Health Catalyst Reviews

Updated Jun 23, 2020

4.5
Pros
Cons
  • "I know through conversations with team members there can be a delta in experiences from one resource to another at Health Catalyst(in 51 reviews)

• "I continue to worry after Catalyst's ability to grow its own talent resources internally; to train and instill further education in its team members(in 46 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Working for Health Catalyst is One of the Best Choices I've Made"

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Leadership: Transparent: Our leaders are transparent with their ideas and plans, and totally respectful. Everyone is welcome to ask questions, no matter how difficult they may be. We have All Team Member meetings every 2 weeks where our CEO and other leaders personally answer team member questions. Every All Team Meeting feels like a masterclass in leadership. Consensus-Driven: no ego-maniacs here. Our leadership team consists of an incredibly humble and hard working group of experts and leaders who are totally committed to the success of our mission. My managers have been kind and considerate while maintaining high expectations for my work and for me to improve. Competent: Even in the midst of a crisis, I feel positive about the company's outlook and future, mostly due to our excellent leaders. We talk frequently about "earning the right" to do certain things as a company that may cost more - and before we earn the right (i.e., grow as a company) we discipline ourselves with less. I think this discipline and focus will help protect the company for many years to come. - Employee-First is for real Incredible benefits. Leadership goes out of their way to help you develop and protect your job. YOU are the most important asset. Because we feel this way, we want the company to succeed. I feel totally supported to maintain a work-life balance and be the best parent and spouse I can be, while also developing myself professionally. There are tons of opportunities to excel and work hard. They provide a generous education benefit that helps me pay for courses to develop my technical skills. Even though this is my first job out of college, I feel respected and empowered to grow and learn and have an impact. - Purpose-Driven: This is the place if you're looking for mission-driven co-workers. If you want to have an impact on healthcare outcomes and helping hospitals and medical centers to meet their full technological potential, this is it. We're all driven towards that. Every company success feels like an exciting step towards making the world a better place.

Cons

Cons: - Not a "young & hip" technology company: ○ Which may not be a bad thing…but if you're looking for a lot of co-workers who are young people that play board games on breaks and go on company retreats to the woods, this may not be the environment for you. Many team members work remotely, or are only in the office occasionally, which can make developing close relationships more difficult. Client work is such that you may spend most of your work day alone working on projects or collaborating with people from across the country over Zoom or e-mail. This is especially the case these days since the office is closed, which has been totally the right thing to do. Most people have families, so this is a very family-oriented culture - though that doesn't mean we don't have fun! - Not exactly the "tip of the spear" in terms of technology: ○ This is a healthcare technology & services company - if you're looking for the most cutting-edge developments in machine learning or web technology, you're not likely to find it here. . .yet. It's not because we couldn't do that if we wanted to - it's more a feature of the industry we're in. We are razor-focused on meeting our clients where they are and helping them to develop the capabilities to use their data for machine learning and other advanced and efficient technologies to improve outcomes and help patients - but we get there with baby steps (for example, some clients don't have the data mastery to understand fundamental drivers of costs to their business, much less predict those costs). We don't glory in technology for technology's sake - we craft and use technology to help our clients be as successful as they possibly can be. - Client work can be frustrating: When working with clients, they can at times (though rarely in my experience) be stubborn or resistant to change or even downright hostile to it. It takes a lot of patience and people-skills to teach and persuade. At times your work experience will be dictated by whatever the client is working and focusing on, which can limit your ability to grow skills and stand out. It can be tough to make progress.This issue isn't unique to Health Catalyst since it's pretty common no matter where you work if doing client work.

May 15, 2020CEO

Thank you for your detailed, thoughtful and insightful feedback. I'm encouraged to read the positives you've experienced and we'll work to reinforce those elements. I also find very resonant the areas for improvement and the advice you provide. We do want to make progress in enabling deep friendships to form among colleagues at work -- one of the Gallup engagement questions, and we believe that activity outside of work can facilitate these friendships. As such, we do plan to invest in these kinds of events and experiences post-COVID-19, and also continue our investment in offices that facilitate positive interactions and deepened friendships. We also seek to find the balance between cutting edge technology, which we are excited about and which we want to develop and tap into, and its practical use and adoption in healthcare to the end of measurable improvement. And I agree that working directly with clients to tackle difficult problems in healthcare delivery presents a series of challenges and difficulties. Further, I agree that we can improve our onboarding experience, absolutely. Finally, I agree strongly that we're just getting started, and now is no time for complacency. If we are to achieve our mission fully, we need to positively impact the health of every human being on the planet, which means we have an incredible amount of meaningful work ahead of us! I'm grateful and honored to be your colleague in this important work. Thank you again for choosing to join Health Catalyst in the critical role of Analytics Engineer 1+ year ago. Best, Dan

