Health Catalyst Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
Health Catalyst CEO Dan Burton
Dan Burton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance (family is important" (in 41 reviews)

• "There are lots of good things to share about Health Catalyst (HC), see some "pros" below" (in 66 reviews)

Cons
  • "It seems that every year Health Catalyst is pushing to the very last minute to hit their goals" (in 28 reviews)

• "While work/life balance is something that the company values, it is hard to see it in practice" (in 12 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Culture, Culture, Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Salt Lake, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Salt Lake, UT

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing compensation and benefits...but they pale in comparison to the chance to work hard with smart, humble people who want to transform healthcare. This company is serious about erring in favor of the team member...and it shows by the low turnover and high engagement.

Cons

Growth and people always bring challenges. If you are not comfortable with your role changing and ambiguity at times, you will struggle at Health Catalyst.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on the people and success will continue to follow. It has proven itself already and will certainly continue.

Health Catalyst Response

Aug 8, 2018 – CEO

Thank you for sharing this feedback and for these encouraging words. Thank you also for your contributions to the company during the past 3+ years. We will work hard to keep the team member... More

2. "My spouse wants me to work here forever (and I just might)"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Truly unlimited PTO and 3-month parental leave
    Transparency from the management team
    Great compensation with visibility into decision-making criteria (how to become more valuable)
    Company actually trusts team members to do the right thing

Cons

Hard to gain healthcare knowledge as a member of the technology organization within the company without prior healthcare industry experience

Advice to Management

Continue to reinforce Health Catalyst's operating principles

"Visionary Company"

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time

Pros

This company is positioned to do great things for the healthcare industry. The mission is real and the company leadership seems committed to fulfilling that mission. There are among the best colleagues I have ever worked with at all levels in the organization.

Cons

There are a small number of questionable senior leaders in the company that can tend to drag the culture down.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in fundamentals - good people and good technology.

"Fantastic place to work."

Current Employee - Analytics Engineer in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Analytics Engineer in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits for and integration efforts aimed at remote employees. It's a mission-driven company that cares about its clients and its employees. Leadership is very transparent. Salary and benefits are very competitive. I don't think I could find a better company to work for.

Cons

Sometimes it feels like there is some misalignment or friction between the Analytics Services group and the Product Development group.

Advice to Management

Some of the Analytics Accelerator apps could be simplified. If the intended user is an analyst, they are great. If the intended user is someone without a strong skill set in data analysis, some of these apps are seen as too busy or overwhelming because there is too much in them (both in terms of charts and tables and in number of fields and ways of slicing and dicing). These apps could be simplified and more focused to guide towards outcomes measurement and improvement and not analysis paralysis.

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Analytics Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Analytics Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work. We do meaningful work and the corporate culture is positive and professional. I believe I am paid fairly and really appreciate my direct manager. I've worked here for almost 4 years and hope to continue for many more years.

Cons

We have 2 ELs at the location I work at. I wish I and my colleagues could provide constructive feedback for them (they are not direct manager, but one level up). There are areas in which there are disconnects between the way they communicate and how it is received; however, there isn't currently a way to provide feedback for a leader "2 steps up".

Advice to Management

I think a yearly team building day of going through what is going well, challenges, and ideas would be helpful and strengthen our team.

"Always improving, keep up the good work."

Current Employee - Analytics Engineer in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Analytics Engineer in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love working from home and I also like traveling. The work is challenging and I feel like we are making an impact in the healthcare industry. I feel very valued as an employee without exception.

Cons

I think with a workforce so spread out, and assigned to various clients, it is somewhat unavoidable that the team member experience will be inconsistent. I consider myself lucky so far but I'm always nervous when my assignment might be getting changed.

Advice to Management

Be careful not to overdo it when it comes to the "female team member experience." I believe in giving men and women equal opportunity but there is a real risk of taking it too far if your expectation is that there will be equal outcomes. As a female employee myself, I like to think that my salary, position, etc, are a result of my hard work and my advocacy for myself - NOT because of efforts made on my behalf to enable females to succeed. I also don't want the slightest appearance that I am getting special treatment because of my gender. I think there are certain changes being made that are great - such as not taking salary history into account when people are first hired. That will definitely help women who have experienced unfair treatment in the past, but it's not necessarily going to level the field automatically. Women will still have to take ownership of their own career and I think that is the most important thing.

