Meritage Homes Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 14, 2017

2.7

New Home Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Meritage Homes (Atlanta, GA) in May 2017.

Interview

A short email with a schedule of times to come to a hiring event. It was about 40 people at the hiring event. Four employees explained the company and what they will bring to the Atlanta, GA area and the homes being built. After 15 minutes they invited 4 applicants at a time to 4 tables behind a screen. No one was hired on the spot and all the conversations were open like a networking event. I received an email with they are going with someone else. Initially they were building at least 8 new communities now I look online they are building 27 communities. I think they already had a pool of applicants selected and this was just a learning and networking session to get the Meritage Home name out there to buyer agents. I plan to visit every home being built and hope see at least one black man.

Interview Questions

• Tell me more about yourself?   1 Answer

Sales Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Meritage Homes (Houston, TX) in May 2017.

Interview

It was your typical cattle call, except everyone forgot to show up. The Executive team seemed to believe that was due to traffic...I actually thought that would work to my advantage, also I was recommended by a friend, who was able to get me scheduled for the cattle call.

I interview very well. What was hard for these folks to comprehend was I was a seasoned sales professional not a newbee. They (sales managers) did not like that my salary had probably been consistent with theirs currently or more, I think if I would have said less I would probably gotten the job .

Interview Questions

• They asked me about the sales process, which I thoroughly understood.

My take away is they probably felt I was not teachable, which was totally not true. If I had learned the sales process I was accustomed to so well, that means I was teachable and could perfect a system and process.

I was extremely shocked when I got the email declining moving forward in the hiring process. I believe I was probably overqualified...I don't know how when I visited some of their model homes and the people they do hire are not good and do not have the talent I have. I was really shocked...they wanted someone with a lower skill level.   Answer Question

Senior Talent Acquisition Interview

Interview

30 minute phone conversation with 2 members on the TA team. Pretty standard discussion but what I did not like in anyway is they asked what my salary was and what I wanted to make but they refused to tell me what the salary range was because team level employees were on the call. It's very unprofessional to ask salary related questionshbut then not disclose what the range is because team members are on the phone. If that is how they look at it, then said team members do not need to know what I was making and what I want to be making. I was not asked to move forward but I got a personal call letting me know about getting declined which I thought was a nice touch.

Interview Questions

• Take us through your resume, Why are you interested in Meritage Homes, etc.   Answer Question

New Home Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Meritage Homes (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Phone interview w corporate first went great. He asked the normal questions you'd expect . Then he had me do a psychological profile test and I had an interview locally . Apparently from looking at how well you do math and logics equations , they can tell whether or not you'll drink the Kool aid.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you were in conflict w another employee and what did you do to solve it   1 Answer

Negotiation

No. They didn't negotiate at all but I didn't try because there are no negotiations in this field.

Sales Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Meritage Homes (Tampa, FL) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview process was a bit detailed . I had one in person interview, since the president knew me than I had 4 phone interviews . they all pretty much asked the same qts about . Structure Selling holding team accountable and how to handle performance issues .

Interview Questions

• If I believed in and understood Jeff Shore 4-2 selling process and if you would be able to support Meritage way.   Answer Question

Operations Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boynton Beach, FL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Meritage Homes (Boynton Beach, FL) in October 2016.

Interview

I was originally contacted by email and then by phone by a talent coordinator in the company.

I was asked to take a personality test which asked that I check the descriptions that I thought the employer was looking for and then the words I would use to identify with my own personality, examples: calm, patient, team player, shy etc.

Then I had a phone interview which had to be rescheduled as the talent scout was busy, the next day she failed to call on time and emailed that she would be avail the following day. I eventually spoke with her and it was basic questions. Then she made an apt for me to have a face to face interview which had to be rescheduled as the supervisors needed more time to prepare.

Had a face to face meeting a week later and the guy I interviewed with had a great personality and strong work ethic. He advised he had been with the company just 4 months. We went over my resume and he advised he still had other candidates but my resume looked really good and ideal.

A week later a lady at the office, also really nice called to ask if I could come in and meet with the Vice President which was later that week.