"Great company, great culture, great outlook"

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company leadership continues to impress and engender the greatest respect from me. The culture amongst the entire family of Health Catalyst is second to none and is the company's greatest asset I feel. I continue to have great faith in the leadership of Health Catalyst. at all levels, and have the strongest hope in the future of the company and my team members.

Cons

I continue to worry after Catalyst's ability to grow its own talent resources internally; to train and instill further education in its team members. The company does offer a generous education allowance for team members to utilize, however, the lack of formally directed, inservice-like training is creating silos of experience and knowledge that cannot be easily disseminated into the institutional memory of the company. It should be recognized efforts are being made in this area, but I feel much more is needed.

May 15, 2020CEO

Thank you for your feedback and for your encouraging comments. I'm glad to hear of your positive experience thus far, and I agree that we can do more with regards to facilitating the continuous learning and development of our team members. We're proactively working on this in 2020, even with some constraints due to COVID-19, but expect to make some meaningful progress here. Thank you again for choosing to join Health Catalyst over a year ago in the important role of Analytics Engineer! Best, Dan

3. "Great Management But No 401k Match"

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Management is incredibly transparent which is refreshing. They are very smart and seem genuinely open to new ideas and alternative views.

Cons

There is no 401k match. The earliest we can expect the company to match again is 2021.

July 2, 2020CEO

Thank you for your feedback, and thank you for your contributions to the company these past 3+ years! I also appreciate your positive comments regarding your experience with management -- we will each strive to live up to your assessment. I also appreciate your feedback regarding the 401(k) match benefit. We're hopeful to reintroduce this benefit as soon as we can within the financial sustainability framework we've discussed together in our all team member meetings. Thank you for your willingness to contribute to the company's long-term success, and its ability to accomplish its mission, even through times of sacrifice. We will make it through this, together, and I see many reasons for hope and optimism moving forward! Best, Dan

"What Gets Pushed to the Margins"

2.0
    Current Employee - Hard Worker

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time

Pros

Many truly good people at Health Catalyst. Leadership tries to take care of those who fit the Catalyst mold. True ability to act as a catalyst for improving healthcare.

Cons

Too many to list. Perhaps the most significant are the inconsistent application of company policies between the leadership and the employees (think of how the US Congress gives themselves special treatment) and the misguided interpretation of humility that encourages passive-aggression over open dialog. These, and the other cons, exist in an environment of much talk and little action -- unless the complaint is coming from leadership -- in which case there will be direct action and very little discussion -- at least very little discussion in the vein of permitting unbiased consideration of the opposing view. Overall "staying in your lane" is prioritized over performance -- and obesiance is a key part of staying in your lane. What gets "pushed to the margin" in this "don't make waves" culture, is hard work and competence. Getting results is not a priority. I guess leadership is okay as long as they can keep raising enough money to keep the water deep enough to cover the stumps.

June 19, 2020CEO

Thank you for sharing this perspective and feedback. Your experience is certainly not what we strive for at Health Catalyst, and I would appreciate the chance to better understand your specific situation by visiting directly and privately with you. I will commit to treat confidential information with care and sensitivity, and I would also commit to use this better understanding to go to work to strive towards improvement and greater consistency with our values and operating principles. If you would be open to a private 1:1, my assistant Jenn Howard can help us schedule time. Thank you again for sharing your perspective, and I apologize that your experience hasn't measured up to our company's values and mission. Best, Dan

5. "It has been a great experience overall, having been with Health Catalyst around 8 years"

4.0
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I have been able to work on many applications and frameworks. Most of my managers have been great and understand if I’m not the most talkative. They have looked at what I have accomplished, and have taken positive feedback from team members who have spoken highly of me.

Cons

There isn’t enough time to become proficient at a programming framework or technology before moving to something else. I had some managers that thought I wasn’t paying attention if I didn’t say a lot. They would always call me out on it, and passed me up for any advancement. They seemed to judge me more on talking rather than the work I performed.

