Nationwide Building Society Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Nationwide Building Society Interview Questions

Updated Mar 17, 2017

Graduate Business Transformation Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Nationwide Building Society (London, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

1. Online application and answer two questions.
    - In 200-300 words let us know what interests you in working for Nationwide and why this
    particular programme?
    - What are your current career aspirations and how might the programme help with this? (200-
    300 words for answer)

2. Online tests situational judgement, numerical and verbal reasoning.

3. Phone interview with really friendly HR (says 30 mins, line took 45).

2 practice questions (unmarked) such as:

- What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?
    - What is something you are really proud of?

Marked part of interview 9 questions (some require specific examples and some are hypothetical- what would you do?)

- At Nationwide the workplace is fast paced and always changing, is this somewhere you'd like to and enjoy working?
    - How would you deal with a change in procedure?
    - When given the opportunity would you prefer to work within a team or on your own?
    - How do you approach decision making?
    - Is this something you enjoy doing?
    - What does credibility mean to you?
    - How would you go about making yourself come across as a credible individual?
    - Would you say your family and friends describe you as driven and hardworking?
    - You have to present to the internal team, get feedback before presenting to senior members to secure funding tomorrow. How do you approach two different audiences?

NOTE: All graduate Schemes are in Swindon / a few places in Bournemouth. I did not know this until this stage and despite the application process going so well.

Customer Service Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Nationwide Building Society (Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

I recently applied for a customer service position in a Nationwide call centre. It's the only interview I've done that I knew I'd failed before I'd even started.

I arrived early as the paperwork stated the reception area can get very busy. I noticed that the majority of staff were female.

Prior to starting the interview process I asked to use the toilet. Both of the main toilet blocks had been converted to female rooms due to the much higher percentage of female staff. I am male and there was a single toilet which was also the designated disabled access point. As I left this single toilet there was a male member of staff waiting to use it.

This got me thinking, how would they cope with just one toilet if they suddenly employed more male staff members. That's when I realised I wouldn't be getting the job.

They told me I was only one point away from passing the interview process. It made me wonder how many other people were only one point away from passing the interview process and what their backgrounds were.

Another strange occurrence was that at the beginning of the day we were given a 20 minute briefing that covered health and safety such as fire escape points and an introduction to Nationwide. It was hosted by a member of staff from recruitment who stated she had 18 years experience with Nationwide. During the briefing this senior member of staff did not make eye contact with me once. However, she made constant eye contact with the two female candidates. I thought this was odd behaviour from someone with so much experience that should know how important eye contact is.

Senior Contact Targeting Planner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Nationwide Building Society (Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

This was an internal role and already would be a different experience than being an extermal applicant. Line manager was in the interview which I would definitely suggest not to do.

I was given about 1 1/2 days to prepare for the interview, which included a task. The task lasted 15mins which we then spent 10 mins going through, giving my answers as I saw fit. This is something I know colleagues who had applied for the same role (on different channels) did not have to do.

The next 1 hour was spent answering 5 competency questions, these were very similar, if not the same as the first interview I had attended for my current role. Again I answered the questions as I best saw fit.

I was then not offered the role, only to be told that they knew (my line manager included) that I was capable of doing the role, but I had not answered in the way they were looking for. So my current capabilities were not considered and it was solely based on interview performance.

Interview Questions

• A time you persuaded someone to your viewpoint?   Answer Question
    • Q: What was one thing that they asked you?   1 Answer

Customer Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Nationwide Building Society (London, England (UK)).

Interview

First stage is a online aptitude test. This is relatively straight forward and I got the results within a week.Then a phone interview that consisted of about 5 questions wanting to know why I wanted to work for nationwide and why I would be a suitable candidate. Followed by an in store interview with two branch managers. The interview lasted just under 2 hours and consisted of questions and a presentation. I was told in advance the types of questions that may be asked and give ample time to prepare.

Interview Questions

• About nationwides pride values?
      Explain how you would cope in different situations
      Provide examples of difficulties and how you overcame them in past employment

Customer Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Nationwide Building Society (London, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

First stage was an interview with loads of other people. You get a brief presentation of the company, what they do and what they are looking for. Then you get called in by different managers one by one to a room and get asked a few questions about yourself. If you get past this stage you go on to do an interview with potentially your branch manager and a second person who will be jotting down notes. For this part you will have to prepare a 5 minute presentation on a Nationwide product of your choice. You also get asked a couple competency based questions.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of where you went the extra mile for a customer.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Nationwide Building Society in November 2016.

Interview

The initial application was quite straight forward. After submitting my application, I received an email telling me I had a three days to complete the online assessments. The online assessments consisted of two Situational Judgement test, a Numerical Reasoning test, and a Verbal Reasoning test. The tests are relatively standard and you can do well if you practice beforehand. After passing the tests, I was invited to have a Strength-based interview with the HR manager. This interview was done over the phone. The questions in the interview are quite broad and you are expected to give examples of time when you demonstrate the company's values. If you want to do well in the phone interview, I highly recommend reviewing the PRIDE values and thinking of examples for each value. Overall, the HR manager was very professional and did a good job at making the experience a good one.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me a time that you are proud of?
      Why do you want to work for Nationwide?
      Can you think of a time you took the lead in a team?

Human Resources Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nationwide Building Society (Durham, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

Following online tests, I was invited to a phone interview. They said it would be 'strength-based', but there were a few competency-based questions thrown in which caught me off guard, as well as some situational judgement scenarios too. They're definitely looking for you to ask a few questions at the end of the interview too.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Nationwide?
      How would your friends describe you?
      How would you ensure that everyone got on board with an idea you suggested?

Fraud Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Nationwide Building Society (Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied for a role as a Fraud Analyst with a closing date of around 2 1/2 weeks post applying, I heard back around 4 weeks after applying, asking me to confirm an interview date. I was then sent 4/5 'Competency Questions' which are Nationwide behaviours with definitions.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you've been flexible in adapting to a new system?

Also, questions such as 'Why do you want the role?', 'Why are you suitable to the role', 'What relevant experience do you have relating to the role?'
      1 Answer

I decided to leave the society completely due to the lack of support that I had been receiving from my line manager. There was also lack of progression and development opportunities here and therefore found a company more suitable.

Operations Graduate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nationwide Building Society (Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

After filling out an online application form and undertaking online I tests I had a telephone interview. It was strength based and fair. Gave me two practise questions at the start about my hobbies.

Interview Questions

• Asked me how I would approach a change in procedure.
      Asked me how I would make an impact in the business

Customer Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bath, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nationwide Building Society (Bath, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

First stage was applying online through the online application process, and then taking the online assessment, which was relatively straightforward, just about customer role play and how you would handle situations. Then it was a telephone interview, which only took 10 minutes and was again very straightforward, and finally the 1-1 interview.

My interview was in-branch with the Customer Services Manager and the Branch Manager, both of whom were so nice and friendly. They asked me 5 questions based on their PRIDE values (you can find this information on their website), so just have a couple of examples for each value and you'll be fine.

They also ask you to do a "presentation" on one of their products which doesn't have to be formal. I decided to do mine on mortgages for first time buyers as if they were my customers and I was trying to encourage them to buy the product, as opposed to just sitting there and rambling on about it, and I think doing it in this style is what secured the job for me.

We got on fantastically and they really put me at ease. I received a call that afternoon to say I had been offered the role.

Interview Questions

• Name a time that you had to work extra hard to achieve a better result for yourself.   1 Answer