IBT Media Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at IBT Media

2.6

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at IBT Media (New York, NY) in February 2012.

Interview

I had a phone interview then an in-person interview. It was more of a conversation to get to know me and then he asked a little about my experience. He wanted to test my personality more to make sure people would like me. He asked me more about restaurants then he did my actual experience.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at IBT Media (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

What should have been a red flag, editors said they usually didn't hire anyone from out of state. Rather, they usually hired in New York, specifically from colleges in the area. They didn't appreciate experience. I interviewed with two editors over Skype after one phone call. They didn't tell me a whole ton about the job, and lied several times. They said there was a lot of opportunity for traveling, which was not true. When they offered me the job, they finally told me about the pay model, which is based on clicks. They offered a base salary then nearly half of the salary was on clicks. The editor promised it was "super easy" to hit traffic goals and I was "easily" double my salary. This was completely wrong. Almost the entire staff had problems with reaching these goals. My salary was much too dependent on clicks and it really hurt the content that staffers produced.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about some of the stories you've covered?   1 Answer
    • How would you handle this story in a breaking news situation? - It was about President Trump's call to end trans people from being in the military.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at IBT Media (New York, NY).

Interview

Just questions and answers. No request for clips. And no test of editorial competence, English and grammar, general knowledge of business or politics. Poor follow-up. Very odd experience because most media organizattions require some kind of qualifying test before hiring. Seemed to be very little concern for skills.

Negotiation

Some give and take on salary but very little room.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at IBT Media (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

Applied and heard nothing for 6 weeks. By the time I heard back, I was already far along in the interview process at two other places. I disclosed that, and the interview process went pretty quickly. It was excessively time intensive, with multiple tests. The organization is clearly highly focused on quantity over quality and doesn't seem like a great place to work. I did not accept.

Reporter Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at IBT Media.

Interview

Went quickly. Applied through a reference. One in-person interview, got an offer a week later. Questions were simple. Whole process probably took 20 minutes. Had to do a simple exercise, write a basic news story. Just ~200 words, breaking news. Interviewed with senior editors. Offer came from HR, who got my agreed-to salary wrong on the first pass.

Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IBT Media (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied online. Was contacted 4 months later. Started with an interview over the phone with the manager. Given instructions to pitch and create a news video in a time frame. Followed up the next week with an interview with the global executive director. Offered job following week. First interview to job offer = 1 month.

Interview Questions

• What's a news story that interests you that should be covered more?   Answer Question

Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBT Media (New York, NY) in November 2013.

Interview

Two rounds: The first round I met with the editorial director, who asked me questions I expected regarding the position. It was in his office and pretty laid-back. He made me feel comfortable. For the second round, I was interviewed one-on-one by three current staff writers. At the end, the editorial director came back in for a followup interview to discuss next steps. I got the job.

Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at IBT Media (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

Submitted application online after visiting the site. After a few days I was contacted via email about the job and asked about my experience. A day later I had a phone interview. I was later brought in for a face-to face interview then given an offer.

Editorial Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at IBT Media (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

Unenthusiastic and underwhelming. Despite the fact the position was only nights and weekends, I went into the interview with unbridled enthusiasm, eager to finally get back to work. After discussing the duties of the post, I was told I would receive a copyediting exam. Unfortunately, after taking the exam in October, they felt I did not meet their criteria.

As someone who is currently vying for employment, I am always open to pointers and suggestions on ways to improve my odds. But when I asked for suggestions on how I could have improved my answers, I never got a response.

Programmatic Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBT Media (New York, NY).

Interview

I was initially reached out via email, then 2 months later received a call asking why I was not at the office when I had no knowledge of any correspondence whatsoever. After speaking a bit more and arranging a formal meeting, I started doing research on NW/IBT Media on here as well as other sources and I must say the results are not good at all regarding employee reviews. I followed up with my concerns 2 times and received absolutely no response whatsoever. That is a HUGE red flag. I wouldn't recommend proceeding with any role here and please do some research, it's not good information out there.