June 19, 2020CEO

Thank you for this review and feedback, and thank you for contributing to our company's success for these past 8+ years! I feel such deep appreciation for you and for your commitment to helping our company succeed! I also appreciate your flexibility during the past 8 years taking on new roles, new frameworks, and new responsibilities based on what the company needed. I also recognize and find resonant your perspective that we can do better in enabling "mastery" of specific skills and frameworks, and that we should enable greater mastery through our education and training offerings and/or by supporting regular time being devoted to training. I agree strongly with this, and would encourage every manager to be supportive of this approach. Thank you also for your kind words, and I'm very happy to hear that your experience with your direct manager has been positive. We recognize the foundational importance of this direct supervisory role in enabling high team member engagement and job satisfaction. We'll keep focusing here -- desiring every team member at Health Catalyst to have a world-class servant-leader as a manager. Thank you again for your 8 years of dedication and commitment to our company and its mission. Here's to 8 more years working as colleagues to contribute to a worthy mission! Best, Dan

"Working at Health Catalyst is a distinctly mixed bag."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The leadership team is extremely engaged, and comes off as concerned, thoughtful, and approachable. They have built a company focused on the employees, and the company culture is very "familial". The benefits are quite good compared to other employers in the area, and the specific team I work on is fantastic, with no weak links and extremely good cooperation. This company is obsessed with how much their employees like working for the company.

Cons

The downside, however, is that in R&D, where I am, the work is not exciting at all. The technology platform is quite regressive, and while R&D middle-management talks up a storm about how we need to develop "for the cloud" and use "platform as a service", the reality on the ground is that it's impossible to do that, because some clients are self-hosted and that will continue to be true for the foreseeable future. The technology teams are tasked with maintaining several old versions, because clients are not required to update to newer software. This makes every change and bugfix extremely tedious, as the changes must be backported to multiple versions. Technology decisions are all made by R&D middle management, who suffers from an extreme case of "not invented here syndrome". Everything must utilize the flagship analytics platform, which means that everything must be built from scratch around that platform, even when well-established fully-capable tools already exist. This means time is spent reinventing wheels (poorly) instead of delivering real value for customers. While "dogfooding" is to be commended generally, in many cases, it's unhelpful to pretend that the flagship product is a master of every niche. Even if, on the off-chance that something interesting and forward-thinking does need to be done, it will be done by the "technology inner circle" and handed to the relevant team to maintain, who will never feel any pride in or ownership over it.

June 19, 2020CEO

Thank you for your review and for your feedback. We do care deeply about every team member's engagement and experience, as team members are at the center of our flywheel, our strategy, and our success in accomplishing our mission. Thank you also for the feedback regarding our R&D approach and priorities. We'll discuss this topic in today's all-team-member meeting, and I've invited my colleagues Bryan Hinton and Eric Just, who oversee the vast majority of our R&D investments, to address this important topic. I acknowledge and recognize that in a constrained investment environment, which certainly describes our situation at Health Catalyst, we are unable to invest in all of the areas with which we would like to invest, but instead have to carefully prioritize our investment. And there is meaningful judgment we must apply, balancing enabling incremental investments with more breakthrough and innovative investments. I'm confident we don't always get this balance right, but we strive to find the right balance. We'll keep working on this important balance and strategic set of choices. Thank you again for sharing this feedback and for contributing to our company's success these past 3+ years! Best, Dan

7. COVID-19

"I have turned down some very lucrative offers in order to keep working here"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Health Catalyst functions at a high level of integrity and puts the best interest of employees at the center of every business decision. Companies like that are hard to find. In the wake of COVID-19, we've all been encouraged, clearly and repeatedly, to put ourselves and our families first. I can't speak for every team, but my manager for one has stood behind that policy 100%. And that's how HC has consistently operated during my term of employment: putting people first, doing the right thing, playing the long game, acting on trust. The benefits package is amazing; I took full advantage of the parental leave after my child was born and did so with the full support of my manager and team. Salary ranges are transparent and above average. And since the company was already built on a remote-first policy, COVID hasn't affected my day-to-day work at all. Not to skim over the best part - remote work is a big deal to me as an introvert. I work when I want and how I want, I'm never distracted by office noise, and I'm able to get things done in the way that's best for me. I truly enjoy working at Health Catalyst, and I feel very safe there.

Cons

I've groused about a number of things in my time here. Every complaint has been taken seriously, discussed by leadership, and responded to.

