Health Catalyst Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 9, 2017

Full-timePart-time

4.7

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/Life balance is very important (in 35 reviews)

• Health Catalyst has a motivating mission paired with a terrific culture which attracts top-notch employees (in 61 reviews)

Cons
  • I expect anyone unaccustomed to that rapid type of change would not be very happy at Health Catalyst (in 27 reviews)

• Work-life balance varies greatly between teams (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Mission-Driven and Team-Member Focused"

Current Employee - Team Member in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Team Member in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Health Catalyst has a soul. The company exists to be an enabler of massive outcomes improvement in healthcare. That is a mission worth contributing to every single day. The leadership team has focused on creating a best place to work for all team members, and consistently demonstrates this commitment through their actions. Two months ago after the leadership team reviewed our semi-annual Gallup team member engagement survey results (the company uses Gallup to survey team members, and every people manager's bonus is tied to maintaining industry-leading engagement--and the company consistently scores in the 98th or 99th percentile) they highlighted a pattern of feedback from team members about the remote team member experience. So they held a small-group discussion where they invited anyone at the company who would like to attend to come and talk about what's working and not working for remote team members. Within two weeks they introduced new policies addressing and improving a few of the more significant challenges. They have followed this same process dozens of times, making many changes that improved the team member experience.

Cons

The leadership team has chosen to follow a consensus-oriented decision making approach for company-wide, strategic decisions. The upside of this approach is that the leadership team rarely makes a bad decision. But the downside is that they take longer than some management teams to come to a decision. As the company scales, I believe the decision making approach will need to evolve towards more delegated decision making and trust towards the functional leads to make the right calls.

Also, a strength at Health Catalyst is that we feel like a family--team members feel that the leadership genuinely cares about them, and there is a stated policy to give team members who have had a performance problem a second chance. This produces some incredible turnaround successes and deep loyalty and commitment. It's probably one of the reasons the voluntary turnover rate is so low (3-4% per year). However, there is downside to this approach--sometimes the performance issues don't get corrected, and it takes longer to resolve these performance problems. I think the company can evolve this approach to move through the second-chance process more rapidly and then rely on offering a generous severance package when the second chance didn't work, but move more quickly.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on scaling outcomes improvement, including a low-touch model where the right data in the right hands at a client leads to improvements, without a heavy, long process. Also, keep the focus on creating and maintaining a 'best place to work' by working every day to continuously improve the experience. Your efforts are appreciated and they are making a positive difference!

Mar 24, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for your thoughtful review, and I agree with several of the common threads that exist within your post. Health Catalyst does indeed have a soul. It is the sum of our collective decisions... More

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Data Analyst
    Current Employee - Data Analyst

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I appreciate the desire to become a best place to work, promote work/life balance, and supply great benefits to employees. At the core of it all, the focus on the mission is what gets me excited for work every day.

Cons

It's difficult to find cons. I feel lucky to be part of this organization.

"Fantastic place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Data Architect in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Data Architect in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Mission driven organization
    -Very open and honest culture from the top down
    -Option of onsite or remote work-space
    -Manageable workload
    -Education reimbursement, can also be used for industry conferences
    -6% 401k matching and yearly stock grants
    -Onsite snacks and soda
    -12-week paid paternity/maternity leave
    -Management open to and encourages movement within the company
    -Great benefits, with no cost increase in the past three years

Cons

-Typical start-up growing pains - semi-frequent reorganizations, people being voluntold into different roles/teams, etc.
    -Very limited mentoring in most positions

Advice to Management

-Hope the upcoming mentor program fills the gaps and meets the needs - especially for new hires
    -Revisit office location closer to Silicon Slopes or at least a satellite office in that area

Nov 7, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thanks very much for your review! I am excited about our new mentorship program that is rolling out this month, I hope you are taking advantage!

