JET Program Interview Questions | Glassdoor

JET Program Interview Questions

Updated Aug 21, 2018

3.1

CIR Interview

Interview

Applied for JET on their website, in February I had an interview. The first part was the reading comprehension section. I read it twice once silently and then out loud. I was then asked questions about what I read. I was then asked more questions in Japanese about my interests. After that I was given standard interview questions in English like "Why JET instead of some other exchange program?"

CIR Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at JET Program.

Interview

Submit paper application by mail->interview-> offer

It took 3 month from submitting my application to the date of interview but all the deadlines and dates are clearly provided on their website.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in the position and some random chat to confirm your Japanese level.   Answer Question

CIR Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at JET Program.

Interview

You apply online and after the initial screening you get an interview. You are interviewed by a panel of native Japanese speakers and a former CIR. First they give you a small reading test to see how strong your Japanese is. The next part consists of the panel questioning you.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at JET Program (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

There were three interviewers. One asked questions in English, one in Japanese, and the other only took notes and did not interact with me at all. I was asked some basic questions about information from my application, then some more questions about my experience in more detail (in English). Mostly seemed intended to determine whether I would get homesick and try to get out of the contract early.
    Then the interview switched to Japanese. I was asked to introduce myself. Then I was given a short article and some time to scan it. I was asked to then read it out loud, then given some comprehension questions answer.

Interview Questions

• What experiences have you had living among people of a different culture than your own? How did you handle any troubles you had at that time?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at JET Program (Boston, MA) in February 2015.

Interview

First, receive an interview by completing the lengthy application online and then mailing in a copy. If you make it to the interview stage the difficulty is really relative to the consulate at which you interview

That being said, Boston was super friendly; the interview felt pretty comfortable. The Boston CIR interview was in English with a Japanese reading test.

Interview Questions

• Mostly standard questions. You'll be fine so long as you know yourself, the demands of the program, and what you can contribute.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at JET Program (Washington, DC).

Interview

Three interviewers with different affiliations with JET (JET Alumni President in D.C., Embassy employee from Japan, and long ago JET participant/alumnus). Two were very nice and one was very rude and asked stupid questions, and proceeded to give me funny, "unbelievable" looks when I clarified her objectively bad questions. You get funneled into a room to talk to other interviewers while you all wait for your time slot. Be aware that interviewers could be in the room, so be on your best behavior.

Interview Questions

• You don't have any experience teaching so how do you expect to teach? (She meant no experience teaching English, which she clarified when I answered fairly sarcastically due to my rich history with teaching).   7 Answers
    • What three things would you bring to represent America? (Very stupid open ended question that I struggled to answer because it's sort of ridiculous to ask someone this on the spot and expect thoughtful responses besides "the flag... George Washington's head...")   Answer Question
    • Why did you select the locations you did to work?   1 Answer
    • Oh, you say that you have a novice reading and writing ability in Japanese? Okay. Let's test your listening!   1 Answer

ALT Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at JET Program in February 2014.

Interview

Very intensive application process: small window of time (about a month in November) to submit all forms via snail mail, I heard back in late January that I got an interview, interview was scheduled for mid-February. The interview itself was not too bad; I had nice interviewers.

Interview Questions

• What three items would you bring to the classroom to represent American culture to Japanese students?   2 Answers

ALT Interview

Interview

Three people interviewed me. Don't believe what you read on the internet. They were very friendly. Asked me to do a mock lesson. THey started talking and said "We don't understand you." I felt very embarrassed that I forgot they were JAPANESE students that can't understand English. You have to use visuals, and pictures.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with the stress of living in a foreign country?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at JET Program (Boston, MA) in February 2014.

Interview

There were three judges. They will ask you every question that designed to show that you are serious about the work. If you think about it that way, you will be ahead of the curve.

Interview Questions

• Please demonstrate to us how you'd give a self introduction to Japanese students.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at JET Program (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Panel interview with one Japanese teacher, one embassy worker, and a former JET. The questions were mainly Why JET, why Japan, and what you have to offer as an American ALT. Questions about how you would represent your culture. Some were asked to do a mock lesson so it might be helpful to prepare a simple lesson just in case. There is a small portion for Japan language ability, but claim it doesn't affect acceptance into the program. They hold up a picture card and ask you to describe what's going on. After, they asked me what I did yesterday, and to describe my favorite movie in Japanese.