Jump Trading Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Jump Trading Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2017

3.2

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Jump Trading.

Interview

Apply through campus career service website. Got interview 1 weeks later. Talk briefly about the resume and research experience. Then coding question about implementing a simple algorithm. did not get an offer

Quantitative Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Jump Trading (New York, NY).

Interview

I answered every question successfully and got along with everyone. However, throughout the whole process, I got the distinct impression they were just farming me for trading strategies from my existing company. There were multiple sessions where the interviewer did nothing but prod for confidential information.

At the end they rejected with no explanation.

Because they wasted my time, I'm posting all the questions they asked here. If you're in the industry, I strongly recommend avoiding this interview.

Interview Questions

• Given a char buffer[4096], write a malloc implementation.   2 Answers
    • Given a dependency graph, write a function to return a vector of all nodes such that all children are listed before the parent. Then make the function print each node only once.   Answer Question
    • Two players are playing a game where you can pick either 1 or 2. The player that gets to 15 wins. Is there a strategy such that one player will always win and if so which player can use it?   2 Answers
    • Write a dot product of 1000000 numbers that runs as fast as possible using SSE/AVX.   Answer Question
    • Take an integer, sum the square of its digits, repeat on the result. Some numbers will converge on 1, others will converge on 89. Write an algorithm to give the count of numbers from 1 to 1000000 that converge on 89.   1 Answer

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Jump Trading (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I had an on-campus interview. My solution to the question was not the best. I realized this at the end of the interview. However, they still gave me an onsite interview. There were 3 interviews. The questions were relatively the same as the questions asked to my friends who interviewed during the previous years. Coding questions involved tricky linked list concepts. Other questions were mainly to see how familiar I was with a coding language. (This part of the interview seemed nonsensical because you learn most of these skills on the job. My school doesn't delve into the nitty gritty details about a specific programming language). I was also given a tour of the office and was dismayed by the lack of women present. Honestly, this place did not seem like a friendly or open environment for diverse individuals who have a passion to learn. It just seemed as if I was being tested on whether I knew something by heart or not. Finally, it seemed ridiculous that they were interviewing almost 10x more people than the spots they had for the internship.

Interview Questions

• Brain teaser questions...the infamous find the heaviest ball where 7 out 8 weigh the same.   Answer Question

BOLD Full Time Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Jump Trading.

Interview

Simple interview with a list of typical behavioral questions that focused on your ability to work with diverse teams and handle difficult projects/situations.
    It always helps to have specific/direct experience related to the company's work.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you had difficulty in a technical project and how did you address it?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Jump Trading.

Interview

Interview process was informal (did not need to wear a suit) and seemed to be mostly behaviorally based. The questions were not designed to be tricky. The company seemed to be genuinely interested in getting to know the interviewees, and seemed to have a start-up feel.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Jump Trading (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied on the university portal. After resume shortlisting, first round was on campus interview. Received a call after 2 weeks for on-site interview. It included 4 interviews which were all technical. Asked about systems and DSA. More weightage on C++ and bit manipulation.

Quantitative Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Jump Trading (Boston, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

I got the on-campus interview after application. The interview started from self-introduction, some questions in the rusume, and then moved to brainteasers and statistical questions quickly. They will guide you if you meet any questions.

RF Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Jump Trading in October 2016.

Interview

I applied online through Jump Trading's website. A week later, I was emailed by a recruiter to set up a phone screen by upper-level management. Two weeks later, I was scheduled to speak with an engineering manager. Very positive experience overall, and very friendly managers. Technical questions all over the map – they expect you to know just about everything that an RF Engineer would be qualified to do.

Interview Questions

• What factors contribute to latency in a microwave link?   Answer Question

SummerQA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Jump Trading (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I applied through my university CS job page and got an email for an on campus interview first and then I heard back from them within 2 weeks for an interview in the Chicago office. Had 4 hour-long interviews and lunch with the employer. Heard back after a week from that.

Algorithmic Trader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Jump Trading (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Full-day on-site interview. I met many members of the team, and was shown around the office. They put us in a pretty nice situation as well. The interviewers were mostly other algorithmic traders, though at the end we had a final interview with one of the partners. Overall, I think they treated us well and the traders were intelligent people.