Kirkland & Ellis Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Kirkland & Ellis Interview Questions

Interviews at Kirkland & Ellis

Sort:

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Kirkland & Ellis (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I was contacted by phone a couple of weeks after applying, did a 20 minute phone screen, and then came in a week later for the in-person interview. I first had to do a proofreading test; I would guess that if you have strong enough skills to be called in for an interview, you will be able to pass the test. I had to wait a little bit to meet with the HR Rep, then a couple of team members and the manager (met with each separately, never multiple people at once). It felt a lot more like they were telling me about the position rather than interviewing me. I received an automated rejection email about a week later.. and then another one for some reason a week after that.

Interview Questions

• What pay range are you expecting? What pay did you receive in prior positions?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Kirkland & Ellis (Chicago, IL) in March 2013.

Interview

I applied online and was referred by an employee. A month later I received at email from a recruiter for a possible phone interview. I had the phone interview the next day. She asked basic questions about my work experience and why I was interested in law. At the end, she scheduled me for an in-person interview the next week.

I arrived for the interview and took a basic proofreading test. It was a little tricky in that you don't know what writing format they're using (Chicago, MLA, APA, all have different rules), but if you use common sense and know how to write you should pass it easily, although apparently most people don't the first time. I passed the test and sat down for an interview with HR again. She went over the same questions again and told me everyone I would be meeting with that afternoon. I then met with the director of the department. He was very friendly, and it was much more conversational than I anticipated. I met with two supervisors after him who answered my questions about the position. I might have been too probing (I was worried that the position wasn't challenging enough and with that many hours I wanted to be interested in the work), but they were very friendly and answered everything with good humor. Lastly I met with another analyst who was also very friendly and reassuring. Overall, the interview was much more of a conversation and getting to meet everyone than an interview, which probably didn't work in my favor.

I followed up with the recruiter afterwards twice, and I never received a reply. A little over a month later I received a letter in the mail (regular mail) saying that they had other candidates who were better fit.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I interviewed at Kirkland & Ellis (Chicago, IL) in July 2014.

Interview

I initially received a call and an email from an HR contact asking that I call her for the initial screening. At the end, she invited me to come into the office for a full interview, and notified me of the proofreading task. You have to get an 80% on it (allowed two attempts) in order to continue to the next part of the interview. I don't think you really need to study for the proofreading portion. I just reviewed grammar rules the day before and passed on the test on the first try. The second portion was of the interview consisted of talking to the HR contact, an analyst, and the manager of the conflicts department separately. The interview was pretty standard. Not too difficult. Just talked about skills and things on my resume. The two conflicts people were very casual, whereas the HR person was more formal.

Paralegal Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Kirkland & Ellis.

Interview

Relatively informal. More of a fit type of interview than if you have the organizational and attention to detail skills required. Try to be friendly and engaged. They were also concerned about commitment to the firm, do bring strong reasons to be attached to the particular position. Also they spend a lot of time explaining the position do try to squeeze in reasons why you are a good match.

Paralegal Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Kirkland & Ellis in January 2018.

Interview

HR scheduled interview. Interviewed with partners and associates. Was scheduled for a second interview within months. For the second interview I interviewed with a firm paralegal and supervisor.

Interview Questions

• Explain how you helped your team during a difficult situation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at Kirkland & Ellis (New York, NY) in February 2012.

Interview

I got the interview with a legal staffing firm. I met with an HR rep. and took a typing speed test and a document review test. I spoke with the hr rep and the director of paralegals who asked me why I wanted to work in law.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Bend, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Kirkland & Ellis (South Bend, IN) in August 2014.

Interview

On campus interview for an associate position. Was actually one of the more enjoyable big law interviews- but likely depends on who's interviewing you. Feel free to say you haven't determined what practice area you want to be in yet, but if you do be prepared to discuss in detail why that area and what you know about it. Good luck!

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Kirkland & Ellis (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview process was a typical law firm process. It was structured and formal. I met with both partners and associates. It also included a group lunch. The recruiter was very helpful and provided answers to many of questions. Overall, I was very happy with the interview process.

Attorney, 1st-Year Interview

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Kirkland & Ellis.

Interview

I went for a full day interview. It included short interviews with 5 separate partners/senior associates, and a lunch with 2 younger associates. Pretty standard for big law. Everyone was nice, and there weren't any curve balls, or weird questions.

Interview Questions

• Not a ton of questions were asked, it was more of a "get to know you" type of interview. By that point, I got the impression it was more about fit.   Answer Question

Junior Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Kirkland & Ellis (Chicago, IL) in June 2018.

Interview

I would like to start off by saying that I was not offered a position at Kirkland until my second interview. Both interview processes were similar. Meeting with some managers one on one as well as two employees at the same time. I would say this is not an interview you can go into without knowing the company at least in part. Overall, people were friendly and welcoming, even though I had not been offered the position when previously interviewing. The one negative feedback item I have would be that, after my first interview process, I was told I would hear back mid-February and I ended up having to be the one to reach out on one of the last days of the month.

Interview Questions

• Are you more of a person who will get your tasks done or will you look for something to do?   1 Answer