Heartland Alliance Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Heartland Alliance Interview Questions

Updated Jul 20, 2017

2.9

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Heartland Alliance.

Interview

Very quick and to the point. I was contacted within two days of applying. the interview was scheduled for 2 day later. I interviewed and was asked very general workforce related questions. The interview went well and I was given the office within two days

Development Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Heartland Alliance (Chicago, IL) in May 2017.

Interview

Pre-screen email followed by a 3-hour written test. Then a 30-minute Skype interview, which was the final round before they made a hiring decision. The whole process took about a month.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you couldn't manage everything - how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Heartland Alliance (Chicago, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

The HR Coordinator calls to schedule a phone screen with the Recruiting Manager. The coordinator sends a email confirmation the phone screen. The Recruiting Manager call to conduct the phone screen

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume   1 Answer

Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Heartland Alliance (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Over the phone, very easygoing and positive. I was able to start within a few days and love my position. My only complaint is I was not called when the call was originally scheduled.

Executive Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Heartland Alliance (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

This was the third time I've had a phone interview with Heartland Alliance, and all three instances have been poor. It begins with a phone screen by a random recruiter who doesn't work in the department you are applying with and asks generic questions from a list.

For this interview, the recruiter phoned me more than five minutes late. She asked me a generic question about calendar management, I gave a thorough description of my skills in relation to this, and then she asked me the same question again. I obliged and restated my skills, and she then demeaned those skills and asked how I thought they would be relevant.... By the end of the interview, I realized that the job title should NOT have been Executive Coordinator but Executive Assistant.

I wish I would have checked Glassdoor before I had this interview, because poor phone screens seem to be an issue with this company as well as many other things.

Case Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Heartland Alliance (Chicago, IL).

Interview

You'll be first contacted for an initial phone interview, in which you are asked a few questions about your educational and professional background. And you'll also be asked to elaborate on how you'd be a good fit for the position in question. This is your opportunity to give the recruiter/hiring manager an impression of your strengths that'll make you suited for the position. If this first round of interview goes well, you'll receive an email notification saying you've made it to the in-person interview, up on the successful completion of which you'll be asked to provide three references

Interview Questions

• How do you think you'll be a good fit for the position, provided the scope of your previous professional experience?   Answer Question

Family Reunification Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Heartland Alliance.

Interview

Phone interview. Very simple and short. They want someone who will work the second shift which is 4pm-12:30pm and Sunday- Thursday. They also want someone who can do multiple things/jobs like washing dishes. I did not take it due to the hours but they offered me another position and will be attending an in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me more about your qualifications?   1 Answer

Senior Program Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Heartland Alliance (Chicago, IL) in July 2016.

Interview

I applied in July 2016 for the Senior Program Officer Position in Iraq with Heartland Alliance International. I was notified one week later after I applied to take a writing test. I took the three hour writing test. About one week later after that, I was notified that that I made it to the next round of interviews. I interviewed in the middle of August, and then again interviewed one week later and again a week later. In total, I went through three rounds of interviews and writing test. In the beginning of September 2016, I inquired regarding my candidacy. They said they would get back to me in two weeks. Up until now in October 2016, they have not replied to any of my emails regarding my candidacy. I know that I am more than qualified for this position, and they had asked for my salary history. When I gave them my salary history that is when they stopped communicating. This seems like a good organization, however, when it comes to simple communication they're really lacking in those skills. If they do not want to hire someone for a job after three rounds of interviews and a writing test. They should notify that person so they continue on their job search.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for HAI? What background do you have in writing proposals?   Answer Question

Case Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Plaines, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Heartland Alliance (Des Plaines, IL) in February 2016.

Interview

Be careful with this company. The actual site employees seem to be really great people but they truly implement switch and bate tactics. After applying for the job you will receive a call from a recruiter. Be mindful that the recruiters are outside contractors, not actual employees. When I had applied (early 2016 for the Des Plaines location), I was told the salary range was from $33k to $44k per year. So, phone interview went great and was referred to an onsite interview. Truly awesome place with great people who work there. Really is an awesome mission! But... I was told I would be contacted by corporate if there was a job offer.

