Health Catalyst Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.5

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "I expect anyone unaccustomed to that rapid type of change would not be very happy at Health Catalyst" (in 29 reviews)

• "Work/life balance was awful on certain teams - very dependent upon manager" (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best job I've had in 30+ years in my field"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellingham, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellingham, WA

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company just does everything right.

They hire very carefully for a great fit. The three attributes they look for are Smart, Hard-working, and Humble (with Humble being the most important). As a result of this philosophy, Health Catalyst is brimming with extremely talented employees who are also a joy to work with.

Health Catalyst is amazingly transparent with its employees. We have regular company-wide meetings where details of the company's strengths, weaknesses, successes, and concerns are all shared openly. Anyone in the company can ask any question directly to our CEO about literally anything without any concern of reprisal, which speaks to the company culture as well as the openness and integrity of our C-level leadership.

This company TRULY has a mission that goes beyond profits and the bottom line. The most important thing to all of us is to transform healthcare in a positive way. We have to stay in business to do that, and we plan to build a great firm in the process, but we truly measure our success by the outcomes improvement we bring to our clients and their patients.

We are not micromanaged. Health Catalyst's philosophy is to hire excellent people and then stand back and let them innovate and do great work. It's very empowering.

The company cares about work/life balance. While we all work hard, the company is very concerned with team members maintaining a positive work/life balance.

The salaries and benefits offered by Health Catalyst are generous and inline with the company culture as a whole. They appreciate their carefully-selected workforce and want very much to take care of us in a responsible, but overall generous way.

Cons

None...as I said it's the best job I've ever had.

Advice to Management

Just keep doing what you're doing.

Dec 27, 2017 – CEO

Your comments are so generous and encouraging. I am very glad to hear that your experience has been consistent with what we as a leadership team hope is the experience of every team member, every... More

2. "Amazing Culture of Trust, Especially in Platform Engineering"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Bryan Hinton is the best manager I have ever worked for. He and his Platform Engineering leadership team have established such a rare culture of trust and an operating model that is incredibly rigorous yet efficient. Every meeting and discussion is productive and full of positive energy. Some of our discussions and other interactions can get pretty intense, because of the complexity and because of the passion and the pride we take in the software we're building and why we're building it, but our mutual trust and goodwill is reinforced through this continuous collaboration.

Cons

Some other parts of Health Catalyst struggle to achieve the same level of rigor, scale, and collaboration. They are often quite siloed and have wide process variability, but they are getting better.

"Lots of momentum"

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time

Pros

2018 seems to be going great for the company. Marketplace seems to really be responding to the sustained success of the company.

Cons

2017 was a bit of a tough year. Market challenges and "company needing to grow up" seemed to conspire together for one of the most challenging years of the company -- but it looks like the company came out of that in 2018 and things are going really well now.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

Jun 11, 2018 – CEO

Thank you for your review and for your encouraging words. I agree with your assessment -- 2017 was a challenging year for us as a comp;any, both because of external factors, but also because it was... More

"Still a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Data Architect in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Data Architect in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Greatest part of working at Health Catalyst is the senior leadership. They are continually asking for what can be done better. After several years, they still ask how they can improve. From what I experienced, they have implemented nearly all suggestions that would really improve the company and culture. From improved benefits, life balance, health improvement, employee recognition and opportunities to innovate.

Today the company is a lot larger than when I started. Yet, they are looking for what needs to be improved and they implemented minority groups to address their needs in our company and community. Really supportive and encouraging of team members to support and contribute in our own way.

Cons

Organization changes are disruptive and have caused a few unfortunate employee turnover. We still need more minority groups, like latino and potentially religious affiliations. I think it will be hard to give every minority group a voice. It would take a lot of executive time away from keeping the company moving in a financially responsible direction, but the concepts will help encourage and address where discrimination wasn't intended, but is happening.

Team cross pollination doesn't happen as much as it could. We could leverage synergies between different teams and with new teams being developed, it would be nice to hear their vision, what that team is hoping to accomplish this year.
    Personally, I was interacting with clients more regularly, but with the new organization changes, I am removed from building those relationships and it can be harder to do my job. I feel the stress from other team members and they may divert their anger to me, which makes my life less satisfied. Adding value on project work is restricted/forbidden as others are responsible. I have a feeling of powerless to really support both client and others. My personal work is less satisfying. The situation at times makes me think of the blind leading the blind. Or we are speaking different languages and have no interpreter. After a few mishaps, both of us are frustrated and have less trust in the other.

