Harlem Children's Zone Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 6, 2017

2.6

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Harlem Children's Zone (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied online, was contacted several weeks for a phone interview. Came in for two in-person interviews later. All I can say is do not waste your time with this organization. The interview experience was incredibly toxic and truly showed the type of people that work here. I felt like I was on trial for a crime and should've brought a defense attorney with me to the interview. Questions were focused on my previous job experience and why I was looking to leave, almost no questions surrounded my skillsets, ideas, or philosophies. Everything was solely centered on why I was looking to leave my current job, questions were re-asked in a different way but, was essentially the same question. They are more concerned with looking for people who won't leave because they know they have incredibly negative experiences with employees.

Interview Questions

• Questions surrounding why I was looking to leave my current employer + what I could do differently to make my experience there more "enjoyable".   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Harlem Children's Zone (New York, NY).

Interview

Within one week of submitting an application online I was contacted for a phone interview. I was immediately asked to come in for a demo/in-person. The interview made me feel like I was an inconvenience more than anything. No one was ready and it didn't begin on time. The person I was set to interview with never interviewed me and did not see my demo lesson but another team member did and filmed it. Although I thought I did well, I left unsure about whether I got the job.

Major Gifts Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Harlem Children's Zone (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

I was screened and contacted to schedule a phone interview late last year, and it was conducted extremely unprofessionally. Once I hadn't heard from the interviewer 10 minutes after our scheduled time, I phoned the organization to make sure we hadn't agreed upon my calling. The interviewer wasn't at her desk at the time which was even more confusing. She called back within a few minutes and although I interviewed well, I didn't have a good feeling about moving forward. I never received feedback or any email (even after I contacted the interviewer via phone and email). Additionally, I have not heard the best things from current or former employees about this organization, so it was just as well. I am not impressed with how HCZ is run and certainly not inclined to apply for anything else here. Not the best experience from a professional standpoint.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Harlem Children's Zone (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

They were tough! Seemed to play a good-cop, bad-cop dynamic. It consisted of a short tour and a panel interview with the principal and assistant principal. I thought I had bombed it, but they gave me an offer!

Interview Questions

• Are you familiar with the Teachers College Writing Workshop?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Harlem Children's Zone (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

Very casual. A recruiter contacted me after I submitted my resume. When I interviewed, the principal asked what I knew about the school; described the kids as inner-city and entitled, meaning that they get so many services in the program that they are spoiled; asked about my classroom management; asked how I build relationships; and other questions.

Note: It wasn't until the END of the interview that I was informed that this was an ASSISTANT teacher position. The recruiter had led me to believe it was a CO-TEACHER position.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a way that you re-taught something based on your review of students' work.   1 Answer

Prospect Research Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Harlem Children's Zone.

Interview

I met with a dept. head and another. I am not sure of the exact job titles because they never gave me a business card.
    The neighborhood is really junky and I wouldn't want to work there and arrive super early in the morning when people are still coming off their all-night binges.
    Sad decrepit area. Standoffish people.

Elementary Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Harlem Children's Zone (New York, NY).

Interview

Had a pretty standard phone screening interview, then was offered an in-person interview. They were clearly pretty desperate, because after the teaching demo and 10 minute interview, they gave me a job on the spot. I did a teaching demo with the principal, math and reading coach, and a teacher in the classroom. I then had a 10 minute interview, and got a job on the spot!

Interview Questions

• If I (principal) ask you to do something, and then you don't think it will work, what would you do?   1 Answer

Student Advocate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Harlem Children's Zone.

Interview

I was referred to the organization by a friend. I had been under the impression that I would be interviewed for a student advocate position based on his advice to review that job description. When I was interviewed, it became very clear that they didn't even know what they were interviewing me for. In fact, about 30 minutes in I was asked to specify which position I had applied for.

When I arrived for the interview, I had a fair amount time to observe the flow in the school, Promise Academy II. The interviewer walked into the office I had been directed to wait in and did not acknowledge me for 30 minutes at least. There was a second person interviewing me who arrived about a half an hour after my interview was scheduled to start. I watched both of these people carrying on what seemed like a very entertaining personal conversation. It was only after a less senior staff person pointed out yay I was waiting for them that they thought to acknowledge me.

When I was brought upstairs to the interview room, the most senior person sat behind his desk eating a sandwich and randomly interjecting with his own questions. No one seemed to know what they were doing or what they were trying to learn about me.

Eventually the interview wrapped up and I was told to wait while the 4 people who had interviewed me discussed what had transpired. Several minutes later, I was approached by one of the people who had interviewed me.

While I was being escorted away from the interview room and towards the stairs, I was hurriedly offered a position that was nothing like what I had been led to believe.

After requesting some time to think about it, I declined the offer. Several days later, I was contacted by the secretary of one of the interviewers and she quickly jumped to telling me that I was being offered the original role I was interested in to provide the number of hours that I needed.

By then I had seen way too much.

Interview Questions

There is a disturbing lack of professionalism amongst the staff given the wonderful mission of the organization. With all the money available to HCZ, they are capable of incredible things. However, they need to foster a culture of professionalism and accountability before anything can change.

Science Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Harlem Children's Zone (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

The hiring process was very time consuming. Very brief phone and email response happened a few days after I applied. Then an interview was set up. Interview was very standard where I was asked questions about my previous relevant experience and other standard questions. Then a demo lesson was set up where I did a brief activity with a small group of students. Shortly after the interview I received an email saying they would like to hire me. I then went through a week or two period of communication difficulties and after sending several emails was scheduled for an orientation and background check. The whole hiring process took close to 2 months from start to finish.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience working with children in urban communities?   Answer Question

Preschool Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Harlem Children's Zone (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

Applied online and called for a demo/interview. First thing I did was complete a demo then a small group activity. The faculty members send you to the office and wait while they debrief.