Mercy Corps Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 6, 2017

2.6

Talent Acquisition Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mercy Corps (Portland, OR) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied through LinkedIn and heard back from a Recruiter within a few days via email. We scheduled a phone call and had about an hour long conversation.

From my years of recruiting experience, the first call is a casual introduction and high level introduction to the technical background, but also involves digging for career motivators, core values and the soft skills that would make a great team fit...

This call was pretty unimpressive in that the recruiter spent about 80% of the time talking about her and the restructuring of the team (red flag!), with 20% dedicated to a pretty shallow conversation about myself with no thought provoking questions.

After our call, there was absolutely no follow up. Just radio silence. Any good recruiter knows that closure is one of the biggest pain points for candidates in the application process, especially passive candidates. It's disrespectful, unprofessional and most importantly in this case, provided confirmation that regardless of the mission and vision of Mercy Corps, this is not a Talent Acquisition Team I'd want to work with.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Tell me about your global travel experience.   1 Answer

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Mercy Corps in June 2016.

Interview

My interview consisted of four phases - 1) a phone screen, 2) a large panel interview with approximately 10 people, 3) a technical skills interview with a panel, and 4) the submission of a proposal based on my technical skills interview. It was time consuming, but the panel was eager to know more about me and welcoming.

No salary was posted for the position. The HR recruiter requested my salary expectations after my phone screen. I demurred based on not having an opportunity to ask questions about the position. My salary expectations were again requested by HR after my first panel interview. I complied and submitted a defined salary range, and received no response except a request to return for a third interview.

After a successful reference check I was offered the position with a salary that was 80% of the low range I had submitted. I do not feel like my salary expectations (requested many times by HR) were taken seriously, based on Mercy Corps' continued requests to interview despite its budget not aligning with my compensation needs. Another possibility is that HR has poor communication with program staff. Either way, it was a disappointing experience - the lack of transparency made me feel like MC was not negotiating in good faith. I declined the position.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your experience working with diverse communities.   Answer Question

Advocacy and Policy Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Mercy Corps (Washington, DC) in November 2015.

Interview

I submitted my application/resume/cover letter online and I believe they are accepted on a rolling basis. I got an email setting up an interview, a week later and showed up and met with the woman the front desk. The interview was casual and the atmosphere was comfortable. The woman has originally an intern as well so she answered a lot of questions I had. I was told I would hear back within two weeks. After three weeks I emailed them asking for a response.

Interview Questions

• Answered questions relating to experience in quantitive and qualitative research as well as advocacy experience.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Mercy Corps (Portland, OR) in April 2014.

Interview

Very long. It took 4 months from start to finish until I was offered the job. There is little communication with candidates during this long process and the system has no updates. It's very much a castle on the hill and they act like this during the interview process.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

easy

Sr Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Mercy Corps (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in November 2015.

Interview

Many interviews! 5 overall with a test. I was not in a hurry but had I been I am not sure I would have stuck around for as long as it took.

Interview Questions

• Describe the role I take normally when working in a team.   1 Answer

Meal Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ḩawwārah, Amman Governorate (Jordan)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Mercy Corps (Ḩawwārah, Amman Governorate (Jordan)) in November 2015.

Interview

The application was posted on the internet, many application were received, I was the only applicant to apply internally. but no one was hired!!! that has been for 9 months now, an here i am, acting manager, doing all the tasks and duties of a MEAL manager, but without being hired!

Interview Questions

• What is your vision for the MEAL department?   1 Answer

Digital Financial Capability Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nairobi (Kenya)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Mercy Corps (Nairobi (Kenya)) in March 2015.

Interview

It was very short. It look less that a week from the time I sent in my CV until the time I got a call back with an interview date. The interview itself was more of a conversation than an interview. It was really positive

Finance Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kabul (Afghanistan)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mercy Corps (Kabul (Afghanistan)) in December 2014.

Interview

Interview was very interesting and asked questions about financial and also asked about education and experience at the end of interview I do not have any questions and concerns about company

Interview Questions

• Introduced your self and ask accounting questions   1 Answer
    • Asked about previous job salary   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was nothing

Human Resources Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gaziantep (Turkey)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Mercy Corps (Gaziantep (Turkey)) in October 2014.

Interview

They asked me a lot of questions and it was even nice to enter an interview. I saw their vacant post on web. (AB Ilan) then applied online by e-mail. They called me for an interview and after the interview procedure, they asked me for my previous company payroll. But i got an another offer from another company and they were paying good and my friend was working there. I did not now about MC. I decided to go good pay company also in order to work with my friend there.

Interview Questions

• How you handle stress and pressure   1 Answer

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jakarta (Indonesia)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Mercy Corps (Jakarta (Indonesia)) in December 2013.

Interview

The interview process occurred over Skype with my future supervising manager. Overall it was a very comfortable and positive experience. We covered the basics and also what I hoped to get out of the internship and how I would be able to integrate my interests within the current program activities.

Interview Questions

• What experiences do you have that would help you contribute to the current team and mission?   Answer Question