April 30, 2020CEO

Thank you for this thoughtful review, and for your kind words as well. I'm encouraged to hear of the positives you mention around a team-member-first approach, and a goal to listen carefully to comments and feedback, and then to be responsive in pursuing improvements. This is certainly the goal. I can also relate with your comments about the benefits of remote work and flexibility -- as a fellow introvert! I also look forward to getting to the other side of this specific set of challenges related to COVID-19, including helping our health system clients effectively respond both clinically, as well as helping them get back on their feet from a financial perspective post-COVID-19. I appreciate your contributions these past 3+ years to world-class software engineering in support of the company's mission. Best, Dan

"Could keep going all day with the pros..."

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time for more than a year

Pros

CEO and entire executive team are brilliant, genuine, committed, hard-working, patient and absolutely amazing. The culture at Catalyst is also perfectly balanced. A lot is expected but there’s no shaming or micromanaging. The work is engaging. The leadership team is extremely inclusive with informing ALL team members with the latest company decisions, updates, struggles, etc.

Cons

Coming in about a year and a half ago, one of the hardest things was the lack of training. It’s kind of a hit the ground running, you’re expected to know everything right off the bat deal.

April 24, 2020CEO

Thank you for your review and feedback, and for your kind and encouraging words. I'm grateful to hear of your positive experience over the past year and a half as an Analytics Engineer. I agree that the work is engaging and meaningful, and we will try to keep up the transparency and bi-directional communications, especially during times of uncertainty and challenge, as we will discuss during today's weekly all-team-member meeting (along with reading through, together, your glassdoor review). Thank you also for your feedback regarding gaps in training content that could have been helpful in hitting the ground running. We're focused on making progress here, and even in these uncertain and challenging times, we'll still be making investments in education and training and we're hopeful to make progress here. Thank you for your engagement and commitment, and for your contributions, on the front lines, in supporting our clients as an Analytics Engineer. Your work is making a difference. Best, Dan

9. COVID-19

"Amazing company, stellar leadership"

Current Employee - Director, Software Engineering in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Leadership is 100% committed to transparency, and work tirelessly to find ways to improve the lives of team members. For example, the 12-week parental leave policy is amazing, and has been a huge blessing to my family. During this COVID-19 response, a number of "pros" have specifically stood out. - It's been super meaningful to see the products I've helped build, being put to use to help fight the disease and improve patient outcomes. - Leadership has continued to show their commitment to keeping team members safe and doing our part to fight the epidemic by shutting down offices. - The company's previous remote-friendly (even remote-first) policies made it easy for us to stay productive without having to completely change the way we work. - Individual team members have proactively expressed a great willingness to sacrifice, should the need arise, in order to avoid having their colleagues lose their positions or put the company's future at risk. - Leadership has stepped up their already over-the-top commitment to transparency, holding regular Q&A meetings and candidly discussing new developments as they arise.

Cons

As work becomes more remote, it's harder to feel connected with team members. We used to take walks, play ultimate frisbee, etc. on a weekly basis. Those days are gone.

April 17, 2020CEO

Thank you for your review and for the positive feedback you shared based on your experience as one of our leaders in software engineering over the past 3+ years. And thank you for all you have contributed to the company's mission and success during those years. I also appreciate and agree with the challenges we are all facing regarding a remote-only experience right now. I'm grateful for our remote capabilities which have helped us adjust well to the COVID-19 situation, but still acknowledge the importance of the opportunity to connect through resources like an office, and one that includes amenities, as well as by supporting activities where we physically get together. We will continue to invest in these kinds of experiences moving forward, and will reincorporate these experiences as we get through this specific situation, which should be positive and something to look forward to as well. Thank you again for your ongoing contributions to our company's mission and success. Best, Dan

"Great place to work, maturing well"

Current Employee - Analytics Engineer

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great colleagues and culture (smart, collaborative, transparent, customer focused) Flexible work arrangements Generous benefits Truly cares about improving healthcare through analytics

Cons

Teams are spread out across locations and clients (collaboration greatly improving however)

April 3, 2020CEO

Thank you for your feedback and review. I agree with your perspective regarding the positives you shared regarding the quality of our team members, flexibility, benefits and mission-orientation. I also agree that we need to keep a focus on effective collaboration across locations and clients. I'm also glad to hear your assessment that you're seeing improvement. We'll keep working to improve. thank you also for your 5+ years of analytics engineering contributions to the company -- you're in such a centrally important role as a primary face of the company to our clients! Best, Dan

Found 322 reviews