Hearst Bay Area Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.7

Sort:

Multimedia Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Hearst Bay Area (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Very easy. I came in a referral and was offered a job at the interview. I was informed of the expectations and was surprised that the vast majority of sales reps worked a a 7.5 hour work day. Almost no one worked late. That has changed since I was initially hired.

Interview Questions

• N/A They asked standard sales development questions.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I negotiated additional vacation. There is little wiggle room as the sales team is unionized. Offer was based upon years of experience.

Multimedia Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Hearst Bay Area (San Mateo, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Although I was told for several months when I followed up after submitting my CV, that the HR person had "no idea" who the hiring manager was, and couldn't help me, I got an email out of the blue from some new blood, a man who said he got me, got "it". and promised me transparency and prompt follow-up, even getting me on the phone with a long-time regional manager the same day. From there it went totally south.

Interview Questions

• Usual and customary questions, such as why I would want to work selling print and multi-media services when my background encompasses both, and I felt it was self-evident about my skill-set, experience and what I bring to the table.   2 Answers

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Hearst Bay Area.

Interview

Had 1 phone screening, and they decided to bring me in for interviews the following week. There were 3 rounds of interviews. The most important employer was at the end of the interview.

I liked that all 3 employers had different personalities, which shed some light on their work environment.

Interview Questions

• If I hire you for this role tomorrow how would you start off your day? What would you do, or work on first, and how would you plan on getting things done?   Answer Question
    • If you were to start your own business what would it be and how would you get it going?   Answer Question

Negotiation

They usually send out a job offer almost immediately. Depending which team you work with, there may be some room for negotiation, but if that, very little.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hearst Bay Area (San Francisco, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

I interviewed with 5 managers including the VP of Sales. All brought a depth of knowledge to the process which allowed me to see how I could be contribute to their goals.

Interview Questions

• What ideas would you bring to the company that would increase revenue?   1 Answer

Human Resources Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Hearst Bay Area (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

The process was quick and effective. I spoke to the people in which I would be working with, it was great! The phone screen with thorough and the in-person interview was with 3 individuals. All together the in-person interview took around 1.5 hours.

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Hearst Bay Area (San Francisco, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

Liked hiring manager felt like it would be a good fit. Met and interviewed with four other people. Thought they were all sharp and would work well with them. Seemed like a very strong organization and would be a great career move

Interview Questions

• What will you bring to the company? Why are you leaving your current position? What type of work ethic do you have?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Gave me more than I was expecting so it went well

Reporter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hearst Bay Area (San Francisco, CA) in May 2009.

Interview

Pretty dismal. First question my interviewer asked was: What is your current salary? I provided an answer, and he interviewer immediately said they couldn't pay me that much.

Editorial Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Hearst Bay Area in July 2016.

Interview

Phone interview with questions focused on relevant job experience. Interviewer was pretty dry and robotic--couldn't gauge interest and satisfaction as an employee. Conversation didn't encourage or inspire creativity, leaving me significantly less excited about the role when interview ended. Never heard back from interviewer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me how your past experiences qualify you for this position.   Answer Question

Copy Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Hearst Bay Area (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Interviews filled a full workday. I talked with HR reps, the copy desk chief, the executive editor and more. I sat in on the afternoon newsroom meeting where editors determine what will go on the front page. I applied and got no response, but then I met a higher-up at an industry event and that person moved my application forward, so networking is important. As a copy editor, I also had to pass an editing and headline-writing test. Do your homework.

Interview Questions

• I suppose the editing/headline test was the most difficult part, especially the portions where I needed to write headlines about a story to fit a particular space. Pay attention to detail!   Answer Question

Negotiation

I named a high number, the other person named one slightly lower, and we compromised in the middle. I raised my minimum salary given the cost of living in the Bay Area. Don't underestimate that cost!

Paid Search Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

Interview

The interview process was quick, called me in the middle of the week for an interview Friday. I never received a call back from them. The job seemed interesting, but also sounded small scale.

Interview Questions

• I was asked a few generic paid questions about the size of campaigns I had run, the size etc.   1 Answer