Health Catalyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Health Catalyst Interview Questions

Interviews at Health Catalyst

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Health Catalyst (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

A "do at home" assignment that takes at least several hours. I don't agree with take home test, because

This is can be a huge waste of time. You are investing all your time and the company is investing none.
    I have heard several people apply to this not even have their projects reviewed.

My advice to other programmers: DON'T DO INTERVIEWS LIKE THIS FOR FREE! Your time is too valuable to donate to some company. You are taking all the risk and the company is taking none.

Ask for compensation. If they are not willing to compensate you for your time - think about why that is.

My serious advice - interview elsewhere. Unless you are sure you can get this job - you may spend a lot of time interviewing for a job that may be lined up for somebody else.

Anonymous Employee in Cottonwood Heights, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Health Catalyst (Cottonwood Heights, UT) in September 2017.

Interview

The interview process was extremely slow and communication about the process was poor throughout. I was never told how long I would have to wait between interviews or how many interviews there would be (there were at least 2 more interviews than I expected).

The interviewers themselves were great, and answered all of my questions honestly (even when the answers didn't cast the company in a good light). The technical interview was entirely reasonable and was conducted remotely.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a strong disagreement with another developer?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Health Catalyst (Salt Lake City, UT) in May 2016.

Interview

They sent a take home assessment to be completed in a week specifically in ASP.NET although I have no ASP.NET experience in my resume. I learnt ASP.NET and try very hard to complete the assessment test and finished and submitted it on time. They replied after a week that I wasn't selected. When I asked for a feedback on my assessment test they told me that due to an overwhelming response to the position, they didn't even grade my solution.

Interview Questions

• Create a web application for searching people with their First and Last Name in ASP.NET MVC.   Answer Question

Health Catalyst Response

Jun 10, 2016 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for taking the time to interview with us and to do the take home assessment. We understand this can take a lot of time – especially if you don’t already have ASP.NET or WPF experience... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Health Catalyst (Salt Lake City, UT) in February 2016.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me and had me do a coding assignment. After a week or two I received an invitation for an on-site interview. They had about four or so interviews with a pair of developers. Each interview had one coding question. They really care a lot about design patterns. They asked questions about how to make code more testable using design patterns. Write SQL queries that involved joins. Everyone was very nice and it seems like a good company.

SQL Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Health Catalyst in September 2018.

Interview

Brief back and forth with a recruiter and then a take home short coding test was given.

I was given the coding test and completed with high confidence. After they received it I was not able to talk through any of the answers or how I solved them. I was told I did not do them correctly based on requirements and there were some things that I missed.

Not the best experience considering I was never able to talk to or explain my thinking on any of the questions that I answered. From my standpoint it was easy sql that didn't take me long to complete so where I missed is a mystery.

Analytics Engineer Interview

Interview

They really seem to only care about your SQL skills. Every interview had questions about it, along with a specific SQL take home test. The job description makes it seem like the position is much more than just SQL, but the interview makes it seem like all you will be is a SQL analyst.

Interview Questions

• What SQL function will you use to see if and when a specific diagnosis was recorded for a patient?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Health Catalyst (Salt Lake City, UT) in July 2018.

Interview

I was very impressed with the HR rep, very unimpressed with their skills evaluation.

They do the interview process in stages. They have an HR rep call you for about 30 minutes, then they send a SQL evaluation test. There isn't a compiler for the code, it's just in a web form. If you pass that test, they will bring you in to meet the team and interview for 2-3 hours. I had a great interview with the HR rep and explained my current work experience. It matched the job description perfectly. I mentioned I wasn't really good at SQL but I'm good at picking up new skills and have coding experience. He said that wouldn't be a problem. I was very impressed with his communication skills and was looking forward to the next interviews. I didn't do as well on the SQL test as I hoped, and I didn't get a chance to come in for an in-person interview. They only care about SQL skills when hiring for this position.

I have a ton of experience doing advanced analytics, predictive modeling, data consulting, ETL, etc, but didn't even get a chance to talk to anyone about that. Once they saw I wasn't a SQL expert, I was rejected.

Interview Questions

• Name an example of a time you've used analytics to solve a problem (something along those lines)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Health Catalyst (Salt Lake City, UT) in September 2018.

Interview

I had a three part interview. First Part was a phone call with the recruiter. Second part was an online technical evaluation. Third part was an in person interview at the corporate office.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about one thing a co-worker might do that would irritate you and how would you address/handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Health Catalyst (Salt Lake City, UT) in March 2018.

Interview

Great process with logical steps of increasing skills scrutiny. All team members were polite, professional, and humble during the process and my recruiter provided ample, transparent communication through the entire process.

Everything felt very cohesive despite many team members being involved overall, which impressed me!

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when giving feedback went well and a time when giving feedback did not go well.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Health Catalyst (Salt Lake City, UT) in February 2019.

Interview

First round was HR followed by technical assessment followed by in person interview.
    the technical assessment was a SQL test. A physical diagram was provided and was asked to create queries for certain questions. In 1:1, was given a business use case and was asked to form a provide an ERD and a query that involved inner joins on three database tables.