National Defense University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 29, 2017

2.8

Foundation Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at National Defense University (Washington, DC) in February 2016.

Interview

A rather informal chat with the foundation team. The interview itself last about 1 hour. The team was very easy to relax with and this calmed my nerves quickly. I heard back the following week and had lost out to someone with slightly more experience but the message on my phone was kind and the interviewer took the time to give me some suggestions I was able to take on board. The foundation staff is a very small team and clearly worked well together. In an unusual twist the individual I was replacing was one of the interviewers.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at National Defense University (Washington, DC) in January 2016.

Interview

Great interview, felt very welcomes and extremely comfortable. Lasted about 45 minutes, asking me questions about how I would handle situations, have I experienced high level stress and how did I handle it.

Interview Questions

• If leadership gave you a task each, how would you prioritize them?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at National Defense University (Washington, DC) in August 2014.

Interview

I submitted a resume, cover letter, and writing sample. A couple weeks later, I was contacted by a senior fellow for an interview, which seemed more like a conversation than an actual interview. I was a bit surprised it wasn't more detailed than that, and I didn't get a say in which department picked me for an interview. Nevertheless, I was happy where I was placed.

Interview Questions

• Previous research experiences   1 Answer

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at National Defense University (Washington, DC) in April 2014.

Interview

Because I was not in the area, they asked to set up at VTC. I was unable to at the time due to my office moving buildings, so we actually did the interview via Google Hangouts. It was a round table panel and they all asked different questions, and passed me around on a cell phone, but it got the job done.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at National Defense University (Washington, DC).

Interview

Fairly easy process. Write a strong cover letter and resume, and highlight how your interests align with the college/research centers. Added insight: find 2-3 professors that have research interests that are similar to yours and point them out and why you'd like to work with them. Think of it as applying to graduate school. This place is a University, and showing that you did your homework, knowing how/what you can contribute to will really give the Internship Coordinator reason to accept you.

Negotiation

None.

Research Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at National Defense University.

Interview

Initial communication involved a response to a job posting. A phone interview followed. The process was easy and required minimal paper exchange. Finalization included proper registration for security access to the base. Overall it was an easy and straightforward process, but at higher levels of employment it would definitely get more complex.

Interview Questions

• The questions were mostly straightforward and relevant to my employment history.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at National Defense University (Washington, DC) in March 2013.

Interview

I applied online on a Friday. Heard back from the Intern Coordinator that following Monday, saying that she put my information into their system and that I would be contacted by a Research Fellow if their needs aligned with my experiences. Three hours later, I had an internship offer. No interview (although we did have a Skype call a day or two later to go over the position, but I had the position by that point, and it was more of a conversation)!

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at National Defense University (Washington, DC) in December 2012.

Interview

The interview was a comprehensive two-tiered panel comprised mainly of people in the National Defense University organization to which I applied. There were a combination of military and civilian personnel in my interview. Their questions were relatively standard interview questions and they were very helpful in answering all of the questions I asked.

Interview Questions

• Most questions asked about my research and national security background in general.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at National Defense University (Washington, DC) in May 2010.

Interview

Hiring took six months from the time I submitted my application to the time I started work. I put in my application on USA Jobs. Then I was called for a phone interview, followed by an in-person interview in front of a panel.

Interview Questions

• I was pleased to be asked about some FEMA courses that were on my resume. I never thought they would be note-worthy. I was pleased to see that someone had actually bothered to read my resume.   Answer Question
    • The panel that I sat in front of didn't really ask me lots of questions, which was indicative of the culture. My opinion didn't matter, as long as I continued to nod and smile.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiation was with the HR person. They offered me one amount. I said I was hoping for more, so they offered me a higher amount based on the federal pay scale for which I qualified. It was easy and not stressful.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at National Defense University in June 2011.

Interview

Contacted staff via email to send info (resume, cover letter, etc.) and later to set up phone interview. Asked basic background questions and then specific questions. Very friendly and courteous work environment, and extremely professional because they are still subject to strict DoD code of conduct. Great environment for an intern to learn about military matters.