Harlem Children's Zone Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 7, 2017

2.7

Human Resources Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Harlem Children's Zone (New York, NY) in September 2017.

Interview

Received a request for a phone screen, accepted, scheduled the time and arranged to be free for the call. I never heard from the recruiter. A day later, I received an email, saying I could reschedule the phone screen. There is a huge fundamental problem when a recruiter can't keep a phone screen or at least follow up after missing a scheduled call . Being familiar with Harlem Children's Zone, I strongly suggest that the Corporate/Admin office be put through an orientation similar to that which it requires its student's or parents to go through that details integrity, ability to keep to a schedule and professionalism.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Harlem Children's Zone (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

Applied online and received an email asking to schedule an interview a few days later. Interviewed with three people in the department. The interview was long and consisted of various behavioral questions as well as very specific questions regarding each item on my resume.

School Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Harlem Children's Zone (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

The hiring manager contacted me to schedule an in person interview. She was nice and efficient. I went for the interview . I met with the school principal and another staff member.

Interview Questions

• Where do see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Harlem Children's Zone (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied online, was contacted several weeks for a phone interview. Came in for two in-person interviews later. All I can say is do not waste your time with this organization. The interview experience was incredibly toxic and truly showed the type of people that work here. I felt like I was on trial for a crime and should've brought a defense attorney with me to the interview. Questions were focused on my previous job experience and why I was looking to leave, almost no questions surrounded my skillsets, ideas, or philosophies. Everything was solely centered on why I was looking to leave my current job, questions were re-asked in a different way but, was essentially the same question. They are more concerned with looking for people who won't leave because they know they have incredibly negative experiences with employees.

Interview Questions

• Questions surrounding why I was looking to leave my current employer + what I could do differently to make my experience there more "enjoyable".   Answer Question

Healthy Harlem Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Harlem Children's Zone (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

Phone interview, followed by site interview, followed by teach-back interaction with group of students. It took 6 months from first interview to start date despite being told that the start date would come much sooner. I respect this organization and I do know that many things rely on fingerprints and background checks from the state, but there must be a better way. Terrible!

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Harlem Children's Zone (New York, NY).

Interview

Within one week of submitting an application online I was contacted for a phone interview. I was immediately asked to come in for a demo/in-person. The interview made me feel like I was an inconvenience more than anything. No one was ready and it didn't begin on time. The person I was set to interview with never interviewed me and did not see my demo lesson but another team member did and filmed it. Although I thought I did well, I left unsure about whether I got the job.

Major Gifts Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Harlem Children's Zone (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

I was screened and contacted to schedule a phone interview late last year, and it was conducted extremely unprofessionally. Once I hadn't heard from the interviewer 10 minutes after our scheduled time, I phoned the organization to make sure we hadn't agreed upon my calling. The interviewer wasn't at her desk at the time which was even more confusing. She called back within a few minutes and although I interviewed well, I didn't have a good feeling about moving forward. I never received feedback or any email (even after I contacted the interviewer via phone and email). Additionally, I have not heard the best things from current or former employees about this organization, so it was just as well. I am not impressed with how HCZ is run and certainly not inclined to apply for anything else here. Not the best experience from a professional standpoint.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Harlem Children's Zone (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

They were tough! Seemed to play a good-cop, bad-cop dynamic. It consisted of a short tour and a panel interview with the principal and assistant principal. I thought I had bombed it, but they gave me an offer!

Interview Questions

• Are you familiar with the Teachers College Writing Workshop?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Harlem Children's Zone (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

Very casual. A recruiter contacted me after I submitted my resume. When I interviewed, the principal asked what I knew about the school; described the kids as inner-city and entitled, meaning that they get so many services in the program that they are spoiled; asked about my classroom management; asked how I build relationships; and other questions.

Note: It wasn't until the END of the interview that I was informed that this was an ASSISTANT teacher position. The recruiter had led me to believe it was a CO-TEACHER position.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a way that you re-taught something based on your review of students' work.   1 Answer

Prospect Research Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Harlem Children's Zone.

Interview

I met with a dept. head and another. I am not sure of the exact job titles because they never gave me a business card.
    The neighborhood is really junky and I wouldn't want to work there and arrive super early in the morning when people are still coming off their all-night binges.
    Sad decrepit area. Standoffish people.