Hearst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Hearst Interview Questions

Updated Feb 8, 2018

2.5

Video Producer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hearst.

Interview

I emailed my resume to site editor. HR called me that week to schedule an interview. Followed up with them and didn't hear back from them for 2 months. Site editor called me in for an interview the week after and was hired in the room.

Account Executive Interview

Interview

Very formal, and multiple step interview process. First there is a phone interview, screening the client. Then there is a one on one interview within the office that is an in depth interview. Then the last phase is a panel interview, where you have several managers interviewing you during a sales pitch you are to create for them. Long and intense interview process.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself.
      (They want in depth answers, why you are who you are etc.)   Answer Question

Advertising Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hearst (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Spoke with the recruiter on the phone first for about 30 minutes. She was very warm and we spoke casually about my resume and about what the position would entail. I was super excited about the role at this point. Then came the in-person interview with the hiring manager. He was way too serious in my opinion. No sense of humor and we couldn’t connect. He asked me multiplication questions during the interview which was bizarre. He asked mainly negatively aiming questions like ‘what is your biggest flaw’ and ‘what was your worst miscommunication at work’. The worst part was the job sounded so old fashioned and rigid EVERY morning there is a team meeting in the SF office despite this job requiring travel around the entire Bay Area daily. To me this is highly inefficient. I also feel that the interview didn’t allow me to show my selling ability. I think we both left knowing this was not the right fit for either of us. I recommend this job for a more old-school salesmen, not for someone looking for the flexibility and innovative way of working that the tech companies in the Silicon Valley provide.

Freelancer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Hearst (New York, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

Very easy, submitted application online, phone screening about 10 mins, but they dont respond to emails or call you back. If someone takes the time to apply to your company feedback or at least a response post interview would benefit those trying to grow.

Interview Questions

• What kind of position are you looking for (an obvious one if I'm applying)   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hearst (New York, NY).

Interview

Extremely drawn out process with a disheartening end - truly treated like a number and not a human being. I began interviews with Hearst in June. I did a phone screen with a recruiter and then came in to meet with the hiring manager for about 15-20 minutes in-person. After that, there was radio silence for about 5 weeks with no communications from the manager or recruiter. Then, I received an email with an assignment that was the 'final step,' which was incredibly easy. I completed the assignment and was then asked to come in again to meet the hiring manager a second time, as well as their manager. The hiring manager asked no questions this time and seemed very rushed. The VP was great and asked behavioral questions that were simple. There was no overview of the assignment, which came in 2 parts, that they had me work on. These two interviews totaled at about 45 minutes.

I then informed Hearst of an external offer I received as soon as I heard. Hearst asked for references and spoke to one and then offered verbally. They still continued to speak to a second reference, however, the recruiter missed the call and my reference ended up calling more than once to try and reach the recruiter. The recruiter then blamed my reference on not sending their contact information, which I provided in my initial references email. My reference also forwarded me their email correspondence with the recruiter that proved their email was included in all communications. I also included their email and phone number in my reference document that was sent over after they requested references. Please do not do that to a potential recruit's references as it affects their relationships with the reference.

Lastly, I asked for the weekend before accepting the offer. I asked for an extension due to a family emergency, which was rejected. I ended up accepting the offer and then was told that they wouldn't budge on their start date even though I clearly communicated when I would be able to start prior to accepting the offer. They said they had been "flexible enough" and they showed no remorse for the fact that would I had accepted the offer, I would have been giving my current job 5 business days notice. I expressed my commitment to leaving on good terms (2 weeks notice) and politely declined.

I'd be cautious interviewing here given how they treated me. I met no peers throughout the process (I have no idea what the quality of junior to mid-level employees is like), which was the main reason I did not immediately accept the offer. They did not respect me and I am happily moving on with pursuing a different option.

Interview Questions

Please read the longer description on the interview process.

Marketing Communications Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Hearst (New York, NY).

Interview

I had an in person interview and a phone interview. They were both very short and focused on skills rather than behavior. They didn't ask me many questions and were quite friendly. It took a week between my first interview to hear about the second and then I never heard back from them after the second interview.

Advertising Sales Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hearst.

Interview

Had an interview scheduled, was e-mailed 10 minutes before saying it needed to be rescheduled, to which I never heard a reply. Nothing worse than an interviewer who doesn't respect your time.

Business Analytics Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hearst (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

Phone interview with hiring manager, then phone interview with VP, followed by technical screen with hiring manager and then another phone interview with VP.

Each interview felt like a discussion, HR was very responsive throughout the entire process about the status of my application. Interviewing was definitely an enjoyable experience.

SEO Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hearst (Buffalo, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

Very professional; asked a lot of pertinent questions. They basically were looking to see if I had at least a base knowledge in the subject and we will go from there.

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hearst (New York, NY).

Interview

I went through two rounds of phone interviews and was brought it for the last round to the main office. The interviews were very upfront and I felt comfortable.