McMaster University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McMaster University Interview Questions

Updated Jun 9, 2017

2.5

Program Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McMaster University.

Interview

The program assistant position is specifically targeted at Social Sciences graduates. They will send you an email to their target audience, and you can send in your resume and cover letter. A week after the deadline you should get a call to come in for an interview. They only call people who are selected for an interview. They give you time options, and then you can choose the date and time that works best for you. I was interviewed by three people, the atmosphere is very friendly and welcoming, but the interview questions were very specific and situational based questions, making the interview quite difficult. It seems they look for very creative individuals who can problem solve, and have leadership qualities that can engage the disinterested.

Community Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McMaster University.

Interview

Positive interview process with multiple sessions which were all individual. Sessions were very behavioral in terms of understanding your rationale for applying for the job, how you deal with conflict, how you multitask and to communicate effectively.

Interview Questions

Interview

The interview process was simple and straightforward for an international student. All is really needed is a strong research statement. Always be confident and sure about your objective in general for working in academia and in research and development. Hands on experience is an asset and helps you a lot. Computer skills and how to showcase them.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at McMaster University.

Interview

It was simple, emailed, follow up email, skype interview. They contacted me and we spent some time discussing pay, how much time I had to offer. We discussed duties, jobs, expectations.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want this job? What type of research do you do?   Answer Question

Bistro and Restaurant Waiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hamilton, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at McMaster University (Hamilton, ON (Canada)) in January 2016.

Interview

Talked to the manager and handed in my resume. Did the interview the next day. The interview was about 10 to 15 minutes. Very general questions at the beginning and questions that you would expect to show up in a typical interview. I wasn't required to dress up and we did the interview in the restaurant.

Interview Questions

• What are your experiences?
      What do you think that you are suitable for this job?
      What are some of your strengths and how can they help you at the job?
      How to handle a situation when there is an irritated customer or a quarrel among your coworkers?
      Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hamilton, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McMaster University (Hamilton, ON (Canada)) in January 2016.

Interview

Talk to a supervisor with a grant. He or she will let you know if there is a position available. They have a lot of work as McMaster is has been good at developing funding opportunities in the past.

Interview Questions

• Can you do the work required?   1 Answer

Post Doctoral Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hamilton, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at McMaster University (Hamilton, ON (Canada)) in November 2015.

Interview

At first, My interview was phone Interview and then In Person Interview with departmental Chair,Physics and Astronomy Department, at Mcmaster University, Hamilton. After then I got offer from the university to work as a post Doctoral researcher position. Finally, I have started to work at McMaster university. Mc Maste University is a very good university and I am very happy to start work at this re known university. Even though this interview was very tough for me when they asked me about my theoretical question about physics.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at McMaster University.

Interview

Very easy. Normally assigned a job if enough positions are available but can ask to be a TA for a specific course/professor (may not always get requested course though). Can take on extra TA hours with the authorization of your supervisor and based on availability.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hamilton, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at McMaster University (Hamilton, ON (Canada)) in September 2015.

Interview

The interview process was basically the discussion of the job ad, posted online. I received a lot of clarification in person and even got insights of what past interns have done to succeed in the position.

Technical Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hamilton, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McMaster University (Hamilton, ON (Canada)) in May 2015.

Interview

I had a referral from someone internal, so I bypassed the HR screening interview and went straight to an interview with the hiring department. It seems to be a necessity to know someone at McMaster in order to get your resume seen.

Took about 4 weeks to arrange the interview. Interview itself went well, managers asked relevant job specific questions and situation specific questions. They didn't ask any of the typical annoying interview questions like "what is your greatest weakness" or "where do you see yourself 5 years from now."

Although it took four weeks to arrange the interview, I was offered the job one week exactly after the interview.

Interview Questions

• Aside from what you've answered in previous questions, what else can you tell us about how your experience and viewpoints would benefit the work?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I easily negotiated salary and start time. They were very accommodating to my personal schedule; I had booked a vacation with my family several months before which happened to be on the proposed start week. The manager allowed me to start later than intended to accommodate that time.