Health Catalyst Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.7

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • I expect anyone unaccustomed to that rapid type of change would not be very happy at Health Catalyst (in 28 reviews)

• Work/life balance was awful on certain teams - very dependent upon manager (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best job I've had in 30+ years in my field"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellingham, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellingham, WA

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company just does everything right.

They hire very carefully for a great fit. The three attributes they look for are Smart, Hard-working, and Humble (with Humble being the most important). As a result of this philosophy, Health Catalyst is brimming with extremely talented employees who are also a joy to work with.

Health Catalyst is amazingly transparent with its employees. We have regular company-wide meetings where details of the company's strengths, weaknesses, successes, and concerns are all shared openly. Anyone in the company can ask any question directly to our CEO about literally anything without any concern of reprisal, which speaks to the company culture as well as the openness and integrity of our C-level leadership.

This company TRULY has a mission that goes beyond profits and the bottom line. The most important thing to all of us is to transform healthcare in a positive way. We have to stay in business to do that, and we plan to build a great firm in the process, but we truly measure our success by the outcomes improvement we bring to our clients and their patients.

We are not micromanaged. Health Catalyst's philosophy is to hire excellent people and then stand back and let them innovate and do great work. It's very empowering.

The company cares about work/life balance. While we all work hard, the company is very concerned with team members maintaining a positive work/life balance.

The salaries and benefits offered by Health Catalyst are generous and inline with the company culture as a whole. They appreciate their carefully-selected workforce and want very much to take care of us in a responsible, but overall generous way.

Cons

None...as I said it's the best job I've ever had.

Advice to Management

Just keep doing what you're doing.

Dec 27, 2017 – CEO

Your comments are so generous and encouraging. I am very glad to hear that your experience has been consistent with what we as a leadership team hope is the experience of every team member, every... More

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Data Architect in South Salt Lake, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Data Architect in South Salt Lake, UT

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible, Fun and Friendly atmosphere. Work/Life balance atmosphere, where the company really cares about you and your life.

Cons

No real cons, but could improve on some of the specifics for each position and career paths.

Feb 8, 2018 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback. I'm glad your experience has been positive, and agree with your observation that we can improve in clarifying what is expected, by position, and how that develops over... More

"Amazing benefits at a well-managed company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

100% remote work friendly! The benefits package is huge. Humble and friendly environment. Surprisingly transparent management. Good pace of work, not a lot of evenings or weekends in my department.

Cons

Some teams are really bureaucratic, lots of time wasted on long meetings and bikeshedding.

Advice to Management

The best-of-class benefits package attracts the best and keeps the best. Be very careful about reducing benefits as the company grows.

Jan 25, 2018 – CEO

Thanks very much for sharing your thoughts. I'm glad to hear that your remote work experience has been positive. I appreciate the flexibility to work from home as part of my job experience--many... More

4. "Remains the Best Company I've Worked For"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The positives of working here are, but not limited to:
    - great leadership (the executive leadership team truly cares about team members)
    - amazing benefits
    - career growth opportunities
    - ability to work from home
    - provided everything needed to do my job well
    - no micro-management (at least from my perspective)
    - great (for the most part humble) team members

Cons

These aren't really cons, but things we need to continue to work toward:
    - continue to tighten spending so we can become completely cash flow positive
    - continue to work with or remove team members who seem to take advantage of (abuse) all of the great benefits that are offered
    - continue to replace team members who don't stand up to our company attributes and values of being smart, hardworking, and humble (as well as team-oriented)

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you're doing.

Jan 30, 2018 – CEO

Thanks very much for your review and for your positive comments. I'm glad to hear your experience has been good over the past three-plus years. We're definitely continuing the focus on building to... More

"Still don't understand the hype"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Health Catalyst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good location, product felt important and had admirable goals, decent pay

Cons

Weird vibe - co-workers seemed to think it was the best place ever but key teams were highly dysfunctional. Quiet environment. Boring. No experimentation -- just do what had already been proven to work, sort of. Felt like you were getting nowhere most of the time but maybe that was because I had a boss who wouldn't let his team do their jobs (he liked to do everything for them because obviously his team was incompetent). Work/life balance was awful on certain teams - very dependent upon manager. Unsure how they continue to get awards for "best places to work" -- other employers must be even more awful in Utah.

Advice to Management

Try something different, encourage new voices to speak up (altho i've been gone for a while so maybe things have changed). Innovate.

Jan 31, 2018 – CEO

Thanks for sharing your perspective, and I'm sorry to hear that your experience while at Health Catalyst included elements that are not consistent with who we strive to be. We continue to work on... More

6. "Growing Pains, but great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management is very open and it is helpful, especially when the company is going through so many growing pains and reorganizations.

The benefits are great, the PTO and Holiday schedules are very generous.

Great work life balance.

Dan is a great CEO. He not only knows my name, but can remember my wife and daughter's names as well. I did start when it was a smaller company, that might be a contribution to why that would be.

There is a great culture at Health Catalyst.

Working on their products really helps give meaning to my job. I feel that the products we provide to our clients will change the outcomes of patients and help make everyone better off.

My experience has been that the managers are looking out for you and allow you to grow into positions that you would like to move into. Health Catalyst provides tools to help you learn along the way as well.

Cons

There are a lot of changes being made right now. Hopefully, everything will settle down once the company becomes more stable (I hope that is soon).