4. "Making a Difference in a Mission-Drive Organization"

Current Employee - Analytics Director in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Analytics Director in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've had the privilege of working for very mission-driven organizations in the past. I love coming to work and having a clear purpose. I can honestly say that I've felt more closely tied into the Health Catalyst mission than any other company that I've ever worked at. It's not that the previous companies didn't have clear missions - they truly did, but I feel more like I have the ability to contribute the Catalyst mission.

Some of the things that I love about my job:

Flexibility - I can do my job in the office or at home or other remote locations - as long as I stay effective then it doesn't matter where I am.

No Micromanagement - I have information, tools, and help to do my job and I'm allowed to do it in a way that encourages creativity and helps me to simultaneously learn.

Uncomfortable, in a good way - I have been at Health Catalyst for years and have always felt just the right level of support from my colleagues and managers, but that healthy level of uncomfortable that is a sign I'm always learning and growing. I've been given tasks and assignments that have truly challenged and continue to challenge me...and I like that. I get encouragement and help along the way but I get the pressure to deliver and deliver quality as well. Great opportunities for growth for nearly 4 years now of my employment! It looks to me like that will continue for years and years to come because Healthcare needs a lot of help and we'll continue to be challenged to make it better.

Stellar Leadership - Our Executive team is comprised of really good folks that I like and trust. Not everything is sunny and perfect all of the time but challenges are communicated transparently and we work as a company to solve them. It is awesome to see leadership not as just people in positions but true leaders that I can look up to and learn from.

Excellent Pay and Benefits - Health Catalyst definitely looks out for the their employees and is always looking for ways to make employment at HC a better experience. Since I started years ago I've only had more benefits heaped on and I was already happy back then. That's a great trend! I've been rewarded for working hard and doing my best to add value to what we do and it only makes me want to work even harder and add more value. I think this strategy of over-investing in employees really pays off and results in much more engaged employees, a better place to work, and a more successful organization overall.

Focus on Employee attributes of Smart, Hard-working, and Humble - Because this is paramount in our hiring, I get to work alongside the best of the best. An honest focus on those attributes has attracted the best talent and that is one of the reasons I learn everyday in my job. I work with the best in the industry and those that are willing to share their knowledge and talents. This cannot be overstated - my co-workers are the best part about my job. They are people I genuinely like, trust, and respect. It makes work fun and very rewarding.

Cons

I'm obviously a fan of the company and love working at Catalyst so I don't have a lot of cons to share but here are some thoughts:

Growing pains - There has been significant company growth since I started my employment. Some processes have to scale and change as that growth occurs. The company used to have a small company feel where everyone knows each other but that has noticeably and understandably dissipated and I miss it. This also means strategic reorganizations to keep our departments manageable and align ourselves better with changing markets. This results in undergoing a lot of change in a short amount of time. Rapid change is difficult and can be confusing at times. Things always turn out well when the dust settles but things do get quite dusty from time to time. I expect anyone unaccustomed to that rapid type of change would not be very happy at Health Catalyst. I understand it's necessity so I always adapt and try to do my part to make it work, so I've learned to adjust to it and more importantly to just expect it.

Advice to Management

Please continue to be transparent to employees as you have in the past. That transparency communicates your trust in us as employees and garners in return our trust to you.

Nov 7, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for your well thought out and comprehensive review, and I agree that we have experienced a lot of rapid change this year. I really appreciate the collective efforts of our team members in... More

5. "Genuinely a great place to work"

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Positive impact, transparent leadership, great benefits, focus on whole life wellbeing

Cons

Can feel cultish and like the marketing sometimes leads the tech

Advice to Management

Keep doing what it takes to keep and recruit the best technical employees.

Nov 7, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thanks so much for your review, agree we need the best team members that we can find!

"Overall, the best company I have ever worked for, but still room for improvement"

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Health Catalyst has excellent benefits including: 401K, good health insurance, HSA contributions, bonus structure, snacks and drinks provided, training opportunities, onsite gym, or gym membership reimbursement, other business related reimbursements, etc... There are honestly too many to enumerate.