Then the talent scout emailed me and advised me to go online and submit my application/resume on there as well as part of the procedure. So I did.

A few days later I went and met the VP, she was about 15 min late to the interview while she was running around the office. She came in, and the prior interviewer joined her and they asked me questions and asked if I had any. She gave me her card and said she would be in touch as she had a few more candidates to interview. Personally, I thought it went well.

By the end of the next week I sent her an email, following up on the interview and seeing if they had made any decision. She never responded... crickets...Then a week later I emailed the talent coordinator asking of a decision had been made as I did have opportunities elsewhere but zero response. Very unprofessional.

Senior Market Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Meritage Homes (Irvine, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

An in-house recruiter contacted me through Linked In. They explained the job, salary,etc, explained the situation (staffing up, new office etc.,) basically a first interview. I sent them my resume. I researched the company, called a few past and existing employees. They were guardedly positive. I then had a second skype interview. I didn't make it past the second interview. The interview was strange in that the person interviewing me seemed interested initially and then lost interest completely. It was either they figured out my age from my resume or they didn't like my level of excel skills. The pay was about $90K which is pretty standard. I did hear later through other people in the industry that Meritage is a pretty difficult work place - churn and burn environment. Not interested in repeating that kind of work environment so it worked out for the best.

Interview Questions

• They asked about my spreadsheet skills, I don't think they liked my answer.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Meritage Homes (Raleigh, NC) in February 2016.

Interview

Interview was phone with HR person. First question really hit hard and would not move on was salary. I said that I was looking for market range and the interviewer would not move on till I told her what I was presently making with bonuses. Felt that they were looking to place via bucks only as long as it was a living person. Was "told" to complete online assessment and in the meantime would schedule next in-person interview. Interviewer seemed distracted and not really interested in whether or not I would be interested in the company or job. Was reluctant to answer questions about the company. Was not energetically engaged in process. Lasted about 20 mins. I withdrew my application the next day as there are plenty of competitors who were more engaged.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a day in your life at your present job   1 Answer
    • What do you want to do five years from now (or what is your 5 year goal)   Answer Question
    • Describe your technology skills   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Meritage Homes.

Interview

The interview process was very thorough and thought-provoking; sometimes a bit difficult. I will say, that I received a job offer (which I accepted) without a referral or knowing anyone at the company. It took about 2 weeks from my initial phone call to the job offer.

I intervied October 2015. I initially applied online via their career section. A week later I was called on Monday by a recruiter to set up a phone interview. That Wednesday I had a 30 minute phone interview with the same rexuriter. At the end of the call she said my next step would be to complete their online assessment. Once the assessment was compeleted, she said she would be in contact by the end of the week and that the top 3 canadaites would be selected for an in-person interview with the Division President. I did the assessment the following morning and it took over an hour. It was hard: a lot of math, vocabulary, grammar, and other various types of questions - not just personality questions. Two days after my phone interview-- that Friday, I was invited for an in person interview the next week on Wednesday. I met with Division President and someone in financing and the interview was nearly two hours. They both very easy going, great personalities, and the environment was warm and welcoming. The next day, Thursday afternoon, I got a call from my recruiter asking if I had time to speak with a Regional HR Manager on the phone that evening and then Friday afternoon speak with an established manager for the position I was interviewing for to get more insight on the job. I obliged to both calls. That night at 7 PM, I had another phone interview with the Regional HR Manager for about half an hour. Friday at 1 PM I spoke with a manager who works in the position I was interviewing for and she gave me great insight to the position. That same day, around 4 PM I received a call from my recruiter offering me the job. I happily accepted.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle juggling many tasks with deadlines and priorities at one time?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to discipline an employee for not complying with company guidelines and what was the outcome?   Answer Question
    • Describe your specific HR, executive assisting, and Office Managing experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate because the offer was exactly what I needed and wanted.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Meritage Homes (Atlanta, GA) in August 2015.

Interview

Applied online .Then got phone interview. Recruiter very nice, but seemed desperate to fill positions. That made me wary. Be prepared to role play. Management at interview was nice, but couldn't answer basic industry questions on processes and procedures.