Meritage Homes Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Meritage Homes Chairman and CEO Steve Hilton
Steve Hilton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The engineering in the home is amazingly energy efficient (in 11 reviews)

• Friendly environment, fast paced, good pay and benefits (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management is clueless: they don't do any work and are condescending to employees they supervise - who are doing all the work (in 8 reviews)

• High turnover, no tenure in positions (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"I love my job"

Current Employee - Sales in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Meritage Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have only been there for a little while but love the culture here. I love the product and I have been showered with kindness and thoughtfulness since starting. I can't believe this job exists. The pay is amazing and I am so lucky to have this job. I've worked for many non ethical and noncorporate companies and have had awful experiences. The workplace is beautiful.

Cons

Corporate is a big office and when u pass by others in the hall no one says hi or looks up. It's weird. I just smile more and say hi more. Petty but this is the only thing I can think of.

Advice to Management

Thank you for hiring me. I love it here. :)

2. "Nashville Division"

Current Employee - AP Specialist in Brentwood, TN
    Current Employee - AP Specialist in Brentwood, TN

I have been working at Meritage Homes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Pay, Good Benefits, Most employees are polite and friendly, not stressful. Family friendly

Cons

Some other employees are rude. People do not take initiative to complete tasks that need to be done.

Advice to Management

Step up to the plate and get tasks done on time.

Aug 25, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We appreciate your positive feedback, however, we also take your concerns very seriously. We are committed to creating a comfortable... More

"Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Manager in Greenville, SC

I worked at Meritage Homes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with and for, and offer a lot of opportunities to advance in the company. Also are willing to help you in any way that they can in order to get a job done and keep clients happy.

Cons

Clients come in all different types and they could be great or horrible, just the nature of residential. During the year it only has two speeds very busy or very slow.

Advice to Management

Build better relationships with employees and clients a like to build the bridge.

Aug 29, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for providing feedback on your experience at Meritage Homes. Creating a culture of collaboration is what we strive for. We are glad that your experience reflected this. We always look for... More

"Micro managed and beyond"

I worked at Meritage Homes full-time

Pros

You can make good money if you are in the right community

Cons

Micro Managed daily, Managed by fear tactics, time off is only given if your performance warrants you to get it, otherwise they will make it difficult. You will be called on days off, days out sick and on vacation they could care less, all they worry about is the money and no respect for their employee.

Advice to Management

As they say it comes from above so in this situation it starts with the CEO of the company and works its way down.

Sep 8, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We appreciate your feedback and take your concerns seriously. We are committed to creating a positive environment for all employees and will... More

"Most of Positive Reviews are Fake! - created by Atlanta management to counter all the Negative Reviews!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Meritage Homes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Office Building is nice...Lots of snacks (too many!)

Cons

Upper Management is clueless: they don't do any work and are condescending to employees they supervise - who are doing all the work. They spend loads of time micromanaging and gossiping. Managers have no leadership skills. Human Resources department is very unsupportive. Looks like HR Director posted responses here in a canned form letter? - like they care!!! I was told that current employees were told to post fake positive reviews here by management! So beware of most positive posts after April 28, 2017, that are anonymous!

Advice to Management

Get rid of current Human Resources Department Director, Directors and Managers - time to clean house and start over. Blown up titles! they don't do anything! Very Negative Environment!

Sep 11, 2017 – Human Resources

On behalf of Meritage Homes management, we would like to thank you for sharing your experience. We absolutely take the time to access each individual review and strive to make everyone feel welcome... More

"Need to care about employees"

Former Employee - CM III in Corona, CA
    Former Employee - CM III in Corona, CA

I worked at Meritage Homes full-time

Pros

The pay wasn't bad considering.

Cons

Management seemed to only care about protecting themselves and their own job.
    No even flow in building.
    No pride in the quality of the homes...attitude was, just get it done and off our books.
    Warranty/customer service was horrible. They looked for any reason/excuse to deny a homeowners warranty claim.

Advice to Management

Give the guys in the field the support that is truly needed.
    Actions are louder than words, what you sell future employees on how great the culture is of a company you need to actually follow through with.

Aug 29, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We appreciate your feedback and take your concerns very seriously. We are committed to creating a comfortable, transparent and collaborative... More

7. "Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Meritage Homes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a company that truly cares for their people. They've created a family environment despite it being a national home building company. We work hard but we also play hard. The managers are all very invested in training and making sure that the tools that are needed are readily available. Upward advancement is an opportunity in almost every department as are lateral moves into different departments. Managers check in to know what the career goals are for employees and work hard to help get their people to achieve those goals.

Cons

There are no Cons I can think of at this time.

"Construction Manager"

Former Employee - Construction Manager in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Construction Manager in Tampa, FL

I worked at Meritage Homes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was a paycheck until I found a job where I could contribute and satisfy my homeowners
    I was so happy to get out of there as fast as I could as everyone had told me it was a bad place to work

Cons

Yearly 80+ percent turnover of staff
    5 division presidents in 5 years
    7 vp of sales in 5 years
    All the office people are quitting
    The sales people are all being run off
    No controller or anyone in land for over a year

Advice to Management

The Tampa 5 year experiment is a failure
    Listen to people doing the job instead of thinking you know what's happening
    High turnover lets new people keep blaming yearly failures on others.

Aug 7, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We are disappointed that you did not have a positive experience, and we take your concerns very seriously. We are committed to creating a... More

9. "Great opportunity to work for a respected home builder"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Meritage Homes full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities to grow.
    Talent is recognized and groomed for growth.
    Great product that you can stand behind.
    On boarding process is much better now, but does vary by department.
    The people are awesome, work is generally a pleasant environment.
    Constant change means you're never bored and will learn new things.
    National presence so you can move around as opportunities are available.
    Division office feel like a family.

Cons

Incredibly aggressive plans and timelines mean high stress, especially at year end.
    New programs could use more vetting and planning.
    Corporate office culture has room for improvement.
    Maternity benefits could be improved.

"I Love my Job!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Meritage Homes full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been honored to be working at this great organization for over 5 years now. I am very well respected and my opinions always matter, we have gone through some mgt changes with in the last 12-18 Months, there were some growing pains which is to be expected of all large companies during a mgt change. Over all very privileged to be a part of this company. Great opportunities to grow, sales mgt is amazing. Very much willing to help and support in any way that they can. Meritage Homes Houston has a unlimited opportunity for career and personal growth.

Cons

There are no Cons I can think of at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep the lines of communication open between the Field and the Main Office. Communication is crucial to success and growth.