Hearst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 16, 2017

2.5

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hearst (New York, NY).

Interview

Extremely drawn out process with a disheartening end - truly treated like a number and not a human being. I began interviews with Hearst in June. I did a phone screen with a recruiter and then came in to meet with the hiring manager for about 15-20 minutes in-person. After that, there was radio silence for about 5 weeks with no communications from the manager or recruiter. Then, I received an email with an assignment that was the 'final step,' which was incredibly easy. I completed the assignment and was then asked to come in again to meet the hiring manager a second time, as well as their manager. The hiring manager asked no questions this time and seemed very rushed. The VP was great and asked behavioral questions that were simple. There was no overview of the assignment, which came in 2 parts, that they had me work on. These two interviews totaled at about 45 minutes.

I then informed Hearst of an external offer I received as soon as I heard. Hearst asked for references and spoke to one and then offered verbally. They still continued to speak to a second reference, however, the recruiter missed the call and my reference ended up calling more than once to try and reach the recruiter. The recruiter then blamed my reference on not sending their contact information, which I provided in my initial references email. My reference also forwarded me their email correspondence with the recruiter that proved their email was included in all communications. I also included their email and phone number in my reference document that was sent over after they requested references. Please do not do that to a potential recruit's references as it affects their relationships with the reference.

Lastly, I asked for the weekend before accepting the offer. I asked for an extension due to a family emergency, which was rejected. I ended up accepting the offer and then was told that they wouldn't budge on their start date even though I clearly communicated when I would be able to start prior to accepting the offer. They said they had been "flexible enough" and they showed no remorse for the fact that would I had accepted the offer, I would have been giving my current job 5 business days notice. I expressed my commitment to leaving on good terms (2 weeks notice) and politely declined.

I'd be cautious interviewing here given how they treated me. I met no peers throughout the process (I have no idea what the quality of junior to mid-level employees is like), which was the main reason I did not immediately accept the offer. They did not respect me and I am happily moving on with pursuing a different option.

Interview Questions

Please read the longer description on the interview process.

Marketing Communications Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Hearst (New York, NY).

Interview

I had an in person interview and a phone interview. They were both very short and focused on skills rather than behavior. They didn't ask me many questions and were quite friendly. It took a week between my first interview to hear about the second and then I never heard back from them after the second interview.

Advertising Sales Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hearst.

Interview

Had an interview scheduled, was e-mailed 10 minutes before saying it needed to be rescheduled, to which I never heard a reply. Nothing worse than an interviewer who doesn't respect your time.

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hearst (New York, NY).

Interview

I went through two rounds of phone interviews and was brought it for the last round to the main office. The interviews were very upfront and I felt comfortable.

Temporary Copy Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hearst (Norwalk, CT) in July 2017.

Interview

I was called in for a two hour process. Spoke about past experiences, did a little training and met some of the staff. I was given a tour of the office, hours and salary were discussed towards the end of the process.

Associate Social Media Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Hearst (New York, NY).

Interview

Interview focused on my ability to generate reports, understand social media and it's challenges, etc. No one followed up with me or answered my emails after the interview. Very unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• What alerting tools do you use? How do you generate and communicate a report to show stakeholders/manager?   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Hearst.

Interview

Interview was more like a conversation. Not too much pressure, but enough to make sure you answered quickly with applicable answers. There were 2 different interviews with two different managers. They try to get a feel for your personality, not just your skill and education.

Interview Questions

Interview

Took three separate interviews before I was given a task to make sure I was fit for the position. They did not reimburse for my travel (I took a $40 dollar train three times from my university).

Digital Media Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hearst in March 2017.

Interview

Waste of time. 2 in-person interviews and they present you a design "test." You basically waste hours of your life designing for them with no compensation. No response afterwards. Typical.

Freelance Motion Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hearst (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

I got interview email three weeks later after I submitting my resume on Indeed.
    two people interviewed with me.
    It is a short interview: introduce yourself, watch your demo reel and introduce your previous work experience.
    They give you a design test after interview.