MECLABS Interview Questions | Glassdoor

MECLABS Interview Questions

Interviews at MECLABS

3.2

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at MECLABS.

Interview

Lengthy and very detailed, but each interview was different and you could tell was leading to something. There were multiple face-to-face interviews, multiple phone interviews, a skills assessment, and a personality review. All were fairly lengthy, but not too difficult to complete.

Lead Generation Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arden Hills, MN

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at MECLABS (Arden Hills, MN) in July 2013.

Interview

I interviewed for a Lead Generation Specialist position at the Minnesota location. The office itself has nice grounds, but is not in a very metropolitan location and was quite dingy. The interview process consisted of a phone interview with HR, a team interview with current employees, a Skype interview with a manager from the Florida office, and two assessments.

Each of the interviews hard very similar questions and each interviewer had obviously not conversed with the previous interviewer about my qualifications. Their questions were almost all behavioral question types and large proportion of them were negative. In each interview they asked about a time when I had done something wrong, could not complete something on time, had a disagreement with a co-worker, or had a problem working on a team. In almost all of these instances I had to make something up, because I honestly have not had that many negative experiences in the workplace. I am hard working, I get things done on time, and I try to be as easy to work with as possible. In my opinion, that they assumed I would be able to answer all of those questions- and had truly had that many negative experiences- implies that they think having negative experiences in the workplace is typical, which was a big red flag for me.

The HR interviewer was not able to clearly describe the job itself, which was a little disconcerting and it took about a half an hour. The team interviewers were very polite and fun but certainly not very charismatic or professional, and they were dressed and communicated in a frumpy manner. The Skype interviewer was very harsh and did not seem happy to be talking to me. He made it quite clear that he was not impressed by my inability to give strong answers for all of the negative-workplace-experience questions. He also framed questions like personal attacks. For example, “your assessment shows that you are…which implies you would be hard to work with, how would you manage this?” He was easily the most charismatic and well dressed of the interviewers, but because he was so negative and combative he was the least professional.

The assessments that I completed were atypical, especially for a research company. The internal validity of one was clearly compromised by age. It asked basic questions that seemed to be targeting anxiety or preparedness in the work place. For example, “do you have emergency phone numbers written down near your phone?” Clearly, most people would say no, not because they are not anxious or prepared but rather because most people have cell phones.

They sent me a rejection email stating that I was over qualified for the position and that they sensed I would not enjoy the job. At the time I felt down, but in retrospect, they were correct, in that I certainly would not have enjoyed the job or work-culture. I was also very overqualified, as I had recently graduated with honors after completing my thesis on evolutionary cognition, whereas one of the interviewers had the job I was applying for and only had a high school diploma. They strongly stressed the importance of intellectualism in the interviews, but I am quite sure that I was more intellectually and academically-focused than any of the employees. I certainly cannot see myself competing with any of them for positions in PhD programs or even masters programs in market research for that matter, which should be their expertise.

If I had the chance to do it all over again I wouldn't try to impress them any differently- I just wouldn't apply.

Interview Questions

• Like I said above, many of the questions were negatively phrased behavioral questions pertaining to instances of conflict or error in the workplace. Be prepared to talk more about your negative work experiences than your positive work experiences. If you don't have an example of a time when you turned in something late, didn't finish a project, had an argument with a co-worker, or couldn't effectively work on a team, then make them up, because they probably won't believe that you are actually just a responsible, friendly, and calculated person.   Answer Question

Web Applications Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at MECLABS (Jacksonville, FL) in July 2013.

Interview

really long process took about 2 months, was contacted by a recruiter and applied thorugh them. took a lot of personality tests just to get in the door. on the third interview they bring you in and ask you a bunch of quiestions about algorithms and make you write them out.

Interview Questions

• how would you do a join in sql   1 Answer

Web Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at MECLABS (Jacksonville, FL) in May 2015.

Interview

Initial over the phone interview followed up by a more in depth phone interview with a member of the HR team. Pretty standard questions, but they seemed a little disorganized when asking them. I then was instructed to complete a skills test, which was based around using photoshop to create banner advertisements and a simple email template.

Interview Questions

• What is a situation in which you failed to meet a deadline ? What are 5 steps to take when creating a new photoshop document ?   Answer Question

Administrative Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at MECLABS (Jacksonville, FL) in October 2013.

