Kirkland & Ellis Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 22, 2016

3.1

Business Development Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Kirkland & Ellis (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I made it past the phone interview stage then took half a day off work for an in-person interview. I never heard back after, not even when I followed up to ask if they had any updates. So incredibly rude and unprofessional.

Oh, and my third interviewer was not prepared at all. She refused to shake my hand(!), clearly hadn't read my resume, sang at one point, and then told me she wasn't going to ask me what my passions are because "passion is an icky word."

I guess only the attorneys are industry leaders.

Interview Questions

• Third interviewer asked me no questions. She just wanted to know if I had any questions for her.   Answer Question

Practice Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Kirkland & Ellis (New York, NY).

Interview

A lot of interviews: phone, in person with HR and department interview. HR interview was extensive with testing of proof reading and typing. Department interview was quick. I felt like when I went in for the department interview, they already had their mind made up. She barely asked any questions.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to leave your current employer? How would a friend describe you?   Answer Question

Practice Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Kirkland & Ellis (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview was Fair and simple. Grammar test included. Some people said its hard some said differently. However the test is very basic and one person should be able to do fine on it

Litigation Secretary Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Kirkland & Ellis (Houston, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

Phone interview, then met with 2 people in hr then met with 3 attorneys and paralegal. The entire process takes about 3 weeks. The first interview was the hardest. Really show your personality and stick in what your qualifications are

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I worked through a recruiter! Good luck

Human Resources Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Kirkland & Ellis (Chicago, IL) in August 2016.

Interview

The interview process was extremely straightforward. I applied through an agency and the process took less than two weeks. I began the process with a phone screen with someone from Human Resources, then a couple of hours later they scheduled my first in-person interview for later in the week. During the in person interview I did some computer testing then met with other members of my team (took about 2 hours). They called me the next morning to set up an interview with the Hiring Manager later that day. I met with the Hiring Manager for about an hour then they called a couple of hours later and presented me with an offer.

Interview Questions

• Why are you looking to leave your current position?   2 Answers

Legal Secretary Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Telephone, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Kirkland & Ellis (Telephone, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

Call from screening recruiter outside of Houston. I had applied to Kirkland & Ellis over 6 months ago. I tested, passed their tests, interviewed with the local HR after several phone interviews with the recruiter. I interviewed with two partners/shareholders I was not going to be working with. I was rejected without any idea why. The out-of-state recruiter did not call again nor respond to my calls or emails. I decided to send an email in August, 2016 to this recruiter since Kirkland & Ellis is still hiring for the same position during their expansion in Houston. She forwarded my email to another person who asked questions that had little to do with the position.

Interview Questions

• What is your current salary? Did you receive a bonus? Do you have a copy of your w-2 from previous tax year? Why do you want to leave XY Company?   1 Answer

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Kirkland & Ellis (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview process was a typical law firm process. It was structured and formal. I met with both partners and associates. It also included a group lunch. The recruiter was very helpful and provided answers to many of questions. Overall, I was very happy with the interview process.

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Kirkland & Ellis (Chicago, IL) in March 2016.

Interview

Phone Interview , kept asking if I applied before. The answer was no they probably remembered me or my name from a membership organization that I interned with. Over the phone I was told that I would be taking a word test and typing test.

When I got to the interview I had to refill out an application. Then take a computerized test. Before the test got started I had to type my social security number in the system. I though that was very strange and odd. Who/ what system directly links your social security number to take a pre-employment test?

The word test is off. A lot of the typos that would normally be corrected with basic proofreading grammer does not count with this test. For Example, titles are suppose to be capitalized and the first letter of someones' last name is suppose to be capitalized. The test marks it as wrong when you capitalize it even though that's incorrect. I feel as though the test is rigged. I just look at it as if they want people who can somehow pass rigged test and not validate true punctuation then let them be.

Lets just say if you were to highlight the whole paragraph and paste it into word, your punctuation marks would be on point and their scoring would not be.

I was also tested on Excel even though the recruiter said I wouldn't. No big deal just caught off guard.
    When you go on an interview you would like some practice time before you get tested that's all.

A computer test is a computer test, however yes there is something wrong with the system they use their scoring is off. I felt cheated to be honest since the test system did not score correctly for the word test.

Project Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Kirkland & Ellis (Chicago, IL) in January 2016.

Interview

First I had a phone interview. It lasted about a half hour. They asked a lot of basic questions- "tell me about yourself", etc. We went through every line on my resume and I talked a bit about each position. There were a few behavior questions- "tell me what you'd do if you had a conflict with your manager". It lasted about a half hour.

Then I was called in for an in person interview, that was pretty similar. I took a proofreading test that was easy to pass as long as you study basic grammar and capitalization. The interview lasted a bit over two hours and included multiple people, but the questions were pretty basic and similar to the phone interview. They stressed how intense the overtime is in the position- they want to make sure who they hire is prepared for the role.

Interview Questions

• Tell me how you'd react if you had a conflict with a peer.   Answer Question

Project Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Kirkland & Ellis in January 2016.

Interview

The interview process starts with a proofreading test. If you pass, Senior legal assistants interview you for their teams, and HR will also ask you a few questions. Everyone is very nice. You can also ask questions about the job. They really want to make sure you know that this job will require a lot of overtime sometimes.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time you had to work with a difficult person and how you handled that situation.   Answer Question