Health Catalyst Reviews | Glassdoor

4.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Health Catalyst CEO Dan Burton
Dan Burton

Pros
  • Management is highly invested in employees and in ensuring a work-life balance (in 33 reviews)

• Definite sense that management wants to make Health Catalyst a great place to work (in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • There are some downsides to working at Health Catalyst (in 24 reviews)

• Work-life balance varies greatly between teams (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Mission-Driven and Team-Member Focused"

Current Employee - Team Member in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Team Member in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Health Catalyst has a soul. The company exists to be an enabler of massive outcomes improvement in healthcare. That is a mission worth contributing to every single day. The leadership team has focused on creating a best place to work for all team members, and consistently demonstrates this commitment through their actions. Two months ago after the leadership team reviewed our semi-annual Gallup team member engagement survey results (the company uses Gallup to survey team members, and every people manager's bonus is tied to maintaining industry-leading engagement--and the company consistently scores in the 98th or 99th percentile) they highlighted a pattern of feedback from team members about the remote team member experience. So they held a small-group discussion where they invited anyone at the company who would like to attend to come and talk about what's working and not working for remote team members. Within two weeks they introduced new policies addressing and improving a few of the more significant challenges. They have followed this same process dozens of times, making many changes that improved the team member experience.

Cons

The leadership team has chosen to follow a consensus-oriented decision making approach for company-wide, strategic decisions. The upside of this approach is that the leadership team rarely makes a bad decision. But the downside is that they take longer than some management teams to come to a decision. As the company scales, I believe the decision making approach will need to evolve towards more delegated decision making and trust towards the functional leads to make the right calls.

Also, a strength at Health Catalyst is that we feel like a family--team members feel that the leadership genuinely cares about them, and there is a stated policy to give team members who have had a performance problem a second chance. This produces some incredible turnaround successes and deep loyalty and commitment. It's probably one of the reasons the voluntary turnover rate is so low (3-4% per year). However, there is downside to this approach--sometimes the performance issues don't get corrected, and it takes longer to resolve these performance problems. I think the company can evolve this approach to move through the second-chance process more rapidly and then rely on offering a generous severance package when the second chance didn't work, but move more quickly.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on scaling outcomes improvement, including a low-touch model where the right data in the right hands at a client leads to improvements, without a heavy, long process. Also, keep the focus on creating and maintaining a 'best place to work' by working every day to continuously improve the experience. Your efforts are appreciated and they are making a positive difference!

Mar 24, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for your thoughtful review, and I agree with several of the common threads that exist within your post. Health Catalyst does indeed have a soul. It is the sum of our collective decisions ... More

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Vice President in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Vice President in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people who want to do the right thing and care about people. That makes all the difference. Great benefits

Cons

Startup challenges - product management is learning a lot and that causes some whiplash on what to work on. Professional Services is learning on the job how to run a consulting business which is also not easy. But the pros far outweigh the cons

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to say I don't know and be self-aware of weaknesses

Mar 31, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thank you very much for your review. I agree with the principle issues that you describe in your cons section, and totally agree with the characterization that these are indicative of a company ... More

"Incredible place to grow"

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Kind, intelligent, social people
    Challenging work
    Well-defined strong culture
    Management is highly invested in employees and in ensuring a work-life balance
    Mistakes are viewed as learning opportunities
    Employees are competitive with themselves instead of with others
    HC is actively working on training modules for all employees

Cons

Really can't think of any downsides

Advice to Management

Management is doing a stellar job. Thank you for investing in your employees and clients

Mar 20, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for your review! We will continue to do our best!

"It Just Keeps Getting Better Here"

Current Employee - Senior Editor in Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Editor in Eugene, OR

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management recently held a forum for remote workers to hear our thoughts and concerns about what it's like to work offsite. Within 30 days of that forum, a new policy was rolled out to allow generous reimbursement for home office expenses, like furniture and equipment. This is true democracy at work and just one more example of the respect that Health Catalyst shows all its team members. By the way, we're all referred to as owners, never as employees. That's just plain cool.

