Indianapolis Public Schools Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 10, 2017

2.0

Interviews for Top Jobs at Indianapolis Public Schools

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Indianapolis Public Schools (Indianapolis, IN) in June 2016.

Interview

I applied online over a weekend and was asked to come in for an interview the following Tuesday. They didn't seem to care that I was from out of state. Once the interview was set, I drove out to Indy.

I got an email 10 minutes before my interview time telling me that the interview was at a different location. Apparently some secretary made a mistake. Since the new location was 20 minutes away, I had the interview on my phone in the parking lot of the elementary school I originally thought the interview was at.

He said "we're making a decision by the end of the day" and he fact they didn't make a strong effort to see me in person made me assume they already had someone else in mind, which is fine. I just thought it was extremely unprofessional and a HUGE waste of my time.

EDIT: A couple weeks later, the principal emailed me asking if I could call him. I asked him when, and he gave me a time the next morning. I had to reschedule my day around this phone call to make sure I had time to talk to him. He started talking about the rest of the interview process (even though he said they were going to make a decision on the day of my previous interview?) and after that he asked me if I have any jobs lined up yet. I said, "I have an offer", SO HE IMMEDIATELY HUNG UP. I scheduled my day around a 30 second phone call.

I've never had an interview process that was so incredibly flaky and unprofessional. I was asked for an interview in another IPS building around the same time as my 30 second phone call and I politely said no. I wasn't going to go through something like that again when I was already offered a job.

Literacy Coach Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Indianapolis Public Schools (Indianapolis, IN) in September 2014.

Interview

We introduced ourselves, and I was told that from my references that since this one particular person recommended me so highly, I was hired. From there, the "interview" was about the interviewer, his views, accomplishments, etc. Additionally, he failed to turn in my paperwork before a deadline and cost me $18,000 per year in salary. So, instead of making what I should be, I have been reduced to no M.A. and 13 years of experience for a paygrade. That's the kind of employer IPS is. Not my fault and I wasn't the one who missed the deadline, but I'm paying for it.

Interview Questions

• I was this radio perdsonality called_____ ______. Have you ever heard of me?   1 Answer

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Indianapolis Public Schools.

Interview

Online application, resume submission, official transcripts. The next step is an interview with the building supervisor. If they want to hire you, you will need a criminal background check.

Depending upon the time of year, the position, and the administrator this can be a very short or a very long process.

Negotiation

There is no negotiation.

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Indianapolis Public Schools in July 2014.

Interview

We sat down and I was asked if I had worked in a school setting before. Then we got to talking about special needs and if I was familiar with working with children who do require more one on one. Luckily, I had just been on a long term assignment as a substitute teacher previously for not necessarily kids on the spectrum, but kids that needed more attention. I had only worked with one student who was autistic. I was not familiar with nonverbal or any of the signs used to communicate. The two ladies were very informative and assured me I would be just fine and taught more about autism and how to communicate when I met the teacher the day before school started.

Interview Questions

• Would you be comfortable working in a possible aggressive at times setting? (Meaning a student with autism can get aggressive.)   1 Answer

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Indianapolis Public Schools (Indianapolis, IN) in July 2014.

Interview

Single interview with teachers, counselors, and admin. Overall was pretty easy. They asked the standard teacher questions that you see online, the only different one was what type of cookie are you and why? It was creative, but totally unexpected.

Interview Questions

• What type of cookie are you?   1 Answer

Classroom Teacher Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Indianapolis Public Schools.

Interview

-I wanted to teach in the townships but could not find a job.
    -Never did I plan on working for IPS, and I applied there in desperation for a job right out of college.
    -So, as a young teacher, I was thrilled to be selected for an interview.
    -I had only one of them before being placed in a school.
    -My principal was not welcoming when I arrived in the summer to meet him, see where I would teach, and begin to set up my classroom.
    -This was the start of my difficult, 10+ years at IPS

Interview Questions

• -Why do you want to teach at IPS?   1 Answer

Negotiation

-There was no negotiation

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Indianapolis Public Schools (Indianapolis, IN).

Interview

Varies by individual. My initial hiring (I changed positions, so had to be rehired since I went from non certified to a certified position) was into a non-certified high need area. Even though I submitted all documentation (which included from other school corporations, including out of state) in a timely manner, tracked the submissions to and from IPS, they still kept losing my information. Finally, to get the interview, I contacted the Superintendents office after 3 months of waiting. I was interviewed and hired the next day. Interviewing for a certified position was handled more professionally, by different part of HR. Initially interviewed with the main HR downtown, was hired, and then interviewed with the principal's I was given. I then chose from the offers made by the individual school principals.

Interview Questions

• "How well do you think we will work together?"

Given that I didn't know the interviewer, it was nearly impossible to answer effectively.
      1 Answer

Negotiation

There is no negotiation. They tell you what they have to offer, you take it or leave it.

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Indianapolis Public Schools (Indianapolis, IN) in June 2012.

Interview

I was a Teach For America candidate, so my experience was very different from a traditional interview. I sat down with the principal (who has since been fired from the district,) was asked three questions about why I love to teach, and was hired on the spot.

Interview Questions

• Why am I passionate about working with students of color?   1 Answer

Negotiation

N/A

ESL Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at Indianapolis Public Schools (Indianapolis, IN) in January 2011.

Interview

I interviewed in 2000 at Human Resources. This was a long time ago. It was with the HR director and the ESL director who have both since retired. They were impressed with my resume. After the interview, they asked me to wait in another room while they discussed me. Then they came out and offered me a position. Later, the school I was assigned to was not the one I interviewed for, but I still went to work there.

Interview Questions

• They asked about classroom management.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiations. Salary is according to a scale.

Substitute Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Indianapolis Public Schools (Indianapolis, IN) in February 2010.

Interview

Interviewed in February 2003, the process was pretty cut "n" dry, they just wan't to know if i had the 60 college credit hours in order to begin substitute teaching. It wasn't really like a real interview. If you pass the screen & credit hours,your hired

Negotiation

No negotiation, either you get $75 a day for an associates degree or $100 a day with a Bachelors and Retired teachers get $150 a day