JET Program Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 29, 2017

3.1

ALT Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at JET Program (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

The interview was with two other interviewees and three representatives. You have to dress in formal business attire and bring a couple of documents with you. The representatives usually vary, but there is always one person from Japan's embassy. During the interview process, aside from asking you 2-3 questions, you will be explained about the work requirements and environment.

Interview Questions

• It's been a while, but I remember being asked about my Japanese language ability. Then, they would ask how I would react to a couple of given situations (ex. if a student asked you about slavery, how would you respond?).   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at JET Program (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Difficult, but not impossible, do your research, be prepared, dress your best. They'll quiz you on the basics of being a teacher to find out if you can cut it.

Interview Questions

• How would you teach a lesson on American Culture?   1 Answer

CIR Interview

Interview

Applied for JET on their website, in February I had an interview. The first part was the reading comprehension section. I read it twice once silently and then out loud. I was then asked questions about what I read. I was then asked more questions in Japanese about my interests. After that I was given standard interview questions in English like "Why JET instead of some other exchange program?"

CIR Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at JET Program.

Interview

Submit paper application by mail->interview-> offer

It took 3 month from submitting my application to the date of interview but all the deadlines and dates are clearly provided on their website.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in the position and some random chat to confirm your Japanese level.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at JET Program.

Interview

I was seated in front of three people, a former ALT and CIR, and a Japanese woman. They interviewers were very kind and it felt more like a conversation than an interview. It was my very first interview and I was very nervous, but I think they understood that and only wanted to know how you can fit within the JET Program. They asked a variety of questions pertaining to my abilities and what I would do in a certain situation.

Interview Questions

• Pretend that you are in front of 2nd graders with the intent of them learning something about your home country.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at JET Program (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Online and mail Application, then interview. Interview really is all about getting to know you - especially your interest in Japan and passion to teach. Really recommend going over your application multiple times.

CIR Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at JET Program.

Interview

You apply online and after the initial screening you get an interview. You are interviewed by a panel of native Japanese speakers and a former CIR. First they give you a small reading test to see how strong your Japanese is. The next part consists of the panel questioning you.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at JET Program (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I was seated in front of a panel of three interviewers, two Japanese and one American. A large room was divided with a folding screen so that you could unfortunately hear neighboring interviews in progress. As I had previous experience learning Japanese, the interview was half in English and half in Japanese.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to teach English in Japan?   1 Answer
    • Do you have any experience teaching?   Answer Question
    • What interests you about Japanese culture?   Answer Question
    • Why did you study Japanese?   Answer Question
    • Please imagine that we are students who don't understand today's lesson. Explain to us "This is a pen."   Answer Question
    • What would you do if someone at a restaurant insulted Americans or got into an angry debate about culture?   Answer Question
    • How would you react if a Japanese teacher of English made a mistake when teaching a class?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at JET Program (Washington, DC).

Interview

Three interviewers with different affiliations with JET (JET Alumni President in D.C., Embassy employee from Japan, and long ago JET participant/alumnus). Two were very nice and one was very rude and asked stupid questions, and proceeded to give me funny, "unbelievable" looks when I clarified her objectively bad questions. You get funneled into a room to talk to other interviewers while you all wait for your time slot. Be aware that interviewers could be in the room, so be on your best behavior.

Interview Questions

• You don't have any experience teaching so how do you expect to teach? (She meant no experience teaching English, which she clarified when I answered fairly sarcastically due to my rich history with teaching).   5 Answers
    • What three things would you bring to represent America? (Very stupid open ended question that I struggled to answer because it's sort of ridiculous to ask someone this on the spot and expect thoughtful responses besides "the flag... George Washington's head...")   Answer Question
    • Why did you select the locations you did to work?   1 Answer
    • Oh, you say that you have a novice reading and writing ability in Japanese? Okay. Let's test your listening!   1 Answer

ALT Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at JET Program (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Panel interview with one Japanese teacher, one embassy worker, and a former JET. The questions were mainly Why JET, why Japan, and what you have to offer as an American ALT. Questions about how you would represent your culture. Some were asked to do a mock lesson so it might be helpful to prepare a simple lesson just in case. There is a small portion for Japan language ability, but claim it doesn't affect acceptance into the program. They hold up a picture card and ask you to describe what's going on. After, they asked me what I did yesterday, and to describe my favorite movie in Japanese.