Cover image for NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory

Engaged Employer

Add an Interview

NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory Interview Questions

Updated Nov 27, 2022

To filter interviews, or .
Found 274 of over 274 interviews

Employee Referral9%
2.6
HardAverageEasy

NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory

Interview

Recruiter phone screen first to talk about experience and was told everything sounded great and I would move forward to interview stage. Many follow up emails later (spanning over 4 weeks) and not a single response back from Recruiter.

Interview Questions
  • Phone Screen with Recruiter was basic HR and recruiting questions about my experience and different roles I have recruited for.
    Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory (Los Angeles, CA)

Interview

Outstanding recruiter who stayed proactive throughout the process. Five interviews over four weeks: Recruiter, HM, Person who last held the role, Subject area program manager + HR rep, comms leadership. Very standard interview questions on behavior, past accomplishments, and vision for the role.

Interview Questions
  • Tell us about a time when you strongly disagreed with a supervisor.

NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 week. I interviewed at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Oct 2022

Interview

The interview took place over Webex as a 30-minute video call which was all technical questions. There were no subsequent rounds of interviews, and I heard back within the same day.

Interview Questions
  • What is one thing you would change about the C programming language?

NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Oct 2022

Interview

The process was fairly quick. I applied in later October 2022 and received an offer in mid November. I got an email from the team lead for an interview, then had a second interview with additional members of the team. Both interviews were 1 hour and the bulk of the discussion was about my previous experience. There was 1 simple fizzbuzz question. They did seem to care more about my general interest in what the position will entail, which made for a great conversation. I came away from the experience with a great impression of JPL.

Interview Questions
  • - Fizzbuzz logic question - What on the application for this role interested you? - Know your projects and the tech you used

NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 months. I interviewed at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory

Interview

Six very long weeks of interviews and tests that took a ridiculous amount of time from my daily work schedule. First there were phone interviews, then video interviews, then writing tests...and it all ended with an in-person interview at the Pasadena campus. No attempt had been made to accommodate my desire for a preferred time and date — I was asked, totally ignored then had a time slot sent to me...and that was that. The entire experience left a really bad taste in my mouth, especially given the high regard I once held for NASA.

Interview Questions
  • There was rarely a time when I felt like I was actually in active conversation; they asked very generic, quite bland questions and seemed...distressed when I asked them specific questions about themselves based on thorough research I had done reading past pieces of work and even social media profiles.

Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory (Pasadena, CA) in Aug 2022

Interview

One round of interview that was 60 minutes long. Random technical questions but no coding was involved. It was the team I'd be working with and they were asking a million questions like "Do you know what HTTP request is"

NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Aug 2022

Interview

Did a 30-minute initial phone interview with HR rep. Interviewer was friendly and answered any questions I had. Unfortunately, I was unable to move forward in the process because relocation to Pasadena was required, which I could not do.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about your science writing experience and background.

NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory

Interview

Two phone interviews - mainly focused on understanding of JPL internal process' and procedures. Focus is on managing design changes ECR requests, and ensuring each project abides by standards set, and creating a precedent.

Interview Questions
  • "Tell us about your time at JPL" - again, questions focused on experience with change management and experience at JPL

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Pasadena, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory (East Pasadena, CA) in Jul 2022

Interview

First had a phone interview with HR as a screener, then with 3 managers asking questions about resume and hypothetical situations. Video was used. All were on time and pleasant, lasted about an hour.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory

Application

I interviewed at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory

Interview

I had a series of interviews and chats that were all very human centered, and they did not feel like a bulk process. I was able to learn a lot about my potential duties and have any questions answered.

Interview Questions
3 people found this interview helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 274 Interviews

NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory Interviews FAQs

Glassdoor users rated their interview experience at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory as 77.0% positive with a difficulty rating score of 2.60 out of 5 (where 5 is the highest level of difficulty). Candidates interviewing for Software Engineer(Internship) and Intern rated their interviews as the hardest, whereas interviews for Systems Engineer and Software Engineer roles were rated as the easiest.

The hiring process at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory takes an average of 36 days when considering 286 user submitted interviews across all job titles. Candidates applying for Software Engineer had the quickest hiring process (on average 7 days), whereas Systems Engineer roles had the slowest hiring process (on average 130 days).

Common stages of the interview process at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory according to 286 Glassdoor interviews include:

Phone Interview: 23.60%

Work at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory? Share Your Experiences

NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory logo

NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory Careers

Cover image for NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory

NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a unique collaboration between NASA and Caltech. We are funded by the space agency to serve the space...More

• What We're Made Of
  • Working Here
  • Quests

Company Updates

294 days ago

LinkedIn Live! Join us Thursday, February 17 at 7 p.m. PST/10 p.m. EST for this week's lecture as we celebrate the one-year "landiversary" of Perseverance. 🎉 Mission leaders will explain what we've learned so far from the mission and what's in store for the one-ton rover as it continues to traverse Mars' Jezero Crater. Drop your questions in the comments for a chance to have them answered live on the show.
Shared image - NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory on LinkedIn: Join us Thursday, February 17 at 7 p.m. PST/10 p.m. EST for this week's
www.linkedin.com

310 days ago

Company News
We’re excited to announce that Dr. Laurie Leshin has been selected by Caltech to be the next JPL director! Dr. Leshin is an internationally recognized scientist and administrator, having served as deputy associate administrator of the Exploration Systems Mission Directorate at NASA Headquarters, director of science and exploration at NASA Goddard and, most recently, president of Worcester Polytechnic Institute. An accomplished space scientist, Dr. Leshin also is a member of the Mars Science Laboratory science team that analyzes data collected by NASA's Curiosity Mars Rover to find evidence of water on the surface of Mars. In a statement, she said: “In many ways, this feels like a homecoming.” Dr. Leshin will become the first female director in JPL’s history and also will serve as vice president of Caltech, which has managed JPL on behalf of NASA since 1958. She will formally assume her position in May 2022. (Photo courtesy of Worcester Polytechnic Institute)
Shared image - Caltech Names Laurie Leshin Director of JPL
Caltech Names Laurie Leshin Director of JPL
www.jpl.nasa.gov

NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory Photos

+ Add Photo
NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory photo of: Photo of the JPL Employees
NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory photo of: The Mars 2020 Helicopter Team reviews some of the first images of the Ingenuity helicopter from its historic first flight on Mars.
NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory photo of: The Mars Helicopter team celebrates the mission success by proving powered flight on Mars in possible.
NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory photo of: The Mars 2020 Helicopter team waiting for data.
NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory photo of: Employees virtually gathered to watch and celebrate the successful landing of NASA's Perseverance Mars Rover
NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory photo of: Lucky peanuts ready! JPLers celebrate the landing of Mars 2020, NASA Perseverance Mars Rover from home.
NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory photo of: Mission socks are serious at JPL