Hanover Research Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Hanover Research Interview Questions

Updated Nov 30, 2017

2.9

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hanover Research.

Interview

I was contacted via email shortly after applying and submitting a writing sample, and invited to do a lengthy online test which they claim has to do with personality, but seems more like typing skills and IQ. Very odd compared to other tests I've taken for other companies. A day or two after the test, I got an email telling me that "based on a further review of my resume and qualifications" they would be going forward with other candidates. Why did I have to do this test then? This place seems like a scam. The same job I applied for was reposted multiple times looking for applicants, and now two months later, is posted again. I'd recommend not wasting your time by applying.

Interview Questions

• One part of the test was to evaluate shapes and determine what they would look like if you twisted or turned them around.   Answer Question

Dec 4, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that you did not feel your experience with Hanover was positive. We have an FAQ section on our careers page that outlines the interview process, including how... More

Qualitative Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Hanover Research (Arlington, VA) in November 2017.

Interview

I submitted my application online and quickly received an email inviting me to complete an online assessment, which asked me about my personality and work style and had me complete a series of assignments/games measuring my typing speed, reading comprehension, spatial reasoning, and ability to think on my feet. A few days after submitting the online assessment, I was contacted for my phone screening. About 2 weeks after that, I was given a research prompt and I had 5 days to complete a mock research report. I had to provide background research on a specific industry, and then I designed an interview protocol and assembled a list of names and contact information of industry experts who the company could theoretically interview. A week after submitting my research report, I interviewed at the office, doing 3 one-on-one interviews one after the other. One week later, I was extended an offer and given 7 days to decide. I declined Hanover's offer to take a different one.

Interview Questions

• How can you apply your skills with qualitative academic research to qualitative market research?   Answer Question

Content Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hanover Research (Arlington, VA) in October 2017.

Interview

I submitted an online application and then received an invitation to take an online assessment. This included logic and grammar items, as well as personality assessment questions. It also included two open-ended questions that were completely off the wall: 1) How would things be the same, and how would things be different, if people could fly? And 2) Imagine you have been orbiting Saturn in a space station for the past five years. What is your daily routine? After taking the assessment, I knew Hanover was not a good fit for me. Maybe the assessment actually worked – I did not make it to the next step.

Interview Questions

• How would things be the same, and how would things be different, if people could fly?   Answer Question
    • Imagine you have been orbiting Saturn in a space station for the past five years. What is your daily routine?   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hanover Research (Washington, DC) in September 2017.

Interview

The interview process began with an online personality exam. I was then contacted for a 20-30 minute phone screen. Once completed, I was issued a prompt to complete a mock research report. Following the mock report is an inperson interview.

Senior Market Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hanover Research (Washington, DC).

Interview

Applied June 28, received online assessment July 3, completed online assessment July 5, phone interview with recruiter July 26, received mock research report assignment July 31, submitted research assignment August 2, rejection received August 17 - 7 weeks total.
    I am quite disappointed by my experience with Hanover, particularly because 1) the process deviated from what the recruiter described, 2) twice I had to chase up timelines when HR/recruiter said they would respond (and they had not), and 3) the quality of my work was not referenced in the reason for not being invited for a final interview.
    First, the recruiter described the process well as phone interview, mock exercise, and final interview, but ultimately, there was no final interview. It appeared that they hired another candidate outside of this process, which gives the impression that not all candidates are treated equally.
    Secondly, Hanover is good at offering when they will provide you with a response, but they are not terribly great at sticking to that timeline. You most likely will need to chase them up, which does not make a candidate feel positively about what it is like to work at Hanover.
    Thirdly, the recruiter stated that I would receive feedback on my mock research report exercise, but after chasing him up after he twice missed feedback deadlines, he said they went with another candidate that had "a bit more experience in our niche market". I was offered no feedback on my work - indicating that it may have not even been read, which would indicate that my application was not judged on its merit - and no opportunity to interview, which is a common technique used if the hiring is "a tough decision".
    I would not discourage anyone from applying; although, I would discourage anyone from expecting HR/recruiting to follow industry standards and/or adhere to the timelines that they set.
    Growing pains and lost opportunities, Hanover.

