Health Catalyst Reviews | Glassdoor

4.5
Health Catalyst CEO Dan Burton
Dan Burton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Amazing Benefits that help promote a good work/life balance" (in 46 reviews)

• "Health Catalyst adjusts appropriately but keeps principles consistent" (in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • "It seems that every year Health Catalyst is pushing to the very last minute to hit their goals" (in 32 reviews)

• "Work life balance continues to be a challenge" (in 13 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"My spouse wants me to work here forever (and I just might)"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Truly unlimited PTO and 3-month parental leave
    Transparency from the management team
    Great compensation with visibility into decision-making criteria (how to become more valuable)
    Company actually trusts team members to do the right thing

Cons

Hard to gain healthcare knowledge as a member of the technology organization within the company without prior healthcare industry experience

Advice to Management

Continue to reinforce Health Catalyst's operating principles

Sep 6, 2018 – CEO

Thank you for this feedback, and I'm really energized to hear of your spouse's perspective about you working at Health Catalyst. That's how we want the loved ones of every team member to feel. I... More

"Great organization and an opportunity to do meaningful work"

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This truly is the best place I have ever worked. For reference on that perspective, I am more than midway through my career. I hope to finish my career with Health Catalyst - that's how great of an employer they are.
    I have great respect for our senior leaders and work with many, many brilliant people. Our CEO is incredibly transparent.
    We have the opportunity to contribute to meaningful work, improving outcomes for healthcare organizations and the patients they serve.
    I am a remote employee, and I absolutely love the flexibility. Working from home has also allowed me to be more productive.
    We are treated well. Fair pay, good benefits, and perks that make me appreciate working here.
    I feel valued by my supervisors, and feel as though my contributions matter.

Cons

Working from home is not for everyone. I've seen some people who feel they don't have the type of connection they require to feel like a cohesive team. If you are someone who needs face to face connection to feel like a team, our remote positions may not be right for you.
    We need to increase our diversity. When I look around the company, we do not "look" like the clients and communities they serve.
    Work life balance continues to be a challenge. We are growing. This, and reorganization/re-alignment has resulted in situations were our most skilled people are asked to do even more than they already were. Some are over extended, and are traveling far more than was intended for their role. As a result, some people are fatigued. I worry we will lose them.
    While humility is one of our cultural attributes, we have some people with big egos, who are sometimes permitted to do and say things that others within the organization are not permitted to do. Some of these people inadvertently (I hope) create chaos and increased work for others, and I don't think their supervisors are always aware of this.
    If you are someone who has a difficult time with constant change, this is likely not the right organization for you. We are constantly changing. Change is often messy - we are no exception. Sometimes the changes are great and everything goes smoothly, other times they do not. If you are not highly adaptable and highly competent/confident, you probably will not enjoy working here.

Advice to Management

We need a plan, that extends beyond training, to improve the diversity of our workforce. How can we change our recruiting/hiring to ensure we are hiring a diverse workforce? Once hired, what do we need to do to ensure that those with a different perspective/background are valued, and ensure development, coaching, and career advancement opportunities that will help them to be successful and help them want to stay here?
    We also need to resolve some of the issues that have occurred related to women in the workplace.
    Recent communication/trainings (with the exception of the unconscious bias awareness training) have discussed what women could do to adjust their style to be better received by their male colleagues. This is similar to the messages that have been sent at other trainings on this subject - "women, change how you do something so you can be better received." While it is true that we all have the opportunity to improve the effectiveness of our communication, and we all need to have the skill to adjust our communication so it will be received by the audience, the organization needs to deal with the double standard that exists. If/when we repeatedly see men being allowed to speak in a way their female colleagues are not, that needs to be addressed. If a woman is repeatedly told she is too assertive, or the men discount her opinion/ideas until the same suggested is made by a male member of the workforce, we need to address that. I've not heard or seen a plan that would suggest we are going to confront some of our challenges in this space. Beyond asking women to change how they communication, what can the organization do to make this a more diverse company that accepts different styles and perspectives? If we have a client that consistently places our female (or any other non-hetero, non-white male) team mates in a submissive position, discounting their expertise, how will we deal with that?
    I believe this is being worked on, but we also need to work on organizational alignment, role clarity, and on standardizing the methods used to complete high priority, client facing work. I think our challenges in this space are growth related challenges, but we still have (very important places) where we do not have role clarity and lack standard practices that can help ensure the work is done in a like type way, regardless of who is assigned to your account. Because of this, our customer experience varies. This is going to become a problem for us in the future if we do not get better at having standard offerings/services that drive customer adoption, ensuring they receive the benefit of their investment with us.
    Please note, none of the challenges above are insurmountable. Simply things we need to work on to make us even better and to help ensure our ongoing viability.

