MapQuest Interview Questions | Glassdoor

MapQuest Interview Questions

Updated Jul 14, 2017

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at MapQuest (Denver, CO) in May 2017.

Interview

Initial Phone screen with Recruiter.
    - General questions about experience and language, tools that I have worked on. During this phone screen, the recruiter asked what is your salary expection? Told her, this is what I will be targeting, She literally said "isn't that bit much". She had a non american accent. I was like that is what other companies are willing to offer.

Then there was phone screen with manager and another engineer in the team. This was normal, talked about experience and bunch of technical questions around my responses.
    Phone screen went well, they scheduled me for 3 hr In person at the Downtown office

The office is located right off of 16th street mall which is not too bad. The personal interviews started with the teams withe members of the team taking rounds to interview me.
    Most of the tech questions were around white boarding what I have worked on previously, find solutions to the problems they present and explain why you would take that approach.

After the 3 hr interview, they invited me for another round of 1.5 hrs in-person but I declined it. here is my thought, if you are willing to work at a chaotic company where employees have no place for table to work. Do apply and go for it. The employees are sitting wall to wall(inch -inch).

It was not bad overall. But one to many rounds of interviews

Interview Questions

• Write a diagram of a model, architecture of the Stack you working on?
      here is the problem, give me solutions how to approach and why.
      All White boarding of course   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at MapQuest (Denver, CO) in November 2016.

Interview

I was contacted via a recruiter with an opportunity to interview for MapQuest in their Denver office. I had no phone screen just brought in directly for an on-site. The office was an open layout and had the "start-up" feel. I had two sets of whiteboarding questions from two pairs of potential teammates. Each session lasted around 45 minutes. The first round I was asked a simple programming question. However, one of the interviewers was totally unprepared and he admitted it. I got the feeling neither had actually looked at my resume before even stepping in the room. This is very unprofessional and a red flag. The second set of interviews gave me another programming question to whiteboard. The dev asking the question had difficult describing the question. He told me, "Man, it's been a long time since I asked this question". After about 10 mins of trying to explain the question, I was writing my solution on the board and asking questions about the intended solution. He was very unclear in answering my questions still, as if he didn't know the exact question himself. After finishing what I could only guess was the solution due to lack of information from the interviewer, the two interviewers, one that was leading and asking the question and the other who sat quietly the whole time, began to argue if my solution was correct in front of me. Again, very unprofessional to not be prepared for the interview and argue in front of the interviewee. Lastly, I met with the hiring manager. He had only been at the company a few weeks. We had a good discussion and he was a very likable. However, he asked me how I felt the interview went, were the questions too easy, too hard, etc. I didn't have the heart to tell him his team needs training on how to interview. Bottom line: They are unprepared, unprofessional, lack coordination and pull from a set bag of interview questions.

Interview Questions

• Write a program/function to give the change in the least number of coins for an amount under a dollar.

example:
      input: $0.76
      output: 3 quarters, 1 penny   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at MapQuest (Denver, CO) in September 2016.

Interview

Talked with a recruiter. Then I was given a code test that was pretty straight forward. Then an in house interview. Overall the process from beginning to end took about a week and a half.

Interview Questions

• Explain oop concepts and design patterns. What testing frameworks have you used? How do you know when you're done testing?   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MapQuest (Denver, CO).

Interview

Phone screen, phone interview with hiring manager then 4-5 hour interview onsite with various people. Overall the process was pretty standard. Everyone was super nice and helpful in answering questions. Your interview questions will vary but be prepared to answer a lot of cultural fit questions as you will meet with a Cultural Ambassador who will sign off on fit.

JAVA Contract Opportunity Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MapQuest (Denver, CO) in May 2016.

Interview

Whiteboards! All Whiteboards!
    I have an expectation that an interview is a two way street, and NOT just ATTACK! ATTACK! Prove It! Prove It!
    ...and then limited to the last 2 or three minutes of each session to "what questions can we answer for you"?

Sadly, this is how MapQuest Plays!

Through this 2 hour process, NEVER heard how my skills, knowledge and abilities will help MapQuest meet their goals and objectives, and THEIR OPINION of why I was chosen for this interview.

I stopped the interview short after 2 "Jr" staff programmers starting arguing with each other over the correct answer to an interview question, (which BTW: BOTH had wrong!)

Total Waste of my Time!

OH, and I had to pay $27 for downtown parking, just to leave!

