Lucasfilm Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Lucasfilm

2.7

Sort:

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Lucasfilm.

Interview

I had a phone interview, and a few weeks later, they wanted to fly me in to SF for an onsite interview. I asked if they would fly me out of Burbank instead of LAX, because I live right next to Burbank. I also asked if I could come in the night before, because the interview was set for 9 a.m. and I didn't want to have to wake up at 5 a.m. and have a half-day interview after that. They said they would look into these things for me, but they didn't respond -- they just bought me a ticket out of LAX for early that morning. My flight, of course, got delayed. So I was super-anxious about that. I called them and they said it was fine, but I ended up being two hours for the interview. My first meeting was with three project managers at the same time. This part of the interview was probably the best part. They asked a lot of good questions about how I work and how I would respond in certain situations. Then the next interview was with 10 engineers at once -- apparently the whole team, all sitting around a table with me in the middle, and they went around one by one and asked me mostly basic questions about front end engineering. It was a tad bit unnerving, but I think I did well. Everyone seemed to like me except one of the lead engineers, who for some reason seemed to look at me suspiciously. He asked a question about browser event capture that I answered but not quickly, and others kinda smirked at his overly serious nature toward me. Then he asked me if I ever used the framework Gulp before, and he was flabbergasted that I had not really much experience with him. I tried to explain that I came from a Ruby on Rails background (Lucasfilm is Python), and that RoR uses Asset Pipeline to handle task-running, that in fact Grunt and Gulp are copied from Asset Pipeline. This did not seem to register with him. I think I actually did fine during this phase of the interview, except for these two points. The third interview was supposed to be with the head of the group, but because I was late to the interview because of the the flight delay, she said she would have to shuffle things around and meet with me later in the day. So at that point, I had been scheduled to meet alone with the lead engineer who didn't like me to do some whiteboarding. I mentioned that I wasn't a huge fan of whiteboarding as a means of gauging a programmer's skills. I didn't in any way suggest that I didn't want to do it -- only that I didn't care for whiteboarding in general. This really pushed him over the edge, I think. He left the room and never came back. I sat there for 10-15 mins. I literally didn't know what was going on -- I thought maybe he had some scheduling conflict he had to resolve and that he would come back to the room momentarily. Finally, the admin came in and brought me back to her desk and said the lead engineer was busy and would come out to interview me in a little while. The admin kept apologizing and said the head of the group would come meet me first, and THEN I'd meet with the lead engineer after that. I ended up sitting next to the admin for about 45 mins. Finally, she got word that both the head of the group and the lead engineer were pulled into other meetings and would be unable to meet me at all. So I flew back home and got word a few days later from the internal Lucasfilm recruiter: the answer was "maybe." They couldn't say yes or no at that point, but I took it to mean no. I filed my cab receipts as expenses (which they said to do), but they said they wouldn't pay for my cab fare to and from LAX, which ended up costing me $150. Six month later, I emailed the recruiter telling him that he never gave me an official decision, that he only told me "maybe" and I never heard back from him. He apologized and said no.

Assets Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Lucasfilm.

Interview

After two phone interviews, I was brought in for a 4 hour multiple person interview where I was quizzed and asked plenty of detailed questions. I was taken around to all the cool rooms and made to believe I would be getting the position. I learned two days later I didn't get the position.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite film?   1 Answer

Unix Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Lucasfilm (San Francisco, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Basic question describing what you've done, and catching keywords. Interviewer was not particularly interested in her job and or too distracted with something that was going on in the background. 10 mins into the process she placed me on hold, then requested for a reschedule to continue the process next day due to some urgent matter came up. However she did not actually followed up during the designated time. She then apologized over email and offered another time for the week after dropping a note 30 mins after the fact. I've replied to confirm the 3rd attempt, but did not hear back from her again. Didn't think an interview process would end up like a stood up date on okqupid. All dressed up, posies in my hand, but end up dining alone.

Interview Questions

• Ask about how many nodes I've supported.
      If I am familiar with scripting, and various tools. The usuals.   Answer Question

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Lucasfilm.

Interview

1. Phone
    2. In Person: Interview was with Director of Finance
    The process was done methodically and the responses from the company were quick and efficient.
    I felt like everything was put together in a very professional fashion. I felt like the company cared about my interest and was looking forward to meeting me.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Lucasfilm in August 2013.

Interview

Long process and often left in the dark regarding where you stand in the process. When finally called back for an in person interview, everyone was very friendly during my visit. Questions weren't difficult, just the normal situational admin questions.

Linux Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Lucasfilm (San Francisco, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

The interview process was easy. Two hiring managers were participating during the the interview which was taking place over the phone. No technical questions were asked. Interview started with introduction of the company. Then I introduced myself and explained about my current environment.

Interview Questions

• Why did you mention on your resume that you are Linux Systems Engineer? What engineering work did you do?   Answer Question

Talent Acquisition Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Lucasfilm.

Interview

Had an initial phone screen interview, followed by two 90 minute on-site interviews.

It was a good experience, I was able to meet a lot of people in the Talent Acquisition team. I was a little upset that they did not give me a tour of the office. They took a while to get back to me with a response. It took 2 weeks. However they did call me to let me know that they weren't moving forward with me rather than send an email. I appreciated that personal touch.

Overall will try applying again in the future.

IT Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Lucasfilm (San Francisco, CA) in June 2009.

Interview

One day-long interview with many peers. I was not living locally at the time.

Interview Questions

• Write some Perl code for us.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They were paying me more than I asked for, and I wanted to move to San Francisco, so I accepted immediately.

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Lucasfilm (San Francisco, CA) in January 2009.

Interview

The recruiters at Lucasfilm are top-notch.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Yes, I was able to negotiate.

Personal Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Lucasfilm (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

The first interview was an informal phone interview where we discussed work history, relevant experience and a general "get to know you" kind of thing. The interviewer was nice and easy to talk to.

The second interview was in person with a few people from the department including the Art Director.

Interview Questions

• I can't remember most of the questions, but most weren't too surprising. They asked about relevant work experience, if I had a car and could do what they needed, etc.

One question that I remember is I was asked: "What would you do if George Lucas walked in the room right now?"   Answer Question