Imperial Oil Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Imperial Oil Interview Questions

Updated Apr 13, 2017

3.1

Engineering Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Imperial Oil (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in January 2017.

Interview

1. Questions regarding mandatory requirements: eligibility to work in Canada, driver's license, etc
    2. Behavioral questions and answers are expected to be in STAR format
    3. Your turn to ask questions to the interviewer

Co-Op Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Imperial Oil (London, ON (Canada)).

Interview

The interview was greatly focused on character and organization/time management questions where they asked for specific examples as an answer.
    The interviewers are very nice and agreeable people, make sure to have questions for them as well! :)
    If necessary, ask for 30 seconds or a couple minutes to think before answering, what they look for is someone with integrity, willingness to learn, to improve, and driven to succeed/excel.

Interview Questions

• How have you handled multiple tasks at a time? How do you make sure to meet deadlines?
      What do you consider your weakness and how do you manage to overcome it?
      How have you handled a tense situation with a coworker/teammate in the past?
      What do you consider your best acomplishment and how did you achieve it?
      What do you consider to be your best qualities? Have you made a big mistake in the workplace or a school and how did you handle it?
      Can you describe a lab work procedure you have done this term? (since I am a college co-op student and was applying for a lab technician position)
      Answer Question

Geoscience Student - Co-op Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Imperial Oil.

Interview

Since I did not live in Alberta at the time, it was a phone interview. Few minutes prior to the interview I received map documents in my inbox in powerpoint file. All other students had to come in and had a chance to look at very large print outs of these imagines; I felt I was at a disadvantage because of the format. At the end of the interview, they reviewed the files with me and told me the answers they were looking for. Several of the images, I did not provide my best answer because I did not notice the symbols or fine details because of the format, but that was what they were looking for in the answer. I did appreciate this review.

Interview Questions

• - Asked me questions regarding the slides which had data or maps on them; Have I seen this type of data before? What is the data presented on this graph? Did I notice anything missing from this map? What would I do differently if I made this map?   Answer Question

Materials Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Imperial Oil (Montreal, QC (Canada)) in June 2016.

Interview

Interview was at McGill campus. 1 hour interview. STAR format, Applied through imperial oil website and the process took around 2 weeks before i got the interview. The interview was scheduled for week later.
    Most questions were behavioural. Resume specific question (Just 1).

Interview Questions

• What is your weakness and Name me your 3 strengths?

How you prioritize your tasks in rapid schedule changing environment?

what was a situation where you failed to achieve your stated goal?

Describe a time when you used your leadership and persuasion skills to guide your team in the right direction.
      Answer Question

Engineering Co-op Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Imperial Oil (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in June 2016.

Interview

Started the interview with basic information questions that were on the online application, then moved onto behavioral questions, and ended by asking if I had anything to add/what questions I had.
    Pretty typical interview, took approximately 40 minutes. The interviewer was a relatively new engineer and was passionate and knowledgeable about her job and Imperial.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you encountered a conflict and how you resolved it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Imperial Oil (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in May 2016.

Interview

The interview was quite relaxed. Like other reviews here, started out with screening questions on work legalities, then basics questions on achievements, your favourite course and your greatest strengths. The majority of the interview was based on behavioural questions recommended in the STAR format. At the end, I was asked if I had any questions regarding the position (which was notified to me in the beginning of the interview).

In between the interview, I was asked certain probing questions as well such as what did you understand based on your favourite course, why did you think it was important to change priorities?

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you had to change priorities to meet results.   Answer Question
    • Have you ever worked with someone who mislead team objectives? How did you handle such a situation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Imperial Oil (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in May 2016.

Interview

The interview process started with basic questions about work eligibility, willing to relocate, driver's license, etc. Then there were some behavioural questions and they were posed to be answered in STAR format. The interviewer was very polite and a good listener, making it easy to speak naturally. At the end, I was informed of a potential position they might offer. Lastly, it was open for me to ask the interviewer questions. He was very knowledgeable about the business and answered all my questions well. The interview took about an hour in total.

Interview Questions

• What was one thing you were very satisfied/dissatisfied about?   Answer Question
    • When was a time you had a conflict with a team member and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

New Grad Engineer Interview

Interview

Had the interview on campus. It was a difficult interview. You have to be well prepared. It was the behavorial format. They ask for many different situations. They were very professional and courteous. If you pass this stage, theres another one and I believe it is onsite. All in all I'm sure its a great company to work for.

Engineering Co-op Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Imperial Oil (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in April 2016.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted approximately one month after for an interview. I was given almost a week to prepare and the interview took place on campus. It was an hour long and the interviewer was generally nice. I was told the position I was interviewed for after the interview ended.

Interview Questions

• Best subject, worst subject and mostly behavioral questions   Answer Question

Procurement Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Imperial Oil (Calgary, AB (Canada)).

Interview

The interview itself was very straightforward. Applied through a referral, and was contacted for an interview about a month later. Interview was held on campus and the interviewer was personable and easy to talk to. STAR type behavioral questions, and also asked about some of the courses I enjoyed. Dealing with the HR representative was a nightmare though. They were completely unprofessional and disrespectful - after my interview they simply fell off the face of the earth and never so much as responded to an email for an update.