National Park Service Interview Questions | Glassdoor

National Park Service Interview Questions

Updated Oct 10, 2018

2.5

Park Ranger Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at National Park Service in January 2014.

Interview

Simple, straight forward interview process. Standard OPM questions. Nothing creative. I don't believe they ever did any reference checks. I don't have much more to write beyond that. I really don't recall much about the interview process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sonora, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at National Park Service (Sonora, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Very difficult to get an interview and you're primary beaten out by veterans. If you do it's standard, "we're looking for someone that can handle high stress and low pay" questions. Typically just trying to find effective working drones.

Interview Questions

• This position is located in a remote area without access to standard services, would this be ok with you?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at National Park Service (Boston, MA).

Interview

Formal in nature. Face-to-Face. Usually a phone interview for most candidates who are not local. It could be done in better way by ensuring that it is done in a quicker manner as well.

Interview Questions

• How do you work with people?   1 Answer

Park Ranger Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at National Park Service.

Interview

I applied online through USA Jobs then about 3 weeks later I was called for an over the phone interview. The interview was pretty average- no trick questions- just insuring that it was a good fit for the both of us. I was then asked to fill out the background check information. This was extremely extensive. I filled out all of previous employers and places of residence for the last 5 years and every single person I had lived with or worked for was contacted. After that process was through I was given a drug test. Only after that point was I offered a position.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at National Park Service (Boston, MA) in April 2012.

Interview

THe application on usajobs was a very extensive and tedious one, but once it was filled out, it didn't leave many questions for the interviewer.

Got a phone call to set up a time and place for interview within a week. The interview lasted about an hour. They asked you questions about what you know about the job, previous experience you may have that would benefit them with the new position, if offered to you. Preliminary "why do you want to work for NPS?"

Easy interview with a great guy who would end up being my boss.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to describe one time were I had to deal with a difficult situation in the workplace, and how I went about solving the problem.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The pay was as stated, so all you needed to do was choose a start date and get all the paperwork in order.

Park Ranger Interview

Interview

Over the phone and mainly focused on people-related skills. They greatly use your references listed and are looking for dynamic individuals that have an interest in interpreting the importance of the parks.

Interview Questions

• Describe what it means to foster a relationship between people and parks?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Crescent City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at National Park Service (Crescent City, CA).

Interview

The culture is to help people and connect them with the park and the environment to create a sense of stewardship on both an intellectual and emotional level. The job itself is perceived to be all fun and walking in the woods, when it actually involves the tedium of working in high volume visitor centers most off the time, or walking high volume trails to assist visitors with repetitive questions. Those questions have been heard by each ranger thousands of times, but asked by each visitor only once- so you must maintain a sense of humor and patience. You must also be flexible and learn to "read" and match the needs of the visitor rather than impose what you might think the need of the visitor is on them.

Interview Questions

• " At what age do deer become elk?" and questions of that type are common. they are not meant to be funny, but must be answered in a manner to teach without becoming preachy or humiliating the visitor- I tended to use a gentle humor. Daily, often asked questions get old fast, but treating each visitor as if they were the first and only person to ask "Where's the restroom?" can make or break the mood of their visit, and their impression of the park as a whole. Patience, patience,patience!   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at National Park Service (Columbus, OH) in October 2016.

Interview

Phone interview. Very straight forward. Started with a description of the job, remoteness of the area, then pretty standard interview questions. Asked two questions about whether I would wear the uniform correctly. Asked why they should hire me.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any problems when it comes to wearing the uniform correctly?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at National Park Service in March 2014.

Interview

Apply, phone interview, in-person interview and job offer.Initial application to phone interview process was about three weeks to a month. Time inbetween phone and in person interview was two or three weeks. Applicants have to go through the New England Human Resources office then they go back for approval after the interviews. Started working about one or two weeks after I accepted the job offer. Job also comes with uniform allowance.

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at National Park Service.

Interview

Phone interview with the person who'd be supervising me. It was a very chill experience, where they asked me about my experiences and had me connect them to the internship position. They also verified that I'd be able to physically perform the job duties.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable working in adverse weather conditions?   Answer Question