About 5 days later I was contacted to begin the background check for my current employer and past two employers. Up until this point I was still not given any salary information. So, I respectfully requested to be told what the salary was before rocking the boat at my current employer. They said that it was ok and I should be contacted that day with salary information. About four days later I was contacted by someone in HR who said they could offer me $13 per hour. I asked what part about my experience or lack thereof justifies such a low salary? The lady said my work history didnt show any experience working with juveniles or case work. I asked the lady who my last employer was and she did not know, in fact she didnt realize that I had over four years of casework experience. When I called her on her bluff she immediately asked me to email her my resume because she had misplaced mine.---So basically she was offering me a salary without regard to my experience. When I had asked her about the salary being different from the range I was told about from the recruiter, she said she didnt know anything about it.

Long story short, it seemed like they wanted to contact my current employer to lock me into the position before offering a salary which would leave me in a place where I could not do anything but accept the low offer. Apparently there are rules with the union, or so I was told, that even if I had a billion years of experience, they could not hire me and pay me more than anyone else in that same position. They called me back a few days later and offered me $14.55 an hour and said that was the max they could do. $14.55*40 hours a week *52 weeks a year =$30,264. Not even in the range I was initially told. If I would have known the range was so low, I would not have interviewed in the first place.

I guess this whether or not you would want to work here depends on where you are professionally and financially. It was not a good fit for me but might be great for a recent grad.

****Also keep in mind, all positions for the most part do the same exact thing, when I was going through the process, the job title changed three or four times from Case manager to youth worker to security specialist to Case worker. All pay the same.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a child wanted a hug?   1 Answer

Program Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Heartland Alliance (Chicago, IL) in January 2016.

Interview

Be wary of applying here. They rescinded their job offer with no explanation and not even a phone call just because I did a little textbook negotiating. You know how they say that only 1% of employers will rescind an offer if you negotiate? Heartland Alliance is that 1%. Which may have been for the better: there were numerous red flags throughout the process.

They put me through an interview process that lasted for over a month. It included a prescreen, a 3-hour written test, and two face-to-face interviews. Each step of the process involved about a week of waiting to see if I advanced.

Finally, I was offered the job, and I was ready to accept. However, first red flag: in the prescreen, they gave me one salary range. Despite my strong interviews, they low-balled me with the low-end of that range. When I questioned why they'd do this even when they knew I was already willing to take a $12,000 pay cut to work there, I got some fishy story about how they'd shared the wrong salary range with me. So, in their minds, they were offering me the max. I said I couldn't make that salary work financially.

Second red flag: they agreed to honor their original salary range, but not without first changing the job description. They made it a senior position and added responsibilities. Hmm, okay. My gut said something was off, but I was still too excited about working for them so I went along.

Since I was taking a sizable salary cut, I asked if there was room to negotiate past their max. They said no. So I went to textbook job offer negotiation: I asked for extra vacation time. Even my would-be boss said she was "expecting" I would.

Third red flag: my would-be boss said that it would have to be off the books, but that, yes, I could get 5 extra vacation days. All sounded good. This was on a Friday afternoon. I was ready to pop the champagne. I foolishly started telling friends and family that I'd accepted the position.

30 minutes later, I get an e-mail asking if I meant for the five days to be just for this year, or an ongoing benefit. If ongoing, then it wasn't possible. I wrote a very professional but very conciliatory e-mail asking what we could do, because I felt I was giving up a lot of things but wanted to find a win-win compromise.

Monday, they abruptly pulled the offer. No phone calls. Just a curt, cold e-mail saying that we had hit an impasse and "good luck with your search." I tried e-mailing, and hours later I got one last curt response saying the offer was off the table. I tried calling to get some kind of explanation but she never even had the courtesy to call me back.

After over a month of interviewing, and despite my strong showing and references, they chose to pull the offer just because I did basic negotiation. I didn't ask for the sun, moon, and stars, and I was willing to take a $12,000 pay cut to work for them. They way they handled it, you'd think I was asking for a private jet, six months of vacation, and a personal chef for lunches. All I asked for were five extra vacation days a year. That's it.

In the end, I was probably saved from something. As one of my friends said about the matter, it's clearly amateur hour there. It's best to find that out now than later.

I'm sure someone will be happy with the low salary and high expectations. But be ready for anything, as my experience demonstrates that they can change their minds at the slightest provocation, especially if you have the audacity to try and negotiate like a normal person.