"Excellent company to work for. Honorable company mission and superb leadership with heavy stress on work-life-balance."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

• Leaders are very transparent and attempt to address every concern and issue
    • Company benefits are second to none.
    • The ability to work from home is awesome and they even provide a stipend for home office equipment.
    • Employees appear to be sincere and there’s an obvious culture of humility and overall niceness that everyone tries to follow.
    • The education benefit has allowed me to grow my technical skills in areas of interest.

Cons

• Some disjointed efforts across the company that have resulted in some poor product performance
    • The adoption of the Radford leveling system to define compensation has pushed some long time employees to a category of “over-payed” which is causing lots of folks to look elsewhere to prove that they’re worthy of their compensation. Which unfortunately has proved in a few cases that this strategy is causing great people to leave the company.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on keeping the culture that is in place. It’s easy to stay motivated and loyal when you have a CEO like Dan Burton, who obviously and sincerely cares about everyone and strives to be the example for how we should act and treat each other.

Although I don’t know the answer, I feel like the Radford leveling system has weakened morale and is a major cause of some of the recent turnover. I feel like this model has weakened my eagerness to go above and beyond what is asked. It’s like we’re all now on a time based treadmill workout, where increasing the speed may get you some high fives, but doesn’t truly help in an endeavor to increase your compensation, especially if your Radford level says you’re over-paid ... then walking on the treadmill seems to be the obvious option. This is an area where I miss the good old days when I started working at Health Catalyst.

Nov 30, 2018 – CEO

Thank you for your thoughtful and detailed feedback. And thank you for your kind words. They mean a great deal, particularly coming from a teammate who has been with our company for over five... More

"Too Much Variation Across Teams/Departments and a Lack of Adoption of "The Health Catalyst Way" Where It Matters Most"

Former Employee - Senior Data Architect
    Former Employee - Senior Data Architect

I worked at Health Catalyst full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Very competent and professional executive team. Dan Burton (CEO) is someone that any team member can feel has their best interest in mind. There have been many protocols and benefits added over time as a result of feedback that Dan and the rest of the executive team have taken to heart.

-Incredible mission, attributes, and operating principles.

-Lots of amazing people that contribute to the mission-driven culture and embody company attributes. Many smart, hard-working, humble, and fun people that redeem some of the companies’ challenges.

-Great benefits and flexible remote work policies.

-Relatively competitive pay.

Cons

-Job satisfaction is heavily tied to assigned direct HR managers and mentors. Some team members have amazing experiences with the company and get to safely accept and practice the attributes and operating principles every day while focusing on the being a “catalyst for massive, sustained improvement in healthcare outcomes,” while also being rewarded for doing so. In contrast, several team members experience managers that aren’t as focused on enabling this type of culture and mindset, but instead focus on just getting the job done well. This is good, but not the Health Catalyst Way, and it has led to a ton of variation across the company as we’ve expanded and undergone reorganizations. When you join the company or are moved, you just have to hope that you’ll be lucky with this lack of consistency. Ultimately, this is what makes recommending this company to colleagues somewhat difficult.

-The company operating principle of Transparency is not pervasively accepted and understood by management outside of the executive level. Despite the constant request for Transparency in all team meetings by Dan, team members can easily lose long-term trust and credibility among peers and direct managers if they are open and honest about any type of process or problem within the organization. Some don't always assume positive intent in relation to team member actions, especially managers, which leads to an unsafe environment for many team members. Lower and middle managers do not take the same approach as the CEO does in "erring in favor of the team member." This lack of consistency leads to disincentivizing true transparency and removing the benefits thereof.

-There is a lot of confusion around PTO policies considering the need to be efficient as a services company. "Unlimited PTO" is not actually honored across the company, as the Analytics Services Organization has communicated a required average of 6 client-billable hours per day, or 30 hours per week, over the course of the entire year *including* all vacations. This discrepancy is not openly discussed, and the company continues to advertise "Unlimited PTO" as a widely-accepted benefit available to all team members, which is clearly not true. The PTO policy is good, but it is not as advertised, and there’s a lot of team members that don’t take time off out of fear and a desire to show complete commitment to the company and its mission.