Advice to Management

1. Provide more insight on roles and terms to standardize understanding (interpreters).
    2. If we have a few minority groups, we could benefit from others to balance out the corporate influence.
    3. If I am being removed from client communication, then compensation progression shouldn't be hindered or rely on that as a factor. Modification should be considered, just like managing others where we don't need more managers we need more implementation specialists. We aren't expecting to expand teams, just doing more with less. Please communicate or train managers and senior managers to be aware of the options to modify and lean to benefit members, not hold them back or message they are less valuable than they are.

5. "Good management, senior leadership's actions match their words"

Current Employee - N/A in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - N/A in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At other jobs I have had bad enough experiences with poor management that good management is all I really care about. There is good management at Catalyst. My immediate managers are so good that I've turned down offers to move laterally within the company so I can stay with them. I continually experience: verbal praise both in private and in front of others, concern for my overall well being, encouragement to take time off and not work in the evening, no micromanagement, freedom to come up with and pursue creative solutions, getting the benefit of the doubt, honest and straightforward feedback on what went well and what didn't, forgiveness when I mess up, going to bat and standing up for me when needed, mentoring, proactive encouragement to develop professionally and being given the tools and opportunities to do it. I observe the same qualities in other managers in my area who I work with but don't report to. The overall leadership in my area sets the tone for this (and, on a sidenote, are aggressive about dealing with organizational dysfunction). I am in the Platform area of the Technology organization.

Cons

It is sometimes unclear what's expected on a company level to advance. Paths are especially unclear for individual contributors, to the point that it seems like your current role is your forever role. I have been pleased to see HR and senior leadership strongly address these types of concerns lately and take what I feel are wise steps to clarify and standardize.

Advice to Management

Dan Burton and other executives - Continue your excellent tradition of matching your actions to your words. Thank you for walking your talk!

"Not entirely unlike a dystopian novel"

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I deeply believe in the mission and want the company to succeed changing healthcare.

Cons

Here are the three layers:

1. Stellar C-suite leadership that actually care, though are often substantially disconnected from reality on the ground by the...
    2. ...layers of inexperienced, paranoid leaders (Peter principle) that (out of delusion or ignorance) up-sell themselves to the execs. These layers manage the...
    3. ...hard-working front line people who genuinely care about the mission.

When these front-line contributors either show too much promise or ask too many questions they are marginalized under the guise of "humility". You can imagine how discouraging this can be and those who stay around simply shelve their passion and resign themselves to "sit and turn the crank" while milking the outrageously good benefits. This appears to be the root cause of the culture of fear and underutilized talent.

Another contributing factor that is discussed around the watercooler is the overly submissive yes-person culture created by the over-emphasis on "humility" as a core value. Bad ideas thrive in this environment because few challenge ideas. Expect marginalization if you consider yourself a creative out of the box thinker.

This has led to a strange swirling mix of cultures where many truly want to see the company succeed, but are often discouraged by the lack of management self-awareness. Managers profess Catalyst values loudly and often with the belief that their actions will be overshadowed by their words.

Having sat in so many meetings analyzing catastrophic strategic failures, it has become clear that there are mission critical gaps in leadership experience in the middle layers, and I worry that this may eventually cause the company to implode.

Advice to Management

Pivoting an entire company from an effective (but not profitable) services provider to a software product company is extremely difficult. Trying to do this without substantive product expertise in senior and middle leadership (out of ego? out of ignorance?) compounds this challenge.

Though we profess to be change management experts, if we could turn our improvement tools on ourselves and examine in detail the festering layers of inexperienced managers and the shockingly homogeneous mindsets, success against our admirable mission would be certain!

Jun 11, 2018 – CEO

Thank you for sharing these thoughts. One of the reasons I personally read and respond to every review on Glassdoor, in addition to reading every free-form comment submitted in our semi-annual... More

"Great ethos, mediocre execution"

Former Employee - Developer
    Former Employee - Developer

I worked at Health Catalyst full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One thing I took away from my time at the company is to "assume the best intentions" of my coworkers. The company touts this and I think tries to live it.

Cons

Some individuals abuse the company's assumption of positive intent as an excuse to get away with being bad employees and bad people.

