Health Catalyst Reviews | Glassdoor

4.5
Health Catalyst CEO Dan Burton
Dan Burton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Amazing Benefits that help promote a good work/life balance" (in 45 reviews)

• "Health Catalyst adjusts appropriately but keeps principles consistent" (in 71 reviews)

Cons
  • "It seems that every year Health Catalyst is pushing to the very last minute to hit their goals" (in 30 reviews)

• "While work/life balance is something that the company values, it is hard to see it in practice" (in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"My spouse wants me to work here forever (and I just might)"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Truly unlimited PTO and 3-month parental leave
    Transparency from the management team
    Great compensation with visibility into decision-making criteria (how to become more valuable)
    Company actually trusts team members to do the right thing

Cons

Hard to gain healthcare knowledge as a member of the technology organization within the company without prior healthcare industry experience

Advice to Management

Continue to reinforce Health Catalyst's operating principles

Sep 6, 2018 – CEO

Thank you for this feedback, and I'm really energized to hear of your spouse's perspective about you working at Health Catalyst. That's how we want the loved ones of every team member to feel. I... More

"Best company in all my professional career!"

Current Employee - Analytics Engineer in Holladay, UT
    Current Employee - Analytics Engineer in Holladay, UT

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is by far the best company I have worked for. It's mission makes you feel excited about going to work each day, the CEO leads the company by example: his honesty, humility, hard work ethics, transparency and genuine care for EACH team member is something I have never experienced before in my life. Amazing benefits, flexibility to work from home, a wonderful office with treats, fresh fruit, drinks and gym with amazing instructors. Abundant opportunities (and encouragement) to develop and grow professionally. I can see myself staying and working for Health Catalyst until I retire!

Cons

Some people are overloaded because of a hiring freeze or a really lengthy and painful hiring process.

Advice to Management

Keep training the managers. Some are wonderful, but there is one department in the Company that really needs to improve their upper management performance. They are good, smart people, but it will help if they practice humility as well, so they could listen to suggestions from team members and take their knowledge in account when making important decisions that will directly affect our clients and as a result the whole company.

Oct 19, 2018 – CEO

Thank you for your kind and generous words and for your commitment to the company's mission. I appreciate your feedback regarding the importance of manager training -- we're working on collecting... More

"I expect to be here a long time"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Remote-friendly workplace: I come into the office only two to three times a month
    - Results-oriented: if you get things done, nobody cares how or when
    - Great benefits: health, dental, home office, fitness, tuition/education, parental leave, PTO
    - Strong internal advocacy for women and LGBT employees
    - Great corporate mission: saving lives is as important as saving money
    - Trustworthy execs: honesty and transparency start at the very top, and payroll is *always* made on time

Cons

- Education budget is not always as advertised. Your department lead may decide certain things aren't covered. You still get more benefits here than you'd get anywhere else, but prepare for occasional disillusionment.
    - Salaries are not highly competitive. This is by design. The company is committed to pay better than the industry average but not so high that you can't easily find a bigger paycheck somewhere else.
    - Not all teams are created equal. Some teams are so high-strung and bureaucratic that I would quit if I had to work for them.
    - The hiring process is a complete flaming mess. It includes several grueling marathon interviews and a time-consuming take-home project. Hiring decisions take weeks, during which time you might not hear anything if you don't reach out.

Advice to Management

Figure out hiring. It's embarrassing to tell my friends to apply here, then have to apologize (several times) for the hiring process or ask around the company to see if anyone's going to follow up with them.

Oct 19, 2018 – CEO

Thank you for sharing this feedback. I appreciate the detail in both the positive categories and in the areas where we need to improve. We'll keep emphasizing the point that the education budget... More

4. "Challenging. In the best way possible."

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Challenging people:
    Amazing people who are all doing their best to row in the same direction, while making all the mistakes we humans make, but still enjoying the journey together without finger pointing, complaining, or otherwise poor behavior (except for when we do these things, 'cause were human). Bottom line, we aren't all that great at it here (yet), but we're better at it here than any other place I've ever worked in my 20 year career. Best group of people I've ever worked with. Love you guys!

