Meritage Homes Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Meritage Homes Chairman and CEO Steve Hilton
Steve Hilton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Meritage Homes has lead the industry in energy efficiency and builds the best home in the industry" (in 17 reviews)

• "Work life balance is amazing and we have the best quarterly sales competitions and prizes" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "The upper management in the division have no business being in their roles" (in 13 reviews)

• "Count on little to no communication from sales managers unless you are working on a sale" (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Meritage Homes Atlanta - The best in the city!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Meritage Homes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Meritage Homes is a great company that really puts their employees first. There has never been a moment in my career here where I felt like my voice wasn't heard or that people weren't constantly pushing me forward. I am constantly getting the motivation from my peers as well as my managers to give feedback in order to make Meritage even better. I must also mention that the quality of the product we sell exceeds our competitors by a long shot and it is easy to see why!

Cons

I would love if they had potato chips on our side of the office... I have to walk over to regional to get them.

Advice to Management

Keep building the business at the regional level. We have an amazing product that is recognized nationally, but we have a long way to go with making our brand a household name.

Sep 27, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for your review of Meritage Homes, and welcome aboard. Our core values include investing in our people, and fostering environments that encourage growth. We are glad to hear that the... More

2. "Working for Meritage Homes is Great!!!"

Current Employee - Vice President of Purcchasing in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President of Purcchasing in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Meritage Homes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

On a typical work day at Meritage Homes you can find me engaging with our Purchasing Teams helping them Play To Win!!!

I truly love helping our team members to Build Value in their day to day activities. When I can help someone in the field solve a problem or coach a Purchaisng team member through a challenging negotiation, I feel like I am Developing To Empower and creating something bigger than myself.

Launching our West Region Cost Savings Initiative has been amazing. Travelling to our Divisions to launch the contest and see the passion and excitement in our teams is so rewarding. Our initial successes are alraedy producing great results and I can't wait to watch it unfold further.

I really enjoy the great culture we have here at Meriatge. I get to work with many amazing people. I love what I do, and who I work with. Coming to work every day is exciting for me.

Meritage Homes is defined by its strong Core Values. We don’t pick and choose when to use these values. They guide every company decision - from employer/leader relationships to how customers and trade partners are treated.

Everything I do is for my family. They are why I work so hard. To provide for them, set an example for them, and to allow us to enjoy our time together. Whether it's hanging out in our camper on the river, watching The Flash on Netflix or eating dinner togther, I work hard every day at a job I love...FOR THEM!!!

Cons

I don't have anything of consequence that I find to be negative.

Dec 22, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for your review of Meritage Homes. It is clear that you take our core values to heart, and we appreciate that. Your enthusiasm regarding your work is just the type of positive energy... More

3. "Good Pay but high turnover"

Former Employee - Construction Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Construction Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Meritage Homes full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

very good pay and decent benefits.

Cons

high turnover in management and the bonus is not as high as was told.

Advice to Management

need to add stability and knowledge to management.

4. "Get a Sales Manager that has actually done sales or new home sales"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO

I worked at Meritage Homes full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I really like and believe what this company stands for and it's values. They build a quality product and stand behind it. Most Sales and construction people make every effort to make the building and buying experience the best possible for the buyer.

Cons

One sales manager in Denver is a serious joke. This person has never sold out of a sales office (have they even done sales?) and has no business in a managerial role. They were previously in marketing and do not seem to understand the role of what it means to be a sales manager - coaching, mentoring, enabling, etc. Leading by threatening and retaliation and is of little support. Poor and unethical behavior is acknowledged, then overlooked, and favoritism is obvious. People whom they managed in marketing said they were constantly talked down to and talked over and they felt demeaned by this behavior - which is the same behavior shown to sales personnel. If they complained they were written up. I saw this behavior towards others during my time at Meritage. If you have a problem, this is the last person you would want to go to. Very DEMORALIZING to work here.

Advice to Management

People don't leave Companies they leave Managers. Managers can damage the morale, motivation, and productivity of their teams based on their actions, or inaction. I know several sales people that are looking elsewhere because of managerial lack of support. Find someone who understands the role of onsite sales personnel and knows how to encourage and build people up. People want to grow through training and development and when you have a manager who has no concept on how to do that you lose valuable employees - which you have been doing in the last several months. Managing is much more than saying "WootWoot" when someone gets a sale. You have a manager that is AMAZING. Hire someone like this person and you will have MUCH happier and empowered employees in your Denver market. In order to lead and produce the profitable results you are seeking, make it a priority to understand your people. But more importantly, hire transformational leaders. Doing so will build your people, and in turn they will build a successful company. You should also seriously consider doing exit surveys to find the core reason you are losing such great talent. Please don't respond with a trite "we care about this" as it is just someone in marketing answering these.
     You build an excellent product - hire managers that are able to show excellence in their leadership and behavior towards others.

