IHI Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 10, 2017

2.0

Controls Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IHI (Houston, TX) in June 2016.

Interview

The interview process if very structured. It is driven by the HR team. They organize the review team and give the starting interview. You seem to interview with at least three people: an HR person, a person on the team where you might work, and the hiring manager. Each person will ask you predefined behavioral interview questions. Be ready with your STAR (look it up on google) answers.

Interview Questions

• The HR representative asked the age old, "Tell me about one time when you made a mistake or didn't deliver." It's a bogus question that everyone should be prepared for and have a canned answer to. It can't be something too bad and you better have had the best fix in the world for it.   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at IHI (Houston, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

The company that IHI used to recruit was easy to work with. They were very flexible with regard to scheduling the interview. The interviewers did most of the talking, so I didn't have to say much. I don't know if that was a good thing or a bad thing. When I was asked a question, it was something straight off of a list of standard interview questions. No original thought went into the questions they asked.

Interview Questions

• What kind of project lead experience do you have?   1 Answer

Application

The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at IHI.

Interview

Interviewed in London. Very easy. They only want to know if you speak both English and Japanese well. They're not interested in what you did in the previous jobs or what skills you have because they are not going to take those into considerations when assigning you to a department/position.

For the second and last interview with the HR staff and your potential boss they fly you to the HQ in Tokyo. That one was easy as well. Bring water with you, they won't offer you anything for an hour and half.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There's no negotiation. They don't even show you a contract or salary beforehand unless you ask. If you ask, however, they become confused because it's not common to do such thing at Japanese companies.

Procurement Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tokyo (Japan)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IHI (Tokyo (Japan)) in August 2013.

Interview

Documentary Screening
    -> 1st Interview
    -> Essay (on monodukuri) & 2nd Interview
    -> Offer

The interview was conducted only for 30 minutes each.
    As for writing essay, 50 minutes were allowed to write two essay at the same time.
    It took only two weeks from application to offer.

Interview Questions

• - Why did you apply for this position?
      - What do you know about IHI business?
      - Which business are you hoping to be involved?
      - What do you think about manufaturing (monodukuri)?
      - What can you bring about our organization?   Answer Question

Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IHI (London, England (UK)).

Interview

2 interviews, both for fit only. Easy to ace if your Japanese is good enough.
    Second interview held in Tokyo which they fly you out for. Currently only hiring from London.

Negotiation

No negotiation