HealthStream Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at HealthStream

2.6

Sort:

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at HealthStream (Nashville, TN) in March 2017.

Interview

Connected via recruiter, received an interview through a follow-up email, interviewed on-site with two supervisors and had a very pleasant, casual interview experience that allowed me to showcase my strengths.

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HealthStream (Nashville, TN) in April 2013.

Interview

I met with the intern coordinator and another senior employee. The interview was very casual and took maybe only half an hour. They offered me a position before I left the building.

Interview Questions

• What my prior experience in the healthcare industry was like   Answer Question
    • What kinds of projects I would be interested in working on during the internship   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HealthStream.

Interview

Phone call with the intern coordinator and assistant; went over resume and a couple of very brief technical questions. Nothing too serious and not very hard; everyone involved was very nice and easygoing

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HealthStream in June 2015.

Interview

Start to finish, it was 2 weeks. Each interviewer genuinely expressed their happiness with the company. Good questions were asked. I was able to meet a total of 5 department members in the process.

Interview Questions

• General experience questions as it related to the role.   Answer Question

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at HealthStream (Nashville, TN) in May 2009.

Interview

Phone interview
    In person/group interview

Interview Questions

• If you had to eliminate one of the 50 states, which one would it be...I'm looking for you to think out loud so I can assess how you approach the solution.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate additional time off (preplanned vacation that coincided with starting month).

Senior .NET Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at HealthStream (Nashville, TN) in June 2014.

Interview

Initial application was easy. This company takes resumes via e-mail.

I was then contacted with a questionnaire in the form of a .doc file. These were typical questions that one might more easily answer in a phone interview.

After answering and returning the questionnaire document, I was abruptly and unexpectedly dropped from candidacy. No explanation or follow-up was given, even after requesting feedback. I can only guess as to why.

Interview Questions

• The questionnaire asked for code that I found to be particularly satisfying or interesting. No company that I have worked for would ever release their proprietary work-for-hire code to another company, or allow their employees to retain it after leaving.   1 Answer

Senior Applications Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at HealthStream (Nashville, TN) in August 2014.

Interview

Jumped through all of the hoops, but then the interview was cancelled right before I was to arrive with no additional information. Regretting that I spent time I didn't want to spend on their coding assessment, since they didn't even explain why the interview was cancelled. A coding assessment of that nature is something that should be done in-person, not as a requirement to even be considered for an interview.

I'm turned off by the whole process.

Interview Questions

• How much coding do you believe an architect should be doing as part of his role?   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HealthStream (Nashville, TN) in May 2012.

Interview

Healthstream did a thorough job of interviewing. I think they allow specific teammates too much influence on the hiring process versus just trusting their functional manager's opinion and trusting industry best practice skill sets to prevail.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate and would suggest doing so. If you are a good candidate then you should be paid market rate via Atlanta GA rates as Nashville is artificially depressed on salaries due to the over abundance of nurses and non-technical majors being hired into technical positions.

Senior Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HealthStream (Nashville, TN) in July 2013.

Interview

I've debated about sharing my experience but after hearing from a friend about yet another experience consistent with the rest, I will share. I was contacted by a recruiter and filled out the "questionnaire." Then I did a first round in-person interview with four team leads and was asked some offbeat questions about .NET frameworks, design principles, and theory. I too then got the "take home coding assignment" with the authentication framework, data model, and unit testing and even verified it worked, yet they decided to pass on doing a "final round" interview with what I found out would have been with almost a dozen(!!) team members.

The recruiter told me they hire new senior developers every 12 to 18 months. That sounds about right. Given that five different firms wanted to submit me over to HealthStream, I believe there is at best some miscommunication between the company and the firms about what the position really does.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between .NET 4.0 and .NET 4.5? Complete this sentence: some people prefer _____ over abstraction. And why is that the case?   1 Answer

Senior Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at HealthStream (Nashville, TN) in January 2013.

Interview

I initially applied for a Senior Developer role online, and was contacted by email within a day or two by an HR Recruitment Consultant. I reached out to him via phone and had a brief but cordial discussion regarding my background, why I was looking to relocate, why I was looking to enter another industry (healthcare), etc. It was a very pleasant experience. Afterwards, he sent me the official application and a fairly in-depth questionnaire asking six questions. None of the questions were difficult but a good candidate answers them in a detailed manner. That took 2 days, mostly to complete the application.

After the Recruitment Consultant emailed my files to the Hiring Manager, I received word back from him 5 days later that the Hiring Manager was impressed with my questionnaire responses. I figured at that point that I'd be able to do an in-person interview to get an idea what the salary range, relo assistance (if any), specific day-to-day tasking would be like, etc. Instead, I was asked to complete a lengthy technical exercise that involved the creation of a user authentication solution.

This was not hard, especially since I already have a very good one on my own site and could reuse some of the code. The turnaround time was 2-3 days and, admittedly, I went way above and beyond what the exercise called for. However, this was again more time, and this project required me to use software that's only installed on my work system for a quick turnaround and an accurate result. (All of the other apps, like Visual Studio, I have on my own system.) I just couldn't justify that so the data model was not completed. The code solution was amazingly detailed, though. Any good developer could read through all of my comments to get a feel for how the provider model worked.

A week later I heard back from the Recruitment Consultant. Again, a great guy who took the time to say that they were pursuing other candidates. The only two things I can think of that were the problem was my location (I'd have to relocate) and the fact that I didn't submit a data model. It definitely wasn't the code, and quite frankly I felt like I was doing a homework assignment for a PhD candidate again. (If you've ever been in grad school in Computer Science, you know exactly what I mean!)

I partially blame myself for not asking what the salary range and relo benefits were up front, so that I didn't waste days of my time doing this assignment. There's no way I would have done any of this unless the pay was significantly above what other markets are paying. And I will definitely be asking about the entire interview process on any future positions in the healthcare industry.

In summary, I learned a lot throughout this process and regard it as one huge lesson learned.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you have mentored others on software topics.   Answer Question
    • Where do you see your career moving in a 1 to 3 year time frame?   Answer Question