HCSS Reviews | Glassdoor

HCSS Founder & CEO Mike Rydin
Mike Rydin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • He gives out an overly generous profit-sharing check each year when he could otherwise distribute it to just the executives (in 5 reviews)

• When we hire here, it's for the long term, not short term which is why the interview process is so intense (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Technical Support Analyst"

Current Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Spring, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Spring, TX

I have been working at HCSS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. The support that you have from your peers
    2. The Benefits are pretty awesome
    3. They make sure you're not stuck behind a computer all day. They really do encourage health, mentally and physically (video games, height adjustable desks, free fruit, activities, etc.
    4. Free food on Fridays
    5. No matter if you're the new guy or the old guy, everyone is given equal respect and treated equally.
    6. The opportunity (it's actually encouraged) to move up the company.

Cons

I am only filling this in because it is a requirement from Glassdoor. No cons.
    Good Pay, Great Benefits, They give profit sharing, they give you stock, awesome coworkers, and cool managers. What else would you want? I have my dream job.

Advice to Management

Keep it up

"Great Company"

I worked at HCSS full-time

Pros

The company culture is the best I have ever had the pleasure of being a part of.

Cons

Understaffing, which leads to a workload level that can feel like a grind at times.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire more people and get staffing to acceptable levels

"A company that cares"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Houston, TX

I have been working at HCSS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Cares about employees. Good wellness and many other benefits. Startup culture. Profit sharing for all employees. Great values.

Cons

You need to be a good cultural fit or else you will not work well in this company.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to employees as you have been.

"Technical Support Analyst"

I have been working at HCSS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The list of pros is almost too large to fully enumerate. The atmosphere is unparalleled; Everybody is bursting with kindness and a willingness to support fellow team members in their success. The benefits are wonderful; Employer paid medical/dental, end of year profit sharing, onsite fitness facilities, and the list goes on. The training process for new hires is also very thorough and appropriately paced. Entry level applicants, if chosen, will find no trouble in learning the software and acclimating to the HCSS culture.

Cons

I have yet to find a downside to working at HCSS.

"Great company and people"

I have been working at HCSS full-time

Pros

Freedom and latitude to make decision while growing with the company
    People are great and they care about each other
    Hard work pays off and you'll be rewarded

Cons

We need a better succession plan for Mike

Advice to Management

Work on our strategy and don't get distracted with every opportunity

"HCSS is one of the best companies to work in for dedicated and hard-working individuals."

I have been working at HCSS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Strong employee support and lots of great benefits for those with an active life style
    Departments that aren't afraid to communicate and work together to come to the best solution for customers

Cons

HCSS is growing and evolving extremely quickly, so those that do not like constant change may not enjoy the environment.

"Very unique company - dream job for those that fit."

I have been working at HCSS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Definitely a unique company
    - Work is challenging
    - Fun, relaxed culture where almost everyone is focused on the customer
    - Big into wellness with the gym, private fitness instructors, etc.
    - Love that employees think like owners

The best thing about HCSS is the company is growing so lots of opportunities.

Cons

If you prefer a 9 - 5 job where you get told what to do today, this may not be a good fit.

Advice to Management

Keep giving more and more control to the departments and the smart people there, let them make a few mistakes, and watch them deliver.

HCSS Response

May 23, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Advisor (Allan L.)

Appreciate your feedback! With the ownership mentality embedded in our culture, I agree that we're probably not the right fit for those that need a ton of direction on a day-to-day basis. Great... More

8. "No Comment"

Pros

Close to my home. Thank you for doing your part to pay my mortgage and bill.

Cons

Too much management interference. Back off and let me do my work.

Advice to Management

Overall very cool company. Still, think there is lots of room for improvements.

"Awesome Work Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at HCSS full-time

Pros

HCSS's mission statement includes the statement "... while providing a great life for our employees" and working here has clearly shown that. From the many great amenities on campus to the openness of the employees, HCSS strives to make work life enjoyable on a daily basis. HCSS strives to hire people who fit this culture and for the most part, really works. Yes, there are so many great details, like the gym, the basketball court, the slide, the tracks and the free drinks/coffee, but it's the culture of this place that just sets it apart. Even with a large staff, you feel very close with one another with plenty of smiling faces that you will pass in the hallways. I've worked in different environments in my career and I must say, working at HCSS is undoubtedly the best place I've work at to date.

Cons

Sometimes personal views can override professional judgment when making certain decisions within a department and their qualified employees.

Advice to Management

Set aside personal beliefs/wants and take a moment to really take your qualified employees and their views/experience into account.

"Senior Developer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at HCSS full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you are willing to stick your neck out, you will be heard. Too many don't figuring there may be a backlash. There won't be unless you are burning down the house! You can make a difference. You have a chance to make a new feature/product better.I have done it time and time again. It is great to hear from customers and trainers about how you did something to make their jobs better!

If you want to hide in a corner and get a check, I guess you can. You won't get far for long. If you are good,work hard and even better have new ideas, you can really make a difference, be respected and make good money. What else do you want? We also get great profit sharing each year.

Cons

The company has gotten large enough to start having too many meetings instead of just doing.

Advice to Management

Don't get me wrong, I believe in the measure twice and cut once method, but Sometimes the meetings are over the smallest things. Meetings on how to greet people at UGM or how to set up projectors, how to scan badges, just silly. There is inclusion and then there are participation trophies. This needs to stop.