National Democratic Institute Interview Questions | Glassdoor

National Democratic Institute Interview Questions

Interviews at National Democratic Institute

2.8

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at National Democratic Institute in March 2018.

Interview

Phone interview with the entire department (only three people). Very friendly, mostly just discussed when I could start and what specific skills I had which I could add to the department.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any experience producing videos or working with such technology?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at National Democratic Institute.

Interview

I got invited for a phone interview over a month after I submitted my application. The process itself was quick and easy. Interview questions focused on what I knew about the organization, why I was interested in the position I applied for, and how I thought it would benefit my future career path. Orientation is a bit much, especially for an intern position, but it turns out to be useful once you're actually working.

Interview Questions

• How did you first hear about NDI? This question threw me off because I wasn't sure how to answer it - at my university it was so well known, it was almost like asking how I first heard about the US government.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at National Democratic Institute (Washington, DC) in April 2012.

Interview

First I was contacted for an initial screening conversation. The conversation took around 30 min. Then I was moved to a written assessment test. The test was online for an hour.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at National Democratic Institute (Washington, DC) in December 2013.

Interview

I was emailed to schedule a phone interview a couple of weeks after applying at their website. The interview was conducted in English, Spanish and French. The job announcement said you only needed basic knowledge of French. Nevertheless it was clear during the interview that they were looking for a candidate who could speak it fluently.

Interview Questions

• Why I wanted to work with them and they asked me to repeat my resume to them. Also they wanted me to indicate the Latin American country which I thought needed more assistant from the US government.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at National Democratic Institute (Washington, DC) in July 2010.

Interview

Arrived at the office roughly 10 minutes ahead of the interview. I was forced to wait an additional 35 minutes to be interviewed. The decision to hire was probably already made by management, making my interview a formality. Regardless, forcing an applicant to wait more than 45 minutes to be interviewed was thoroughly unprofessional.

During the interview itself, the manager felt the need to remove their shoes and massage their feet. The questions were fairly generic without adequately gauging my skills, education or previous experience.

Even though the position was an internship, I still deserved some level of professional courtesy. Overall, I found the experience to be generally insulting and unbecoming of an organization that conducts great work throughout the world.

Senior Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at National Democratic Institute (Washington, DC) in January 2019.

Interview

This was the easiest interview ever in my 8 years of sysadmin experience
    Was meant to be with the Director of the Tech Team, but he got distracted and left after 2 minutes.
    I was left with several members of the "Tech Ops" team who spent the next hour lobbing me softball tech questions that just underlined their own lack of knowledge. I got the impression that they were using this interview to gain knowledge from me that they didn't have.
    After that, I was handed over to the "CTO" who asked some slightly harder (but frankly very dated) questions.
    It's not hard to impress this crowd, frankly.
    Not sure if I got an offer as I ghosted them after this experience.
    If you have no scruples and mediocre skills you will do well here.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at National Democratic Institute (Washington, DC) in December 2018.

Interview

Long so be prepared to take some time off if you are working. Phone Interview and then 3-4 in person interviews. They are unprofessional and despite all the time I dedicated to interview with them multiple times, they didn’t even have the decency to follow up and let me know that I wasn’t chosen. Which is fine since multiple recent reviews state that it’s a toxic work place with low pay and crappy PTO. Glad I held out for something better and DOMESTIC.

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at National Democratic Institute (Washington, DC) in November 2013.

Interview

Found job ad on university career service email. Applied online. Was contacted within one week and arranged a 1-on-1 interview. Interviewer was very friendly. The interview was largely based on questions about personal background and familiarity with the specific region. I did not proceed to the second round of interview due to work authorization issues. (NDI rarely sponsors for work authorizations.)

Human Resources Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at National Democratic Institute (Washington, DC) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied online on 8 July 2017. Received an email with request to schedule a phone interview with Senior Manager, Human Resources on 21 August 2017. She had very detailed questions about my resume and my experience. I liked her approach as she did not asked me to just to talk about my previous work as was done by other HR who contacted me. She had specific questions regarding specific information in my resume. She asked me about my salary expectations and I told her that I would llike to receive 40k-50k annually but it can be negotiated based on overal benefits package. We had a 1+ houre conversation. I asked her when they want the person to start working and she replied that approx in the middle of September 2017. I told her that I have one offer and one pending interview so she changed her approched and asked for in-person meeting to be scheduled the next day after phone interview. I went for interview with 2 people. We had known each other better through more detailed questions. She informed that that she is going on vacation and in case if I do not accept any other offer before she is back they will contact me again.
    As I understand such orginizations are not usually in a hurry so recrutiment processess takes more that 1 motnh.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 6 months and 1 year after employment?   1 Answer
    • Why we should hire you?   1 Answer

Human Resources Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at National Democratic Institute (Washington, DC).

Interview

Got a email within 1 week of applying requesting a phone interview by a HR assistant. Its was very difficult to understand the HR, she could hardly speak understandable english, and every time after my answer kept on saying thats great.

Interview Questions

• Basic question,
      What do you know about NDI,
      Weakness and strength
      Tell us about your self

I was also interested in the project assistant internship and mentioned it during the interview. I guess I should not have, after 3 emails following up and 1 calls never heard back. Happy i never heard back, got a internship at a much better international NGO who cared to reply back if I write and respects my time and efforts.   Answer Question