HZ Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Senior Digital Strategist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at HZ (Rockville, MD) in August 2016.

Interview

I was e-mailed on a Wednesday afternoon. Not for a screener, but by a recruiter who was immediately asking me to come in for an in-person interview the next day. I agreed to come 9am the next morning, though it felt rushed.

Without offering any breaks or food, I was forced to speak with roughly 10 different people through 5 hours of non-stop interviews. By the end I was unfocused, weak, and hungry. It was an awful experience.

The whole thing felt rushed and unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• I was asked many questions, repeatedly, by many people.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at HZ (Rockville, MD) in June 2010.

Interview

the interview process was pretty painless … they had a significant employee turnover and needed many new people to fill positions left open from people leaving. They showed me their office and awards which were all impressive and talked about interesting clients and new opportunities. at first impression it is a fun office full of beautiful people…. first impressions can be deceiving though

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I negotiated extra vacation time for a lower salary

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HZ (Rockville, MD).

Interview

This was literally THE worst interview I have ever had. Despite all the negative reviews, I went into my interview with an open-mind, excited to meet with the team since it seems to be such a great company, but boy, was I disappointed.

I met with 4 people total. One of the ladies from the first group was very nice and pleasant. The other was incredibly callous, patronizing and made the entire interview feel like an interrogation. She showed up late to the interview, admitted that she was "too busy to read my resume", and asked irrelevant questions that, had she had taken the time to read my resume, she would have known some of the answers to. She seemed to belittle me during the entire interview, and came off extremely harsh for no reason. She didn't ask thought-provoking questions, but instead barked superficial questions at me. The other interviewer sat there quiet and uncomfortable, almost afraid to speak. I spent 30 minutes meeting with them during this awkward and uncomfortable session, and even though I have an amazing background with strong, reputable companies on my resume, I still felt entirely humiliated afterwards. I had to force myself to continue on in meeting the next group.

The next two interviewers came in and were extremely friendly. They took the time to ask thoughtful questions and really tried to get to know my background and experience. Some red flags during the questioning came up though, as it didn't seem like they were truly happy to be at the company, due to work-life balance (working long hours) and stress from clients (which is expected in this industry).

While it was great speaking with the latter group, overall, I walked out pretty much knowing that I wasn't getting the job because of the one interviewer who it was apparent that she didn't like me. Since I don't fit the sorority girl look (like many of the other employees that I saw there) and based on the interviewer's reaction to meeting me without even speaking determining that she somehow didn't like me/think I was a fit, I knew I didn't stand a chance.

This company should seriously consider having unprepared and unqualified interviewers representing the face of their company, especially nowadays, where customer service and a positive interview experience are extremely important. Not getting a job there was actually a blessing in disguise; if this is how they treat candidates, I can only imagine how they treat employees. Avoid at all costs.

Interview Questions

• "You say this is a great company, but WHY do you want to work here?"
      "Are you able to handle long hours working through lunch and staying late?"   Answer Question

Aug 2, 2017 – Business Development Manager

We’re sorry to hear that you did not have a positive interview experience with HZ. Because we work in a fast-paced, results-based service industry, our managers often ask candidates about their... More

Junior Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at HZ (New York, NY) in June 2018.

Interview

Casual, warm, positive. We saw the office, met the design team, and discussed the projects the company had done and what would be coming up. The space had an open layout and shared an office with another company. Employees seemed young on average and very passionate.

Interview Questions

• What types of design I like   1 Answer

Senior Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HZ (Rockville, MD) in August 2015.

Interview

I was offered an interview shortly after submitted my materials. Interviewed with three sets of people (was supposed to be four). Felt like I was listening more than talking, they didn't ask a lot of questions. After the third person left the room, no one else returned and I ended up walking out after 30 minutes of no response as I found that very disrespectful.

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at HZ (Rockville, MD).

Interview

I had applied online for a design position with HZDG and hadn't heard anything. Then a few months later, I received a rather general email from a recruiter asking me if I'd like to come in to talk. I asked the recruiter on the telephone if they were looking for a designer or developer and they said they weren't sure, but to come in and they could "tell me more about the opportunity."