Challenging mission:
    Helping sick people get well. What could be better? We do have a challenging mission. Its an amazingly difficult, always changing landscape in healthcare. It's the hard that makes it so good.

Challenging jobs:
    You will never work so hard or feel so rewarded. Everyone here is smarter than me (but usually not snotty or condescending about it). I have to bring my A-game every day.

I love coming to work every day.

Cons

We are experiencing all of the typical growing pains around communication, span of control, operational standards, etc. etc. etc. that all high growth companies face. You will feel challenges while working here. The difference is you get all the good stuff (that you usually don't get elsewhere) that compensates.

Advice to Management

Thank you for doing the hard work related to culture and "doing the right thing" that makes much of this possible.

Oct 19, 2018 – CEO

Thank you for your kind and encouraging words, and for your leadership at the company, for so many years! I feel a particular sense of gratitude and appreciation for teammates who have been in the... More

5. "Caring"

Current Employee - Senior Data Architect in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Senior Data Architect in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Competitive pay and great benefits.
    - Executive leadership that really cares about its people and its clients, and it shows.
    - A strong and motivating mission statement that keeps me going despite some frustrations.

Cons

- Communication between teams seem disorganized at best and non-existent at worst.
    - I feel a certain degree of inter-team coordination is missing. Dependencies of one team's products with another teams products are causing issues. Assumptions one team makes about another team also sews confusion and missed expectations.
    - We are still catching up on ripple effects from a major reorg. Personally, my position has stagnated due to changed structural needs and a way forward has taken much longer to figure out than anticipated.
    - Technical debt and lack of development resources are now biting us operationally.

Advice to Management

Add a coordinating team that looks at the big picture or our products and services and how they should all interconnect. Add a cross-discipline optimization team that looks for technical debt and architectural issues and works to resolve them.

Oct 19, 2018 – CEO

Thank you for sharing this feedback. It resonates with me, and your suggestions feel appropriate and helpful. As we announced the results of our interviews for the COO position, I do believe this... More

6. "Outstanding place to be"

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- A profound commitment to team members. The default answer to most issues ends up being a consideration of what solution is best for the team member.
    - Challenging environment with an opportunity to learn new things
    - Benefits and work-life balance and second to none
    - Leadership is methodical and considerate when making tough decisions
    - An awesome mission to improve healthcare in the US

Cons

- I've had the opportunity to work for a few managers in my time here and the experience of the team member can still vary greatly from role to role and department to department.
    - Variation in each team's approach and tools used, this can make things very difficult for cross-functional team members that work with many product teams.
    - Growing company headaches still remain

Advice to Management

Continue to work on improving team member experience through management training. I have had some managers that are contrary to the company's guiding principles and commitment to the team member. I see this still perpetuating in some pockets of the organization and I would hate to see us lose good people as a result. Past that, bring back the significant other dinner!

Oct 19, 2018 – CEO

Thank you for your thoughts and feedback, informed by over five years at the company! Thank you for all of your contributions during those five-plus years! I share your perspective about the... More

7. "Great company with growing pains"

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits package, generous PTO (unlimited), HSA match contributions are outstanding. Executive leaders are open to feedback and transparent about solutions. Massive growth happening in a few critical departments. Love the transparency of the company's performance and long-term goals. Love that we are going to start posting most of our open positions internally, including high level ones. It was amazing that so many people got the opportunity to be considered for our new COO role.

Cons

We are still learning and growing, but I'm not sure everyone is fully onboard with the changes. There is often a disconnect between Leadership directives and execution in the mid-management level. It's been said many times our managers need more training, which I know is being developed. However, it can be difficult for managers to find time to get the development they need given workloads. It's a difficult balance, growing while developing, but I'm confident HC can figure this one out.

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparency, we really appreciate it. This is a great forum for feedback, but just because one person says something is wrong, doesn't constitute a systemic issue, nor does it mean we need to make sweeping changes. We should be thoughtful in the data we receive through the form of comments on surveys or Glassdoor reviews. The great news is we are willing to learning and change and I love that. Let's always keep the spirit of learning in our values.

