National Park Service Interview Questions | Glassdoor

National Park Service Interview Questions

Updated Jun 21, 2017

2.5

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at National Park Service.

Interview

Phone interview with the person who'd be supervising me. It was a very chill experience, where they asked me about my experiences and had me connect them to the internship position. They also verified that I'd be able to physically perform the job duties.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable working in adverse weather conditions?   Answer Question

Research Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at National Park Service.

Interview

I have a great phone interview that turned into a lengthy conversation about how my experience was greatly desired. Needless to say, I got the job right then and there.

Interview Questions

• How has your past work experience and education prepared you for this position?   Answer Question

Park Ranger Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at National Park Service (Columbus, OH) in October 2016.

Interview

Phone interview. Very straight forward. Started with a description of the job, remoteness of the area, then pretty standard interview questions. Asked two questions about whether I would wear the uniform correctly. Asked why they should hire me.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any problems when it comes to wearing the uniform correctly?   1 Answer

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at National Park Service (Washington, DC) in October 2016.

Interview

Meet with Intern coordinator, director of visitors service, and site manager. Very laid back interview with people very passionate about their work. Most of the interview the Director of Visitors service spoke about the history of the park and how it became a federal institution.

Interview Questions

• What can you bring to the Park Service to help increase visitation?   Answer Question

Usher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at National Park Service.

Interview

Quick but thorough. I went in as a student, and got interviewed for a while. Asked questions about my interests, academically and otherwise. I had an overall positive experience in my interview process and was one of the less aggressive interviewing styles

Interpretive Park Ranger Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at National Park Service (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

The interview was done by phone, but was fairly extensive. I spent a total of 2 hours on the phone with a supervisor discussing my motives for being a Ranger and relaying my knowledge of the NPS, related government agencies/departments as well as the history and geology of the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem.

Seasonal Interpretive Park Ranger Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Myers, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at National Park Service (Fort Myers, FL) in April 2016.

Interview

I applied for a seasonal park ranger position and had one phone interview. I was offered the position, but declined. The interviewer was not enthusiastic and seemed like she was just trying to fill a position at the last minute because she had to. Even though this was an interpretive "Park Ranger" job, it turned out they just wanted someone to staff the visitor center's main desk during an off-peak time of the year.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to work in all weather conditions?   1 Answer

Vua Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at National Park Service.

Interview

Now, this was the old hiring official and i'm sure the new one won't be truthful like she is. But they will call you and ask you if you're still interested in the job. It took maybe 2-4 months after applying. I did the interview right then and there. Then maybe a month later at the most, they offered the job to me.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to standing for up to 8-9 hours straight? Are you willing to work in heat that can reach 110 degrees or more? At times you can be verbally abused by visitors who do not want to pay the fee to just drive through or pay the tunnel fee, are you willing to work with that and if so, how would you handle it? Then just the normal stuff like working in close quarters and working with difficult people etc etc.   Answer Question

Park Ranger Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sonora, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at National Park Service (Sonora, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Very difficult to get an interview and you're primary beaten out by veterans. If you do it's standard, "we're looking for someone that can handle high stress and low pay" questions. Typically just trying to find effective working drones.

Interview Questions

• This position is located in a remote area without access to standard services, would this be ok with you?   1 Answer

Park Guide Interview

Anonymous Employee in Athens, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at National Park Service (Athens, GA) in March 2016.

Interview

I had a phone interview with a supervisory ranger. It lasted about 1 hour. She asked the usual interview questions as well as some more in-depth questions about park specific material.

Interview Questions

• Describe an experience in which you worked well with a team.   Answer Question