Mid-Continent Public Library Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Library Page"

Current Employee - Library Page in Independence, MO
    Current Employee - Library Page in Independence, MO

I have been working at Mid-Continent Public Library part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Absolutely amazing group of people to work with, and for!
    Very flexible with scheduling.
    Very low stress job, for the most part.
    As a page, you have some interactions with the public but it's not constant.

Cons

Financial compensation isn't the greatest, but then again this is a very simple job.

2. "Meh"

Current Employee - Access Specialist II in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Access Specialist II in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Mid-Continent Public Library full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most of the customers are delightful and respectful. Most of the co-workers are fabulous and caring. There is a trend toward a more empowered culture. The work is diverse, but not super difficult. There is opportunity for growth, but the highest paid positions definitely require a graduate degree. There are opportunities every day to improve lives and help people accomplish tasks.

Cons

Some of the customers are not pleasant. Branch Management is very slow to address personnel issues which leads to morale problems. and lessened confidence in the integrity of the organization. Communication is sometimes poor and misleading. Executive Management claim to have an "open door" policy, but when they stop by the Branch, they act like they don't know you or can't be bothered. There seems to be a disconnect between Executive Administration and employees on the front lines. There is a clique-ish culture which is very noticeable during in-service meetings and trainings. There is rampant sexism. It is assumed that women know nothing about I/T and mechanical things. Things that MCPL does to make employees feel valued often fall flat because while they give with one hand, they take away with the other. The benefits available for Benefits Eligible staff are fantastic--the wages for the worker bees are lower than market.

Advice to Management

Be honest. Listen to your employees. Don't put us in bad situations. Quit making us take surveys and then do nothing about our feedback. Pay us fairly. Don't make promises and then not follow-through. Come up with an evaluation system that works and makes sense, and quit moving the bar so we know what standard to rise to.

3. "access specialist"

Pros

Great people to work with, lots of training, very flexible hours, decent pay.

Cons

There are very few full-time jobs if that's what you want.

4. "Business Specialist"

I have been working at Mid-Continent Public Library full-time

Pros

Amazing coworkers and bosses. Great work environment

Cons

12.68/hour, could be paid a little more

5. "Access Specialist I"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Mid-Continent Public Library part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most co-workers nice, adequate training

Cons

Corporate says it is an empowered culture - that employees are empowered to do what is best to provide good customer service but in reality there is very little latitude because there are processes and procedures for EVERYTHING and I have a coworker who loves to chide me if I go outside "the process" so it lowers my drive and therefore production.

Advice to Management

Get a hold on the know-it-alls in the branches so the younger, newer employees can work without someone constantly looking down their nose at us

"Wonderful place for part-timers"

Former Employee - Library Assistant I in Independence, MO
    Former Employee - Library Assistant I in Independence, MO

I worked at Mid-Continent Public Library part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

MCPL was a great place to work, I loved my co-workers, the patrons, and the day to day tasks.

Cons

Unfortunately, because of their flat corporate structure, which in many ways is a good thing, it eliminates most of the opportunities for advancement.

7. "Very Unstable Place To Work For"

I worked at Mid-Continent Public Library (Less than a year)

Pros

Quiet place to work, holidays off, pretty good hours for the most part

Cons

We were in between branch manager most of the while I was working there. When I worked there, the branch manager that was there was talked about badly and it made me feel like they practically ran her out because she was black and the library staff there is for the most part white. When they finally found a new branch manager, she didn't like me from the get-go. She did everything possible to get rid of me, by cutting my hours so much that it was barely enough for gas money, considering it was 20 minutes from where I live. I finally resigned because I had enough of being the outcast there, and work with a library system that I worked with years ago that I absolutely loved and still love now.

Advice to Management

Realize that black people are also intelligent and have a chance to grow in this line of work also or you will miss out on great employees like myself.

8. "This was a great part-time job during school"

I worked at Mid-Continent Public Library part-time

Pros

I got to read a lot of books!
    Very flexible boss.
    I got paid to help kids get excited about reading books, and do craft times and movie nights for kids in the community--what's not to like about that?

Cons

Upper management does not care about Libraries or people. Changes to make a library run like a business...
    LOTS of changes, not well communicated.
    The system systematically got rid of thousands of books in a few months....no sense of history or archival power of having old books. All to make room for 100 copies of the newsest best seller--and then to get ride of 90 of those copies in a year...

9. "Great people and environment, entry level positions excellent for students."

Current Employee - Page
    Current Employee - Page

Pros

Great coworkers, flexible hours, easy work

Cons

Low pay, repetitive work, limited advancement

Advice to Management

Overall, MCPL is a great place to work. Be sure to offer employees sufficient opportunities for advancement and incentive to stay; work tends to become repetitive and some become burnt out after long periods of time.

10. "Good people, iffy corporate culture"

Former Employee - Library Page
    Former Employee - Library Page

I worked at Mid-Continent Public Library part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked at Mid-Continent as a page for a number of years. I loved my time there and left feeling very close to a lot of my coworkers. The hours were flexible and reasonable, the work was satisfying, and the library was very engaged in the community.

Cons

Mid-Continent pays their employees very poorly, especially considering the size of the system. I joined on right as the economy was tanking and budgets were getting slashed, so I can recognize how those factors contribute to wages. But there were full time employees who hadn't had a raise in years and had no expectation of that changing. Libraries don't pay well in general, but Mid-Continent is on the lower end of the scale. Additionally, the priorities of the upper executives have been changing in the last few years, from advocating "world class customer service" to pushing for ever-increasing self-check out numbers and shorter transaction times, and cutting staff to accommodate those goals. This has led to an enormous amount of pressure on staff members to do more work with less hands, and has caused tension among staff members and between staff and management.

Advice to Management

Require full-time staff to have a Bachelor's degree and then pay them accordingly. Raise the standards for employment and then raise pay to match. The libraries will be staffed by more competent employees and higher wages will attract better candidates.