Health Catalyst Interview Questions

Updated Jul 31, 2020

To filter interviews, or .

Interviews at Health Catalyst

Recruiter3%
HardAverageEasy
Found 70 candidate interviews
Anonymous Interview Candidate in United States
Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Health Catalyst (United States) in Jun 2020

Interview

They have a very standardized interview process. Phone call w HR, take-home tech skills assessment, panel interview. I did fine on the initial two phases, and comparing my code to other solutions up on GitHub, it was not hard to advance to the panel round. This is where the experience wasn't so good - the initial interviewer had technical difficulties and was at least 5 minutes late. Throughout that first hour, he mentioned time being short several times, and saved a tech coding question for the last 20 minutes. As I start to define some entity classes, he stops me and says not to, just focus on the algorithm because there isn't enough time. This essentially strips away a frame of reference for myself to use when implementing the algorithm - it wasn't a difficult problem, but the frequent reminders about time running out are not really conducive to do my best problem solving. It was unprofessional and threw me off, so much so that I mentioned it to the next two interviewers in the second hour. If you are trying to assess how a SE tries to solve a problem or implement an algorithm, let them work it out!

Interview Questions
  • Find all employees that report up to a single manager.
    1 Answer
Anonymous Interview Candidate in United States
Application

I interviewed at Health Catalyst (United States)

Interview

Interactions were timely, conversations were professional. Skills assessment made sense and helped filter candidates. Interview with the hiring manager was interesting and more of a conversation. I could tell they were managed well.

Interview Questions
Share on TwitterShare on WhatsAppShare via Email
Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Health Catalyst (Salt Lake City, UT)

Interview

The first interview was informational and I answered basic questions about my work experience and career goals. I then had a SQL Test that reviewed my knowledge of SQL. After I passed the test, I received feedback and had a second interview where I went to SLC. That interview included a client scenario where I explained how I would code and visualize data. I received a job offer about 2-3 days after my second interview in SLC.

Interview Questions
  • They asked how I would write code in SQL.
Anonymous Interview Candidate in United States
Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Health Catalyst (United States)

Interview

The initial interview was with the recruiter. At a high level, information about the position and Health Catalyst was shared, including the approved salary range. It was stated that the whole process would take 3-4 weeks. Following an interview with the recruiter, there was a skills evaluation. This included 3 parts: 1) Watch/listen to a customer interview and identify specific elements 2) Analyze a raw data set, synthesize, and identify successes 3) Edit a case study The skills evaluation took 6-8 hours. While there wasn't a lot of instruction sent with the evaluation, the hiring manager did follow up, provide clarification, and allow me the opportunity to fix one part of the evaluation. I did make those changes. The next step was a phone interview with the hiring manager, which lasted 30 minutes. For the first time talking with the hiring manager, this felt extremely rushed. There wasn't adequate time to thoroughly discuss the position and for each of us to work through all of our questions. I wasn't asked any technical questions, which seemed fine given the extensive skills evaluation. It was strange to learn that the entire team had worked with the hiring manager at previous organizations. One can't help but wonder if the playing field is level at that point, but the practice of recruiting former employees happens everywhere. I was not chosen for the final round, which would have been an interview with the rest of the team. The process did take around 6 weeks, as opposed to 3-4 as stated initially. The recruiter and hiring manager both had excellent communication throughout the process, which was appreciated and made this a positive experience.

Interview Questions
  • Skills evaluation included identifying customer problems and displaying outcomes in a graphical representation.
Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
Application

I applied online. The process took 3 months. I interviewed at Health Catalyst (Salt Lake City, UT) in Nov 2019

Interview

The process was pretty thorough I was first contacted by the Recruiter at the end of November for the initial phone interview. A few days after that, I was asked to submit a writing sample which I completed over the weekend and submitted on a Monday morning. I was immediately contacted for a 2nd interview with a member of the team that was in a similar role. One week after that I had a 3rd interview with the manager of the group. It went well and I was invited for an on-site interview in Salt Lake City after the first of the year. The onsite interview was coordinated extremely well. I met with my manager and 3 additional members of the team. I was also given a tour of the building. I have to say this was one of the most thorough and organized interview processes I've ever encountered. Though it was a long process, I was kept informed the entire time. The recruiter was awesome in that aspect. Very respectful and courteous in keeping me updated even when he didn't have anything new to provide. After multiple interviews with other companies, I was exhausted and drained with little hope left when this opportunity popped up. This company practices what they preach particularly when it comes to their values, culture and employee appreciation. You can feel it and see it on every level. I thought I would have received info on an offer in Salt Lake but it was another couple of weeks before I was contacted again in which they asked for my references. There was some back and forth with that but I was eventually contacted with an offer. Being that this position is unique they offered me a temp to perm type of offer for 90 days which I gladly accepted.

