"

I have been working at HCSS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

listen to employees and constantly try to improve environment, very big on health, just enlarged the gym in the building and have a basketball court as well as kennels for you to bring your dogs to work with you

Cons

Lots of 'surveys' and meetings, but as long as you do your job you're good. If you work hard enough and show enthusiasm/initiative, the chance for advancement is there as the company is growing quickly.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees, I would even start to listen to what employees think of other employees as I think that there are some that mgmt thinks are just great but are a pain to work with and co-workers actually avoid working with them, which is rare at this company.

HCSS Response

Aug 5, 2016 – Sr. Support Manager (Admir)

Thank you for your feedback. I really appreciate the advice you provided and I encourage you to come speak to your manager (or myself) regarding the issue. We definitely want to create the best work ... More