8. "Best. place. to. work. .... in humility, of course. : )"

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Our focus on the company's mission is real
    -Company culture is second to none ....because the emphasis is on the core value of "humility"
    -Sr. Mgt. does an excellent job of staying focused on the mission, operating principles and core values ....it is emphasized for top to bottom
    -I don't know of and I am not aware of any other CEO who is as transparent as Health Catalyst's ....the open communication from the CEO is superb! The CEO exemplifies selflessness and humility and takes care of all team members because it's, not only the right thing to do, but it also better enables us (team members) to excel in our jobs so that we can take better care of our clients....brilliant strategy!

Cons

-Growing pains because of company growth

Advice to Management

Please continue to be humble and please continue doing what you are doing...thank you!

Oct 5, 2018 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback, and for your generous and gracious words. I will try to live up to your kind words, and when I fall short, will try to humbly acknowledge, apologize and then work to... More

9. "Disheartening at times"

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, transparent and humble leadership, corporate culture promotes healthy hard work and teamwork

Cons

Promotions, changing departments/teams, and being recognized for working well beyond the scope of your job - are like hitting a moving target or maybe a mirage

Advice to Management

Internal applicants that apply for and do not get new positions should be contacted by HR or the hiring manager with an explanation, and that explanation should be recorded somewhere. If the explanation was that they decided to promote someone within the team (so it really wasn't an open position to begin with if there was someone already slated for it...), pay attention to the number of those happening as an organization. It seems to be happening a lot around here and it is very discouraging to apply for a such a position, feel excited about the contributions and new ideas you could bring to a new team, and then find out that they hired someone who was already on that team that they'd had in mind all along. It's even more discouraging if it happens to you more than once with no good explanation.

Provide an easy way for team members to submit ideas they have for the organization as a whole about our products, professional services, solving corporate problems, etc. Make sure these ideas are heard - and not just gathering dust in Spark. Overall, help team members feel like their ideas are important to hear, and worth hearing. Some of us are sitting on our hands with ideas of how we can do more, contribute more, change something that isn't working, and generally give more to this organization than is in our current job scope, but it feels like there's nowhere to do that and if we bring it up to our managers, it falls on deaf ears or they are too busy to listen.

Finally, please put the Manager Feedback system into place. Currently, it feels like there is no feedback loop (until a situation is so painful or dysfunctional that it's beyond fixing without major intervention) for managers.

I still love working here. I want to do more, contribute more, share ideas I have from my experiences - please help team members like me figure out how.

Oct 19, 2018 – CEO

Thank you for this feedback -- I appreciate you sharing it. I have read and re-read the feedback, and unfortunately (in a sense), I find it fair and resonant. This is a topic that keeps me up at... More

"Good culture, Truly Cares About Employees and Clients"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pretty good compensation/benefits
    Great work life balance (PTO not tracked, flexibility on when/where you do your work, as long as you get it done)
    Talented/committed colleagues
    Wide variety of interesting projects
    Not overly large/bureaucratic - ability to every single person to be heard, make suggestions, take on more responsibility, etc..
    Project teams not too large/specialized, which allows for more effective software/analytics development

Cons

At times, it seems certain groups of employees can feel siloed within a specific customer, role, or department

Re-orgs have made career path and work responsibilities a little unclear (roles evolving, and unsure if evolving in the way specific employees hoped/anticipated)

Small size limits promotion/growth opportunities to some degree. Though the company tries very hard to promote from within and increase employee's responsibilities as company growth permits.

Much of the direction/strategy is dominated by corporate HQ teams. Teams outside may feel a bit like passengers, or non very involved on key long-term initiatives, priorities, etc..

Advice to Management

More actively solicit input from each employee on the direction they want to grow their skills/experiences/contributions. Then give them opportunities to do so while providing increased value to the company and its clients.

Facilitate more communication/collaboration between teams across clients, as well as within corporate to help alleviate siloed work and perspectives.

Oct 19, 2018 – CEO

Thank you for this feedback, I think it is fair and it resonates with me. We've felt a great desire to enable every team member, in every location, to feel and sense that they have a bright future... More