Interview Questions

• One whiteboard exercise dealt with an issue involving the "Mapping" industry:
      Basically the problem was how would you know when you were midway through a route, so that targeted "advertising" could be shown to a mobile user with MapQuest.

(Kind Reader: Do you NOT think this goes WAAAYYYY beyond a problem solving hypothetical?)   1 Answer

Principal Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MapQuest (Denver, CO) in February 2016.

Interview

There were multiple phone interviews and an onsite interview with 5 30 minute meetings with various levels of the company. The process was extremely organized with automated scheduling and timely follow-ups from the recruiter. All of the interviewers were extremely professional and cordial. Between interviews, the recruiter stopped by to ask if I needed anything: coffee, restroom break, etc. There was a cultural ambassador that interviewed with me to ensure I would be a good fit.

Interview Questions

• If you were on the cover as the feature article of a magazine, what magazine would that be?   Answer Question
    • Describe the role of the product manager in an Agile development process.   Answer Question

Visual Designer User Experience/UI Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MapQuest (Denver, CO).

Interview

Long and Tedious. 4 1/2 weeks to be exact. Took a great deal of time to get a response from stage to stage. Interviewed with a total of 10 different people.

Interview Questions

• This place isn't a very "Creative" place why do you think you'd want to work here?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Don't lowball yourself like I did. AOL has some deep pockets.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at MapQuest.

Interview

Denver's hottest downtown workplace ... is MapQuest.

After being enticed into applying several times and taking an on-line coding tests, I finally went in for a interview. This time it was a short phone screen, then an interview in the office.

This Google wanna-be has everything. Free snacks, toys, props, yoga, kamikazes, a massage chair, polished concrete floors, vitamin water, that snooty apple-user vibe, and half of an old boat at the front door.

The office theme is either Gilligan's Island or an ill-fated spin-off of The Internship. They say to dress comfortably because everyday is Friday at MQ. Business casual is over-dressed when your would-be female manager dresses for an interview in a cut-off Belichick hoodie. What a way to represent your company to potential employees.

If you want to dress for work like you're a poor college student or share mice with the guy who bikes 10-km to work - this place is for you! Did I mention the free snacks? They are very proud of that for some reason.

The interview was more are you cool and nerdy enough to be in our club than skills assessment. Do you do it like we do, because we do it right. And, everything works better on a MacBook - everyone just knows that, right? Do you regularly attend user groups?

Overall - disappointing, pretentious, and unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• Do you attend user groups? (Asked twice.)   Answer Question
    • I found this puzzle on the internet last night and solved it with my wife, you solve it now.   Answer Question
    • What is the syntax of a for loop? (Yes, really.)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at MapQuest (Denver, CO) in March 2015.

Interview

As a previous interviewer and the now being an active contractor, I will say the process is very fair for both parties. An interview should give both parties the opportunity to make a good decision on whether to pursue an opportunity and I believe MapQuest did a really good job of that.

Most interviews for developer positions will include some form of code test. The at home code test was excellent in showing general development knowledge and problem solving skills without being lame and asking ridiculously impossible or tedious questions.

The in person interview was also very timely and fair. I was able to easily display my skill set and leave them with the knowledge they needed to choose to hire me or not. I also was given the opportunity to ask employees of different skillsets and roles various questions that I found to be important.

Lastly because i was able to meet with several members of the team, I was able to get a good sense of the culture. I'm a big culture person so it was important for me to know what i was looking at.

I found the process to be fair and timely, I only spend about 2 hours and they got back to me literally that day. That mean i went really through the entire process in 2 days! I don't know what more you would want from an interview process. I will definitely take some notes and reuse some stuff from it.

I also want to take a shot at the Mac shop comment someone else posted, that's just ridiculous.

Interview Questions

• Diagram a classic example of a factory and inheritance. Diagram an example of a factory and inheritance in Javascript. Explain the differences.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MapQuest (Denver, CO) in February 2015.

Interview

One hour talk on the phone with manager due to being in jury duty.
    They worked with me and waited for me to finish my 2 week jury duty. While I was in jury duty they had me do a programming test regarding morse code.
    After my jury duty was finished I was brought in for a 3 hour interview.
    Talked with my manager first for typical questions like desired salary and various cultural questions.
    After that two developers asked me various javascript and AngularJS questions.
    Finally the principal engineer asked me more front end/javascript questions.

Overall I think the questions they asked were valid and realistic for a front end development role. I was happy not to get asked any stock Google questions that have no relevance to the position like so many companies now-a-days does.