Health Catalyst Reviews

57 Comments

Tech

206.3K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Health Catalyst~746219
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great benefits and that is about all that is good about Health Catalyst (HC)(in 117 reviews)
  • "He seems genuine and I believe he wants the best for the team members.(in 97 reviews)
  • "Leadership is transparent and wants to help you to succeed.(in 66 reviews)
  • "Great culture, I feel comfortable asking for a one on one discussion with any of the leadership.(in 47 reviews)
  • "Great people and product.(in 44 reviews)
Cons
  • "There is no way to change your direct manager if you end up in a team of micro(in 16 reviews)
  • "Everyone is stressed and it does come out in middle management as it rolls down hill.(in 11 reviews)
  • "Employees are entitled (get over the 401K match) and some do the minimum to get by(in 8 reviews)
  • "orgs have made career path and work responsibilities a little unclear (roles evolving, and unsure if evolving in the way specific employees hoped/anticipated)(in 6 reviews)
  • "They claim that we have flexible PTO but in the recent team meeting they clarified it to say a minimum of 10 days (does not include company holidays) and team members are to fall between 10 days to 17 days PTO a year.(in 5 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Health Catalyst and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Amazing

May 18, 2022 - Analytics Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very transparent and makes an effort to have a great employee experience.

Cons

Large company with many remote makes it hard to network and meet people.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Absolutely Best Work Choice Ever!

May 17, 2022 - Senior Data Architect
    Business Outlook

Pros

I am a "seasoned" IT resource. I have worked for multiple fortune 500 companies, all of whom claimed to be employee centered. Not a single one can stand beside HCAT on employee centeredness. Their benefits, PTO, stock grants and most importantly genuine concern and care for their human resources are not matched within the IT industry. I recommend this company as THE place to work for their family, balance and professional growth.

Cons

I know they are actively trying to raise base pay. I trust them to do this despite being public and so insanely generous on the benefits (3 days off for the 4th of July Holiday) package. If you really would evaluate the entire package it far exceeds other companies.

3. 5.0

Great Company

May 3, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Leadership is great and look to take care of their people. Excellent business processes throughout the company.

Cons

Pay is not in line with the industry and the stock price has been tanking lately.

CEO

Thank you for your review and feedback, and for your contributions for the past 1-2 years! We'll keep working on strengthening cash compensation and benefits, which makes it more possible to take a longer-term view of equity compensation. I'm sorry also about the challenges that we (and many other publicly traded companies) are facing regarding reduced stock prices, meaningfully impacted by macroeconomic factors like inflation. We'll talk about this at length in today's All Team Member meeting -- what this means, and what we're doing to manage through this current macroeconomic storm. We've weathered past macro economic storms, like those in 2008, 2011, 2015, 2017, 2020 and 2021, and we'll weather this and future storms as well. Thank you again for your contributions! Best, Dan

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Incredible Company

May 5, 2022 - Analytics Engineer in South Jordan, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing work-life balance and great autonomy in work.

Cons

Slower career progression than expected

CEO

Thank you for your review and feedback, and thank you for 5+ years of contribution! I am sorry that your career progression has been slower than expected. We'll keep working on this important area. Best, Dan

5. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good Company

May 16, 2022 - Data Engineer in South Jordan, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible Time Off 401k Great Healthcare benefits

Cons

Stagnant compensation along with isolated work conditions.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee

Fantastic employer!

Apr 18, 2022 - Product Implementation Consultant
    Business Outlook

Pros

Generous benefits Caring leadership Focus on work-life balance Competitive salary

Cons

No company is perfect, but… struggling to come up with a con!

CEO

Thank you for your review and positive feedback -- we'll strive to live up to it! Best, Dan

7. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Clarification of PTO doesn't align to industry standards

Apr 8, 2022 - Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Decently transparent, executives seem to care about employees.

Cons

Executives seem to be out of touch in regards to what the industry standard is in PTO. They claim that we have flexible PTO but in the recent team meeting they clarified it to say a minimum of 10 days (does not include company holidays) and team members are to fall between 10 days to 17 days PTO a year. This does not align with the industry standard of tech giants nor the local tech companies. On average, the tech industry offers 20-25 days PTO on top of holidays. Some team members are being micromanaged somewhat in regards to how much PTO they are taking and it would be nice if executive leadership would reevaluate how much a team member should typically take as long as they are getting their work done. Just because someone on the same team decides to take the minimum PTO shouldn't mean others on the team can't take more.