-Partially due to the variation in management styles and priorities across the company mentioned above, focusing on fully adopting the company attributes and operating principles can lead to your job/career path being chosen for you. Expressing a desire to be a team player and putting in the time and effort to do things the right way can make you vulnerable to being entirely at the will of your manager or departmental priorities for extended periods of time without much added value for your own career, passions, and aspirations. Routinely and strongly expressing career goals is sometimes misconstrued as being selfish and not focusing on company/client needs.

-Job descriptions often don’t usually come close to the actual job responsibilities after being hired. This is to be expected and understandable to some extent with a “startup”, but Health Catalyst has grown to the point where that might not be an acceptable reason anymore. Also, much of what I’ve experienced and heard about this issue has been related to actual job responsibilities being far less compelling, intellectually-stimulating, and beneficial to career skill development for individual team members than indicated in interviews and said job descriptions. As a result, many team members become quickly overqualified and underutilized within their teams and must start looking for work elsewhere in order to develop relevant skills and competencies within their respective field.

-Many team members deal with separate HR and field managers that make it difficult, and sometimes seemingly impossible, to effectively align priorities and fully understand team member performance. This creates many disconnects and expected miscommunications that lead to reduced team member satisfaction. It also makes it difficult for team members to know who they need to be discussing concerns with depending on which manager is more proactive, despite intended stewardship. This disparate organization leads to a team member having to rely on a game of behind-the-scenes telephone when it comes to performance reviews and potential merit increases.

-Pay has been a tenuous issue since implementing Radford data into salary decisions, but salaries are still not on par with the inflated real estate prices within reasonable commuting distance of company headquarters.

Advice to Management

-Refine job descriptions and be honest about the nature of job responsibilities instead of deceptively drawing in overqualified candidates.

-Make a more concerted and concentrated effort to instill Dan Burton’s constant emphasis on the Health Catalyst Way *and* erring in favor of the team member in all levels of management. Understanding its Dan Burton’s job to remember these priorities isn’t enough to ensure turnover within the company remains exceptionally low as the company grows.

-Better train and prepare managers, specifically HR managers, to become their direct reports’ biggest advocates and supporters if you truly want to ensure a culture of trust and transparency.

-Be more judicious and invested in determining and developing HR managers that fully embrace and understand the Health Catalyst Way in all their decision-making.

-Improve training on what the operating principle of Transparency really entails, for all team members, and continue to work on removing bias based on transparent opinions and suggestions, especially among upper- and mid-level management.

-Align or merge HR and field manager responsibilities to create more fluid and open communication between team members and both managers. At least make performance reviews more transparent considering the secondhand information sometimes being passed around without the team member’s knowledge or understanding.

-Solidify the PTO policy across each department and team and clearly communicate that policy to every team member or potential team member in job descriptions and initial discussions with candidates. Be transparent about how the policy impacts each team member and encourage better communication from team members regarding when and where they need to report potential PTO requests to ensure all client responsibilities are addressed appropriately.

-Better synchronize pay with rising real estate costs.

"Best job I have had in a long time"

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked in a lot of organizations (large/small, for-profit/not-for-profit, old/young...) and have managed to collect plenty of scar tissue over the years (and gray hair) throughout my career (largely in technology). As a result, I have seen a lot of leadership teams, strategies (or lack thereof), markets, visions...I have never been more excited about the future than now with Health Catalyst. That is not to say there are no challenges (see cons response). However, what I is increasingly impressive is the leadership determination to live and teach the culture. I have never had more confidence in a leadership team. Typical challenges of being a fast growing company: learning to plan AND be nimble, learning to identify new opportunities AND focus, learning to sustain a culture AND make refinements as needed, learning to help clients be successful AND develop a sustainable economic relationship, learning to find AND develop AND retain great talent.

Cons

Team members who don't really embrace the cultural values: humble, hungry, and smart. Fortunately, there are very few such team members and leadership seems determined to either help people learn the cultures or find opportunities elsewhere where the culture might fight them better.

Advice to Management

Stay the course on the culture, particularly humble, hungry, and smart. It will pay off. Keep wrestling with the polarities. Tough work, but I am impressed with how you are leading.

