HouseCanary Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at HouseCanary

2.9

Junior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at HouseCanary (San Francisco, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied online, then got an email back to set up a phone chat with the recruiter, Mike, that would be my contact for the rest of the process. It was pretty quick, going over HouseCanary and my resume. Next was a HackerRank coding challenge. I actually had some technical issues with the challenge. I emailed Mike, they made some tweaks to the challenge and I was allowed to retake it. It also turned out I was making a mistake in it.

Next was a coding test over the phone with an engineer. There were some technical questions, asking about my resume then the coding questions. They were pretty straightforward, equivalent to Easy level HackerRank questions.

Finally I had the on-site. First, I got a T-shirt as a thank you for coming out. Mike gave me a product demo, then I had 5 interviewers.

The interview process was less structured than others I've done, where each interviewer was obviously testing something specific. Each interview was pretty evenly split between chatting about programming in general, my experiences, and technical questions. There were two exceptions.

The CTO took me out of the office and we grabbed some coffee (sodas actually). This was the least technical of the interviews. The questions were pretty much just conversation starters (What technologies are you really excited about it?)

The most technical of the interviews was with the same senior engineer that did my phone screen. It was a coding challenge in Python, and a SQL challenge. We worked through them together, instead of him just throwing out a question and watching me do it.

Two days later I got a call from the CEO. He asked some simple questions ("Tell me about your background.", "Why HouseCanary?") then said they were going to make an offer. About 30 minutes later Mike and I talked over the phone about what the offer would look like. Two days later we finalized the details over the phone then he sent it as an email. I accepted on the spot over the phone, because I really wanted to work at HouseCanary and the offer was what I was hoping for.

The important thing for me to highlight is how thoughtful they were in the process. Mike was always telling me the next step and about when it would happen. If it got delayed, he told me right away. This is very welcome after dealing with very large companies that are a giant black box, and may or may not ever get back to you when they feel like it.

Interview Questions

• Remove all the non-unique letters from a string, keeping the remaining characters in order.   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HouseCanary.

Interview

2 Phone conversations. This place seems like its got a lot of weird high-level mismanagement. The 4 hours I spent on site was largely a waste of everyone's time.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time that you did X that was relevant to this job   Answer Question

HouseCanary Response

Nov 10, 2017 – Head of Talent

Thanks for the feedback - we're sorry that you felt the interviews were a waste of everyone's time.

If there are specific areas you feel we can work on, we'd love to have your input so we can... More

Analyst Interview

Interview

After I applied online, they sent me an email asking for availability, I replied right away, and that's it. I tried to send them another email still silence. I feel really bad about they just messing with people like this.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HouseCanary (San Francisco, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

I had an initial call with People Operations to learn more about the company and position. I had a technical phone interview. Lastly, I had an onsite interview where I met individually with an engineering manager, three engineers and a member of senior leadership.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about system/architecture design. I had white board algorithm questions. I had coding questions to be implemented on someone's computer.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at HouseCanary (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview process was pretty standard:

1. Phone screen (since I worked nearby, they allowed me to just stop by and talk to one of their engineers and a product person).

2. Onsite interview with 4 engineers and 1 product manager.

The process was very efficient. I got a call from the CEO the same night as my onsite, and received an offer just the next day. The offer was very good: about 20K higher base than other offers I had at the moment, and a significant amount of equity -- they even disclose the fraction the equity amounts to, which is very honest of them.

House Canary easily topped all the other start-up companies I got offers from. But I had a competing offer from a big company (I'll let you guess which), and after almost two weeks of indecision, I chose the big company because I felt I needed to make lot of cash in the short term (rather than gain equity) and wanted a stable job to support my family.

Interview Questions

• I worked at a startup (was one of the earliest engineers), and decided to leave after I was pretty much fully vested. Most of the my interview time was spent on describing what I did, how our product worked, and our engineering infrastructure. Everyone I talked to were amicable, very knowledgeable and super interested in what I had to say about my startup experience.

