Human Rights Watch Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Human Rights Watch Interview Questions

Interviews at Human Rights Watch

Sort:

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Human Rights Watch (Washington, DC).

Interview

Applied to the job online with my resume, cover letter, writing sample and reference list. After a couple of weeks of waiting, I spoke to someone who works at the organization. Incidentally, that person connected me to the person who was leaving the job, who found my resume amidst a pile over 1,000 applications.

I did not have to go through a formal phone interview. Instead, I was given a writing exam. The exam was one-hour and required email composition, document translation and writing a short report on your preferred language.

After a couple of weeks waiting, I followed up and received a notice that I had to wait one more week. Then I was told I did not make it to the final round with the division's director. When I asked why I was not selected, they told me the other person just did a better job with her writing and translation.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Human Rights Watch.

Interview

Took about two months after I initially applied (emailed my resume, cover letter, etc.) for them to contact me. Set up an online video interview with 6 questions (why I want to work with HRW, specific questions about the job). Got an email about 4 days later saying I passed the video interview and wanted to set up an hour and 15 minute written exam with me. I had to write a letter to a senior official, write an email in French, and proofread a HRW report and then format it. Never heard back after that, even after two follow up emails. Personally, I felt kind of weird about the organization as a whole after that experience. I understand that it's a big organization and everyone is probably really busy, but when someone takes the time to interview with you and go through an hour and 15 minute written test, I feel like the least you could do is respond back to their email and tell them they didn't get the job? Kind of turned me off to HRW to be honest.

Interview Questions

• Wasn't expecting a French question during the video interview, so I kind of stumbled around with that one.   1 Answer

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Human Rights Watch in June 2017.

Interview

They called for a phone interview. It was hasty and lacking real interest. They asked several questions about my personality but nothing about why I would make a great Associate or what experiences in my professional life would allow me to excel. I was cut off several times and it was somewhat rude.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Human Rights Watch (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Received an email prompt exactly 2 weeks later to complete an automated video interview. Once you opened the prompt, you made an account on a third party website to begin interview - questions were automated. Asked 5 straightforward questions about my interest in the role and how they factored in to my career goals.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Human Rights Watch (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

After submitting my application, I received an email a month later asking for an automated video interview which was 6 questions long. About a week after submitting the video interview, I had a written "skill test". I never heard from the organization after that and a month later saw via the portal that I had not received the job . This is one of my favorite organizations and have worked with them in the past, but the processed did leave me a little disenfranchised.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Human Rights Watch.

Interview

The process took about a month in total. I submitted my application online. I then had a phone interview, and then I moved on to the next round, with an assessment. Then I was called in for a face-to-face interview. They called my references and received an offer about a week later.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Human Rights Watch (New York, NY) in February 2013.

Interview

There are 3 stages: phone interview with director that is about 20 minutes, then an in person interview with director for 30-45 minutes, and then you have an hour to do a writing assignment. The assignment varies by department

Interview Questions

• Tell me something that you don't like about your current job.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Human Rights Watch (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

First, I had to submit a resume and cover letter. You were then emailed confirming an interview. You have the first interview, which is short and easy. Then, you have a skills test exam where you have to write a research report, and then a second interview with senior researcher if you make it past the exam.

Interview Questions

• The exam had you do a research report in 3 hours. Was difficult and time sensitive, but a little fun. Made it past, but got rejected after the final interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Human Rights Watch (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

I participated in an email exchange in order to assess if I met the basic requirements. This was followed by an in-person interview. I received a response about a week after my interview.

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Human Rights Watch in August 2015.

Interview

I had applied via the regular online application process and received an email about an interview. It was a relaxed conversation, but some challenging questions. The questions were mostly about my previous experience and academic research.