Feb 13, 2019 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We are encouraged to hear that you believe in the quality of our homes and our core values. I can assure you that each review is taken seriously... More

5. "Positive, but volatile"

Former Employee - Analyst in Vacaville, CA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Vacaville, CA

I worked at Meritage Homes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Reasonable management, but your mileage may vary on leadership

Cons

Cyclical business, must stay vigilant of the market health

Advice to Management

Good to have trust, but could be more transparent with direction

Jan 31, 2019 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We believe in treating everyone fairly and earning trust. We would like to discuss your feedback further and encourage you contact us at... More

"Over worked with terrible pay"

Current Employee - Construction Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Meritage Homes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working in the field with construction “team”

Cons

Where do i start?
    1.) Upper management push and push and push and push and never give construction the praise they deserve for working harder than EVERYONE else.
    2.) Every department that construction depends on to do their job drops the ball on the daily (starts/sales/purchasing/mortgage/ everyone in the office)
    3.) VP wants construction to get the job done no matter what happens, even when its out of your hands. Sorry cant pour flatwork when it rains for 2 weeks. sorry i cant make up 60 days due to your brick vendor you make us use, cant get the job done on time. by the way they still get a bonus on the job even when they are late, but i dont......
    4.) Terrible vendors/trades minus a select few. Upper Management doesnt care get the job done. terrible workmanship shows.
    5.) half of warranty got laid off now everyone has to do more work without being compensated.
    6.) BONUS STRUCTURE IS TERRIBLE. Why does my avid bonus depend on other departments doing a good job? ridiculous and thats why we bribe homeowners with our “talking points” aka ill do what you want, only if you give me a “10” of course. customer satisfaction!
    7.) Morale is low
    8.) nothing about this place is team oriented.
    9.) Same bonus for a 4500 sqft house and a 1500sqft house....... how is that even possible?
    10.) Cut our phone allowance, they think $45 is good enough when i use my phone 95% for work. should cover my whole phone bill which isnt unlimited and cost me $100+ a month
    11.) Construction takes the blame for everything no matter what. I literally ahve to check the work of other departments because they do such a terrible job and if i dont it will just come down on me.
    12.) Construction managers have no authority over trades. We have to keep them around and they could care less because no matter what, they are going to get paid if they do a good or bad job. I backcharge but that just makes them hate you more and they will end up kicking a hole in a door/cabinet or stealing soemthing from the home they are working in.
    13.) upper management will always take the buyers side no matter what.
    14.) Zero training for the new guys, just another thing for the construction managers to do.
    15.) i could go on but im about to leave work and its 6:40pm because a trade decided not to get a job done and i had to give it that extra 1% each day. what a crock!

Advice to Management

Do better and get onto the departments that constantly drop the ball and abandon the construction team.

Jan 30, 2019 – Human Resources

We appreciate you taking the time to provide detailed feedback and we are sorry to hear about your frustrations. At Meritage we believe that we collaborate and win as a team. We welcome the... More

"Thoughts on Meritage"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Meritage Homes full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Potential to make good pay depending on the community you’re given.

Cons

Extreme Micromanagement, no respect for days off. Management has an overall lack of moral compass for what is right and wrong.

Advice to Management

Have more of a respect for work/ life balance. Stop with the intimidation and training by humiliation. Placing subordinate’s lead strategies on a projector in sales meetings to embarrass employees is not professional. Stop with the attempts to gain guilty consciences on your employees when they have given 100% yet led to believe they have not given their all. This leaves employees feeling defeated and bullied. Scale back the micromanagement, it is borderline harassment.

Dec 31, 2018 – Regional Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We’re glad to hear that you’re satisfied with your earning potential as a Sales Associate. We are committed to investing in our people and... More

8. "Life. Built. Better - Homes & Careers"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Meritage Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employees here are experts within their field. Expectations are specific but there is still an open mindedness to new ideas, definitely not a "it's just always been done that way" mentality. Other Pros are:
    + Benefits
    + 401k match
    + Competitive Salary
    + Growth opportunity (promote within a lot)
    + Clear processes
    + The executive team and VPs/Directors/Regional teams do a great job of communicating the company's vision, business operations and new or changing programs
    + Mission and Core Values are integrated into everything, they are well thought out and leadership leads by example

Cons

- Fairly formal atmosphere
    - In some aspects departments are too siloed

Dec 22, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for your review of Meritage Homes. We are pleased that you consider our compensation, benefits, and work environment as company pros. Since Meritage is dedicated to thinking beyond the... More

9. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - Construction Manager in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Construction Manager in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Meritage Homes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture, work environment, management style

Cons

No cons at this time

Advice to Management

No advice at this time

Dec 2, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for your review of Meritage Homes, and welcome to the Tucson team! We appreciate your feedback, as Meritage is constantly striving to foster an environment that embraces continual growth... More

10. "Construction manager"

Current Employee - Construction Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Meritage Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hard work is definitely recognized.

Cons

Work load is at full capacity plus, consistently. The year end push is very taxing.