HKS Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
HKS President and CEO Dan Noble
Dan Noble

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • HKS cares about their employees work/life balance and I don't feel like I'm working in a sweatshop (in 9 reviews)

• HKS is actually a great place to work (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is low, health insurance is terrible (in 6 reviews)

• Large firm makes personal growth harder (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Outstanding Culture, Innovative Work, Great People."

Current Employee - Forum in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Forum in Dallas, TX

I have been working at HKS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture at HKS is exceptional. Leadership accepts the fact that in today's workforce, work life balance is essential. With the combination of sick/vacation time given, maternity and paternity leave, as well as other benefits and family friendly events, it shows that leadership recognizes importance of a life outside of work.

You not only get to work on amazing projects, you work with talented people who are frontrunners in the design industry and genuinely care for your professional development. The people on my team and office are always there to listen, help and make it easy to want to come into work every day. HKS also does groundbreaking research which not only betters the projects we work on, but advances the design industry as a whole.

Leadership is consistently encouraging feedback and embracing transparency and there have been new initiatives that have come from that. There has been an initiative launched just this year around diversity. Leadership in the firm (including our CEO) have been championing this initiative and it truly was born from them hearing the feedback that came from employees at the firm.

Cons

As a forum member of the firm, I take the DART train into work. I would much rather drive my car, but I will say it is nice that the DART rail drops off at the front door.

Deadlines can be stressful.

Advice to Management

Continue to take what is important to your employees to create change. The new diversity initiative is a great start to this. It shifts our culture for the better and makes us a more competitive organization in the industry.

2. "Excellent firm, culture and people!!"

Current Employee - Architect in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Architect in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at HKS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There's alot of talent here and the people are great to work with. Although it's a big firm, it's a warm and welcoming environment where you're not just a number. Upper management cares about their employees and the CEO is awesome. HKS cares about their employees work/life balance and I don't feel like I'm working in a sweatshop. Of course there will be deadlines that require working long hours, but for the most part I have a life outside the office. The company understands our personal needs and allows flex work schedule. They also provide laptops to all employees to access technology from anywhere. The firmwide and office resources are excellent. They also pay for parking and transit subsidies. Other benefits such as 401k, health/dental, etc are pretty much on par with other large firms. Oh and they even offer pet insurance!

Cons

There's always going to be pros and cons at every office. I think there are way less cons at HKS than at other large firms I've worked at. If had to think of some, it would probably be the benefits. They have a good vacation/sick policy which adds up to about 5 weeks total whereas other firms only provide only 3 weeks PTO for vacation/sick. My biggest complaint would be the dental and health insurance. They only offer HDHP/HSA health insurance plans which I suppose is becoming the industry standard. The HMO dental insurance is cheap but not all that great in terms of their in-network dentists...however the PPO dental insurance is expensive. Other than that I don't have many complaints.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and continue listening to your employees. Happy employees make HKS great which result in well executed projects and happy clients. As Richard Branson says..."If you take care of your employees, they will take care of your clients"

"Love the Culture, Love the Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at HKS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture here is fantastic. Leadership is accessible and approachable. Lots of focus on things that are important to me personally (Green/Sustainable Initiatives, Community give back initiatives, employees-first mentality). The projects I'm working are challenging and allow me to continue to learn. Speaking of learning, the company fully supports continuous growth and learning for their employees.

Cons

Only con is that they are located downtown Dallas, which could be a lengthy commute if you live out in the suburbs of the city. Traffic can be bad.

Jun 29, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

We are thrilled to hear that firm initiatives align with your personal interests, good fit!

4. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Interior Designer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Interior Designer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at HKS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Work hard, play hard atmosphere
    -Casual Fridays
    -Breakfast Club Fridays
    -Everyone who works here is extremely friendly, if you're new everyone wants to get to know you
    -Intern program is top notch - lots of perks and you're always treated like you're full time (none of that grabbing coffee nonsense)
    -Opportunities galore (office exchange programs, Beer Fridays, Wine Wednesdays, vendor lunches/dinners, traveling to project sites, etc.)
    -Great commuter benefits. DART rail drops off right in front of the office building (Dallas)

Cons

Honestly none that I can think of...

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work :)

5. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - Marketing in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing in Dallas, TX

I have been working at HKS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice and smart people who are always looking for the best outcomes on projects, flexible work arrangements, great work-life balance

Cons

Can be a little disorganized

6. "A blessing in disguise"

I have been working at HKS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Modern Office Environment
    Work-Life Balance
    Work Culture

Cons

Nothing to report for CONS.

"Management Inclusion"

Current Employee - Architect
    Current Employee - Architect

I have been working at HKS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management, at every level, is very inclusive of ideas and contributions from all levels of employee. The company values career growth and development, and provides incredible opportunity within the industry.

Cons

The company is evolving constantly, and sometimes seems to lack a strong sense of pedigree or industry dominance in some areas.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide the current level of opportunity to younger professionals - this is very unique in the industry and an extremely great attribute of the company.

8. "Entry-Level Architect"

Current Employee - Architect in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Architect in Dallas, TX

I have been working at HKS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good working environment, professional work. People are friendly and it's an ideal place to start your career. HKS is a great firm! I have learnt a lot.

Cons

I'm not sure yet. I enjoy working here.

9. "Architect I"

Pros

Friendly people, fun work culture

Cons

Pay is low, health insurance is terrible.

Jul 14, 2017 – Manager, Global Talent Acquisition

Please contact HR with your feedback regarding benefit offerings. Based on the industry, our employee population and market conditions, we believe that the options we provide for our employees are... More

"Executive Assistant"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at HKS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, culture, office location, advancement opportunities, and compensation. HKS treats hard workers and life long learners very well. It's a fair company and you get what you put in.

Cons

Too much focus on yearly promotions can lead to deflated moral and the loss of talent.

Advice to Management

Be more visible! Take a few minutes and walk around the office. Engage face to face, especially with the younger staff. One good conversation can do wonders for a person's trajectory.

Jun 29, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your feedback, and being more visible around the office is good advice for everyone.