Interview Questions

Hanover Research Response

Sep 8, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to read that your recruiter was slow to respond to you and did not stick to the timeline. This is not something that is acceptable, regardless of the outcome... More

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Hanover Research (Arlington, VA).

Interview

Note: As I write this review, I have yet to hear about an offer as I just had my interview, but the estimated time is within a week.

Resume/ Cover letter review > phone call > data assignment > Skype interview with team. The process progressed weekly. There were no surprises in the final interview, questions were relevant to the position. No math or data brain teaser questions. Not a lot of focus on questions related to the data task, which surprised me, but I would recommend being well-versed in how you tackled the assignment anyway.

Interview Questions

• What is a mistake that you made in data analysis that effected your work and other people?   Answer Question
    • How do your peers describe you?   Answer Question
    • Describe your experience working on survey research -- what parts of the process were you involved in?   Answer Question
    • What are things you have learned to avoid in designing surveys and absolute "dos" for survey design?   Answer Question
    • How do you explain complex concepts to unfamiliar audiences?   Answer Question

Data Analytics Interview

Interview

The interview process was fairly simple. It started with an initial screening followed by technical and behavioral interviews on Skype. The last step was to provide a writing sample. Got the offer after they reviewed my writing sample.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable with data cleaning, data transformation and database modeling?   1 Answer

Content Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hanover Research (Arlington, VA) in August 2017.

Interview

After I submitted my application I was contacted by a recruiter to take an SAT-style test that had elements of a personality quiz, verbal and logic based questions as well as a typing and writing test. From there I had a phone interview with the recruiter who asked questions about my background, interests and process for content management.

Next I was asked to edit an assignment. If you've ever worked in copy editing or research, this is the easiest part of the entire process. I actually enjoyed completing the assignment and took it as a indication that if the day-to-day work was similar, I would enjoy the role.

Finally, there was an in-person interview with the hiring managers. I spoke to three different people for about 45 minutes each. The questions mostly focused on my skill sets as a researcher and approach to business problems. For example, I was asked about turf analysis, quantitative skills and project management.

While I did receive an offer, I ultimately declined for three reasons. One the work week was expected to be between 50-60 hours the first month and from there 45-55 hours. Personally, I'm not interested in that many hours. Second, the base salary offered was $6K lower than what I told them my minimum was, although they said I could easily make it up with bonuses based on renewal and retention and finally, they didn't offer any relocation.

I don't think that the job itself is a bad one and I felt that the Content Directors seemed to have it easier than the Research Analysts in terms of work load but if I'm going to change jobs and move, it needs to be a really great match, not just a good one.

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hanover Research.

Interview

Standard background overview with some follow-up questions. Those follow-ups usually have you expand on specific experiences or positions. Additional questions were asked about work style and situational response type.

There was also a brief description of the company and the work being done.

Interview Questions

Hanover Research Response

Jul 24, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. It is unclear from your shared experience why this was a negative experience. Is it because you didn't move forward in the process? If something else made this a negative... More

Content Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hanover Research.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted within two weeks to schedule a phone interview. The call went well and I enjoyed speaking with their HR officer. After the phone screen, I was asked to complete a "homework assignment". While a skills review/test is fairly standard, to have one be the next step after an initial phone screen isn't something I've encountered before. The "assignment" was to research and write a paper on a topic they chose and the turnaround time was roughly two weeks. A skills assessment is to be expected for many positions. However, this ultimately came across as the company asking for free work. I did complete the assignment, but their hiring process left a bad impression.

Jul 24, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry the interview process left a poor impression on you. The homework assignment is a mock assessment that allows candidates to get a sense of the scope and pace... More