JET Program Interview Questions | Glassdoor

JET Program Interview Questions

Updated May 20, 2017

3.1

CIR Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at JET Program.

Interview

Submit paper application by mail->interview-> offer

It took 3 month from submitting my application to the date of interview but all the deadlines and dates are clearly provided on their website.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in the position and some random chat to confirm your Japanese level.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at JET Program.

Interview

I was seated in front of three people, a former ALT and CIR, and a Japanese woman. They interviewers were very kind and it felt more like a conversation than an interview. It was my very first interview and I was very nervous, but I think they understood that and only wanted to know how you can fit within the JET Program. They asked a variety of questions pertaining to my abilities and what I would do in a certain situation.

Interview Questions

• Pretend that you are in front of 2nd graders with the intent of them learning something about your home country.   Answer Question

Assistant Language Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at JET Program (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Online and mail Application, then interview. Interview really is all about getting to know you - especially your interest in Japan and passion to teach. Really recommend going over your application multiple times.

CIR Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at JET Program.

Interview

You apply online and after the initial screening you get an interview. You are interviewed by a panel of native Japanese speakers and a former CIR. First they give you a small reading test to see how strong your Japanese is. The next part consists of the panel questioning you.

Assistant Language Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at JET Program (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I was seated in front of a panel of three interviewers, two Japanese and one American. A large room was divided with a folding screen so that you could unfortunately hear neighboring interviews in progress. As I had previous experience learning Japanese, the interview was half in English and half in Japanese.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to teach English in Japan?   1 Answer
    • Do you have any experience teaching?   Answer Question
    • What interests you about Japanese culture?   Answer Question
    • Why did you study Japanese?   Answer Question
    • Please imagine that we are students who don't understand today's lesson. Explain to us "This is a pen."   Answer Question
    • What would you do if someone at a restaurant insulted Americans or got into an angry debate about culture?   Answer Question
    • How would you react if a Japanese teacher of English made a mistake when teaching a class?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at JET Program (Washington, DC).

Interview

Three interviewers with different affiliations with JET (JET Alumni President in D.C., Embassy employee from Japan, and long ago JET participant/alumnus). Two were very nice and one was very rude and asked stupid questions, and proceeded to give me funny, "unbelievable" looks when I clarified her objectively bad questions. You get funneled into a room to talk to other interviewers while you all wait for your time slot. Be aware that interviewers could be in the room, so be on your best behavior.

Interview Questions

• You don't have any experience teaching so how do you expect to teach? (She meant no experience teaching English, which she clarified when I answered fairly sarcastically due to my rich history with teaching).   5 Answers
    • What three things would you bring to represent America? (Very stupid open ended question that I struggled to answer because it's sort of ridiculous to ask someone this on the spot and expect thoughtful responses besides "the flag... George Washington's head...")   Answer Question
    • Why did you select the locations you did to work?   1 Answer
    • Oh, you say that you have a novice reading and writing ability in Japanese? Okay. Let's test your listening!   1 Answer

ALT Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at JET Program (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Panel interview with one Japanese teacher, one embassy worker, and a former JET. The questions were mainly Why JET, why Japan, and what you have to offer as an American ALT. Questions about how you would represent your culture. Some were asked to do a mock lesson so it might be helpful to prepare a simple lesson just in case. There is a small portion for Japan language ability, but claim it doesn't affect acceptance into the program. They hold up a picture card and ask you to describe what's going on. After, they asked me what I did yesterday, and to describe my favorite movie in Japanese.

Assistant Language Teacher (ALT) Interview

Application

The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at JET Program.

Interview

Applied through the JET Application online, contacted for interview. While waiting for the interview slot, talked with a previous JET ALT about the experience. Waited for the interviewers to a group of us back one by one. The interview itself was conversational, with a panel of three, a coordinator for the program, a previous JET participant, and a Japanese language teacher. They asked a series of questions about experience with education and teaching, and if you indicated you could speak a bit of Japanese there was a brief Japanese language test at the end.

Interview Questions

• You could be teaching young children, how would you bypass the language barrier and make the lesson fun and educational?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at JET Program (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Very brief. I was asked why I wanted to attend, etc. Wear professional business attire; be modest in your appearance. Hide tattoos, remove piercings, etc. Be respectful and enthusiastic. Reread your application materials because they will ask you about questions based on your answers.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to go to Japan?
      On the spot mock lesson.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at JET Program (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

Perhaps it was my location, but my experience seemed shorter and easier than a lot JET interview experiences I read about online. It took 20 minutes - they timed it on the clock to get all candidates through, so I knew that a cutoff time wasn't a matter of liking or not liking me. The questions were straightforward (except one, which I've included below), and I didn't have to to do a mock lesson.

There was a panel of 3 interviewers: one was a former ALT, one was from the Japanese embassy, and one was a Japanese professor. They asked me about my teaching experience, asked me how I would represent my culture, and assessed whether I have a personality that suits the unique nature of the position. Researching the job will do you VERY well here. There was also an optional Japanese language assessment that did not affect my score, since speaking Japanese isn't required for the position.

There were 2 parts to the interview: one with scored interview questions and one with placement questions, i.e. if you need any medications, location preference, etc. The placement questions were not scored. Despite this, I was still nervous that listing my mental health medications might reflect badly on me, but I knew lying would be worse for me down the line. I emphasized my strengths and that I adapt very well (read: I won't have a mental breakdown). I got accepted, so for anyone in doubt about this, I'm proof they do accept people with mental health diagnoses.

Overall, it was a typical interview experience, and they were kind - not too intimidating. I was much harder on myself then they were. Doing my research on the position and tying it to my previous experience worked out well.

Interview Questions

• In your view, what is an American?   1 Answer
    • Tell us about a problem that you've overcome in teaching.   Answer Question
    • Why Japan / why the JET program in particular?   Answer Question
    • What are three things you would bring to Japan to represent your culture?   Answer Question
    • You may find yourself in a far-off, rural area, and you may find yourself feeling isolated. How do you do with being alone?   Answer Question