Hospital for Special Surgery Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Hospital for Special Surgery Interview Questions

Updated Jul 14, 2017

2.9

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hospital for Special Surgery.

Interview

30 minute phone interview. Generic questions like why do you want the position? What's your background? Tell me a bit about yourself.

2 hour group interview. Prepped to go over a mock consent form. They asked some behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• One thing you wish you could change the way you performed/completed something in the past.   Answer Question

Assistant Director - Special Events Interview

Application

The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at Hospital for Special Surgery.

Interview

I first applied twice in late 2015 and never received a reply. I later applied for a similar role in late August 2016, and this time received a email from the sender "Human Resources Auto Response" that read:

Dear ,

Thank you for your interest in the position of Assistant Director - Special Events (2016-7801). While we were impressed with your background and experience, we have selected another candidate who more closely meets our needs at this time. Your information will be kept on file should we identify future positions that may be more suitable for you.

Notice the "Dear _______."

Classy touch, eh?

Interview Questions

• Nothing, they let the computer do all the work for them!   1 Answer

Community Educator RN Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Hospital for Special Surgery in December 2016.

Interview

The interview was set up in a relatively short time post application. Met with recruiter and department manager. The position was for a part time job.
    I was offered the job a few weeks later and inquired about an alternate orientation date because my schedule conflicted.
    I was called back a day later by them to rescind the offer because they REQUIRED the candidate to start ASAP.
    This seemed very unreasonable for a part time job.

Nursing Student Externship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Hospital for Special Surgery (New York, NY).

Interview

Well, I simply called their HR & RN recruitment offices (I called all major NYC hospitals to find out and create an externship list).The person who answered was helpful and soon, I was scheduled for a 1st interview. It was a group interview with 1 administrator. She just told us about HSS. 1 q asked was what we knew about the hospital. I emailed a follow-up thank you, and received a 2nd interview. It was a group interview with 3 moderators (2 pt care directors, 1 CNS). They asked us the same questions so be prepared to have at least 3 different ans for the same q.

Interview Questions

• -If you saw a PCT not wash their hands after pt care, what would you do?   1 Answer
    • -How did your previous major/experence help you become a better nurse?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

First, a phone call. Then I had two interviews in different parts of the HSS campus. From start to finish, this process took more than 2 months, and it only ended when they emailed to say that due to restructuring, they actually weren't going to hire for that position. Two months gone.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hospital for Special Surgery (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

Phone interview with the assistant director or research for their department of anesthesiology. A science background in undergrad was definitely held as a plus, but emphasis was placed on prior experience in clinical research. That said, my interviewer was professional and courteous, and invited me to the second step of the application process: a brief (strict word limit) critique of a peer-reviewed study that was relevant to the job role. After submitting my critique 3-4 weeks ago, I have not had any further contact after notifying them that I had received competitive offers elsewhere. That said, the interview process seems fair. Challenging, but absolutely fair and straightforward.

Interview Questions

• What are your biggest 3 assets to any team, according to people who know you?
      What is your biggest weakness in a workplace setting?   Answer Question

Registered Nurse Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hospital for Special Surgery.

Interview

Simple, straight-forward. Interviewed with recruiter and nurse manager. HSS really wants to hire nurses who will maintain their image of dedication to patient/ customer-satisfaction in keeping up with their magnet designation. Very efficient staff, will respond quickly and give prompt update on whether or not they want to hire you (just a few days after interview).

Interview Questions

• why nursing? tell me about a time you went above and beyond for a patient.   Answer Question

Assistant Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Hospital for Special Surgery (New York, NY).

Interview

Five or six interviews total including one with an external head hunter hired by the hospital. Very in-depth interview process. Found job on-line and started with a phone screen. Next was in-person with recruiter. Then interview with Director, then VP, then second interview with Director.

Interview Questions

• A lot of questions about my professional and personal background. Emphasis on both skills and "cultural fit."   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Hospital for Special Surgery in August 2016.

Interview

Pretty good. Met with 3 higher ups at once. All genuine and pretty professional. Received quick feedback after interview and received good insight re: the position.
    Benefits, pay and everything related seemed great.

Registered Nurse Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Hospital for Special Surgery (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

There was a phone screen, an interview with HR, and a final panel interview with another candidate. They were very responsive and welcoming during the interview process. Interview with HR were normal nursing interview questions - behavioral/personality questions. The panel interview included critical thinking clinical scenarios and how to escalate issues.