Mercy Corps Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Mercy Corps Interview Questions

Interviews at Mercy Corps

2.8

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Mercy Corps (Portland, OR) in February 2014.

Interview

The Interview process was pretty simple - I had an initial phone interview that lasted about 30 minutes and then an in person meeting that was more like a conversation and an offer at the end.

Interview Questions

• What type of related experience can you bring to this position?   2 Answers

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Mercy Corps.

Interview

I heard about the position through my university and sent my resume and cover letter via email. I went to the DC office for an interview at the end of that week. The interview was straightforward and specific to my experience. Within 2 days, I was scheduled for another interview over the phone with my supervisor. This was a shorter conversation and ended with the offer.

Interview Questions

• -What experience will you bring to the position?
      -Elaborating on experiences listed on my resume
      -Discussing quantitative and qualitative research skills
      -Discussing sector interests   Answer Question

Campaign Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mercy Corps (Portland, OR).

Interview

I was initially reached out to by the HR department for a brief, 15 minute phone interview. Many of the questions were pretty normal given the nature of the position. Soon after, I interviewed a 2nd time in person with the individual hiring and two of his/her colleagues. Unfortunately, I was not offered the position and I am sure they found a better fit (as I don't feel I would have integrated well into that particular team). But I came out of the interview feeling that the individual hiring had a been a bit rude and appeared disinterested in being present, as he/she very obviously kept looking at their watch/the clock to check the time throughout. One of his/her colleagues had also asked which non-profit organization I would equate Mercy Corps to, to which I responded that I was most familiar with Red Cross, and apparently this was a humorous answer. The reality is that its unprofessional to even ask an interviewing candidate to compare the company to another, that's not the purpose in getting to know a potential employee. Overall, I wouldn't intend to apply for a position with this organization again as I just feel there are better options for MBA graduates looking for experience and a positive work environment.

Talent Acquisition Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mercy Corps (Portland, OR) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied through LinkedIn and heard back from a Recruiter within a few days via email. We scheduled a phone call and had about an hour long conversation.

From my years of recruiting experience, the first call is a casual introduction and high level introduction to the technical background, but also involves digging for career motivators, core values and the soft skills that would make a great team fit...

This call was pretty unimpressive in that the recruiter spent about 80% of the time talking about her and the restructuring of the team (red flag!), with 20% dedicated to a pretty shallow conversation about myself with no thought provoking questions.

After our call, there was absolutely no follow up. Just radio silence. Any good recruiter knows that closure is one of the biggest pain points for candidates in the application process, especially passive candidates. It's disrespectful, unprofessional and most importantly in this case, provided confirmation that regardless of the mission and vision of Mercy Corps, this is not a Talent Acquisition Team I'd want to work with.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Tell me about your global travel experience.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mercy Corps in April 2018.

Interview

Phone interview from Portland. It was 40 minutes long. I was asked many broad questions from describe your motivation behind your career advancement to what was the most inspiring professional experience for you?

Interview Questions

• What is the key factors in efficient market knowledge management?   1 Answer

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Mercy Corps in June 2016.

Interview

My interview consisted of four phases - 1) a phone screen, 2) a large panel interview with approximately 10 people, 3) a technical skills interview with a panel, and 4) the submission of a proposal based on my technical skills interview. It was time consuming, but the panel was eager to know more about me and welcoming.

No salary was posted for the position. The HR recruiter requested my salary expectations after my phone screen. I demurred based on not having an opportunity to ask questions about the position. My salary expectations were again requested by HR after my first panel interview. I complied and submitted a defined salary range, and received no response except a request to return for a third interview.

After a successful reference check I was offered the position with a salary that was 80% of the low range I had submitted. I do not feel like my salary expectations (requested many times by HR) were taken seriously, based on Mercy Corps' continued requests to interview despite its budget not aligning with my compensation needs. Another possibility is that HR has poor communication with program staff. Either way, it was a disappointing experience - the lack of transparency made me feel like MC was not negotiating in good faith. I declined the position.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your experience working with diverse communities.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Mercy Corps (Portland, OR) in April 2014.

Interview

Very long. It took 4 months from start to finish until I was offered the job. There is little communication with candidates during this long process and the system has no updates. It's very much a castle on the hill and they act like this during the interview process.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

easy

Advocacy and Policy Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Mercy Corps (Washington, DC) in November 2015.

Interview

I submitted my application/resume/cover letter online and I believe they are accepted on a rolling basis. I got an email setting up an interview, a week later and showed up and met with the woman the front desk. The interview was casual and the atmosphere was comfortable. The woman has originally an intern as well so she answered a lot of questions I had. I was told I would hear back within two weeks. After three weeks I emailed them asking for a response.

Interview Questions

• Answered questions relating to experience in quantitive and qualitative research as well as advocacy experience.   Answer Question

Brand Asset Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Mercy Corps in October 2018.

Interview

An HR representative contacted me several weeks after I submitted my application to set up a phone screen interview. The phone screen turned into both HR & the hiring manager on the call. Several basic behavioral and "describe a time" questions. On that call, they said they were wrapping up interviews and planned to contact me within a week. However, after a bit of back and forth, a few weeks later I was told they had chosen another candidate. They were very honest and pleasant. I hope they found a good fit for the position

Interview Questions

Mercy Corps Response

Dec 3, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Advisor

Thank you for your note. It means a lot that, even if not selected, you felt that the process was a positive one. Good luck in finding your next role!

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Mercy Corps.

Interview

It was casual and not too difficult. They asked many behavioral questions and why you wanted to apply to the internship and asked about my previous experiences. The process went relatively fast, recruiters were friendly and responsive.

Interview Questions

• What is one recent issue you are worried about or have paid attention to?   Answer Question