HKS Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 7, 2017

2.5

Structural Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at HKS (Dallas, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

The interview was very straightforward. Staring with a interdiction of myself, followed by a introduction about HKS's Dallas office and current structural group practice. Then we talked about my career goal and interests and compared if my interest fits HKS's future developing plan. The whole process is very relaxing and the staffs are very kind.

Junior Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at HKS in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online, and had a contact in the office process took around 3 weeks to schedule an interview. Very nice staff and good company atmosphere. Asked me to talk about my portfolio, and the concept behind my work

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 10 years?   2 Answers

Architect Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at HKS in March 2015.

Interview

I had two interviews - one phone interview and one in-office interview. Nothing special, basic questions like preferred project, preferred region, self-introduction, portfolio review... Half an hour long. They also showed their working space. A good place to start your career!

Summer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at HKS.

Interview

Met HKS at a college career fair, but only was told simply to apply online. Fortunately, had a connection from a previous employee that maintained contact with the office and provided a key connection for an in-office interview. While the office and staff were great, it was a typical large architecture firm with the standard interview questions. Highly recommend a detailed portfolio which you are able to maintain an in-depth conversation over.

Interview Questions

• Potential of pursuing licensureimmediately out of school   Answer Question

Architectural Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at HKS (Chicago, IL) in February 2014.

Interview

Was brought through a connection made at an industry event. Interview was great, but never heard back a response to this day. I understand the nature of the industry, but a simple yes, no, or maybe keep you in mind goes a long way.

Interview Questions

• What my confidence level was in an array of software programs   Answer Question

Intern Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HKS (Dallas, TX) in February 2014.

Interview

Essay and paragraphs to get short listed for the job, then video interview with leadership, then big group interview with the rest of the staff of the office in order to see how I would fit in the existing culture

Interview Questions

• What do you bring to the culture of the office and what do you expect of the office culture?   Answer Question

Job Captain Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at HKS.

Interview

I went through a recruiter. I don't recommend a recruiter. I know of others who were offered a signing bonus when they didn't go through a recruiter. Be prepared to show your design thinking and graphic skills. HOWEVER know that you will be in mostly production.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate very little.

Project Architect Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HKS.

Interview

It was like other interviews. Nothing special.

Negotiation

They pay really, really low and hope to make it up with bonuses.

Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at HKS (Washington, DC) in January 2013.

Interview

Well, hiring here is, like with most companies of this type, based on projects. As a result even if you are the right fit for this company there is always the question of the right project. This was where I wanted to work so I was patient with the company for two months or so before being called in.

The interview was simple and really the questions were based on my portfolio. There were the usual "why us?" questions.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question at the back of my head was "how much will you pay?". I never got to ask that because I didn't feel comfortable enough. I waited till a private phone call from management to broach to topic.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was given a range. always go higher!

Interior Design Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at HKS (Dallas, TX) in March 2012.

Interview

I felt extremely comfortable during my interview process. It was more of a conversation verses an question and answer interview. I truly felt like they were trying to get to know me and trying to educate me on who they are and what they do.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to work in a different department than the one interviewing for?   Answer Question