Interview

1. Had an initial phone screening call with Human Resources - behavioral style interview questions were asked based upon past professional and academic experiences and some skills related questions specific to the position.

2. Had to take two Behavioral Assessments - Took about an hour to complete both assessments

3. Then finally an onsite interview with the team - again behavioral style interview questions digging in deeper and also had to present a PowerPoint presentation to the team with a background about myself, why I would be a fit for the position and for MECLABS, and what strategy I would bring to the company.

Interview Questions

• Question about a mistake I had made on a project. In general behavioral questions were difficult to answer if unprepared but by the second interview had the flow down and knew what type of questions to expect.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Ask about the benefits plan and opportunities for growth and development.

Market Intelligence Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MECLABS (Jacksonville, FL) in August 2016.

Interview

Two months after I applied online I got a call asking my salary requirements. I said negotiable and asked for the range. No guidance given other than $80-90k was too high. I gave a range that I later saw via Glassdoor info was prob $20k too high, although I did get a phone interview. The second HR person thought I already knew there prob wasn't a Market Intelligence Analyst job open (she didn't even know). Those are usually promoted from within. They were looking for Research department people to get into their "pipeline." I mentioned in a nice way, I was looking for a job now and not to be in a pipleline. I asked the soonest I could hired, she said 6-8 weeks - noting it's a lengthy interview process (which I knew). I doubt it'd be sooner than 3 months. I asked when they'd make a decision if I move on and she said by Fri (2 days later). Two weeks later I got a thanks but no thanks email. I was kind of relieved because doing a PowerPoint preso about yourself for 15 min seems a little TMI. A preso about something you're interested in would be more appropriate to me. Also, the no match on the 401(k) is no great retirement plan, nor the medical ins w/high deductible.

Interview Questions

• 1) Tell me about when you had to tell a person something they didn’t want to hear.
      2) What was the most complicated project you’ve ever worked on?
      3) How did you work with a difficult person?
      4) Tell me about a time when you took initiative and did something without being asked. What was it and how did it turn out?   Answer Question

Market Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MECLABS in August 2013.

Interview

I saw the posting on campus recruiting and applied for it. Within a week, I heard about scheduling a phone interview. The phone interview was about 30 minutes. It was not so much about MECLABS as it was about behavioral questions. She asked what type of work I like the most and what type of work I like the least? And about experiences working with groups, etc. typical behavioral questions. Well, within a week, I heard that they weren't moving forward with me. The email said they are either still looking or hiring something else. I guess it wasn't a good fit for me, but better to know that sooner rather than later. No reason given as to why I wasn't a good fit. I guess it must have been the way I answered something.

Also, if you move forward there is a 7-question Excel test and a PowerPoint presentation about yourself.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MECLABS (Jacksonville, FL).

Interview

Extensive and dragged out. There are three interviews (HR phone interview, in person with direct team, in person with people outside your team). Then, when that is finished, you meet with the CEO. He has a fancy office to woo people over.

The type out everything that you say in the interviews and purposely drag out the silence to make you feel awkward. For some reason, they didn’t turn on the lights for our interview.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MECLABS in September 2013.

Interview

1) The HR Assistant and I coordinated a time for a pre-screening.

2) The HR Manager and I talked the following week for 30 minutes. She was nice. She wasn't too "HR", only asking the questions; it was more of a friendly/informative conversation - which I liked.

3) The HR Manager passed her notes and observations to the HR Director, who decided not to have me take the 45 minute personality test or do a second interview. I received an email with this information that same week. Process over : (

I'm not sure what they are looking for. I thought the talk went well. I am qualified, possibly overqualified for the position.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had a conflict within a team.   Answer Question

Research Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville Beach, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at MECLABS (Jacksonville Beach, FL) in December 2011.

Interview

My initial interaction with HR was very positive, they were very polite and moved quickly to schedule a phone interview following my application. However the interviewer had little knowledge of the job itself and was unable to answer the majority of my questions. There was a question on the application requesting salary expectations which I elected not to answer as this should be an in person discussion. They asked again in a followup email which I again politely responded to by saying I was more concerned about a good fit and that we could surely work out salary details later. During the phone interview they finally revealed that the "generous starting salary" mentioned in the job posting amounted to $35,000. I was a little stunned at this and ended up sending a polite followup email excusing myself from consideration due to the lack of appropriate compensation.