Some people seem to forget how great the benefits actually are. It seems they either have not worked anywhere else or choose to forget the prior places they worked.

It seems that every year Health Catalyst is pushing to the very last minute to hit their goals. This may be every company as I have never been at a company that shares as much as Health Catalyst does, but this seems to make certain timeframes more stressful at work trying to hit the goals (which sometimes seem to be really stretch goals).

The culture seems to hire very similar people. This makes it hard to get much diversity in teams. I think more diversity would helping pushing the products to be what they need to be for the company to really succeed.

Advice to Management

I appreciate the openness and providing team members with the tools needed to succeed in work and life in general. My advice to management would be to keep up the great work and don't lose sight of what is important to everyone working with Health Catalyst as the company grows. We have seen some benefits go away in my time, but we do still have many of them, which helps keep morale high.

Feb 8, 2018 – CEO

Thank you for your thoughtful, detailed review, and for your contributions to our company's success over the past several years. I'm so glad I was able to remember your wife's name and your... More

7. "Great company, feel very fortunate to be here"

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

2 1/2 years into, I have no regrets about joining the company. We deliver legitimate results for our clients. Working conditions are top notch along with salary and benefits.

Cons

There seems to be a fairly high number of people who have never worked anywhere else or who have forgotten what other companies are like and do not fully appreciate the many benefits the company provides. There is a growing level of entitlement that concerns me. The company provides more than ample time off and yet that doesn't seem to be enough for some and when they're out of the office, forget about trying to reach them. Our bonus plan is supposed to facilitate an all for one mentality and when people disappear during critical moments with no consequences, it clearly erodes that sentiment.

Advice to Management

For the most part, keep doing what you're doing. I feel like we're slipping towards a place where 20% of the staff work REALLY hard and the rest are just punching a timeclock, waiting for their next paycheck and a few extra days of PTO.

Dec 27, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for sharing your thoughts in this review. We as a leadership team have discussed the topic of how we avoid an entitlement mentality on multiple occasions. It is part of the downside of... More

"Growing, hectic, poor communication between teams, awesome "C" level leadership"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The CEO is caring, conscientious, and humble. The senior leadership team cares about making a difference and being a best place to work (at least they talk about it *all the time*).

They allow people to work from home.

They have snacks.

Everyone seems to care (people are kind to one another).

After typing out all the cons, in the end, I suppose most every company struggles with things... the cons can be frustrating, but in the end, I think a big plus is that most everyone at HC has been super nice and supportive (even if we still don't know our responsibilities), and to me, that makes a big difference (yes, we have grumpy people too, but there aren't too many that I've found).

Cons

Poor understanding of roles/responsibilities of departments/teams, even after they did a reorg 6 months ago.

The software the company produces is challenging to use (it does many neat things, but troubleshooting issues is a pain.).

You can work crazy hard and regardless of how hard you work it doesn't feel like it matters for your bonus because bonuses are given out to everyone equally (bonuses are based on company goals. If the company doesn't meet its goals, you don't get a big of a bonus regardless of your contributions).

It seems that there aren't seasoned people in middle management positions and/or the senior leadership doesn't get involved at lower levels of the company.

It just feels like things are really hectic, there aren't clear ways of doing things (there are multiple document systems, multiple ticket tracking systems, multiple communication platforms). None of the systems really talk to each other.

Senior leadership tried to introduce a new communication/documentation system awhile ago in (what seemed) like an effort to consolidate. Now we have yet another communication system. At the team/department level it feels like we are acting like a small company still and that doesn't scale well. There may be efforts to transition to acting like a larger organization, but if those efforts exist they aren't well known.

Advice to Management

I've had some really awesome managers over the course of my career. Zero of them have been at Health Catalyst (I've had a few managers here with the reorgs).

I'd like that to change, but I feel like manager training needs to come from the top down, not bottom up.

Dec 27, 2017 – CEO

Thanks very much for your review. I've read and reread it a couple times to try to ensure that I internalize this feedback. First, I appreciate your positive comments about the company, and I'm... More

9. "Great place to work, amazing team from the top down"

Current Employee - Technical Program Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Technical Program Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Executive leadership, department, team, benefits, work from home, personal development, mission, and all the people

Cons

There's a lot of work to be done, but a lot of support to get it done.

Advice to Management

As the company grows, don't lose this culture you have created. Keep it real.

Dec 27, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for your comments and for your encouraging words. I feel like every single day we as a leadership team need to be working to reinforce and strengthen our commitment to mission, operating... More

"Good company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are second to none, compensation is generous. Mission driven company and leaders at all levels of the company care about their employees. This company does good work.

Cons

-Generous PTO & holidays are diminished by unspoken/unclear expectations to work on holidays in Minneapolis office.
    -People don't get fired. This ends up costing a lot of resources and frustration to develop people who are lazy or not the right fit.

Advice to Management

The transparent communication is very nice and makes me feel respected as a team member. However, it would save some anxiety and confusion if messages were more finalized before sharing with the entire company. I also think it would make more sense if leaders (I am not one) were more informed of news before team members so my leaders could answer questions after all team member meetings.

Dec 27, 2017 – CEO

I appreciate your comments and observations. And I acknowledge the challenge for the Minneapolis team members working in APR who have the difficulty of needing to try to align with both Health... More