Latham & Watkins Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Latham & Watkins Interview Questions

Interviews at Latham & Watkins

2.8

Business Services Trainee Program Interview

Interview

I applied through LinkedIn and was sent a response to complete an HireVue application within a few days. After submitting this the firm reached out with a virtual informational day.

Marketing & Business Development Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Latham & Watkins in July 2020.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter regarding the position. I was interested based on my years of experience. I researched the firm to make sure I would be a good fit before giving the green light to the recruiter to submit my resume. It took Latham almost three weeks to decide if they wanted to move forward with me. I received word from the recruiter that they wanted to do a "video interview" with me. So Latham sent me a link to the "video interview" .. well it was an "I had three days to complete a video response interview. So I logged into the portal where the system prompts you with questions, then you have a minute or two to answer (on video). I little uncomfortable at first but generally it was fine. I answered all of the questions but I felt that this was not a great way to get to know the candidates. Almost lazy on Latham's part. And a great way to screen out diversity. I get the firm is looking to be innovative, but maybe a basic 15-20 phone screen with candidates would be better than its "video interview." I had maybe 10 questions and it took about 30 minutes.

Business Services Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Latham & Watkins (New York, NY) in February 2020.

Interview

The first stage is a HireVue interview where they ask you some behavioral based questions and your basic information. If you pass the HireVue stage, you are selected to attend their dynamic recruiting event (I attended at their NYC office). The day starts at 9:00am with an introduction about the company and a chance to chat with fellow candidates and members of the company. You are then separated into groups where you are asked to complete a group exercise. The exercise is nothing intense, I believe they use it as a chance to observe how candidates professionally work and converse with others. After the exercise you are partnered with another candidate and you participate in "speed dating" style short interviews with various people who work at the firm. They ask some fun questions and really just want to get to know you.

The first half of the day ends at noon and they send all candidates out of the building for a two hour lunch break. Around 1:45pm-1:50pm you either get an email that you are selected to participate in the second half of the day or not. They split the candidate pool in half and I had the chance to experience the second half of the day. From 2:00pm-3:00pm you are sent out of the building again to get coffee with a member of the firm. I had the opportunity to chat with a member of the Attorney Support team and I learned so much from them. They are all genuinely nice people who want to share so much with candidates and get to know them. From 3:00pm-4:00pm you have three back to back one-on-one interviews with various people of the firm again. Behavioral based questions, nothing super intense.

The hardest part of the process is that the dynamic recruiting day is very long. I would recommend taking the lunch break time to relax or have a coffee to get through the second part, if you are selected. I received a phone call one week after the event that I was not selected for the job. It was disappointing because they do not cover any expenses, the only thing they paid for was my drink during the coffee chat. The process is very unique and engaging. I will definitely be applying to Latham & Watkins again in the future. Every person was genuine, sincere, and loved the firm.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to collaborate with others, what was the issue/task and how did it get resolved?

What is one thing on your bucket list?   Answer Question

Business Services Trainee Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Latham & Watkins (New York, NY) in February 2020.

Interview

A week after I submitted my cover letter, I was moved onto the first round HireVue interview (timed responses to behavioral questions and multiple choice questions). About two weeks later, I found out through email that I had been selected for the Super Day.

The first half included group exercise and speed networking (about ~8 rotations, mostly just behavioral "fun" questions). Before we broke for lunch, we were told that we would find out at the end of lunch period whether or not we had been selected for the afternoon portion of the Super Day. I would say about a little more than half of the candidates were called back. Afternoon was consisted of 3 rounds of formal interviews with people who had worked there for ~2+ years and an informal coffee chat with a current Business Services Trainee. I heard back about 3 weeks later.

I was pleasantly surprised by how genuine every one was While it was clearly still very much aligned with its corporate nature, everyone that I spoke to seemed actually happy to be spending the day talking to candidates and getting to know us. While the day was very long, the personal aspect of the Super Day really eased the stress. I would say the hardest part of the day was waiting to hear back whether or not I made it to the afternoon. Other than that, just relax and be yourself. At least to me, it felt like Latham really just wanted to let to know me.

Interview Questions

• If you have all the money and time in the world, what is one hobby you would take up?   Answer Question
    • If you could be the CEO of any company or organization, what would it be?   Answer Question
    • What do you do for fun?   Answer Question

Legal Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

I found the position online and received a response within a week. Afterwards, I received an email invitation for a video interview. It is a simple platform showing some questions, which you have to respond while being recorded. The whole process takes about 30-40 minutes to complete. Be aware, the questions are timed so being prepared and fully having an understanding of who you are and what you do is the key. If selected, you are invited to an in-person interview. This will take about 2 hours as your meeting with a group of people from different groups. Then you're told, if decided, they will test your grammar and ms office skills and have a 3rd interview. But as you can image, this is the phase were you may never hear from them again. For such a big firm, decision-making process seems too slow and over complicated. The firm has the resources and human power to go through hiring without such nick-picking habits for administrative staff, but I guess big law, its big law after all.

Interview Questions

• Have you heard about the firm?
      Why do you want to move on from your current job?
      What are your experiences with team work?
      What kind of difficulties have you come across?   1 Answer

Legal Secretary Interview

Interview

Ghosted after three rounds of interviews... Very rude. Was asked the same question multiple times. Very unorganized staff that I met with . The video interview at the start was odd.

Attorney Recruitment and Development Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Latham & Watkins (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2019.

Interview

After reviewing you application, they sent you a video interview request link. And you need to answer some questions there and record yourself. If you pass the video interview, they will arrange you an in person interview to their office.

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Latham & Watkins (New York, NY) in August 2019.

Interview

Pretty straight forward. Interviewed on campus at my law school then had a callback from 10-1 in the New York office. Heard back within a day for the callback and interviewed at the office on Friday and received an offer Monday afternoon.

Interview Questions

• Very standard questions: why law, etc. No curve balls.   1 Answer

Business Development Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Latham & Watkins (Washington, DC) in August 2019.

Interview

1. Video interview, where the applicant submits multiple pre-recorded questions: 30-45 minutes
    2. In-person interview with a few members of the team; where they ask more culture fit questions than anything: 90 minutes
    3. About a 10-14 day wait before hearing back
    4. Interview with management/direct reports; optional interview with potential teammates: 90 minutes, with the optional 30-minute interview.

Overall, my experience was neutral/positive -- I didn't love the difference in wait times between the video interview and first round of in-person interviews, and the first round-second round in-person interviews. Some aspects were disorganized, including technical issues, missing team members which was a bit annoying when having prepared specific questions after having done research, etc.

The interview process wasn't too difficult, but it was a long process with significant wait times between each round, which is hard to coordinate while also working full time at my current job.

Much of what the team preached was finding someone that is a good cultural fit, and will be a quick learner (so a background in a legal environment wasn't necessary). I had gotten to the final round, but I believe they went with somebody more experienced. They even mentioned that if a candidate is not chosen, they would follow up with feedback on their interview process. After my 2nd round interview, I did not hear anything from any team members regarding their decision. After another ~10 days, I followed back up with the recruiter and was notified that I was not being selected. When I followed up after another 2 weeks, the firm never provided any feedback on my interviews, which is really frustrating.

Lateral Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Latham & Watkins (San Diego, CA).

Interview

The interview was similar to most law firm interviews, a series of 20-minute talks with various partners in the practice group I had applied to. They had a few questions about my resume but focused most of the time on talking about the firm.

Interview Questions

• Describe the role you played in the most recent transaction you worked on   Answer Question