Cons

I've been trying to come up with something to put here for the past two years. Let's see...the home office in Salt Lake City is at an elevation of 4700 feet, which takes some getting used to for us lowland dwellers who come to visit once a month. But don't change this on my account.

Advice to Management

Keep leading with your excitement and enthusiasm toward the bright future for this company.

Mar 20, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Agree with your perspective, in that it requires respect to earn respect-- our success as a company is based upon every single team member treating one another with respect. Calling one another ... More

"My friends are jealous that I work here!"

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, Flexibility, Culture, Trust, and Environment

Cons

I haven't found any yet. Maybe not enough protein in the snack fridge?

Advice to Management

The company is very transparent, and you feel that you are part of the team. All of the team members contribute to the success of the company and as a result everybody is happy. I like the great environment I work in, and how there is always so many perks that keep work and social balance at its peak. (Because it is located in the Rocky Mountains, maybe?)

Mar 9, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for your review, and we agree that managements role, in large part, is to build an environment of trust and safety, hire great people that make the company their own, and then turn them ... More

"Customer and Employee-centric organization"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company has an open approach to engaging customers to achieve better outcomes. They want to be a true partner and they want their employees to feel the same way.

Cons

The detailed tracking of hours is a little distracting and difficult to get right. It reminds me of how lawyers have to track and bill their time which can be very difficult. It is understood that some of this information will be useful for planning company's financial statements.

Advice to Management

Attention to tracking and informing employee's accountability for the company's generous benefits will be important to make sure we know how we are doing in all area, particularly where we should improve.

Mar 9, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Agreed on all fronts, and we recently made some adjustments/improvements to our system for time tracking, which hopefully will help. Also working on some additional metrics for tracking some of the ... More

"Awesome place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Data Architect in Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Current Employee - Senior Data Architect in Coeur d'Alene, ID

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Company is genuinely committed to finding/promoting three attributes in their employees--smart, hard-working, and humble. It is in the org from the top down. Very generous--extremely generous--benefits package and competitive salary. They say their goal is to be the last employer their employees will ever have and they are committed to that. I have already encouraged some friends to apply and will be for others as well. Great company!

Cons

Nothing to add here, but need five words.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work--we are all building a great company together. Thank you!

Mar 9, 2017 – Chief People Officer

I agree we are building a great company together. So excited to be a part of this with each of you here. Thanks for all that you do!

"Fantastic place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people and product. Company lives by its motto of only hiring people who are smart, hardworking, and humble. First place I've worked where employees are genuinely proud of the products and services they provide.

By far the best benefits out of anywhere I've worked, Unlimited PTO, 401k match, HSA matching, stock options, on-site gym, paid paternity/maternity leave, work from home, free snacks, cellphone & home internet reimbursement. Definite sense that management wants to make Health Catalyst a great place to work.

Amazing work/life balance. Everyone I interact with seems genuinely happy. Company encourages people to utilize the unlimited PTO policy as needed in order to avoid burnout. Overwhelming sense that family and personal life should come before work.

Cons

All employees are required to manually track their hours regardless of their role within the company. This applies to both hourly and salaried employees. Depending on your duties, this can be a confusing and often frustrating process since many daily tasks are difficult to categorize. Management seems to be aware of this however and is making an effort to improve.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! Don't lose sight of what made Health Catalyst what it is today.

Mar 1, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for taking the time to write a review! We appreciate the feedback, and the thoughtful comments. We are working on hours tracking, and have made some recent improvements, which hopefully you ... More

"A dream come true"

Current Employee - Data Architect in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at Health Catalyst is a dream come true. One of the best things is the transparency of the leadership. Going to All-Team Meetings is awesome. You come out of those meetings feeling energized about the mission and efforts of the company, and that you have a big picture view of all the great things going on.