Interview Questions
  • I applied for the Program Manger | Proposal Solutions position as my background is in Proposal Management but because this role would be a bit unique for this group, I was asked "specific" questions as to what they were needing and not your standard
Anonymous Interview Candidate in United States
Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Health Catalyst (United States) in Oct 2019

Interview

I applied online and was reached out by the recruiter two weeks later to schedule a call. The recruiter was very nice and welcoming. The recruiter talked about the company, description of the position and went through what the interview process would look like which was estimated to take around 3-4 weeks depending on the candidate. After my phone call, I received the assessment and completed it within the time frame provided. After a few days, the recruiter followed up and notified that I have not been chosen to move forward but provided extensive feedback of my assessment. The feedback outlined what I did well and what could have been improved and I was very pleased to have received this because usually I would just receive an email stating that I was just not selected so I appreciated them providing this for transparency. If I had been chosen to move forward, the next round would have been a web interview with the group. This interview would have consisted of more technical and cultural fit questions along with a case study. After that, they would discuss on whether to provide an offer or not. Although I did not make it through the process, I appreciated that they kept me informed and provided feedback; it made me feel valued as a candidate which probably mirrors how they treat their employees. I would definitely keep an eye out on their career page for future opportunities.

Interview Questions
  • Common HR questions. What other technical skills would you like for me to note?
Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Health Catalyst (Cleveland, OH) in Oct 2019

Interview

The entire interview process was remote for me. A service-specific internal recruiter connects with you by phone to make sure you're a good fit generally and understand the job posting. Then there is a technical assignment which at the time of my hiring was entirely SQL. The prompts are similar to what you might find at HackerRank or another interview/coding question website. The answer entry is free text and graded by a human. If you pass the SQL portion, a face to face is scheduled (which was remote by webcam for me). The face to face consisted of two types of interview, a client interaction roleplay and an analytics planning/whiteboard/strategy sort of discussion. The length was about two hours.

Interview Questions
  • I do not want to speak to particular interview questions
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT
Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Health Catalyst (Salt Lake City, UT) in Sep 2019

Interview

The first step was an interview with HR personnel. The next step was a coding assessment. The only feedback that I received was that I scored too low. I asked for detailed feedback, but there was no response to my request. The company is very impressive with great compensation packages. However, the developer assessment is a bit flawed. You can find example code on Github dating years back. I suggest updating the assessment and have different tests for the particular job in question. I had to learn Angular and Entity Framework for the assessment when those technologies were not in the job spec or mentioned in the initial phone call.

Interview Questions
Share on TwitterShare on WhatsAppShare via Email
Anonymous Interview Candidate in United States
Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Health Catalyst (United States) in Jul 2019

Interview

Applied through indeed. Received a mail from HR to answer 2 general questions based on experience. Then received a coding assignment the following week. It was a simple classification problem. Had a telephonic interview with the hiring manager next week. It was basically experience-based and based on the previous coding round. Next step, a team video interview with about 6 other team members. Pretty much general questions with some basic technical questions. The video stream was not great as they had a technical glitch and I often had no idea who I was talking to or where the voice was coming from! But overall, a good experience and a great company with a great mission!

Interview Questions
  • If you were to post a job description for your mentor, how would it look?
Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Health Catalyst (New York, NY) in Jun 2019

Interview

SQL Assessment . I did not get final call ,I took interview little casually. I would have given better had they provided me actual SSMS platform or used a code editor to test. They gave good SQL feedback assessment : Candidate added a lot of unnecessary complexity to the exam. On the ERD in the Employee table EmployeeID is listed as the primary key. The candidate should have realized this indicated a unique value in the table that would make it unnecessary to sum vacation hours and select from a subquery in question one. In question two the candidate used a union although the question specified to right one query that returns two rows. In question three there was also considerable over complication which would ultimately cause the query not to run. The candidate summed vacation hours here as well and has several other non aggregated fields in the select but only grouped by EmployeeID. There also appears to be an closing parenthesis aliased as a with no opening parenthesis that looks like it was supposed to be part of a subquery. It seems the candidate has a decent grasp of SQL syntax but maybe less of a grasp on data modeling. Candidate did a good job of capturing the requirements. The only thing that was missed was the filter for a HOME address in question 3 which is a common oversight. Candidate did a great job documenting code with the exception of probably the most important assumption which was the values in the Gender field. Although the assumption was incorrect in question three given the ERD that there could be multiple address records for an Employee, it was good to see the assumption documented to explain the use of the window function to find the last modified date. Formatting was ok in some areas but wasn't particularly consistent. Some SQL keywords had the first letter capitalized while others where completely lowercase, some aliased columns had underscores between words others didn't.

Interview Questions
Share on TwitterShare on WhatsAppShare via Email
Viewing 1 - 10 of 70