The interview was very strange because I didn't even know going in exactly what they were looking for, but my background is diversified so I brought my entire portfolio with me and was prepared to give a presentation. When I first arrived I met with the recruiter from the phone screening. She asked personal questions about my current salary and job history, which unfortunately is common but after my interview experience makes me wonder if they were gathering data about the market.

I waited about 10 minutes and the first interviewer came in, followed by another one later. They looked at my website briefly but mainly they talked about themselves and the company, showing off all the awards they've won and how they have all sorts of clubs and activities you can get involved in. One of the interviewers brought a beverage into the room and was drinking it between asking me questions. They also commented about how tired they were. One of the strangest questions was, "What do you like to do in your free time?"

When it came time for me to ask questions, I made sure to ask about work-life balance since from what I've read on Glassdoor that is an issue for their employees. They explained that they often go home after work, tuck their kids into bed, work from home until 2:00 in the morning, and come back in the next day at 8:30 AM. No wonder they were so tired!

I find it appalling that a company in the digital field would expect this from their employees. I also believe that a company who is "woman owned" (especially) should respect the lives of professionals who may have children, not to mention employees in general (male and female) who do not want to make work their *entire* life. As a creative professional, taking a break from the screen is crucial. Working people at all hours in an erratic manner does absolutely zero for productivity and collaboration.

At the time of my interview I was already employed, so in order to go on an interview I had to take time off from work. I did follow up with the recruiter after my interview and thanked them for their time. I'm shocked that a company of such "prestige" didn't even have the decency to follow up. Proper manners go a long way. In my 15 years of web design and development experience—on both sides of the interview table—I was quite surprised by how they operate.

Interview Questions

HZ Response

Feb 6, 2017 – Business Development Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with thoughtful feedback on your recent interview experience at HZ.

It’s true that rapid growth often comes with some growing pains. At HZ, we’ve been... More

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HZ (Rockville, MD) in September 2016.

Interview

Brief phone screen and then a 2 hour in-person interview chatting with a person in HR and 3-4 other people on their design teams.

My biggest take away is that the company didn't seem to devote many resources to their UX team and they are struggling to fill/ not keen on filling this UX role that has been open for a few months and the company is letting the rest of the team support the weight of that- until further notice.

No design challenge, no portfolio review. Nice conversation and Q&A opportunities though, a great way to showcase their team culture and personalities.

Also, there was never a rejection call/email. No next steps until I reached out twice to follow up. It's OK if a candidate is a No, but it's a common courtesy to tell them that after an in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• Several hypotheticals such as how would you present to a client if they disagreed with your design, etc.   Answer Question

Nov 30, 2016 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you did not have a positive interview experience. You are correct, we are trying to address a staffing need as demand is increasing for UX... More

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HZ (Rockville, MD).

Interview

Had several phone interviews with a couple departments. I applied for one job and they wanted me for one I didn’t apply for. Asked to come in the following week. Met with many employees for about 2-3 hours. Seemed to go very well. Great office space. Got a tour. I emailed to thank everyone i met with. Most emailed back. Zero follow up on status of next steps which is so unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• If you had all the money in the world what would you do with your time?   Answer Question

Senior Copywriter/Brand Strategist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at HZ (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

Got call in for interview, went and met with the NYC creative team. They were sharp and nice, discussed work and the industry and reviewed my portfolio.

Then had to wait for the creative director (who was over an hour late coming into the office for a late morning interview, c'mon). Had to repeat the entire interview before she proceeded to tell me they weren't really looking for a copywriter but someone to do branding exercises, clients were all below no-name (local real estate, etc.; all interesting work is being done in MD/DC office) and strongly hinted they were looking for a woman.

All of which is fine, not everything is a perfect fit and that's okay. But I sent a thank you note and never even heard a peep back. My mind was blown that someplace this small-time is comfortable big-leaguing anyone. I'd steer clear.

Interview Questions

• Portfolio review, experience, etc. etc. Nothing surprising.   1 Answer

Jun 17, 2016 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback, and for calling attention to what sounds like a frustrating interview experience. First, we're sorry that this happened. Secondly, we know that... More

Interview

The interview process was very smooth. I had two phone conversations with HR and a Director and was brought in for an in-person interview, where I met with an HR person and also the Manager.

Interview Questions

• Give an example in which you navigated a difficult situation.   Answer Question