Nov 30, 2018 – CEO

Thank you for your comments and for your confidence and support. I appreciate it. And thank you for choosing to join us, and bring your wealth of experience with you. We will remain focused on the... More

6. "Great Place"

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Imagine a Software Engineer. We all recognize that Engineers do not need to physically be in a building next to their manager. There is no chain and there is no whip cracking in the back. The organization is built in such a way that they hire "Professionals" and not the ones that "EVERYONE" says they hire. This means that people have REAL accountability and that they are given REAL responsibilities. This means that can have flexible schedules, they can work in other time zones and most importantly nobody needs to watch over others. This means productivity can be concentrated to productivity.
    The company provides benefits that are unique, like home office. Paying for Internet and cellular devices. Pay for remote collaboration tools. This isnt limited to just work things, but also give employees money to enjoy in company wide activities like movie nights and carnivals. The company days off are as much as a government department and there is unlimited PTO. In other words you have no problems getting time you need to step away.
    Another benefit is that the management is very open and transparent. They give you options, the give you the direct information about the company. Basically they tell you what they know and what they are facing, good and bad. Not something that people see often in other places.

Cons

The biggest problem I have seen have been the health care plans. There is a 20% co pay that I have not ever had to pay. Maybe this is part of health care plans in the past few years. To give you an idea, my kid was born in 2016 with a different provider and it "cost" the hospital 18K. It cost us 1800 altogether with my previous job. With the new health insurance here, its going to cost 3600, so almost double. Ultimately if you are facing medical bills like babies, make sure you can cover it. I feel like it offsets, but its still something that is different that I did not anticipate fully.
    The ONLY other thing I can complain about is the career path. The path you can go is management and thats it. Sure you can stay as a developer but nice you reach the top developer after 5 years, there is nothing left for you but management. Maybe a look at breath in a particular job might be good. Considering the company is still a smaller software company this is a common problem and is interesting to see how it will be solved.

Advice to Management

You guys know what you are doing, keep growing and keep being awesome.

Nov 9, 2018 – CEO

I really appreciate your feedback, and am happy to hear of the positives your are experiencing as a senior software engineer. Your role is so critical to the company's future success, so it is... More

"Upward trending organization that continues to have growing pains"

Current Employee - Director of Analytics in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Director of Analytics in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The organization has the strongest culture that I have ever been part of. When you begin working at HealthCatalyst the cultural aspects seem to good to be true - but it is not. It took me almost 6 months to realize our company really believes in transparency.

The work we do is extremely rewarding and the long hours and travel are offset by mission and caliber of coworkers you work alongside.

When you raise a concern with management you feel heard, if they are unable to assist you are told why.

Benefits are the best I have had in my 10+ year career and continue to improve.

Cons

Work life balance has been almost non existent the last several months. A lack of planning for large scale implementations and lack of new hiring have led to resources booking 2-3x the recommended hours for weeks to months on end.

I have had new hires express to me that the cadence of the work was not what they were led to believe when they were hired on, I have assured them that we are flexing up and that this isn't the norm but it has been harder and harder to convey that message.

Relief has been around the corner for some time and lately this has been the case. It feels that management is listening and adjusting based on the above feedback but I don't want to lose sight of the risk these situations put us in with talent retention and job satisfaction.

I worry when some of our most tenured resources choose to leave HC, even though our overall turnover rate is below industry standards when individuals who have been here 4-6 years it is hard not to wonder if they see something that I do not.

The company operates as two entities - technology and professional services. There are efforts to integrate and cross pollinate info but some of these efforts have fallen flat. Each iteration of the platform offers a multitude of new features but there is a disconnect with the field team who has to recommend those solutions. An internal NPI like rollout would be incredibly helpful where we show off what new features are available and use cases that highlight that feature.

Advice to Management

We need a better integration of technology and services. New features are being developed but they are not pushed out in such a way that allows already taxed service resources to stay up to date and properly guide clients on what features will be a value add. This may be easier moving forward as client work loads are adjusted but current state it feels like we are missing a huge opportunity for the biggest advocates of the platform to be the services org. A 60 minute webinar doesn't seem to be working.

Continue to monitor hiring practices in the services org. We can't be reactive to trends and need to have some bench to avoid burning out tenured individuals and scaring off new hires. Projects should be staffed appropriately day one to avoid shifting resources.