7 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thank you for your review and feedback, and for your contributions in the critical role of software engineer these past 3+ years. I apologize for confusion caused by our recent communications regarding PTO time. In response to multiple team member requests to please share a "minimum" PTO that we would like every team member to always take, so that team members who struggle or feel guilty taking time off would feel strongly supported and encouraged to do so, we shared the recent communication update that we recommend a "minimum" of 28 days off per year, or just over 5 1/2 weeks between PTO and company holidays. Our benchmarking highlighted that Health Catalyst has quite a few more company holidays than most other tech companies, by approximately one week, and we also wanted to highlight flexibility that if the company holiday doesn't work as well as another day for a team member to take off, we support this. The 5 1/2 weeks was the "minimum" we wanted to communicate, and we've also shared this guideline with every people manager so that they can encourage every team member to take this time off at a minimum, in the spirit of encouraging balance and sustainability. We also communicated our support for team members to take meaningfully more than this time off, and even an expectation that it would be typical for team members to take more like 6 1/2 to 7 weeks off, total, between company holidays and additional PTO time, and still be in a strong position to meet all their work deliverables. Further, in our communication we shared support for "flexible" PTO as needed beyond this amount for special circumstances, where team members can work with their managers, with no additional approvals required beyond the team member and their direct supervisor. Our most recent benchmarking data suggested this "time off" range fell meaningfully in the "above market" category for this benefit component, which is our objective for all our benefits. I hope this further clarification is helpful. We'll emphasize the "flexibility" part in today's All Team Member meeting, and our support for team members to take meaningfully more than the "minimum", absolutely. Thanks again for your review and feedback. Best, Dan

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

I dig it

Mar 29, 2022 - General Administrative
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very mission-driven company with an inspiring CEO who genuinely wants to improve healthcare for every patient in the world and works hard with investors to protect the best interests of team members.

Cons

Still working on diversity. I'm not on the leadership team, so I don't know exactly how this is going these days, but, historically, decisions have been made by consensus, which I don't think is the best way to make decisions with such a huge leadership team.

CEO

Thank you for your review and feedback, and for your 8+ years of contribution and dedication to Health Catalyst. I appreciate your kind words, and also your feedback about how we make decisions at a leadership level. We are working, as we scale and grow, to delegate more and more decision making to the leaders closest to the work at hand, and we'll keep working to make this happen. Best, Dan

9. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Good company

Apr 12, 2022 - Technical Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great work-life balance. New and challenging tasks, great teammates, good benefits, Strong corporate culture, fair pay

Cons

Can't really think of anything

CEO

Thank you for your review and for all your contributions as a Tech Director these past six years. Such a critical role and such important work you lead! Best, Dan

10. 5.0

Grass is still green

Mar 10, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've been at Health Catalyst for over 1yr now and still love it. While reading other reviews, I think it's important to keep in mind that Health Catalyst is a very large company with multiple departments, business units, products, and teams. Those with negative experiences don't necessarily have the same experience as others. This review is based only on my experience. Team Members (employees) are treated with respect and rewarded/prioritized above all else. I've never been at a company with this kind of a culture at the very top. Health Catalyst has always been very transparent. Team members know at all times what is going on without worrying or guessing. Benefits and perks are excellent. PTO is certainly unlimited and untracked and only requires manager approval. Any reviewer that states otherwise should probably contact People Operations (HR) to have a discussion with their direct manager. I've never seen anyone have an issue taking PTO - even last-minute or internationally. It's fantastic being able to take an extended lunch with my family or go to an appointment during the day and not worry about missing work or having to use PTO. Additionally, my PTO has never been rejected, and I feel like I truly can take it whenever. Family health insurance is very cheap and very good. While I may be the exception, I've experience incredible growth opportunities. Everyone is professional and trust-worthy to get the work done and I haven't seen any micro-managers, slackers, or suck-ups. I have had two direct managers and both have been excellent! Each subsequent manager is better than the last; supportive, transparent, and professional.

Cons

While I definitely appreciate the RSU compensation, it can be disappointing at times because it's tied to the volatility of the market, however I really believe the value will increase long term. Base salaries for existing team members are currently lower than the current market rate. I'm very hopeful that the 2022 Radford market salaries will be accurate and result in some higher base salaries. While other benefits are also important, base salaries result in more immediate liquidity. Slightly increased corporateness. Formal annual career planning was suddenly implemented with a lot of semi-unrelated "busy work" questions instead of deliberately thoughtful and consolidated questions. This makes me a little nervous about any forthcoming performance framework.

3 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thank you for your review and feedback, and for choosing to join Health Catalyst a year ago. I appreciate all the positives you shared, and we'll work to keep reinforcing those elements around PTO, servant leadership, keeping team members at the center of the flywheel, transparency, etc. I also appreciate that we can keep improving our annual career planning process -- I agree with this. We also will keep striving to get accurate benchmarking data on base salaries in particular, so that we can work to continuously keep our commitment to team members to pay at or above market across every position and every functional area. Best, Dan

Viewing 1 - 10 of 553 Reviews

Health Catalyst Reviews FAQs

Health Catalyst has an overall rating of 4.4 out of 5, based on over 597 reviews left anonymously by employees. 90% of employees would recommend working at Health Catalyst to a friend and 87% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -2% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Health Catalyst employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.3 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Health Catalyst. This rating has decreased by -7% over the last 12 months.

90% of Health Catalyst employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Health Catalyst 4.5 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.7 for culture and values and 4.1 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Health Catalyst to be management, senior leadership, benefits and the cons to be compensation, career development.

Popular Careers with Health Catalyst Job Seekers