Institute for Defense Analyses Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 16, 2017

2.8

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses (Alexandria, VA) in June 2016.

Interview

I applied for the job online. Got an interview call the same day that the online posting officially closed. The interview was almost a month later, but that was mostly due to my availability, which they were super accommodating about. Interview was very academic in nature - one on one meetings with director & all research staff in the division. Then I presented a one-hour research seminar which was very well attended, lots of good technical questions. Atmosphere was very friendly, conversational & easygoing.

ITS Research Analyst Interview

Application

Interview

All day interview with different groups of people. Met with HR for 15 minutes followed by a 30 minute conversation with the Department head. Very relaxed setting with her. Then presented to a panel of about 10 people: 4 peers and 6 senior members. Everyone was very well educated and presented articulate arguments to my presentation. Then we broke for an hour lunch where I talked with the peers. They seemed to be determining my personality and culture fit. Last two hours were spent with the 10 people who viewed my presentation, split into two groups of five and lasting for one hour each. Again everyone was very intelligent and the panel was more of a conversation than an interview. At the end of the day, I felt like I did well but knew that they were interested in candidates who mightve been more qualified.

Interview Questions

• What framework might one use to format the cyber-security landscape   1 Answer

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses (Alexandria, VA).

Interview

The process was slow and lackadaisical. It took exactly one week to get any correspondence back even though their Recruiter stated they prefer to move quickly. Interviewed with 3 members of the Human Resources team. Sent thank you emails and 2 follow up emails, no response. Great organization and opportunity, but poor candidate experience.

Interview Questions

• Describe a conflict you had in your last role and how you overcame it   Answer Question

Property Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bowie, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses (Bowie, MD).

Interview

First step was a phone interview describing the job and what they were looking for.

The face -to -face interview process was great. Very nice people that make you feel very comfortable.

Very relaxed discussions rather than super hard interview questions

Lasted about an hour

Interview Questions

Very low pay. I don't know why you would except that low pay for the level of security clearance required and all that is required to maintain that level of security clearance. Maybe it was just for the position I applied for?

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses (Alexandria, VA) in February 2016.

Interview

Very flexible and accomodating timeline. Met with one HR person, presented my previous research project and then was interviewed by two panels of current employeed and project leaders. Also met with director of both divisions that were interested in my application.

The presentation had a conversational tone and the panel interview was not intimidating. They were interested in getting to know me and invited me to ask a variety of questions.

Interview Questions

• What qualities do I think are necessary to be successful at IDA?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses (Alexandria, VA) in February 2016.

Interview

What a waste of time and effort. The process took approximately three months. First contacted by a recruiter for phone interview. Then two weeks later had phone interview with a person in the department. Then a week later a phone interview with a department supervisor. Then requested to submit college transcript and writing sample. A couple weeks later I was invited for a day long series of interviews and had to give a presentation. During my day at IDA Headquarters, I gave my presentation, and met with approximately 15 people, (some in group interviews and some in one on one interviews). At the end of that day I was told that they would get back to me in two weeks. A month later after hearing nothing from IDA, I had a firm offer a with another company. I was eventually able to track down the recruiter only to find out that I did not get the job. The most frustrating part this long and drawn out process, was that I was unable to ever get an approximate salary from IDA for the position. When I asked the recruiter during the initial phone interview and during my day at IDA Headquarters, I was told that salary information was IDA proprietary.

Administration Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses (Washington, DC) in December 2015.

Interview

Extensive pre-screening, telephone, and one-on-one interviews followed by large panel interview. The process took a very long time - there was not much of a sense of urgency. Very traditional approach.

Interview Questions

• How would you prepare for the change in presidential administration?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses (Alexandria, VA).

Interview

Multiple one-on-one interview conversations with staff members and HR
    Relaxed discussions rather than intense interview questions
    Discussion of tasks each staff member works on
    Basically a personality fit interview
    Free lunch with other research assistants

Interview Questions

• Why did you apply?
      Do you plan on pursuing a graduate degree?
      Answer Question

Programmer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses (Washington, DC) in September 2015.

Interview

I was invited onsite to interview with 3 employees, they discussed my previous experience,
    described the requirements of the job and why they wanted to talk to me. We spend some
    time talking about my interest and hobbies and then spent some time working thru a problem
    on a whiteboard. We concluded with a short discussion regarding security.

Interview Questions

• What do you do in your off hours to entertain yourself?   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses in June 2015.

Interview

Contacted by email about 2 weeks after submitting application. HR coordinated with me to set up half-day interview (ended up being 3-4 weeks later). Contacted by chair prior to in-person interview to hear more about the position over the phone. The company paid for all expenses to come to the interview and to stay overnight in order to be there in the morning. I met about 6 people individually, so there was not as much pressure as you get with a panel interview. Everyone was very friendly and informative about the culture and expectations as well as job duties and opportunities with the company. Received a phone call offer 1 week later.

Interview Questions

• Why this company?
      What experience do you have with data collection?
      Take me through a project you worked on [from start to finish].
      What do you want to do in the future?
      Can you talk about [this theory from writing sample] and how it applies to [discussion item provided]?
      1 Answer