National Audit Office Interview Questions | Glassdoor

National Audit Office Interview Questions

Updated Mar 23, 2017

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at National Audit Office (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Standard do mpetency questions, followed by 45 minute telephone interview - asked two questions about 4 competencies, then assessment centre. Assessment centre consisted of written case study exercise, group budgeting activity, interview with auditing director and client presentation/questions. Very efficient HR department and majority of people spoke to were very friendly.

Interview Questions

• What are the challenges facing prisons? (I work in a prison currently)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at National Audit Office (London, England (UK)).

Interview

The first stage of the process was an application form asking for motivations. This was followed by psychometric testing (mostly numerical reasoning). This was followed by a 45-minute telephone interview. The next stage of the process is an assessment centre, comprised of four tasks including presentation, group activity, one to one interview, and written assessment.

Assistant Auditor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at National Audit Office in February 2017.

Interview

First a numerical reasoning test after an initial application form. If successful at this stage you then answer 4 competency questions.
    This then led onto a telephone interview and finally an assessment centre.
    The assessment centre comprised of a: case study, group exercise, presentation prepared on the day and a final interview

Interview Questions

• Should certain government departments have their funding ring fenced?   Answer Question

Trainee Chartered Accountant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at National Audit Office in December 2016.

Interview

Telephone interview with friendly conversation to get you relaxed and comfortable (if you are able to) followed by a series of competency based questions and finishing with your motivation for applying to this role. They are mostly silent during your answers and tend only to speak if you prompt them.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time that you noticed a mistake and how did you work to amend it?   Answer Question

Graduate Audit Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at National Audit Office (London, England (UK)) in June 2016.

Interview

First you have to fill in the application form, this consists of the usual stuff like work experience and education in addition to a few competency based questions (which are based on their key competencies found on the website). If you are successful at this stage you will be invited to a phone interview where the main focus was the key competencies. For my interview the person on the other end of the phone was lovely and really wanted to make it as relaxed as possible. The interview lasted approximately 40 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to do a project and communicate the ideas to someone else?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at National Audit Office (London, England (UK)) in February 2016.

Interview

The first stage was a telephone interview which asked me competency based questions directly linked to the company's core competencies. They also asked the obvious, why the NAO and why audit questions.

I then went to an assessment centre, which was comprised of a partner interview, a one on one presentation, a team exercise, a written test and a numerical test.

Interview Questions

• The Most unexpected question i was asked was about what role private companies should play in the NHS.   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Application

Interview

A somewhat challenging reasoning and mathematics test, done online before interviews.

Brief phone interview followed. Standard questions, such as "what do you know about the NAO?"

The physical interview had two parts.

Short case study: had to find important value-for-money facts in evidence from a fictional government department's trash-collection scheme. Then presented findings to 2 interviewers.

Second bit had competency questions, a database question, a bit more about the NAO's outputs, and personal motivation. Had a question designed to see if I could explain complex topics (my Master's project). Asked if comfortable with qualitative analysis.

Overall the interview was fair. I'd call it easy, but it was well-designed to draw relevant information from me. Could be tough if you don't know what they do.

Economist Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at National Audit Office (London, England (UK)) in April 2015.

Interview

Two people interviewing.
    Started off with a few competency questions.
    Included a fairly easy numerical test.
    Test had a time limit of 15 minutes.
    The interview lasted for about 50 minutes.
    Included ver specific micro-economics and macro-economics questions.
    Offer was given in less than 5 working days.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at National Audit Office (London, England (UK)) in April 2014.

Interview

Online application form followed by an online numerical test. Then a 45-minute competency-based preliminary interview followed by a full assessment day with: case study, group exercise, presentation (prepared on the day) and a director interview.

Interview Questions

• "Tell us about a situation where you noticed a mistake and how your rectified it". Caught me off guard and my answer was not good.   Answer Question

Assistant Auditor (Graduate) Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at National Audit Office (London, England (UK)) in October 2010.

Interview

1) Online application form
    2) 1st round interview with Audit Manager is competency based and mathematics tests.
    3) Assessment centre consisting of group exercise, report drafting, pre-prepared presentation and interview with Director.

Interview Questions

• No unexpected questions however the Director interview is open and focuses on your background and CV and not on competencies.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not attempt to negotiate.