Advice to Management

Have more tough conversations with employees about how they represent the company to clients and their coworkers. If an employee appears to be creating a hostile work environment, deal with it immediately and with a firm hand.

Jun 11, 2018 – CEO

Thank you for your sharing this perspective. I'm glad to hear you felt that most teammates tried to live by the principle of assuming positive intent. I'm sorry to hear that you encountered... More

"Overall, an amazing company to be at for the long-term!"

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time

Pros

Incredible mission! I honestly believe the leadership listens to its employees. Lots of smart folks. Flexible hours. Ability to work remotely. Pay and benefits (from my perspective) are incredibly competitive. The perks are also awesome (and sometimes a little over the top). Leadership is actively working to make this the best place you've ever worked at. I don't feel micromanaged (at least on the team I work on). Great work/life balance. Definitely work-hard and the hours can sometimes be long but balance is strongly encouraged. Feels like a family! The company not only cares about the employee but their families as well.

Cons

Product Management:
    Catalyst is trying really hard to pivot to a product development mindset right now and is kind of stumbling. But I trust we will get through this! Turns out the company seems to be more of a "consulting" company building analytic visualizations in Tableau or Qlik that are custom to a specific client (e.g. not actual software). As the company pivots to building “software products”, the company needs to re-think how the company is staffed, e.g. product managers, designers, software engineers, support, etc.. as well as re-thinking how these software products scale across clients. There also doesn’t seem to be someone that actually “owns” the product development strategy and the overall product roadmap. There all these “technologies” that we have but I don’t seem to know who “owns” how all these get incorporated into a cohesive product strategy.

My perception is that there are so many "directors", "managers" and "VPs" and not enough "boots on the ground" and appropriately skilled contributors. If we're going to be a "product company" we certainly aren't staffing these product teams accordingly e.g. software developers, QA, actual "worker bees" (for lack of a better phrase).

We also don’t seem to have a CTO. We have a “CTO council” that seems to decide things by “committee” e.g. big tech/architecture decisions. This, to me, is an example of where sometimes the idea of “collaboration” can be a little too much and hinder actual productivity.

Culture:
    For the most part, people seem to live the values of the company. However, one of the things I’d recommend keeping any eye on is a “culture of blame” that I’m starting to see. In certain cases where I’ve seen something go wrong, there’s been this knee-jerk reaction to blame someone right away before pausing and doing an actual root cause investigation of the issue. I wish in these cases the focus was more about learning and how to be better instead of adding to the culture of blame.

Diversity:
    I wish the company was more diverse. Catalyst has a blog post that references the business case for diversity and the work that we need to do. There is some good work that is starting to happen and the intentions of the company around diversity and inclusion are, no doubt, sincere and well-meaning! But I fear that there’s a lot of conversation about diversity happening at the leadership level that is happening, without an actual diverse group to help inform the discussion on what it means to be a diverse company.

May 9, 2018 – CEO

Thank you for sharing this feedback with us. I've read your comments a few times, and we've discussed your comments also in our weekly leadership team meetings, and they, coupled with some similar... More

"Good Company, Good Culture, Bullies in Leadership."

I worked at Health Catalyst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company was great to work for. The overall culture was great and very work life balanced. The mission is great.

Cons

There is a few leadership positions that are occupied by complete bullies. Thus their team leads follow suit. They instill a blame culture and are so disrespectful to others if they disagree or are not a favorite. Many, many have left for this reason. For some reason it is tolerated and even rewarded it seems. Upper management knows of the complaints but does absolutely nothing.

Advice to Management

Decide what the culture at Health Catalyst really is

Apr 3, 2018 – CEO

Thank you for sharing this feedback, and I am very sorry your experience included the negative elements you referenced above. Consistent with the cultural attribute of humility, we as a Leadership... More

"Glad to have an LGBT group at the company"

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time

Pros

The company has recently organized a group for LGBTQ employees and allies. I think it's great to see that they support diversity. I hope that the group grows and that other diversity groups can get started.

Cons

When you work on team projects that last six months or so and then switch to other projects, it's hard to feel like you're part of a really cohesive team.

Mar 8, 2018 – CEO

Thanks very much for sharing this perspective in your review. I'm also glad we have supported the creation of affinity groups like the LGBTQA group and other affinity groups. I felt like I really... More