Mid-Continent Public Library Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Mid-Continent Public Library

3.4

Librarian Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Independence, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Mid-Continent Public Library (Independence, MO) in June 2013.

Interview

I've interviewed here several times. Easy to get an interview, tough to get a job. Usually 2-3 people interview you. Mix of easy/difficult questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you received great customer service.   Answer Question

Library Page Interview

Anonymous Employee in Independence, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Mid-Continent Public Library (Independence, MO) in September 2017.

Interview

The interview was very professional and the employees were friendly. Very laid back. I was asked to shelve a random group of books in as fast, but efficient amount of time.

Page Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Mid-Continent Public Library.

Interview

You come in and talk with the Branch Manager. They will ask you a bunch of questions that are related to library work, and will get a feel for whether you would make a good fit or not.

Interview Questions

• What are you currently reading?
      What are some of the books on the Bestsellers list right now?
      Do you know the Dewey Decimal system?   Answer Question

Access Specialist II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Independence, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Mid-Continent Public Library (Independence, MO).

Interview

I interviewed for this position at different branches 4 different times (rejected 3 times, then finally accepted). The interviews take place at the Library's headquarters in Independence with 2-3 people. It usually entails a computer test, a written test about authors/books/genres, and about four pages of moderate to difficult verbal questions. Overall, it's a fairly difficult interview for a part-time job that pays $12.43/hr.

Negotiation

No negotiations possible.

Access Specialist I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Mid-Continent Public Library.

Interview

Short phone interview is first, be prepared to answer standard interview questions (ex. Why did you apply for this job?). Then the formal interview is with the branch manager and assistant manager at the branch in a small office. The interviewers were friendly and asked questions from a (quite lengthy) packet. Most questions were broad and therefore easy to apply to your past jobs. However some were difficult to answer without library experience. At the end I was given a very simple computer test: find a book on the MCPL website. I was really surprised I wasn't asked anything about books in general, it was all customer service related. Overall, I agree with the other comments that it's a lengthy interview for a part-time hourly job that doesn't require a degree. I too got the feeling it's difficult for an outsider (even with a degree) to get these positions.

Interview Questions

• Describe a difficult situation you have faced professionally and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Access Specialist I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Independence, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Mid-Continent Public Library (Independence, MO) in July 2016.

Interview

The interview was with the branch manager and assistant branch manager. The questions were all situational and sort of irrelevant. No questions were asked about my experience or abilities outside of the dreaded "strengths and weaknesses" prompt. There was a bizarre test at the tail end of the interview wherein they asked me to separate a stack of graphic novels into categories. Apparently this is some sort of creative test and they expect you to do something whimsical, such as divide the books by color or spell out your name using book titles. I still don't understand how ones ability to perform a silly task in a creative way pertains at all to working a desk at the library, but I digress.

Interview Questions

• Describe the most creative way you have solved a customer's problem   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mid-Continent Public Library.

Interview

it was a lot of scenario-based questions and asking me to research things including how many books a certain author wrote and doing internet based searches on a particular topic.

Assistant Director of Youth Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Independence, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Mid-Continent Public Library (Independence, MO) in May 2018.

Interview

Interviewed by Youth Services director and another Human Resources representative. About 20 or so set questions that they alternated asking. Topics covered perception of job, comfort level with disciplining employees, responses to situations that might be faced, what would it mean to me to get this job, as well as other standard interview questions.

Interview Questions

• Why does the Director of Youth Services need an assistant?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Mid-Continent Public Library in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was called in for an interview, I want to say, a week and a half to two weeks after submitting my application. The interview was about 30 minutes long and consisted of being asked several questions my interviewers read from a packet. After answering these questions, I was brought to a computer and asked to find a book through their catalog, find a tax form through the IRS website, and demonstrate saving a file to a flash drive. Initially I was not offered a position (they instead hired someone trying to transfer from another branch). I did, however, receive a call back when they found out it would not work with the first hire. It is difficult for an outsider to get an Access Specialist position here because there is a lot of training involved and it's quickest for all parties involved to hire from within the system. Even as a recent college graduate (double-major in English and Philosophy) with experience in web content & design, blog writing, creative writing, research, teaching, and leading workshops, I still initially lost to an inside hire. But it is possible-- I recommend highlighting your experience with kids (would you be good at leading workshops with several children?) or your experience with tech products (how familiar are you with Nooks, Kindles, etc.?). This is largely a customer service position and at some point post-hire they will want you to specialize in something like tech or doing "storytime" with groups of kids.

Interview Questions

• What sort(s) of difficulties have you encountered with past coworkers?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you took on a leadership role.   Answer Question
    • Identify a flash drive and demonstrate saving a PDF to it.   Answer Question