National Park Service Interview Questions | Glassdoor

National Park Service Interview Questions

Interviews at National Park Service

2.4

Archaeologist Interview

Interview

First I went through the HR phase. They just want to make sure you're a good fit. Then I had a quick and easy phone call with my manager. Mostly just questions about my prior experiences that related to the job. Also some questions about teamwork.

Interview Questions

• How many years of GIS work have you had?   1 Answer

Administrative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at National Park Service.

Interview

Asked basics questions, why you want this job, what experience you have doing the role in previous positions. Know the general information about the park you are applying for. If you have a chance to network ahead of time that helps also.

Hydrologist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at National Park Service in January 2019.

Interview

In a word...incompetent. It was painfully clear that the supervisors and interview panel really didn't have a plan for how to interview or have any experience with hiring regulations, although the final candidates (including myself) were flown in from across the country. Some on the interview panel didn't realize that the interviews were taking place on that date and came in late. Although I didn't get the job, I feel lucky that I dodged a terrible work place. Please note that it actually took 3 1/2 years to finally hire this position.

Interview Questions

• The "questions" were a broad range of random topics and I was surprised by many since they didn't have anything to do with the requirements of the position. I felt that the interview panel was completely unprepared and grasping for straws. One of them finally admitted that he hadn't put much thought into what the position would actually be doing. This was obvious by the employers lack of planning for the interview.   Answer Question

Park Guide Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at National Park Service.

Interview

I was interviewed by the lead park ranger over the phone. I applied for the position and was initially rejected. Then it was about one and a half or two months before I got a call about interviewing. Once interviewed, I was offered the position a few days later and it was about a month before my entry on duty. Most candidates with more priority than me had accepted other offers before interviews were held.

Interview Questions

• Mostly typical job interview questions that I had prepared for. One question I had not heard before was something along the lines of "think of a supervisor you like working with. Why do you enjoy working for this person?"   Answer Question

Seasonal Interp Ranger Interview

Interview

I applied on USAJOBS.ORG and was got an email about a month later saying that i was referred to a hiring authority. I did a phone interview with the chief of interpretation a week after I received the email. I heard back two weeks after that

Interpretive Ranger Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lynchburg, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at National Park Service (Lynchburg, VA) in February 2018.

Interview

I had a phone interview with one individual and they just asked basic questions. It took maybe 15 minutes. They told me they get in touch with me 1 or 2 weeks later to let me know f I was hired or not. I never got a call back and it's been over a month. Go figure.

Interview Questions

• What made you interested in interpretation?   1 Answer

Security Guard Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at National Park Service (New York, NY) in December 2017.

Interview

It was fast and was easy. I could not wait.The days flew by and I had to do some paperwork but it just ask about me and other stuff like that.

Application

Interview

The hiring process was lengthy, as is expected with Federal jobs. I had one phone interview, and didn’t actually meet anyone I was working with until my first day on the job. Very standard, personality-based interview questions.

Information Technology Spe Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Homestead, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at National Park Service (Homestead, FL) in November 2017.

Interview

Everglades National Park

A month after applying I surprisingly was scheduled for an interview; seemed almost too good to be true considering I've been playing the federal government's twisted hiring game for ten years.

I was interviewed by the IT Division's manager and two other IT employees. Overall, it was not a hard interview and it lasted about an hour. Just about 20 standard situational questions that had some IT related items mixed in.

The vibe that the team gave me from the time I arrived was that they already had their minds set before interviewing me and they simply had to go through the motions of interviewing all the applicants that were referred. The interviewer that walked me to the elevator after the interview seemed like he wanted to tell me something but couldn't. I left happy that I finally had an interview with NPS but I knew wasn't getting this position before I even left their building.

Today I received the boilerplate thanks but no thanks email making it official that I didn't get the position :/

Interview Questions

• Who would you handle first? The Park Superintendent or the other party that you were already dispatched to.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at National Park Service.

Interview

Phone interview with the person who'd be supervising me. It was a very chill experience, where they asked me about my experiences and had me connect them to the internship position. They also verified that I'd be able to physically perform the job duties.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable working in adverse weather conditions?   Answer Question