National Head Start Association Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at National Head Start Association

2.6

Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at National Head Start Association (Alexandria, VA).

Interview

Had to have a phone interview and complete a timed writing exercise before the in-person interview, which took place the following day. Kept me waiting 15 mins and did not apologize. Seemed uninterested during the interview. One of the interviewers—who I would’ve been working under—made a comment about not wanting to hire someone who turns out to be “dead weight.” Another interviewer (there were five, including the ED, who wasn’t very approachable) was on her phone most of the time, wouldn’t stop smirking, and seems to not know about the Mason-Dixon Line (don’t want to get into that, but so shocking I had to mention it). Toward the end of the interview, one of the interviewers said, “Don’t take this the wrong way, but you seem a little buttoned up.” I’m saddened that a great nonprofit like NHSA has such rude workers. Doesn’t seem like it matters if you’re genuinely drawn to their mission and have firsthand experience with at-risk children. Got the impression they want someone fresh out of college with a BA to give all the tedious work to. Yes, there must be great people working there (I must say that the office manager was very nice), but they did not interview me. Really don’t know why they brought me in. If you're not excited about a potential employee, don't invite them for an interview! Note: I haven't heard from HS, but I definitely don't want to work there anymore. Very disappointing.

Interview Questions

• How would you find your voice for Head Start? Who's the real person we would be working with?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Danville, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at National Head Start Association (Danville, IN) in April 2019.

Interview

Smoothly everything went along well! I was interviewed and told I wouldn’t hear back from them right Way but I would be hearing from them. And sure enough I did and was offered the job! Which I’m taking just waiting for the premoloyment drug screen. Which will go smoothly.

Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at National Head Start Association (Chapel Hill, NC) in January 2019.

Interview

For this intern position I had 2 phone interviews. They were both very low stress and both of the women I spoke to were very nice and friendly on the phone. However, my interview did last a little longer than they estimated it would.

Interview Questions

• How did you hear about NHSA?
      Why do you want to send a summer at our organization?
      What are two weaknesses or yours?
      Tell us about the two most recent job positions listed on your resume?   Answer Question

Associate Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at National Head Start Association in December 2018.

Interview

The interview was in a board room with two of the Directors of Education. The entire interview took one hour and 40 minutes. They were very thorough and gave me ample time to discuss my beliefs and answer each question openly and honestly. They asked many, many questions, but any educator who is confident and passionate about ECE shouldn’t have a problem!

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Head Start?   Answer Question
    • Why do you think you would be a good fit?   Answer Question
    • What do you think is the most important social issue impacting our society today? How can we help alleviate this issue?   Answer Question
    • How do you define discipline?   Answer Question
    • Would you be comfortable changing diapers or cleaning up after a child has become ill?   Answer Question
    • Describe a recent negative moment in your life, followed by a positive one. How did they affect you?   Answer Question
    • Are you comfortable working with a team?   Answer Question
    • How do you stay organized to ensure that deadlines are met?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if your boss asked you to do something that you don’t agree with?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever had a conflict with a coworker? How did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • Where do you see yourself in 5-10 years?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever worked with children with disabilities?   Answer Question

Health/Nutrition Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at National Head Start Association (Sacramento, CA) in July 2018.

Interview

I got an email after I applied online. I came in for an initial examination style panel interview, where the panel hasn't viewed my resume nor do they know anything about my experience. They gave me a paper with the list of 4 questions they will ask, 3 that ask about my experience with low income children and one situational question. I get an email a week later asking me to come back for a hiring interview. Again, it was a panel of 2 people who gave me the list of 4 questions that they will ask. The majority of the other potential hires were working for the company already, so I believe Head Start prefers internal hiring.

Interview Questions

• Why do you believe you are good for this position?   Answer Question
    • What are your experiences with low income children and families?   Answer Question
    • What is your experience with medical and dental needs of low income families?   Answer Question
    • If a coworker did not meet a deadline that you gave them, how would you react?   Answer Question
    • If a parent of a child who requires dental services is ignoring recommendations to see a dentist, what would you do?   Answer Question

Paraprofessional Interview

Anonymous Employee in South Bend, IN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at National Head Start Association (South Bend, IN) in September 2017.

Interview

Interview was brief. The manager got straight to the point. Compared to others it was very easy. They were very welcoming. Met 1 on 1. Showed around the school before offered a position.

Interview Questions

• Why I chose to work with children, Any former experience, Former head start student or parent?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at National Head Start Association.

Interview

Very straight forward. First interview, second interview, then offer. If run privately (by a non-profit), you have a better shot of getting in. If run by state/town, there is a lot of internal hiring.

Interview Questions

• Experience working with families?   1 Answer

Lead Preschool Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Midland, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at National Head Start Association (Midland, MI) in August 2017.

Interview

Went through a total three interviews. First two, was interviewed alone by one person. Third one, was interviewed by a panel of three people, along with two other candidates at the ssme time. All of us candidates had nearly the same answers to all the questions, so was very awkward andit seemed to me an inefficient way to interview.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a child with a biting problem?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Punta Gorda, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at National Head Start Association (Punta Gorda, FL) in July 2017.

Interview

This was a very Easy and short interview with two administrators asking questions from a list. I was called the same day and offered two different positions. Both were with a younger age group than I wanted.

Interview Questions

• Why do I enjoy working with children?   1 Answer
    • What is the hardest part of a job like this?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in South Bend, IN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at National Head Start Association (South Bend, IN).

Interview

Answered questions of my knowledge on children. They wanted to know if I would be able to work with children with disabilities, speech and or learning. Would you hit a child? Would I be able to work with children that came to me from broken homes or were they haven't eating. Would I be willing to advance my education. It was a calming interview. They didn't badger or say negatives about the company.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a child that s constantly hitting.   2 Answers