HealthStream Reviews | Glassdoor

HealthStream Reviews

Updated December 1, 2017

Full-timePart-time

HealthStream Chairman, President, and CEO Robert A. Frist Jr.
Robert A. Frist Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Generally positive atmosphere with really great people as co-workers (in 8 reviews)

• casual dress code, flexible work hours and understanding managers, opportunities to work remotely, nice offices/common areas, fun company events (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance was always an issue (in 4 reviews)

• Terrible benefits- ONE week paid for maternity leave, no 401k match (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great Company to Work For"

I have been working at HealthStream full-time

Pros

Provides 401K, has benefits, great culture.

Cons

Pay is something to be desired-depending on your position.

Advice to Management

Recognize those that are your star employees and treat them as such. If you focus too much on the $$$ portion, you will lose them.

2. "Forward thinking company with an emphasis on innovation and collaboration"

I have been working at HealthStream full-time

Pros

Forward thinking company with an emphasis on innovation and collaboration. I was afraid having spent most of my professional life in small companies that the feeling being part of a team would be lost when I joined this growing company. To my pleasant surprise I found a strong emphasis on team work and all working to be creative and innovative to make the company not only a better business but a better place to work. I truly enjoy the work I do and the quality of the coworkers I work with each day.

Cons

I’m a cynical person by nature but truthfully I can’t find any real cons that aren’t the standard part of the work experience.

Advice to Management

Don't loose site of what makes us great, so far so good!

3. "Very Poor Communication and Training"

Current Employee - Patient Interviewer in East Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Patient Interviewer in East Nashville, TN

I have been working at HealthStream part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They offer 401(k) and PTO to part-time workers. The job is stressful but not physical labor.

Cons

The training is ineffective and not geared toward the job of Interviewer. There is very little communication with part-time staff in regards to who is in charge, if there are questions for new hires. Current employees don't know who is in charge on their shift either, especially on Saturdays. Part-timers have better stats than full-timers but PT staff aren't given the respect and the voice that the FT staff is given. Interviewers are call center people not medical staff so medical training (HCAHPs, HHCAHPs, etc) should be one day of training not the majority.

Advice to Management

Greet employees as they come in for their shift so they can see they have some support, should take 10 minutes out of the day. Mgmt should make rounds instead of sitting behind a desk all day and having people come to them with issues, act like they want to help by checking to see if anyone needs anything, post a monthly calendar of who is in charge and who is off so staff knows who to look for with questions. Situational training vs Medical training would make the interviewers more effective. Listening to what good calls sound like would be very helpful (even if they were fake for HIPAA compliance). Keep in mind that the majority of the people who work the 6p-10p shift are ADULTS who have other jobs in the day time and treat them with the respect adults deserve.

4. "Excellent Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Success Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Success Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at HealthStream full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

HealthStream cares about their employees and employees care about the company. I have worked at HealthStream for about 6 years now. I started as a remote employee moved to Nashville and then went back to being a remote employee. As a remote employee I feel included in the company and the culture of the company.
    The company strives to make a difference in those who deliver care in the Health Care industry. Every day I come to work I know our mission and I feel like I make a difference in our company and the healthcare industry.
    It's a fast paced, hard work and there is always an exciting new development you can participate in. The executive team started a great program called Innovation Days. Anyone in the company can participate to help develop new ideas to help our company succeed.

Cons

I'd say the most important information you need to know is this is a company that's 25 years old we still consider our-self a startup company. If you don't like to work hard and in a fast paced always changing environment this is not the place for you to work!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. I'm proud to work for a company that makes an impact on people's lives.

5. "Account Executive"

I have been working at HealthStream full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company culture, the people are fun and uplifting. They offer quite a bit of training and development not just in your role but company wide as well.

Cons

Multiple office locations in Nashville. Would prefer to be all in one umbrella.

6. "HSTM"

I have been working at HealthStream full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Moving to a more remote workforce. Fairly forward thinking in the market.

Cons

Managers aren't managers of people. They are promoted from experience, not talent or for the ability to understand and motivate employees. Never had any idea where my job was going.

Advice to Management

Recognize the effort and reward the team, not individuals taking credit for the work of others. Clearly define career paths. Could have been a lifer, despite non-competitive pay.

7. "Sales Rep"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at HealthStream full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great products & vision for the future.

Cons

Sales organization is disorganized & lacks direction.

Advice to Management

Clearly communicate expectations, roles, responsibilities.

8. "HealthStream is overall a good team to work for if you’re looking for a job that doesn’t require experience."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Laurel, MD
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Laurel, MD

I worked at HealthStream full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Managers were awesome, holiday celebrations, laid back atmosphere, dress code was very lenient, co-workers were cool, provided free food/drinks often in break room

Cons

Calling the same people on a daily basis around the same time makes for angry/hostile people on the other end of the phone.

Advice to Management

Consider altering the system to allow for requested callback times to be entered so that people are called back at their most convenient time.

9. "Sales Operations"

Pros

Great place to work and fun.

Cons

Slow to make choices and grow.

10. "Not worth it."

Current Employee - Sales in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Sales in Nashville, TN

I have been working at HealthStream full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are some really great people at HealthStream and there are a lot of strong friendships inside and outside of the workplace.

Cons

Favoritism. No room to grow. Unrealistic expectations. Extremely low pay compared with other companies and identical positions. Zero change. Low expectations for anything positive for employees. Status quo is general disappointment.

Advice to Management

Actually take a management course or class. There are so many managers that were simply promoted to management because of their time with the company, NOT because they were good leaders.