Latham & Watkins Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Latham & Watkins Interview Questions

Updated Apr 25, 2017

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Latham & Watkins (New York, NY).

Interview

Long and involved--submitted initial application then had a phone interview. Was invited back to a "recruitment event" at their office in New York, but before going I had to take 6 tests that accessed Microsoft word, excel, and powerpoint proficiency, logical reasoning and multi-tasking capability, and attention to detail. Recruiting event lasted from 10-1 and included a small group prioritization and presentation activity as well as "speed networking" with Latham employees. Everyone was nice, but very corporate. Heard back soon after from a woman who read to me off of a script to tell me that I didn't get the job.

Interview Questions

• If there was a newspaper headline written about you, what would it say?   Answer Question

Legal Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Latham & Watkins in January 2017.

Interview

I had a phone interview with an HR person who didn't know anything about the job and didn't seem interested in getting to know anything about me. When I asked for a description of the ideal person for the job, the interviewer said that there are many types of people who could fit the job, so there was no ideal person.

What kind of answer is that???

When I asked for more details on things in the job description, the interviewer said, "I'm not a legal assistant so questions about tasks would best be addressed to the hiring manager."

If this person couldn't tell me anything about the job, why the heck were they interviewing me???

I hope in the future interviews are conducted by people who actually know how to interview.

Human Resources Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Latham & Watkins (Washington, DC) in December 2016.

Interview

Pretty casual interview. Interviewed over the phone for the substitute of the HR Generalist. The whole interview was very straightforward, no curveballs. Asked a lot of the basic HR Assistant questions, if you can use scheduling software, and if your current employer knows you are looking to leave (if applicable).

Interview Questions

• What do you look for in a supervisor? How do you like to be supervised?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Latham & Watkins (Los Angeles, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Short and detailed. Very professional and friendly people who are serious about their work. They want to make sure they have the best person for each position. Ideal interview in a professional environment.

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Latham & Watkins (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

On campus interview, 20 minute screener with normal interview questions. Call back interview is five 20 minute one on one feeler interviews with a mix of partners and associates followed by a group lunch (or dinner) with fellow interviewees and associates. You receive a list of the interviewers the day before, but the list is subject to change. The main difference from other call backs is that the interviews take place in one meeting room and the associates/partners change out of the room.

Interview Questions

• No curveballs. Regular tell me about yourself, resume questions, interests outside of work and school, and a lot of allotted time for questions.   Answer Question

Business Services Trainee Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Latham & Watkins.

Interview

A brief phone interview leading to an in person group interview. The group interview consists of a brief company presentation, small group project and a interview version of "Speed Dating". After the group interview if selected, they call you for a formal interview. Overall an easy and interactive interview process.

Interview Questions

• If your friends could choose one word to describe you, what would it be?   Answer Question

Project Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Latham & Watkins (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Telephonic Interview followed by onsite interview with a panel and a small aptitude test. Basic interview. She asked why I was interested in the position and the company and the rest of the interview was more type of informative about the role and the company. Not very difficult. Explaining mainly about the previous work experience. Got an offer the following day.

Litigation Services Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Latham & Watkins (San Francisco, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Telephone interview with in-house recruiter. Recruiter said I was a very promising candidate and that I would hear back regarding next steps within a week. 7 weeks later there has been no follow up communication and the job posting has been taken down from the firm's website. I pinged the recruiter a couple of weeks ago but did not receive a response.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Latham & Watkins (Washington, DC) in March 2016.

Interview

The interview process for this position is long, strange, and not well managed in my opinion. I applied online in December and received a call (which served as a preliminary screening and interview) which led to me being invited to a group interview at the DC office in February.

At this group interview there were about thirty or so candidates that came from all over the United States (there is no travel reimbursement by the way) even though they were only going to select 15 to come back for another round of interviews and four to five for the actual positions. At this group event there was a presentation including former members of the program in addition to associates at the firm. Then we were split into teams and given about an hour to complete a presentation on the firm from what we had learned. After completing this task we had a "speed date" with the members of the firm, and went two at a time table to table. I found this to be one of the strangest things and received weird and irrelevant questions such as. "what's your favorite dessert? and Where would you go if you could go back in time?" A few days later I was informed that I had made it past this initial stage and was invited for a more formalized interview.

During the first week of March I went back for this final interview which consisted of three separate sections. The first two sections were with managers of different departments and they asked the basic questions such as what's your GPA, strengths and weaknesses, and why are you interested? The last was with two former trainees from the program and they simply took me out to coffee and chatted for a bit to get to know me a little better.

I personally feel that this process is too long and requires to much on the part of the candidate. I had to make the trek to DC twice during my school semester even though the firm would eventually only hire a fraction of those it invited. Additionally the firm required me to complete testing and write a paper to prove my capabilities and desire for the position. This required several hours of my time and I had already submitted a cover letter which stated my desire. The senior HR manager is also very disorganized and does not respond right away. Also the salary is only $40,000 until you are placed into a position, which you will still have to fight your other trainees and outside contenders to get! There are more thoughtful and thought provoking things to do in the legal field in DC that pay better and are also more considerate. I think this firm needs to make some adjustments and not simply think its prestige will continue to attract top student from top schools. Overall I do not think I would go through with this again.

Interview Questions

• If you had to pick between a desert island and a dessert island which would you choose?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Latham & Watkins (Washington, DC) in February 2016.

Interview

I had a brief phone interview with an HR representative and then was invited to their DC office for an interview. The in-person interview was broken into several sections: open networking, info session on the firm, a group activity/presentation and group interviews. There was no part of this process that I enjoyed.

The employees did not seem very engaged or motivated. I did not get the sense that this is a company where employees are intellectually challenged. The culture does not seem particularly fun nor do the employees seem like people I would want to work or hang out with.

Overall, I would recommend interviewing elsewhere. The culture seemed bad and the company does not appear to value skills or experience. I know I have better offers elsewhere.

Interview Questions

• Where is your favorite place to vacation?   1 Answer