National Cancer Institute Interview Questions | Glassdoor

National Cancer Institute Interview Questions

2.7

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at National Cancer Institute (Bethesda, MD) in December 2014.

Interview

After being contacted about the position and conducting a phone interview I was offered an on-site interview. I interviewed at 3 different labs within the NIH and all paid for my travel expenses to conduct on-site interviews.

Interview Questions

• You are required to give an hour long powerpoint presentation about your thesis work. After that you are asked a good number of questions of your past work and where it could lead you in the future. PIs also go over their work and try to determine where you might fit in.   1 Answer

Grants Management Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at National Cancer Institute (Rockville, MD) in April 2014.

Interview

Standard government form questions, what motivates you, ideal work environment etc. The one thing you have to be careful of and NCI office of grants administration is notorious for is, if they like you, they will tell you basically anything to get you in the door. Example is you say that "A" is very important to me, they will tell you "we have lot of (A) or we do (A) all the time". I told them since I will be commuting from a large distance that telework is important to me, and they said "all our staff start with 3 days a week" . This sealed the deal for me and then when I started they told me we get a 6 month probationary period with no telework then one day per month added to our schedule every 6 months. I brought up what was said in the interview and they were like we never said that. After talking to our staff around the office, I found that if someone made an issue a sticking point during the interview, management would just say "we do that" knowing that when you take the job you will be stuck regardless of the importance of the issue. If I could do it again, I would have asked the official tasked with my on boarding to confirm in writing all the benefits discussed during the interview. I was just so excited about the job that I didn't think I could have been lied too.

Interview Questions

• How do you work under pressure, or with high volume.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at National Cancer Institute (Washington, DC).

Interview

Sent references, CV and statement of interest. Had a quick phone interview and then an in person presentation. Offered job on the spot.

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at National Cancer Institute in February 2013.

Interview

Found opening via LinkedIn (NIH discussion group) and submitted CV to PI directly. The PI contacted me within 2 days, followed by a Skype interview. That went well, so I was invited to give a talk about my dissertation in the Bethesda campus. I also interviewed with the department chairperson and had a chance to interact with the other fellows in the lab. It was a good fit, so the PI gave a job offer within the week, pending my recommendation letters (from thesis advisers, previous lab manager, etc.).

Interview Questions

• It was detailed questions regarding my dissertation project.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations (this is a postdoctoral fellowship).

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at National Cancer Institute (Bethesda, MD) in July 2012.

Interview

Meet with the PI and talk about my research background, researches conducted in the lab, what kind of projects he has, and culture of the lab. Then meet with the lab members. Give a presentation about my research.

Postdoctoral Visiting Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Frederick, MD

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at National Cancer Institute (Frederick, MD) in May 2012.

Interview

I contacted first a Senior Researcher and she invited me to apply for a position. Everithing was easy and the paperwork process is running.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

If you have been invited by some Senior Researcher, everything gets easy. They will open a position for you (if it already doesn't exist), and will ask you to apply. After that, the paperwork process starts.

CRTA Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at National Cancer Institute (Bethesda, MD) in February 2012.

Interview

My interview process was very informal. My thesis advisor introduced me to my future PI at the NCI who helped streamline my application in order to join her lab. The interview process itself was very easy, yet the paperwork that followed was fairly arduous. My PI was incredibly communicative throughout the entire process.

Principal Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at National Cancer Institute (Bethesda, MD) in January 2012.

Interview

Two interviews. The first interview is for NCI to see whether they like you. Once they like you, they invited you for a second interview, during which you will give a detailed vision how you are going to run your future lab and your research avenue. Each interview is important.

CRTA Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at National Cancer Institute (Bethesda, MD) in March 2011.

Interview

Initial phone interview and then an in person interview with the PI. Met more of the people after I was accepted, and I had accepted the offer. People were relaxed and very nice.

Student Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Frederick, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at National Cancer Institute (Frederick, MD) in February 2011.

Interview

Applied as high school junior. mentors call you in for interviews. you rate your interviews and preference them, and each mentor does the same with the students he/she interviewed.

Interview Questions

• Interview is a lot more informational. Try to relate to, show interest or understanding of the work the lab is doing.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations. Too early in career and never thought about it