Meritage Homes Reviews | Glassdoor

"Not good."

Former Employee - Mid-Level Staff in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Mid-Level Staff in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Meritage Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful friends made with other staff members. Enjoyed working together to get the job done.

Cons

This company's executives are arrogant and do not care about staff. I worked for a mid-level executive who was condescending and abusive. I have held highly-respected positions for long periods of time and did not appreciate the way I was talked down to, monitored and ridiculed on a daily basis. Absolutely zero respect for employees. This is how this person treated all staff or anyone below his title. The executives seem to stick together and if you are not "one of them" (which few are, all men and only one or two women) you are completely disrespected and disregarded. The day I left a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders and I am happy to never have to look back.

Advice to Management

Watch the people that you have working for you. Take advice and feedback from staff - who are the people who truly care about their jobs and your company. Trust me when I tell you that your executives do not care about your company - they care about their paychecks.

"ugh...where do i start"

Former Employee - Purchasing Coordinator in Boynton Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Purchasing Coordinator in Boynton Beach, FL

I worked at Meritage Homes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

pto, pay ok, nice lunches lol

Cons

well that didnt last long...came to this company with 30 yrs in construction. ..1st week a girl who i didnt work for and had 5 months construction experience decided she was my boss and began delegating all her menial tasks to me...was forced to go to my boss ..who went to her boss next thing i know her boss is out to get me....they begin concocting stories about me with tails of incompetence etc etc oh man alive...the older i get the more apparent it is that large corporations consist of inexperienced people with little common sense that are adept at manipulation. .....

Advice to Management

n/a

3. "Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vacaville, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vacaville, CA

I worked at Meritage Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay and great hours

Cons

Horrible management, lack of training

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to your team's complaints and concerns.

"There are better builders to work for."

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Vacaville, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Vacaville, CA

I worked at Meritage Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You are an employee so you get medical, dental, 401k etc.

Cons

They work you to death for just average compensation. Required attendance at meetings over an hour away early in the morning. Very corporate with constant micromanagement and mystery shops. Constantly move agents around to different communities.

"Churn and Burn"

I worked at Meritage Homes full-time

Pros

The employees are super hard workers and give it their all.

Cons

This company is top heavy and only cares about the almighty dollar. There is little to no training and they don't care about work/life balance at all. There is NO work/life balance. They don't care about their employees, only their shareholders. Employees are placed in impossible situations with unmanageable workloads, no resources and no support. If people voice concerns they are told "It's Corporate's decision to keep things the way they are". You are just a warm body in a chair and no one cares. The reputation of this company is so bad that they are having a very hard time filling positions. One of their divisions has been without a Division President for 6 months. People are flying out the door at this company.

Advice to Management

If everyone is signing the same tune, you might want to believe your employees and not turn a blind eye to the reality of what you have created. There is a reason why your turnover is so high!

"Good people, poor senior leadership"

Current Employee - Corporate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Corporate in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Meritage Homes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In the trenches with really good, hard working, caring, ethical people. The "workers", unfortunately with zero influence or regard from senior leadership help each other, are genuine and talented.

Cons

The executives display a arrogance that is embarrassing. Little to no regard for the working class or the customer. Unless it is going to get good press. Inconsistent decision making that makes the "workers" look foolish and impossible to serve the internal and external customers. Little to no information is shared about the vision, in fact I don't think there is a vision. We spend more money on silly promotional items and breakfasts and lunches catered to the higher ups that the workers occasionally get to scrounge on the scraps. It is definitely a upper class and lower class culture. The only good is that the "lower class" don't complain and don't commiserate we stay focused on serving the customer and our peers.

Advice to Management

Arrogance is not a good attribute. Take time to ask questions from the pool of knowledge that is right under your nose. Treat people with kindness. A simple "hello, how are you" once a year or so would make a difference.

"Don't believe the hype."

Former Employee - Construction Manager I in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Construction Manager I in Greenville, SC

Pros

DP is great.....that's it. Pay is ok.

Cons

No management help, preach 100% ready but will move a house up 2-3 weeks every time. Contractors well.....complain they never get paid and no one shows up without screaming. Bonuses never paid on time. 1 day we have 3 area managers next we have 2 ... didn't matter none of them never answered or helped. People that should be promoted get ignored but they still try to help everyone out to keep the ship a float. 3-4 or guys that helped me everyday are the only reason I stayed as long as I did. I am thankful to return to a better structured workplace. Meritage claims advancement opportunities when they hired me but I didn't see one path within the company that would lead to a new job. DONT LET THEM KNOW YOUR LEAVING TO GO TO ANOTHER BUILDER THEY WILL FIRE YOU ON THE SPOT.

Advice to Management

Stop ignoring the issues. You screwed up it's ok to admit it. Just fix the problem. Too many chiefs(that don't help) and not enough Indians. Builders are the life line of this company but yet get treated as well construction trash. You give us chicken poop and want chicken soup. Bad contractors, bad inexperienced agents that get treated like royalty well builders get blamed for everything that is wrong.

"Smoke and Mirrors"

I worked at Meritage Homes full-time

Pros

Used to be a good place to work.

Cons

The company is top heavy.

"Your family will suffer. If you don't have a family you will be fine."

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Meritage Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Production minded with a great focus on energy savings. The homes are solidly built and will outperform a standard home.

Cons

Our will never be the same and your family will suffer. It's too high of a price to pay for VERY VERY little return on time investment. You will be OVERWORKED, under appreciated and be underpaid! Life built better is for the buyers, they don't practice what they preach.

Advice to Management

Lay off and respect your Employees.

"Waste of time. Take another offer!"

Current Employee - Construction Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Construction Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Meritage Homes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Spray foam is a nice feature for the homes.

Cons

Not sure where to start. Purchasing department is so far behind and will cost you your bonus. It doesn't matter if the plans are wrong or if purchase orders are wrong, you are the one who loses the bonus. Bonus program is a joke. You won't find out about your bonus until after they don't pay you for it. Managers will hide and place the blame game when you are looking for a reason why you didn't receive what you should have. When they finally admit they are wrong, they will say they will make it up to you latet, which never happens.
    Managers play favorites a lot so be prepared to seem impressed when they are bragging to you about something. Most managers under vp have that position for being there so long but have no idea what they should be doing. Ideas and trying to fix mistakes are ignored from the field and only implemented after an office person starts to repeat your idea. They spend more time celebrating birthdays in the office and acting like we are all a big team than they do trying to fix any mistakes.

Advice to Management

Please evaluate your staff. You have really good people that are buried under your management staff that gets ignored because certain managers don't like them. Please reconsider who you have as managers and ask why they can't seem to keep employees happy in the field.