HKS Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2020

HKS President and CEO Dan Noble
Dan Noble
Pros
  • "Good work-life balance and real benefits like credentials and continuing education courses for employees are a plus(in 17 reviews)

• "Great place to learn how to put together a set of drawings(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Pay is low, health insurance is terrible(in 9 reviews)

• "Architecture can be an all consuming profession(in 9 reviews)

1. COVID-19

"You won't find a better firm."

Current Employee - Forum Member

I have been working at HKS full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

In my short time at HKS, I've been given opportunities to grow my career quickly and in the direction that I want to go in. Management cares about it's employees growth and development which shows in the studio daily. I'm also very proud of our leaderships response to COVID-19. This time is not easy for anyone, every firm has had to make some tough decisions. Dan and other leaders have been transparent along the way which we all need in a time when we aren't there to connect in person. I'm impressed that we have been able to stay our true, authentic selves and maintain our values and great culture during such a tough time.

Cons

I miss being in the office with my coworkers (especially for the social aspect) but I'm glad that HKS has taken every precaution necessary to keep our employees and families safe by having us stay home.

July 15, 2020Director of Global Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your thoughtful comments. In this unprecedented time, we rely more than ever on our firm values of Relationship, Character, and Purpose to guide us in our decision-making and respond to current events. We aim for continued transparency as this pandemic evolves and are glad to hear you are happy with our firm’s culture. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to our HR team.

2. "Good place to learn"

Former Employee - Architectural Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at HKS full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great place to learn how to put together a set of drawings. Work culture is very familial and great environment.

Cons

Not a design office, despite aspirations. Easy to get settled in a particular role. Not a lot of transparent communication throughout office.

July 14, 2020Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to provide your insight. We strive to lead with knowledge and believe it starts with fostering a learning environment within our teams. We appreciate your feedback and encourage you to continue this dialogue by reaching out to our HR team with specific feedback on design or communication.

"Strong, clear leadership connection during the health and financial crisis."

I have been working at HKS full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Our CEO Dan and our leadership teams give us strength during this unusual and crucial time. Our efficient and organized approach has enabled us to work from home protecting all of us, over 2 weeks ago. Their leadership is every present and palpable setting the example for the us to follow. The transparency combined with our CEOs calm informed approach is a voice of clarity which gives us confidence. Were in a strange time when the work priority is about connection. Dan keeps us connected, and he is connected to us.

Cons

Sure missing those water cooler conversations right now!

May 14, 2020Principal, Global Head of Human Resources

We appreciate your time to provide us this feedback. Our firm has remained strong despite the rapidly-changing environment, and we believe we are proving that we are one global firm as we navigate this together. If you have additional feedback or comments regarding COVID-19 or our suggestions regarding our future return to the office, please email hks@hksinc.com.

4. COVID-19

"Response to Covid-19"

Current Employee - Architect in Dallas, TX

I have been working at HKS full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have been very impressed with how HKS has handled the difficult circumstances brought on by Covid-19. I, personally, have been very anxious about the numerous changes happening as a result of social distancing. Working from home and the unknown impact to the market are two of my main concerns. The leadership and IT team's hard work made for a very easy transition to working remotely. The firm's transparency has given me some peace about the situation as well as confidence in the firm's ability to be flexible during difficult times. I have had multiple co-workers reach out to check on my family and me. In a way, I feel like this situation has brought us closer together. I am very happy to be employed by HKS and excited for what the future holds at this firm.

Cons

Not getting to see my co-workers during social distancing.

May 13, 2020Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you so much for your feedback. Our IT team (and many others) are working hard to provide support for our global firm and has been integral to our remote work success. We’ve always said we’re “one firm,” and that continues to be true as the pandemic has united us further as an HKS family. If you have additional feedback, please reach out to our Human Resources team.

5. COVID-19

"Poor Management"

2.0
    Former Employee - Senior Designer in Dallas, TX

I worked at HKS full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay/Benefits, High profile projects

Cons

Work hours, disrespect, poor management, no accountability for management, no loyalty to employees, absolutely no work/life balance

Continue reading

May 8, 2020Director of Global Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your honest insights and feedback. Understanding our people's real experiences is the only way we can continuously improve. With regards to staffing, we aim to provide our employees with a work/life balance that allows them to grow in their careers while maintaining flexibility in their personal lives. Collaboration is highly valued at HKS and we encourage our staff to discuss expectations of hours worked in advance of projects. We are continually improving our internal tools to increase the visibility of project fees, hours, and building performance of our projects to all staff. During this unprecedented time, the decision to reduce our workforce was a difficult and necessary one. Since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, leadership was transparent in addressing the firm’s financial situation with firmwide salary reductions, minimized discretionary spending, and urged of employees to reduce hours and furlough. As the pandemic progressed, HKS was forced to make more aggressive moves to ensure the health of the firm. If you have further concerns or would like to provide additional feedback, please reach out to our Human Resources team. Stay safe.

"It’s a great company, family focus"

Current Employee - Intern Architect in Dallas, TX

I have been working at HKS full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Friendly environment to work, everyone is able to help you.

Cons

Projects are so big and you will be stay working in the same project for years

May 12, 2020Director of Global Talent Acquisition

Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback. We aim to make HKS an inclusive environment and are glad this has been your experience. We appreciate your comments regarding projects, and if you’d like to provide further insight, please reach out to our Human Resources team.

"Top firm to work for"

Former Employee - Junior Architect in Miami, FL

I worked at HKS full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

they invest in their employees and limitless opportunities

Cons

politics can get in the way

May 14, 2020Principal, Global Head of Human Resources

With “limitless thinking” as part of our vision, we are glad to hear you experienced that entrepreneurial spirit during your time at HKS. We aim to help our employees grow personally and professionally during their time with us. Thanks again for your feedback.

"Good office"

Current Employee - Architectural Designer

I have been working at HKS full-time for less than a year

Pros

very chill office culture, nice people

Cons

a little bit messy organization structure

May 12, 2020Director of Global Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback. HKS aims to create a culture across our 24 offices that aligns with our values: relationships, character, and purpose. If you’d like to share additional feedback, feel free to reach out to our Human Resources team.

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Intern Architect

I worked at HKS full-time

Pros

Large firm with lots of resources

Cons

Cumbersome at times due to its size

May 13, 2020Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. If you have additional details you’d like to share, we’d love to hear them. Please reach out to our Human Resources team.

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Construction Administrator in Dallas, TX

I worked at HKS full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Wide variety of projects from all over the world, interesting people

Cons

Hard to move up without knowing the right people in leadership

Continue reading

May 12, 2020Director of Global Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased to hear your experience at HKS allowed you to experience our global community. We appreciate your honesty, and if you would like to share more about your experience, please reach out to our Human Resources team.

Found 180 reviews