HCSS Reviews | Glassdoor

HCSS Founder & CEO Mike Rydin
Mike Rydin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • He gives out an overly generous profit-sharing check each year when he could otherwise distribute it to just the executives (in 5 reviews)

• When we hire here, it's for the long term, not short term which is why the interview process is so intense (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Are you ready?"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at HCSS full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You can do (almost) anything if you prove yourself. It can be difficult at times, I admit. If you want to get a job and ride it out without making waves, this may be not for you.

If you like being given a chance to do more than take phone calls or program something with no say, then you will like it. It is up to you to do it. There are paths for design, business, technical programming, implementation, sales, marketing. You are not stuck where you got hired if you show affinity in other areas.

I am not saying that you cannot feel like you are talking to a wall sometimes. However, if you have faith in yourself and can back it up, it will work. You can be heard at the highest levels. No accomplishment should be handed to you. It can be earned from low to high levels though.

Cons

No riding out a job for a paycheck forever. We don't want you anyway.

Advice to Management

Those that don't like a basic logic test shouldn't be considered. We work together to help the company grow and share a great bonus every year. If you aren't contributing, you are dragging everyone else down.

"Amazing place to work"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Sugar Land, TX
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Sugar Land, TX

I worked at HCSS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

HCSS is an amazing place to work as long as you fit. It is one of those rare places where they care about you as a person. It is one of those places I would go back to for a pay cut if I still lived in the Houston area.
    I enjoyed going to work. The company to always improve its quililty of life for employees and in the software it rights. I always felt supported when wanting to move things to better practices and standards. I also felt that I was allowed to try new things and improve how the software worked.

They provide food on Friday's and they try to have multiple company wide events during the work day to bring everyone together.

Oh and lastly there is a slide. The slide was a great way to get from the 2nd floor to the first.

Cons

I felt like a lot of communication became more hallway based and you would lose track of who said what. This was more of a problem when people were told 2 different things or just forgot.
    I also felt that some of the ideas from upper management sound great on paper and they pushed down with out making sure it really would work.
    Also the company started feeling like it was becoming a little more corporate as it grew but still not that bad

Lastly I feel like the pay was well below market rate for developers. The end of the year bonus for the most part would bring total pay for the year to market rate but it always a gamble as 1 bad year and ones pay is well below market rate.

Advice to Management

Try to keep the family feel as the company grows as HCSS was an amazing place to work and truly was a dream job that launched my career.

"Experience Hires Proceed with Caution"

I worked at HCSS full-time

Pros

- Some great people who are hungry for change and fresh ideas
    - GREAT recruiting experience

Cons

- Little collaboration with senior leadership
    - Refuse to help you onboard well because they don't want to "game the system"
    What system is that? Is it a "gotcha" system? That's what it seems to be. (see Advice to Management comments)
    - Too many meetings leaves little time to get actual work done
    - Takes three months for health benefits to kick in (too long)

Advice to Management

Instead of playing an expensive "gotcha" game with people and their livelihood, consider actually practicing what you preach, namely "The Collaborative Way."

Improve communication. There is too much reliance on hallway, just passing through, type conversations. Also, way too permissive with interruptions during scheduled meetings; it's disrespectful and interrupts the synergy of the meeting.

Finally, please totally reconsider the approach to the performance profile. You should use the performance profile as a way to compare understanding on subjects and then collaborate to close the gaps. Instead, it feels like you sit back, wait to be entertained, resist any interaction, and prefer to play "stump the dummy" as I search to regurgitate your opinion back to you, an opinion you've not shared in the first place. It's ridiculous and completely insulting. With a change in your approach, you could turn the performance profile process into a powerful tool to align on understanding, vision, and strategy with your new hires. Currently, it's a completely wasted opportunity. Good luck.

"Great Company"

I worked at HCSS full-time

Pros

The company culture is the best I have ever had the pleasure of being a part of.

Cons

Understaffing, which leads to a workload level that can feel like a grind at times.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire more people and get staffing to acceptable levels

"A company that cares"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Houston, TX

I have been working at HCSS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Cares about employees. Good wellness and many other benefits. Startup culture. Profit sharing for all employees. Great values.

Cons

You need to be a good cultural fit or else you will not work well in this company.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to employees as you have been.

"Technical Support Analyst"

Current Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at HCSS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The list of pros is almost too large to fully enumerate. The atmosphere is unparalleled; Everybody is bursting with kindness and a willingness to support fellow team members in their success. The benefits are wonderful; Employer paid medical/dental, end of year profit sharing, onsite fitness facilities, and the list goes on. The training process for new hires is also very thorough and appropriately paced. Entry level applicants, if chosen, will find no trouble in learning the software and acclimating to the HCSS culture.

Cons

I have yet to find a downside to working at HCSS.

"Great company and people"

I have been working at HCSS full-time

Pros

Freedom and latitude to make decision while growing with the company
    People are great and they care about each other
    Hard work pays off and you'll be rewarded

Cons

We need a better succession plan for Mike

Advice to Management

Work on our strategy and don't get distracted with every opportunity

"HCSS is one of the best companies to work in for dedicated and hard-working individuals."

Current Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at HCSS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Strong employee support and lots of great benefits for those with an active life style
    Departments that aren't afraid to communicate and work together to come to the best solution for customers

Cons

HCSS is growing and evolving extremely quickly, so those that do not like constant change may not enjoy the environment.

"Very unique company - dream job for those that fit."

I have been working at HCSS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Definitely a unique company
    - Work is challenging
    - Fun, relaxed culture where almost everyone is focused on the customer
    - Big into wellness with the gym, private fitness instructors, etc.
    - Love that employees think like owners

The best thing about HCSS is the company is growing so lots of opportunities.

Cons

If you prefer a 9 - 5 job where you get told what to do today, this may not be a good fit.

Advice to Management

Keep giving more and more control to the departments and the smart people there, let them make a few mistakes, and watch them deliver.

HCSS Response

May 23, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Advisor (Allan L.)

Appreciate your feedback! With the ownership mentality embedded in our culture, I agree that we're probably not the right fit for those that need a ton of direction on a day-to-day basis. Great... More

10. "No Comment"

Pros

Close to my home. Thank you for doing your part to pay my mortgage and bill.

Cons

Too much management interference. Back off and let me do my work.

Advice to Management

Overall very cool company. Still, think there is lots of room for improvements.