"Amazing Company to Work For"

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been with Health Catalyst for almost 2 months and it truly is the most amazing company I have worked for in my 20+ year career. They encourage every single employee to feel that they are an equal owner in the company. The interview process can take a while, but they really take their time hiring the right people from a culture standpoint. The qualities they look for are smart, hard-working and humble. Compensation and bonus program is generous. The benefits are unmatched, my opinions and I ideas are always received and responded to, and I have yet to come across a fellow employee who is anything but kind and respectful. They truly believe family is #1 and encourage everyone to have that balance. It's not just something they put on their website. I really feel I hit the jackpot. This really is the most amazing company I have ever worked for.

Cons

Lots of meetings - some not as productive as others. This con can also be a pro, as these meetings really do help bring remote employees together often through the day - which is so valuable. So - I'll check back in a year with any "real" cons.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and how you value all your employees. Don't lose touch of that as we grow from 700 to 8,000 employees :)

"Happy to go to work - every day"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People - I'm amazed at the quality of coworkers I have. My team has a wide variety of perspectives and backgrounds but we enjoy working and playing together.

Manager - I've had two managers in my life that I really admire and enjoyed working with. I'm currently working with the second of those two individuals. Makes it great to come to work to know my manager is smart, hardworking, trusts me and encourages a good work/life balance.

Company - develops products and services that make a DIFFERENCE. I enjoy talking to anyone who will listen about how HealthCatalyst helps to save lives and improve healthcare.

Culture - Management leads by example, encourages constant improvement in our workflact and promotes focus on client outcomes. I get the feeling that upper- and mid-management really care about the employees here.

Cons

Disjointed? - The size and variety of teams can lead to siloing and a feeling that we don't know what the "big picture" is. I came from a really great (but small) company and it is harder here to reach out and get to know and understand what other people are doing.

Rushed - Sometimes it seems like a product being developed is delivered without "ease of use" enhancements or having all the features that would really make it shine. This was my experience with my last employer, so it may be a common symptom in software development.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring awesome people! However you are finding them, I've been impressed by all hires and interns. Sometimes I wonder how I made the cut and got hired. I feel pretty lucky! I see myself staying at Health Catalyst for as long as you'll have me.

I'd love to see efforts to try and cross-train or encourage teams to reach out to others that they don't normally communicate with. Maybe some activities when people from different teams are tasked to work together for an hour or two?

"In the tech side of the organization, It's a lot like being around family... both pros and cons."

Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone is friendly, smart, and hard working. Sometimes people can be transparent to what in other companies might normally be considered a fault. I haven't met anyone yet who I've questioned "Why was this person hired?". Smart, hard work is appreciated over "doing the hours", and providing something concrete and useful is appreciated over providing your weekly TPS reports. Speaking of which, if something is useless, it gets cut very quickly. I've never seen an organization that self evaluates and trims things as effectively as my current team.

Cons

Just like being in a family, sometimes mom and dad can't agree on what the family should be doing. This isn't usually a huge problem, but it frequently means the 'kids' are overridden when it comes to prioritizing 'fixing annoying bugs' over 'Providing more, new content'

Advice to Management

Focus a bit more on customer experience for a while, over getting the new shiny thing. We all want the new shiny thing, but if it's integrated into something that crashes every 15 minutes, nobody wants the thing that the shiny new thing is attached to.

"One Year In"

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time

Pros

Having had the opportunity to work for an array of different companies in this space, there is much about Catalyst which is head and shoulders above the majority of companies out there. The mission and how this mission is the basis for all goal setting established under it is always consistent. Wonderful! Quality of people, transparency, communication, desire to continuously improve are all evident in most of my daily interactions. Of course we are all human and there are variations on this theme here and there, but my overall experience has been wonderful and trusting.

Cons

the strength of the culture at times allows certain folks to take advantage. For instance the vacation policy is easily taken advantage of by a few individuals not closely managed and this directly and indirectly impacts my function. Also at times the culture seems to lead to a lack in a sense of urgency, particularly with regard to internal follow up and clarity on questions raised from those remotely located.

Advice to Management

stay the course, be wise not to assume those with considerable time in rank might actually require more of a regular sharpening of the sword in terms of operating principles. There have been a few instances where attitude from that immediate 2nd level from the top and also at the VP level has been inconsistent with what is regularly shared by the majority of the organization. It is not pervasive but it to allow this could become problematic. Overall, in comparison to my other experiences, this is far less of an issue.