Nov 30, 2018 – CEO

Thank you for sharing these detailed and well-organized and reasoned thoughts. They are resonant with me, and consistent with feedback we receive elsewhere. Let me address a couple of the themes... More

"Troubling future ahead if corrections aren't made"

I worked at Health Catalyst full-time

Pros

The pay and benefits were good and I enjoyed working with some of the people. I enjoyed the team parties that we had every so often.

Cons

The company is too remote and I didn't feel like I was a part of a team. Many people work from home and the only interaction with the team is during a 15 min standup meeting. There's less a feeling of connectedness and collaboration with your team when all of your work is done remotely. A major part of a great workplace is being able to interact with great people. When you get stuck doing Webex/Slack meetings as the majority of your interaction, it really eats away at that "Great Workplace".

While working at the company I felt there was a real lack of diversity in the way people think. It very much feels like it's a yes person culture, and if you are an outside thinker you'll experience issues here. On several occasions I brought up concerns I had with the way an implementation was going or with the performance of a product, and most concerns I felt were ignored.

At Health Catalyst, I don't feel like you can bring up alternative views/designs without causing problems. The best way to describe how things are done is with the word groupthink. Instead of providing critical feedback on ideas, people tend to just build on top of ideas that haven't been thoroughly explored.

If you try to provide alternative ideas during a discussion others will think you're trying to sabotage others. I've read through other reviews, and I'm glad I wasn't the only person who has experienced this. One review that I really connected with was the following:
    "Another contributing factor that is discussed around the watercooler is the overly submissive yes-person culture created by the over-emphasis on "humility" as a core value. Bad ideas thrive in this environment because few challenge ideas."

While the company may be doing well on the analytic side I feel they are struggling on the web development side. There seems to be a real lack of knowledge in how to use the tech stack chosen which has lead some projects to becoming quite brittle and fragile. These are very young projects(under 3 years) and it left me worried with how much tech debt they had already accrued. My worry is that many of these projects will be slow to adjust to clients needs/wants because of the poor design decisions or lack thereof.

I'd also noticed that many people were leaving the company around the time that I left, and that should be concerning for management. While the pay and benefits are good, they aren't enough to keep me where engineers can't feel safe to provide critical feedback and when the company has a questionable future with web apps.

Nov 9, 2018 – CEO

Thank you for sharing this feedback. One of the positives of responding directly to each Glassdoor review, for me as the CEO, is that it is one way to stay connected to "unfiltered" feedback, which... More

9. "SVP"

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Health Catalyst is an innovative company that encourages "out of the box" thinking. The intellectual capital in the organization is striking compared to other organizations where I have served. Our technology platform out performs all our competitors and our mission is strong and sincere.

Cons

Travel is heavy and much of the staff works remotely across the nation. There is little day-to-day interaction compared to more traditional health care environments

Nov 9, 2018 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback, and I agree with your enthusiasm for the innovation at Health Catalyst, and for the qualification of the team members who have chosen to join and stay at Health Catalyst... More

10. "Great Company, Platform Team is Completely Out of Touch of Products and Clients Needs"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Health Catalyst full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company as a whole is fantastic, the mission is great. Work - life balance is perfect.

Cons

The platform team (which all products depend on) is completely out of touch with the needs of the actual product teams and the clients needs. They operate under one person's agenda who doesn't seem to care or listen to actual needs. Internal support (which again is under the platform) is virtually non-existent and takes days if not weeks to address critical issues, meaning the clients can't use the software. There is no sense of urgency or care. There is no communication from platform and they are EXTREMELY difficult to work with and any request or need is met with attitude and push back.
     All of this is evident in the dissatisfaction of many current clients. The constant attempts of re-org in the team have only hurt, and will continue to hurt and hinder the ability of the product teams to produce quality software, and deliver reliable support and issue resolution. There is so much red tape and bottle necks when something goes down you have to rely on one guy and his schedule to get into an environment to even begin to debug. They don't trust their own developers.
      The company has gone on apology tours rather than actually removed the road blocks and create a lean process and culture to get things done for the client.
    It's very frustrating to do your own job and then worry about your employment status when you raise issues or push back. Those people tend to be let go very quick.

Advice to Management

Fix the real issues, remove the internal road blocks. Way too much ego below Executives (C level is amazing)

Nov 9, 2018 – CEO

I appreciate you taking the time to share this feedback. I've read it a few times, and we will discuss this feedback together with our colleagues in technology leadership. As we do so, we'll have... More