Hearst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Hearst Interview Questions

Interviews at Hearst

2.5

Traffic Specialist Interview

Interview

This was during COVID-19 pandemic so it took a while to hear back and by time I heard back, the position I actually applied to was filled by someone in house and they had the other role open. I was contacted via email and we did have to reschedule due to some of the employees’ schedule conflicts. The first video interview was with a manager and team members. It was somewhat informal and not many questions during this call. I disliked that the team initially reached out as if the opening was for the station specialist role I applied to and the new role sounded more like a “floater” position in ad ops where the person would learn the duties of multiple positions. I was contacted for a follow up interview with other managers and the questions were standard interview questions. After these two rounds of interviews, I never heard back from a team member or even received an automated email with an update. This was unprofessional and a bad look on the company’s part. From this experience, I do not think I will apply to this company again.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hearst (New York, NY).

Interview

Brief phone screen with an recruiter for the company. Then during CoVid, we had 2 zoom meetings and I was called back for a third role play but took another offer instead. Nice people, told me exactly what I could expect and I was able to meet several people in different positions which was interesting.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Hearst.

Interview

I applied online and got interview couple days later. It was brief and easy, lasted about 30 minutes. The hiring manager asked me about my previous experiences and couple behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a difficult situation you had to face at work.   Answer Question

Training Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hearst.

Interview

I never got to the interview process, but I have applied to multiple roles at the company, had multiple people reach out to me regarding next steps, they've asked for my availability for an interview, asked for work samples, salary requirements, and position specific requirements, all of which I replied to within 24 hours... and then I never hear back. I'll email and follow up, nothing, no response ever. This has happened multiple times. I will get an email from them, or they'll reach out to me about a role, and then I'll never hear back after I respond.

Interview Questions

• Experience conducting phone and in-person training?
      Experience creating courses in LMS (what LMS have you previously used)?
      Please include any previous work samples you might have.   Answer Question

Automotive Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Hearst in February 2020.

Interview

The interview process involved two phone interviews and a final in person interview with some of the team members. Everything was fine until the process was completed. Never heard from the recruiter or the team even after I reached our requesting an update. People always remember their unprofessional encounters...

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Hearst (New York, NY) in January 2020.

Interview

The interview process begins with an initial phone screening, then an in-person interview with the General Sales Manager, and finally an interview with the President. Most sales interviews have at a minimum three total steps.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Hearst (New York, NY) in January 2020.

Interview

1st round - standard phone interview with recruiter. Not very in depth. 2nd round - phone interview with a team member. Got more detail as to how the position would flow within the team and it’s different duties. 3rd round - in person with 3 team members. There were some contradictions between team members as to the functions of the position but that can be standard. Everyone was pleasant to talk to. Where it went south was the recruiter was not very responsive with updates. Finally got an update that the salary of the position had been slashed significantly and capped at a very low rate for what the requirements and industry average would be. I withdrew my candidacy because of this. All in all, it makes Hearst look not so good overall. Interviewing candidates let alone getting far into the process without confirmation on a budget for a position makes a company of Hearst’s name and size look like a place where employees get lost and forgotten about.

Human Resources Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hearst in January 2020.

Interview

Never heard from the recruiter or the team after being told they would reach out regarding next steps. Followed up with them and...nothing. Seems like they don't care about the type of candidate experience they're providing to people.

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hearst.

Interview

Recruiter was nearly 30 minutes late with 4 minutes left of the call. I understand their employees are forming a union due to a negative work environment and low pay, so they probably have a lot to deal with right now. Standard screening interview. When it came to describing the role, the recruiter read the job description word for word from LinkedIn, which was not helpful considering I've obviously read it. It seemed maybe she was flustered, or perhaps didn't have enough experience to really sell the role. Then, when she asked me if I had any questions, of course I did because beyond the job description, she did not provide any additional details as to why I would to work there. I asked her if she could tell me more about the team and the culture, and she had no idea. She told me I should ask the hiring manager that question. Yikes. I then asked, well, "why would I want to work there?" She answered the question to a degree by giving me examples of Oprah speaking at an event, about food tastings, and about discounts around town. But nothing connected back to the specific opportunity, culture, or fulfillment.

Digital Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Hearst (New York, NY) in December 2019.

Interview

Last year, I had the opportunity to interview at Hearst Magazine. First, I submitted my application in, and one day later the recruiter sent me an email to schedule a normal phone interview. The interview process went as followed:
    - Recruiter screening
    - In person interview with hiring manager and another person
    - Take Home assignment (I had to create a powerpoint that asked for my approach to different questions, and then asked to analyze a dataset and show my findings. It took me 3 days to complete)
    - Another "final" in-person interview with two people I would potentially be working with

There are many reasons why I give Hearst a negative review. First, the interviewers seemed like they didn't know what they truly wanted in a candidate. And in the Final interview, one of the interviewers seemed too "busy" to even bother, and kept pausing the interview to check her phone and respond back to messages, and then would complain about the "lack of common sense" people had in the department. When I asked her "what soft skills do you need to succeed at Hearst?" she told me "diplomatic. Because it's very political here". And then kept shaking her head.
    In addition, I received a call before Christmas break from the recruiter. She told me that they haven't made a decision about my candidacy yet because they didn't get the chance to interview other people before Christmas, so she'll let me know in the New Year in January. However, I never heard back from her afterwards. It sucks to put in so much work to join the company, only for them to not even give me a response back.

Interview Questions

• Why Hearst?; Tell me more about yourself; Can you tell me about a time when you gave a recommendation to someone?   Answer Question