I have worked at many companies that talked about operating principles or cultural attributes, but usually it was just a paragraph on the website or a plaque on the wall. However, at Health Catalyst, employees are actually rewarded for following the operating principles and are led to do so by an upper management team that holds themselves accountable to those same standards.

When I hired on, I thought all this stuff sounds great, but I was skeptical based on my years of experience at other places. I didn't write a review right away, because I wanted to see how the company actually conducted itself and now, I am very impressed.

It is incredibly encouraging and empowering to know that when our CEO says, "we value transparency," he actually means it. When he says, "we value ownership" we get to see him demonstrate it by example. In nearly 20 years of professional software development, I have never seen a senior management team actually care about their employees, conduct themselves with integrity, or manage to create and foster such a wonderful company culture. Additionally, many of these positive examples have come during periods of difficulty or less than ideal circumstances.

Employees are encouraged to enact change from the bottom up, which provides us with the opportunity to identify problems, propose solutions, get the help from our peers and enact the solutions with the blessing of the folks above us.

Cons

While there are amazing examples of brilliance throughout the various groups doing software development, the belief that high quality software will be written from the bottom up has created some problems. Because Health Catalyst values intelligent hard working people, most of the software written in each section of the company is generally quite good. However, there has been a fairly substantial lack of overall architectural design for how all these separate pieces will fit together. Additionally, many teams opted for hiring more developers instead of bringing on product owners and that has created many situations where there are several talented people working on project without a lot of clear direction.

Recently many of the issues that have led us to this point have begun to be addressed, however, it is going to take some time to realign.

Advice to Management

In general, keep doing what you have been doing. However, I believe there would be tremendous value in aligning the software development teams more efficiently, both in terms of standards, tools, architecture, accountability, but more importantly in terms of vision, purpose, and focus.

Oct 26, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for your thoughtful comments and specific review items. I agree with your comments, and also feel optimistic about the changes we have enacted over the past several months to more deeply... More

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior BI Developer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior BI Developer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company has the best culture of any company I've ever worked with. They strive to improve and hold humbleness in the highest regard. They treat their employees fairly and have great benefits and compensation programs.

Cons

I would say the only con is that it is a smaller, growing company so some areas are less organized. And, being flexible is a must in that time of a company.

Advice to Management

I would love for my group (APR) to be more integrated with peers in the corporate office.

Oct 26, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Hey there Minnesota! Love you guys out there in APR!

I know your group would love to feel more integrated, and we want you to be as well. I am hopeful that you are feeling the efforts here, and... More

"Love it, love it, love it"

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company really walks its talk. Love working here.

Cons

Can't think of one thing.

Advice to Management

Be careful we don't become the cobler's child - we seem to be more determined to get our clients off Excel than we are.

Oct 26, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thank you very much. I love working here too!

"Better and Better every Quarter"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, great leadership, good chance to move around, great wellness initiatives, overall the best company I've ever worked for. They really care about their employees and put them first. Work/Life balance is very important.

Cons

I'm a remote employee and often times feel a little outside the happenings. They are taking steps to improve this, however.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing. I'm always impressed with your leadership, from the top down!

Oct 26, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thank you very much! Much appreciated!

"Great company to work for"

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The leadership team really stick to their operating principles, including transparency - an important one for me. Love working for a company who's mission is to make improvements in the healthcare industry which in turn should improve peoples' lives. Love my co-workers and how well we work together. We can work from home as much as we like. We have opportunities to learn and develop our careers. To top it all we have unlimited pto and we are trusted to be responsible with it

Cons

I don't know. We've just been through a major reorg and although I trust it was the best thing to do, I think we are still waiting for the dust to settle to make sure we are all still on the best path.

Advice to Management

Please keep sticking to those operating principles!

Oct 26, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thank you so much for your comments, and I will say that I most appreciated your comment in your "cons" section where you stated, "I trust it was the best thing to do". Achieving... More