Another awesome thing is the generosity of the company. When someone treats you fairly, or more than fairly, you stop worrying about if you're being treated fairly and you focus on being an engaged teammember. That is the case at Health Catalyst. They don't have to make every employee an owner by giving us all stock options but they do. They don't have to give us all an extra $1,000 bonus in our HSA every January but they do. They didn't have to set our default yearly raise well above inflation at 5% but they did. They don't have to start special matching fundraisers for the families of deceased teammates, but they do. It's things like this that make you know that Health Catalyst puts their money where their mouth is.

Last I checked there are about 22 days of company holiday - the entire office closes & you get this time off regardless of what other PTO you might take. Oh yeah, don't forget about the very generous & ownership-oriented unlimited PTO & maternity/paternity leave policies.

Of course, generous compensation & benefits (hygene factors) are only part of the story. Other companies *cough* Goldman Sachs *cough* are also really generous with their employees in compensation, but they work them to the bone. Generous compensation can't compensate for poor quality of life. At Health Catalyst, it's a marathon, not a sprint. Family is paramount. Travel is kept at a minimum. It is understood that sometimes we will need to spike our work effort to achieve a goal, but the spike is followed by a compensatory rest period. Most people I know don't work much over 40-45 hours/week.

All this is great, but what about the people? I have found that the people you work with (the culture of the group) is what largely determines your day-to-day enjoyment and working interactions. I've found almost everyone to be very approachable and great to work with. The culture is upbeat, positive, fun and friendly. In fact, there is a huge cultural emphasis on humility. That is such a breath of fresh air. It's not a college frat-house party. Health Catalyst doesn't try too hard to be cool (that's the vibe I get from a lot of the other notable Utah startups).

In conclusion: the mission of the company, the culture, the compensation and benefits. I didn't really talk about this, but the work itself is great too! There is a lot of need to improve and a wealth of opportunities within the company to improve your skills, learn new things and do great work that makes a real life-saving difference for thousands of people.

PS - the fitness classes and on-premise gym make such a difference in my day. I can take an hour or so out of the day to go to a class, workout, or play frisbee with fellow teammates and it really boosts my mood and productivity (and saves me from the 2 pm mid-afternoon slump (but there is a nap room if you get tired!)).

Cons

In the Pros I said that I found *almost* everyone to be great to work with. I did have a not-so-great experience working with one person. However, that turned into a good learning/improvement opportunity.

Most of us acknowledge that our "Cons" are really, really minor first world problems. Not everyone has a standing desk. The fourth floor lacks enough natural sunlight in some areas. The $10,000/year tuition reimbursement benefit can't yet be applied to online certifications & training (at this stage, most employees aren't trying to get another master's degree; we just want to keep learning new skills, which is cheaper & quicker to do online).

Advice to Management

Thank you for all that you do and please keep doing what you are doing. Please keep being so trustworthy & genuine. Please keep inspiring us and raising our sights. Please keep doing what is in the long-term best interests of Health Catalyst and US Healthcare. If possible, please add online training to the tuition reimbursement.

Feb 25, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thank you very much for your sincere, heart-felt review. We appreciate the comments and perspective as you describe (accurately, I think) what it is like to work here at Health Catalyst. And, as ... More

"Generally Favorable"

Current Employee - Senior Data Architect in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Data Architect in Remote, OR

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plus: Company growth, diverse clients with varying needs = good project variety, employee stock options, fantastic CEO, salary. Culture of humility, transparency and hard work.

Cons

Minus: 'Meh' health benefits though this is probably just a sign of the times, lack of consistent work. Cycles of lengthy downtime (1 week or more) followed by 12 + hours day. Tech training and team building but only for those in Salt Lake (glance at calendars and see what I mean). In general, non mandatory training is self guided and on personal time and not offered or facilitated by the organization.

Advice to Management

engage remote employees particularly with team building activities and job skills training (e.g. tech training, cultural training, leadership training). Also consider sharing resources across multiple clients especially during downtime periods.

Jan 30, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for your review, completely agree with your advice around additional training around job skills. Look for a survey coming out in a few weeks on this topic, as we plan additional training ... More