Technical interview questions: standard algorithm and design questions, and some related to my background and things I claimed to know in my resume. They're also a python shop, so you'll impress them if you know python well (e.g. what is GIL?).   Answer Question

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at HouseCanary (San Francisco, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

1. Phone interview with a recruiter
    2. Phone interview with an engineer
    3. 4-hour in person interview engineers and designers

The recruiter at HouseCanary is a really nice guy and very professional. Also the on site 4 hour interview session was very organized. People are very nice and fast forward.

Interview Questions

• - Introduction about yourself
      - Basic HTML, CSS, and JavaScript   Answer Question

Office Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HouseCanary (San Francisco, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Interviewing at HouseCanary was one of the best interview experiences I've ever had. A friend/employee at HC referred me, and I was promptly contacted by their Head of Talent to set up a phone interview. We enjoyed a great conversation. I was then scheduled for a call with HC's VP of TechOps (who had taken on general Ops work and was the hiring manager for the position) and we ended up talking for over an hour. I was expecting a straightforward list of questions (TechOps!) but we ended up chatting about organizational development, people operations, developing talent, and being a socially-conscious and responsible employer - all topics which get to the heart of what makes me passionate about my work. I was invited on-site for an interview - I met with the Head of Talent first and he gave an excellent product demo. I then met with the hiring manager and a product manager, followed by lunch with my friend. Even though we were in a super-hot, super-cramped office at the time (the digs have since been seriously upgraded!), everyone was engaged in the conversation and I was truly impressed by the folks I met with. Throughout the process, the Head of Talent would follow up with me right away, and was always very pro-active about scheduling and next steps. I could sense HC was about to make me an offer, and as a final interview I met with the Co-Founder & CEO for breakfast. After our conversation, I was sold. I was interviewing several other places (and was poised to leave a job I absolutely loved at a very hot company - I wasn't leaving for just any ol' job) and I was continuously disappointed with their CEOs - at the worst, arrogant to the point of rude and inconsiderate, even if their staff was great. Jeremy was smart, kind, at ease, and had a real reason for building the company - he worked for years encountering the same problems and he knew he could solve it through the best data, best products, and best customer experience. Overall, I was impressed with the methodology behind HC's interview process, but particularly with the Head of Talent's communicativeness, professionalism, intelligence, and timeliness. The interview process was one of the main reasons I was convinced to join HC.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to offer my opinion and expertise on on-going projects.   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HouseCanary (San Francisco, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

1. Phone Screen by HR
    2. In person interviews with team, hiring manager and founder

HR Director and Operations Head seemed progressive and humanistic. The founder was unprepared in the interview. He yawned and did not have social skills. I got the impression that this company's hiring policies are inadvertently both sexist and ageist because of this. I think the company has a lot of potential and will mature in their attitudes.

Customer Care Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HouseCanary (San Francisco, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

I was very impressed by the transparent manner in which the interview process at HouseCanary was handled. I applaud the team for their open and frank communication, no BS, and prompt responses throughout. Overall they struck me as a very smart and ambitious group who will make great strides in the real estate market and data analysis overall. Though I took another offer for travel reasons (shifting to east coast) I would highly recommend taking a serious look at this company!

Interview Questions

• The questions for a support position were generally what one might expect: how do I approach a bug when I have limited knowledge of the product or use case, how do I handle irate customers or very demanding high profile clients, how do I balance consumer noise or in-house feature demands with limited engineering resources, etc. There was some role playing with the interviewer acting as a customer on the phone, and I had to walk them through a password reset issue. The interview started with product demo which was very helpful in understanding what HouseCanary does. Overall the interview process was very friendly and pleasant. The office is beautiful and each of my interviews were very conversational as all interviewers were enthusiastic and amicable right off the bat.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HouseCanary in October 2017.

Interview

The HR person seemed disinterested as if his mind was made up prior to making the phone call. The phone interview was just a quick checklist full of questions like "are you authorized to work in the US?" Then went through the next steps of the interview process in detail and that I should hear back in the next couple of days. After a few days, I followed up with HR, then a couple days after that I got an email saying they won't be moving forward with my candidacy. While hearing back after a week with a generic email is better then most companies, reading the reviews on here gave me higher expectations.